BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Hughes – managerial mercenary or just plain old ambitious?

• Backroom

good good manager at this level, you have your top top managers in Ferguson, Wenger, Dalglish, Hiddink if he returns, Mancini. Hughes is in that 2nd tier group with guys like Moyes and Martin O'Neill.

Make no bones about it, the guy is a winner therefore ambitous, however he does need to improve on giving youth a chance.

Souness: Gallagher, Mceverly, Douglas. Arguably David Dunn as well.

Hughes: ........................

Ince: Treacy

Allardyce: Jones, Olsson, Hanley, Morris, Holiett, Doran.

Kean: Lowe, Holiett and Hanley aswell.

To give Ince some tiny credit it was him who brought Olsson into the side at times.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now resigned to him leaving. Bitterly disappointed in Hughes and Fulham.

I thought it was Fulham that allowed his contract to run down - before talking about a new one started. If that is the case, would not the club be the sole party responcible for the situation now?

I thought it was Fulham that allowed his contract to run down - before talking about a new one started. If that is the case, would not the club be the sole party responcible for the situation now?

Back in August, Fulham were without a manager and getting desperate. Hughes wanted a clause, reports vary to what the clause consisted of but the general consensus seems to be the clause was that Hughes had a window where he could talk to other clubs. Fulham accepted these demands because we were desperate to get a manager. Once that window expired, hughes would auotmatically go onto a second year with Fulham.

Technically he signed a two year deal but with a window where he could leave for free.

Mark Hughes: "I hope the supporters will understand that as a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences."

Looks like it's all about ambition for him :lol:

Well, he mentioned that although favourite for the villa job he has not spoke to them, not that I believe him. Could he be going to Chelsea or even better, wish full thinking though coming back to ewood

To be fair to Hughes he has activated a clause in his contract, he has not asked to leave or demanded more money etc, the club agreed to it. For example we agreed to a 6.5 million clause for Bellamy when he signed, I don't hold a grudge against him.

He's ruthlessly ambitious.

Correct. Just as he was as a player. Don't forget he left MU to go to Barca and Bayern Munich in his playing career.

But why shouldn't he be ambitious? The owners of Man City hardly showed him that loyalty is important in football and neither would Alf if he had taken Fulham down. I've said many times that loyalty in football begins and ends at the wall around the pitch. We've seen the terrible treatment meted out to Sam Allardyce just 6 months ago for basically doing a good job, so too with Houghton at Newcastle and Ancellotti at Chelsea so maybe when owners are loyal the managers and players will be too.

Only problem that I have is that if Chelsea don't take a punt with him he'll end up at Villa and then we'll have the unedifying sight of two out of the three best managers that we have had in the last 30 years managing teams in claret and blue! :o

On Five Live that Villa have been in touch with Fulham to say they are not interested in Hughes...

That Paddy Power's just been on Talksport to say he's a cert for Villa and that they are taking no more bets.

Not sure this mercinary tag is fair,

when he took over at blackburn he carried on managing wales at the same time far a while which was quite loyal, he only left blackburn because he was fed up of having absolutly no money to spend and the chance to manage city would have been an offer(and still is) a job very few managers in theworld would turn down, he was SACKED from city(which he was very dissapointed about), he did well for fulham in the year he was there but Fulham are never going to be mre than a mid table team(they have little money these days and a very small fanbase) so can easily understand his decision to leave if theres bigger jobs available(Villa, even possibly chelsea(he did play for them, so why not!) or i venkys see the light and act fast blackburn.

• Backroom

I think he is a mercenary and always has been but 99% of the football world are indeed it isn't just limited to football.

If anyone wants to offer me more than BT pay me with preferable working conditions and location I'd be gone.

I didn't like how he tried to find a way out of Rovers at times but such is life, I think he's made a mistake here though, he was doing well at Fulham and can see him messing up a so called bigger job.

We have felt that hollow pain many times before at Ewood ffan.

I'm thinking we should just give up. Anytime our managers do half decent job they'll be off. No point even trying to be successfull anymore.

Might as well just appoint Maradonna for the craic.

• Backroom

I'm thinking we should just give up. Anytime our managers do half decent job they'll be off. No point even trying to be successfull anymore.

Might as well just appoint Maradonna for the craic.

I hope you get the appointment right I like your club, reckon Benitez will be the man for the job?

Unless you want Kean that is :P

Finch - Happy? I'd be bloody ecstatic!

Not a doubt for me, he's been approached by Villa.

Now he's quit Villa don't have to pay Fulham compensation :rolleyes:

If I was a Fulham fan I'd be furious right now.

I have no respect for this man or anyone supporting his "ambitions". Ambition without loyalty is meaningless. Prostitutes have the exact same "ambitions".

Not a doubt for me, he's been approached by Villa.

Now he's quit Villa don't have to pay Fulham compensation :rolleyes:

If I was a Fulham fan I'd be furious right now.

Agree with both - clearly thinks he's got a great chance of Villa job and therefore dumped Fulham at the first chance, with them missing out on any compo for it! Id be annoyed if I was Fulham fan....hope Villa ignore him and appoint Ancelotti

I personally feel that he thinks he 'deserves a bigger club' and he no doubt wants to be United boss, but it will NEVER happen.

He was driven and a winner as a player, same as a manager, get over it.

Whereever he has been, he has done a pretty decent job as manager (including with us) and is still young, so plenty of time to improve further.

Problem is you dish out these 12 month rolling contracts and take a chance on losing them for free. Fulham are as much to blame not tying him down but it's a catch 22. If he had of done badly fulham could have sacked him without dishing out compensation. As it happens he has done well for them and is now in demand, so they have lost him without compensation. He would have left for free had he not quit anyways in about a month.

Archived