BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2011 Transfer Window Part One

JAL- I've never recovered from Shearer departing- we are part of a messy business where loyalty rarely exists and money rules-that's not defeatism, that's realism.

Yeh, what an awful day, stood there in his bloody Newcastle shirt, felt sick!

Bellamy leaving was a sad day aswell.

So lets say for discussions sake Jones or Samba leave (don't sell both ffs), who would be our targets as a replacement. Heard a little rumour about a lad from Auxerre. Two good centre halves have gone down with Brum. Sorry if all this has been covered, been out of the loop a little bit.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..... which we won't be if we keep selling our best players! Its called "Catch 22" i believe.

Correct. The only way really to combat that is to have a very wealthy owner that can quickly move a club to that position.

In regards to keeping any of our key players does anyone else feel that having an inexperienced and low status in the game manager will make our task even harder to keep the likes of Jones and Samba? If Hughes was here I would be confident that Jones would stay on for another season. With Sparky's reputation in the game if he thinks you should stay one more year then a player might take notice. Kean might well manage to hold on to one or both this summer and he will get credit for that but I can't help feel our task is made harder by having him as our manager.

Correct. The only way really to combat that is to have a very wealthy owner that can quickly move a club to that position.

In regards to keeping any of our key players does anyone else feel that having an inexperienced and low status in the game manager will make our task even harder to keep the likes of Jones and Samba? If Hughes was here I would be confident that Jones would stay on for another season. With Sparky's reputation in the game if he thinks you should stay one more year then a player might take notice. Kean might well manage to hold on to one or both this summer and he will get credit for that but I can't help feel our task is made harder by having him as our manager.

Jack Walker sold Shearer because he wanted to go.

Sparky couldn't keep his stars either. Bellamy was his pal - came and went.

But if you want to have a cheap shot at Kean, that's up to you.

I'm a bit uneasy with this story. It looks like if Jones now does go then everybody will turn on him saying he's greedy, he won't play at a top club anyway etc.

Nicko are you sure the club aren't trying to offload him to the highest bidder regardless of whether he wants to stay? Rumours are that was their plan in Jan before he got injured.

I'm astounded and deeply disappointed at the surrender monkeys on here thinking Rovers will sell Jones and Samba, your not Rovers fans in my eyes, just dont know how any true Rovers fan can come out with such nonsense.

I stopped believing the Rovers could hold onto players after Fred Pickering left for Everton. At the time we, along with Everton, were battling for the title. Since that time I've lost count of the players we have lost to the so called bigger clubs. Unfortunately, small town clubs like the Rovers will always struggle to keep their better players. Even Jack couldn't keep the Championship winning squad together once they realised that the Rovers weren't going to be competitive at the top of the League. The best players want to test their skills at the highest level and today that means Champions League football. Unless Venkys are going to invest vast fortunes into the club there is no way that Champions League football is coming to Ewood Park. If Jones and Samba want to be with a club challenging for the top four places, sadly, that means moving away from Ewood Park.

Both are on contracts and the club could hold them to the contracts. However, the reality is that if a player wants to move he will usually get what he wants, particularly if the buying clubs are prepared to pay huge fees for them.

If Jones wants to go then I wont feel so sad to see him leave and I wouldnt blame the management for cashing in on him if there is genuine interest from 4/5 big big clubs. I think he'll stay for one further year.

Samba isn't as good as he thinks he is. He's a big player for us but I doubt he'd do particularly well for an Arsenal type of team.

If the lad wants to go, then the club will sell to the highest bidder.

If the lad doesn't want to, the clubs will be told to forget it.

Fortunately Jones seems a level-headed type, so he is capable of making the right decision.

I think he could play on for Rovers for one more season at least. But really that is HIS choice.

The consoaltion is that there are so many big hitters out there that you have one of the biggest legitimate auctions possible.

I understand some background checks have been made on Mutu. No more at this stage.

Sturridge will be at Chelsea for the short-term future, but that depends on who the next boss is and whether he fancies the lad...Coyley will be first in for him.

Ba is looking for silly money and would struggle to pass a medical. Avoid.

I agree nicko, that Jones does seem to be level headed and think his family are very good people. I can see Jones staying at rovers for a couple more years.

Samba said he is waiting to see who we sign first before decided whether to stay or goes.

Rovers should try to get DS before Bolton does. very good player.

I would make a bid for Defoe who is available at Spurs. He is a proven PL goalscorer and that is what we need a rovers. I can see Kean making a bid for RSC. But we should be making sure we sign J Jones up within the next couple of weeks. He is a must buy if we can agree a fee with Schalke!

Nicko. Any truth to a couple of rumours niko kalinic will be going. If that is the case we could need 3 strikers in the summer. Also any marquee signings the owners are looking at

I'm a bit uneasy with this story. It looks like if Jones now does go then everybody will turn on him saying he's greedy, he won't play at a top club anyway etc.

Nicko are you sure the club aren't trying to offload him to the highest bidder regardless of whether he wants to stay? Rumours are that was their plan in Jan before he got injured.

I don't think anyone would blame the lad for going to a top club. But it would be better if he waited. It's not about greed, it's about where he sees his career going. He is very well paid already.

This has been handled in quite a clean way. There are massive clubs out there for him. It is only fair to make a sane decision on it. Fortunately he is a guy who is capable of making that.

The manager is also on record as saying they don't want to sell. But, ultimately, the player decides that...and then the club decides the fee. I don't think you would struggle to get big money because of some pretty unique circumstances. It is a summer when all the big boys have a vacancy and they want to spend.

There was no plan to sell him in January. He was injured for a kick off.

Nicko. Any truth to a couple of rumours niko kalinic will be going. If that is the case we could need 3 strikers in the summer. Also any marquee signings the owners are looking at

Kalinic will go if anybody wants him and the deal is right. The Rangers rumour is not right though.

As for targets...it would pointless to say until you know what is happening with Jones. If he leaves you will have a £15 million cheque or a player or two in the package. If he stays then it will be a case of sorting out a striker or two and tying down Jermaine Jones.

So the myth that Venkys were actively trying to sell Jones against his will in January has been erased- those pesky insider sources hey?

Nicko- from the clubs interested in Jones what players are surplus to requirements that Rovers could be interested in?

Welcome back Alan,nice to see you back on here. :tu:

The issue here about Jones and Samba potentially leaving is replacements.I don`t have a problem with either or both going,however,the crucial part is picking up ambitious players who have slipped through the radar (as we did with Samba and Nelsen)that are going to be EQUALLY as good if not better.

To keep both here,and i think that is very easy to do,we need to sign players that the existing players know will improve the squad.For my money i think we should try to sign J.Jones on a permanent deal and bring in 2 quality strikers.Jermain Defoe would be my first choice if he would come along with maybe a younger player with potential who could chip in with a few goals.

Either way Rovers have their work cut out and it won`t be a dull summer that`s for sure!

Jack Walker sold Shearer because he wanted to go.

Sparky couldn't keep his stars either. Bellamy was his pal - came and went.

But if you want to have a cheap shot at Kean, that's up to you.

In all honesty if Kean manages to sign a star striker,I think that would convince Jones and Samba to stay and with fairness to the 2 players that`s what they want to see the club do.

Time for Venky`s to put their money where their mouth is now and show not just the supporters,but the team as well that they mean business.

So the myth that Venkys were actively trying to sell Jones against his will in January has been erased- those pesky insider sources hey?

Nicko- from the clubs interested in Jones what players are surplus to requirements that Rovers could be interested in?

MAN U...Fergie's interest is a surprise, but he does like to stick his nose in and he won't want to miss out on the best young English centre half around...you could take some of his squad men but probably best to have his cash. Would Phil Jones want to go there? Tough call.

MAN CITY...Been very hot for him lately and they do have the cash and plenty of players...Onuoha is available and SWP...Would Phil Jones want to go there? Would he play?

ARSENAL...Wenger tried for him before but that was BEFORE he realised he needs a beast at the back rather than another footballer...lots of good players to have in exchange...and I know Jones's agent would like him to go there...But does Phil?

LIVERPOOL...Signing for Kenny Dalglish is always an attraction for any player...would be a perfect fit...have they got the money to take on the big boys?...would offer some of their fringe men like Kyrgiakos but do they have appeal?...would Phil Jones go there? Probably.

TOTTENHAM...you would get the best choice of swaps off Spurs, but not the big straight cash deal needed...Would Phil Jones go there? Quite an attractive move.

CHELSEA...fancied him most of any club in the run-up to the last window...but signed David Luiz...probably a non-runner.

I can honestly never rememmber any one player attracting so much interest at the one time.

the chiken farmers own us big time...

they half two give us what i deserve or ill screm an screm until im thsic :angry:

they MUST get there money out were my mouth is and give samba an jonsey whatefer money they wand AND garantee them the champion leage football i deserfe by bringing in another FIVE briliant players - why not MESSI - he will make them huge in india and the rest off africa...

any of youse that disagre are NOT REAL FANS LIKE ME AN MY MATES AR - so do won :brfcsmilie:

simples...............

that's the issue for Phil Jones is he likely to play most games for any top 6 club? The answer is probably no apart from Arsenal.

In the Daily star sunday say Liverpool want Dann and Spurs want Shawcross

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/194457/Birmingham-s-Scott-Dann-a-big-8m-Liverpool-target-/

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/194484/Harry-Redknapp-plans-Ryan-Shawcross-deal/

Welcome back pal, glad you've got a thick skin. It's just a shame you've no good news for us. I go back to the Fred Pickering era as well, I was gutted when he went to Everton, a week or two later he was back at Ewood playing for them ! As far as Jones is concerned if he wants to go he'll go , the players run the show now. What the fans think or the management at the club think won't matter. If we lose both our centre halves it'll be a diasaster, you could argue that those two more than any other players did the most to keep us up. Indeed I'd say we only started to turn the corner when P Jones returned from injury. If he does go we need to maximise our earnings, He's a once in a generation player who is in big demand, so we should be talking a massive fee. I'm just worried a) He'll go on the cheap, B) We won't see all of it, and c) We'll squander it on journeymen like Larrson.

I can honestly never rememmber any one player attracting so much interest at the one time.

At 15m, I'm shocked the top clubs in Europe aren't interested. :P

Just when we were getting a spine in our team.

You say Chelsea are no longer interested, others with good contacts would suggest that's incorrect.

At 15m, I'm shocked the top clubs in Europe aren't interested. :P

Just when we were getting a spine in our team.

You say Chelsea are no longer interested, others with good contacts would suggest that's incorrect.

Bring them on.

But...

No manager. No immediate need for a centre half.

And the scouts who fancied him also left...

MAN U...Fergie's interest is a surprise, but he does like to stick his nose in and he won't want to miss out on the best young English centre half around...you could take some of his squad men but probably best to have his cash. Would Phil Jones want to go there? Tough call.

MAN CITY...Been very hot for him lately and they do have the cash and plenty of players...Onuoha is available and SWP...Would Phil Jones want to go there? Would he play?

ARSENAL...Wenger tried for him before but that was BEFORE he realised he needs a beast at the back rather than another footballer...lots of good players to have in exchange...and I know Jones's agent would like him to go there...But does Phil?

LIVERPOOL...Signing for Kenny Dalglish is always an attraction for any player...would be a perfect fit...have they got the money to take on the big boys?...would offer some of their fringe men like Kyrgiakos but do they have appeal?...would Phil Jones go there? Probably.

TOTTENHAM...you would get the best choice of swaps off Spurs, but not the big straight cash deal needed...Would Phil Jones go there? Quite an attractive move.

CHELSEA...fancied him most of any club in the run-up to the last window...but signed David Luiz...probably a non-runner.

thats because he's the best young player in the country and i'm sorry £15m and/or a choice of bit part players at these clubs just aint enough

i hope that Phil Jones see's sense and although the thought of joining these clubs is highly attractive , the facts are that out of the 6 clubs mentioned he wouldnt command a regular starting slot at Utd Chelsea or City , Liverpool arnt a top 4 club anymore and Spurs and Arsenal never win anything

*Time to firmly secure my tin hat*

I'm glad this story has come out. I can actually talk about it now.

Whether you want to believe this or not is entirely up to you. Jones does not like Kean as manager and has been vocal about that fact to friends. From what I understand, this is an opinion shared by much of the team but as true professionals, they are rightly presenting a different picture to the press.

I would imagine that the only way we would keep Phil Jones, is to replace Kean.

Furthermore for those of you that think that Venkys will put every penny of Jones' and Samba's sale back into the transfer fund - :rolleyes:

It's going to be mental for the next few weeks...

Phil Jones's decision should be quick. You can't pretend that nothing is going on with this one. ALL of the big ones [with the current exception of Chelsea] want him. So it is only right that you put the question to the lad and take it from there. If he wants to stay it will be the biggest transfer success of the summer.

Welcome back Nicko.

If we keep hold of Jones do we have the finances to strengthen the team eg add a quality midfielder and striker or will we be shopping in beggars alley?

Whether you want to believe this or not is entirely up to you. Jones does not like Kean as manager and has been vocal about that fact to friends. From what I understand, this is an opinion shared by much of the team but as true professionals, they are rightly presenting a different picture to the press.

I would imagine that the only way we would keep Phil Jones, is to replace Kean.

Furthermore for those of you that think that Venkys will put every penny of Jones' and Samba's sale back into the transfer fund - :rolleyes:

How likely is this to happen tho? Also what type of manager could the owners attract to rovers?

Archived