BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2011 Transfer Window Part One

I thought we had established that Jones' old contract had a release clause of 8mill?

In the past I've been one of Venky's biggest critics, but it baffles me how people can attribute any blame to them over the Jones transfer.

No one can blame them over the transfer, they can however be blamed for having no experienced people in charge at the club from top to bottom!!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why has nicko removed his 11 oclocker from last night and left this strange statement, light weight amature tabloid journalist.

why has nicko removed his 11 oclocker from last night and left this strange statement, light weight amature tabloid journalist.

First rule of insulting a journalist is to spell the insult correctly :rolleyes:

Some interesting statements being made about Phil Jones contract, all presumably speculation and not through inside knowledge. So let me speculate. Phil Jones contract pre-negotiation had a release clause in it that was set at a level for a young reserve, albeit with potential, breaking into the first team - let's say £8M. Perhaps the renegotiation was to protect Rovers interest more as it became clearer that Jones talent wasn't just raw. In which case it would have been a NEGOTIATION with the player and his agent - the one side trying to keep the clause low and the other push it higher. That would lay the "blame" at the doors of the previous regime? And frankly, if you took the blue and white specs off and asked whether getting £16M for a 19 year old DEFENDER, with less than a seasons worth of first team appearances and one serious injury under his belt was good value, I think it probably is.

Of course that's all just my speculation...

I dont understand why everyone isn't fully behind Venky's trying to keep one of our best players or try and get more money for him.

Venky's aren't idiots when it comes to law. They'll have top lawyers going over the contracts with a nit comb trying to find a loop hole. Good luck to them!

Surely if the clause was as straight forward as people think then it wouldn't have dragged on so long and United wouldn't have bid a reported £16.5 million. Why would they have wasted an extra 500k if they didn't need too. It's like me going to a shop and buying a t-shirt on sale at £16 and paying more for it. It's not normal to do that UNLESS the sale isn't as straight forward as we're led to believe.

I accept that Jones is going to go but I hope we get as much money out of United as we can. The worst that can happen is that he leaves for £16m.

Get into 'em Venkys!!!!

The release clause was a mistake, obviously, but in January it looked like he was out for the season and we'd be able to hang on to him for another year as a result - or else face bids around the 8-10m mark, which a £16m release clause allows us to reject. As it happens, he came back early and as good as we remembered, and the £16m looks like a cheap price tag. Ho hum.

Let's get Fergie's cash and start spending it. We're not going to keep him and we're probably not going to get any extra.

The clause is the 'fault' of Jones and his agent. Not JW, not Venky's.

Holding the club he 'supports' to ransom shows his true colours and his agent would have known full well the market value of a young, English star in the making.

If it's a move done by owners people are determined to criticise no matter whgat they do, maybe.

If it's a move made by owners people were broadly supportive of it would no doubt be regarded as good hard nosed business practice.

Rev, I've already put you right about Venky's thinking he was worth more than £16m, which you didn't know about. You came in this thread this morning, admitting to not having read any of it. So rather than just opposing anyone who thinks Venky's have handled this badly, go back and read it through.

The clause is the 'fault' of Jones and his agent. Not JW, not Venky's.

Holding the club he 'supports' to ransom shows his true colours and his agent would have known full well the market value of a young, English star in the making.

Does any one know who was representing Jones throughout the negotiation process?

I believe it is this "person" who we should be directing the "We hate Venkeys" tirade against. Also, Jones himself should not come away from this smelling of roses.

I actually think that we should be praising the Raos and Mrs Desai for trying to stick up for the club, regardless of the outcome.

I thought we had established that Jones' old contract had a release clause of 8mill?

In the past I've been one of Venky's biggest critics, but it baffles me how people can attribute any blame to them over the Jones transfer.

No we havent. If the clause was £8m then Arsenal would have triggered it last summer.

We dont know if any clause was in his contract before January. If there was then maybe this is good business, if not, then its terrible business by the club.

I dont know why we would allow release clauses in any young players deal. Newcastle and Sunderland didnt for their young talent, and they are going to get more for their players than we are getting for IMO a better talent than both of those.

Lets not forget this was a 5 year deal too - if £16m is his value now, what would it have been in 5 years if he had developed into a full England international.

If Formica is going to come good, then effectively players like Nolan are of no use as they'd play in the same role. In fact Hoilett already occupies that role. We need to go for a central midfielder who is comfortable in a flat central midfield of 2, rather than a roaming one in the hole behind the striker.

Hoilett must be able to read the way the wind blows. If he re-signs for us will he insist on such a clause as well? With only one year left on his contract, we are in no position to refuse are we?

General question - for those potentially in the know - if United are whiter than white in this whole sorry saga - why haven't they issued a press statement - or even leaked something to the press ?

There is also another side to this - the Venky's saw some of the reaction from the fans to the transfer (i.e. sold too low, who put the clause in, owners don't know what they are doing etc etc) and thought they had to make some form of stand (irrespective of whether in the right or not).

Personally - I just can't understand why United have been so quiet on the whole subject if they have nothing to hide.

I can tell you that one of the biggest problems between JW and the owners was this, when JW offered advice, it was viewed by Venkys as patronising, they didnt like it, hence Mrs D's statement in the press about JW 'To toe the line'.

Do you have a link or quote for this? I don't remember reading it and would be very interested.

This is a cultural difference and how things work in India where the owners are never questioned.

Is it? Hm. Must admit I don't know much about Indian culture, but anyone in business who thinks they know everything and won't take advice is unlikely to be a success.

Do you have a link or quote for this? I don't remember reading it and would be very interested.

It was in the Lancashire Telegraph and has been posted on this messageboard

Is it? Hm. Must admit I don't know much about Indian culture, but anyone in business who thinks they know everything and won't take advice is unlikely to be a success.

Splitscreen will fill you in more on the culture thing, its the same I think in Thailand!!

Splitscreen will fill you in more on the culture thing, its the same I think in Thailand!!

Cheers.

On the issue of the Phil Jones, I think this could get very messy, very fast. On the bright side, Manchester United can't force us to sell to them. The escape clause is in a contract between us and Jones. Therefore United have no legal right to have their offer accepted (so far as I understand). However, we will almost certainly be in breach of our contract to Jones, and therefore we run the risk of invlidating that contract if it goes to court. I don't know what would happen to the players registration in that scenario, but it seems possible to me that we might lose him for nothing.

Of course, I don't know the exact wording of the contract. There may be some legal issues that could be exploited, but even in a best case scenario, this will tie the player up for months, during which time we won't be able to sign a replacement.

However, I must admit, my opinion of Venky's has actually gone up. They seem to have proven, hands down, that they are not trying to sell off assets. Quite the opposite. So their intentions are good, but they have got to start using their heads a bit more. Sell up, take the £16 million and use it to reinvest in the squad.

Archived