BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes – managerial mercenary or just plain old ambitious?

As speculation continues over the future of Mark Hughes I can’t help but think he’s becoming some what of a mercenary in football management terms.

During his time here we had constant speculation regarding his impending departure, which clear goes with the territory and I understand that. Newcastle had an interest by all accounts, he’d have jumped at that chance, then City came a calling and he couldn’t wait to jump ship, and who could blame him.

But as the City dream became a nightmare, Hughes and his staff found themselves of the managerial scrap heap, until Mr Al Fyed came calling and brought them back into the fold.

Now less than 12 months on, the rumour mill is in full swing again and it seems on the face of things Hughes will be leaving Fulham to join Villa.

Is he becoming a managerial mercenary? Or should we be saying ‘he’s ambitious that one’ good luck to him.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wales 1999 - 2004

Rovers 2004 - 2008

City 2008 - 2009

Fulham 2010 -

Seems to me he learned his trade with Wales, developed and gained a great degree of experience at Rovers and then became frustrated as a lack of investment which prevented us making further progress (serious mistake to let him go), then sacked by City as things weren't progressing as quickly as the owners required. As for Villa? all we know is the papers are touting his name around, surely this is either paper talk or the Villa owner looking to unsettle the man he thinks can manage his club?

To call him a mercenary seems harsh.

If he does go, Fulham will be the only club at which he's pulled the mercenary act. 4/5 years is a decent enough time for a manager to spend at a club so I don't think he screwed Rovers or Wales by leaving when he did, and obviously he had no choice at City. I can understand why he'd want the job, vacancies at PL clubs with 35,000+ attendances don't come around very often, however I get the feeling he'd be on a hiding to nothing taking it. O'Neill left Villa because they wouldn't give him the funds to push on from 6th, it'd be pretty much the same with Hughes and I can't see how he'd challenge the current big 6 with the squad they've got plus only 1/2 additions. Having finished 8th (and found a backdoor into Europe) he's got total job security at Fulham, has a rich owner who can give him half-decent funds and overachieving with small clubs is what he excels at. He's still a young manager with plenty of time on his side, in my opinion he should give Fulham a proper go before leaving, particularly as they took him on as slightly damaged goods after City.

Hughes is ambitious, he wants the job at Old Trafford when the old fox retires. The only way you can prove you're ready for that is to manage some ambitious clubs and be successful. He built a solid Wales team, an excellent Rovers team and although City was a slight blip, he is doing well at Fulham. I would say that an ambitious manager like Hughes needs to keep moving up the ladder, and Villa fit that bill.

Hughes won't be going to Old Trafford - Mourinho has been earmarked for that job.

Hughes needs to put down some roots at a club and win a trophy. Fulham are entitled to feel used if he leaves them at this point for a club like Villa.

Now resigned to him leaving. Bitterly disappointed in Hughes and Fulham.

I can understand your frustrations, it’s a similar feeling when the Newcastle speculation came out when he was with us. Whilst Newcastle have a tremendous fan base, as a club I still don’t see them as a bigger fish than us, comparing honours and recent history.

City was a different case altogether.

But looking at Villa, a club renowned for selling its major assets? Striking similarities to the Newcastle stuff with us, not a major forward step for Hughes, and if he does go I’ll lose a little respect for the man, he owes Fulham more than 11 months for me.

Unless he comes back here :P

Ambitious, end of, for me.

I'd have him back in an instant (But it won't happen)

I can't see him going to Villa, they are a busted flush, they are also talking about Moyes today, why would he?

Anyway, he's earnt European football for Football, so fair play to him.

I do happen to think he will end up at one of the big European clubs, I can't see Moanininho at OT either, sorry, but Pep at Barca has burst that balloon!

MH to stay at Fulham for one more season, big club to come in for him by then.

Hughes won't be going to Old Trafford - Mourinho has been earmarked for that job.

Hughes needs to put down some roots at a club and win a trophy. Fulham are entitled to feel used if he leaves them at this point for a club like Villa.

Plus, of cousre, they won't be just losing a manager but the entire Taffia he shipped in. I am convinced that when he left us the problem wasn't just Ince but that the club had been stripped bare. The kit man at Villa should be preparing for life on the dole.

The days under Mark Hughes....

Going from strength to strength, they are rapidly becoming one of the best-run clubs in the Premiership in terms of gates, finance, quality of performances and quality of signings by Mark Hughes. Wide players Pedersen and Bentley are as good as anything in the League and Roque Santa Cruz is a good signing. Can maybe challenge the big boys.

Hughes said: "I think our supporters and everyone around Blackburn wants to know that we expect to be successful and that's what we're trying to do here."

Really really rate Mark Hughes, top manager. Was building city brick by brick instead of the crazy overnight success the owners wanted. Got the Fulham job and after a slow start, turned round their season superbly.

Would be harsh on Fulham if he left, not too sure Villa would be that big of a pull tho.

• Moderation Lead

Bit of both I'd suggest. He obviously wants to win things, in my eyes going to Fulham was putting himself back in the shop window, he probably anticipated doing 2/3 seasons there then expecting a big job to come about then he'd be off!

good good manager at this level, you have your top top managers in Ferguson, Wenger, Dalglish, Hiddink if he returns, Mancini. Hughes is in that 2nd tier group with guys like Moyes and Martin O'Neill.

Make no bones about it, the guy is a winner therefore ambitous, however he does need to improve on giving youth a chance.

Souness: Gallagher, Mceverly, Douglas. Arguably David Dunn as well.

Hughes: ........................

Ince: Treacy

Allardyce: Jones, Olsson, Hanley, Morris, Holiett, Doran.

Kean: Lowe, Holiett and Hanley aswell.

You could maybe say Matty Derbyshire for Hughes? Valid point though, I don't think the young players coming through got that much of a chance under Hughes.

I'd certainly take Hughes back though if there was a chance!

You could maybe say Matty Derbyshire for Hughes? Valid point though, I don't think the young players coming through got that much of a chance under Hughes.

I'd certainly take Hughes back though if there was a chance!

yea sorry derbyshire, i remember eddie nolan came on as a sub vs Nancy in the ufea cup but he was never seen since. sergio peter aswell kind of. but i mean Joe Garner was a great prospect and left beacause of the amount of strikers we had.

and yes so would i.

Fantastic manager with a good eye for players at bargin prices, who can also handle the egos within a squad.

All in all as rare as a loyal player.

Would have him back quicker than a pizzas life expectancy at a weight watchers convention.

Archived