BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Chris Samba => Arsenal/Spurs

leerovers1980

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defoe is a proven premiership goalscorer, Goodwillie is a kid leanring the ropes isn't he :wacko:

I agree with this. Plus Goodwillie can learn alot from Defoe and then turn out to be a very good player.

We need a Proven Premiership Goalscorer if we are going to make the top 10 this season.

Which one's going to play centre half Chris?

Samba is not Colin Hendry, it would be easier to replace him in the market then find someone with the ability of Defoe.

I really think Redknapp demoralises all his strikers.

He would be a big fish here.

A year ago I would have said 16 million for Defoe and he's 28 good age.

Even with Samba we need a good centre back to replace Jones and cover Nelsen, so we probably need to sign two, thats would be a big task.

If it was Kenny or Hughes I would be confident, I could see with Kean mentality we would concede, I would be worried defensively.

But if there is no stopping Samba we have little choice.

Defoe is a proven premiership goalscorer, Willie is a kid leanring the ropes isn't he :wacko:

Agreed,

Bentley and Defoe + £10m or Harry can sod off. We need well compensating if Samba goes, or he doesn't go at all. Intact I doubt he's replaceable right now - not just in terms of ability but because we've already lost Jones and his overall influence on the team. Losing him would be highly disruptive in more ways than one.

Look at Defoe's 09-10 season, he scored 18 goals when Spurs were playing two up front, Defoe and Pav/Crouch. Look at last season when he only scored 4 goals because Spurs shifted towards playing a 4-4-1-1 with van der Vaart behind the lone striker.

I can't see Rovers playing with two up front next season, you need a solid defence and more importantly a well balanced midfield for it to work, Rovers don't have that. I can see Rovers playing a similar system to Spurs with Formica, Rochina or Hoilett behind the lone striker.

If the club want to take a player plus cash or a straight swap for Samba then in my opinion Defoe is not the answer.

While Kean is manager we will play a decent amount of games 4-4-2. Almost all of his targets are attacking midfielders or strikers.

We are told Kean is keen on Keane.

I am not...

Agree that would be silly. But then we took Roque so anythings possible.

Look at Defoe's 09-10 season, he scored 18 goals when Spurs were playing two up front, Defoe and Pav/Crouch. Look at last season where he only scored 4 goals when Spurs shifted towards playing a 4-4-1-1 with van der Vaart behind the lone striker.

I can't see Rovers playing with two up front next season, you need a solid defence and more importantly a well balanced midfield for it to work, Rovers don't have that. I can see Rovers playing a similar system to Spurs with Formica, Rochina or Hoilett behind the lone striker.

If the club want to take a player plus cash or a straight swap for Samba then in my opinion Defoe is not the answer.

Think Defoe's lack of goals last season was more down to missing the start of the season due to being badly injured playing for England and then being put in when not fully fit then being dropped and reinstated throughout the rest of the season as Spuds tried to find a striker that could actually score as none of them set the league alight, in fact if they had a 20 goal man last season they would have probably been in CL again

Samba is not Colin Hendry, it would be easier to replace him in the market

Easier maybe, but not easy. Not many clubs would be willing to let their best centre half go just a day or two before the season kicks off.

As an aside, I made a number of posts when Bentley was kicking up for a move, saying that the club should be doing their best to keep their better players. The overriding viewpoint then was that we shouldn't keep a player who wants to leave.

So, should I assume that if Spurs want Samba and Samba wants to go, that we should sell him?

Look at Defoe's 09-10 season, he scored 18 goals when Spurs were playing two up front, Defoe and Pav/Crouch. Look at last season where he only scored 4 goals when Spurs shifted towards playing a 4-4-1-1 with van der Vaart behind the lone striker.

Redknapp played Crouch for most of the season up front with RVV. Redknapp build his team around RVV, Modric and Bale.

Hopefully we would build our team around Defoe, Hoilett, Formica and Rochina.

Back to Samba and...

reluctantnicko Alan Nixon

Samba thing not really moved on. Valuation not enough. Swaps possible. Spurs may struggle to pay his wages. #bigsnag

I suppose that last bit depends on whether insiderovers' tweet about Spurs having their bank credit reduced is true or not (the answer is that they have but it is complicated) and if Arsenal have been talking bigger wages to Samba's people than Spurs' wage structure can accommodate (answer- that would make sense from an Arsenal standpoint as their wage bill is 50% bigger than Spurs').

If Samba went to Spurs in a straight swap for 2 Spurs players and no cash, how would the sell on clause to Hertha work out?

It would work out very well for Venkys as they would have to stump up 15% of a much lesser figure, or nothing at all for swaps and no dollar.. Thats how I read it.

Hertha will be miffed if thats the case.

How do they then gauge the figure the Philip? If no cash changes hands does the value of the tranaction not become subjective? Spurs may think they got a good deal by swapping players instead of handing over £10M, whereas Rovers may think they traded Samba for what they see as £14M worth of players. How is this then converted to the fee to Hertha?

Back to Samba and...

reluctantnicko Alan Nixon

Samba thing not really moved on. Valuation not enough. Swaps possible. Spurs may struggle to pay his wages. #bigsnag

I suppose that last bit depends on whether insiderovers' tweet about Spurs having their bank credit reduced is true or not (the answer is that they have but it is complicated) and if Arsenal have been talking bigger wages to Samba's people than Spurs' wage structure can accommodate (answer- that would make sense from an Arsenal standpoint as their wage bill is 50% bigger than Spurs').

What sort of wage level is he going to be on at either club, come to that what is he on here?

I doubt Spuds would struggle to pay his wages as there is no way Arsenal would pay him £70k a week.

Remember Spuds took an additional £40m from CL last year so I doubt very much that they have had any credit lines reduced :lol:

What sort of wage level is he going to be on at either club, come to that what is he on here?

I doubt Spuds would struggle to pay his wages as there is no way Arsenal would pay him £70k a week.

Remember Spuds took an additional £40m from CL last year so I doubt very much that they have had any credit lines reduced :lol:

Levy has a strict wage structure at Spurs. Most they can offer players is 50k a week. If they're not going to offer Modric more dough then i doubt Samba will be any different.

I didn't think there was such a thing as a swap in technical reality, where I assumed the players were both sold to each other for the same amount, but they would be legitimate cash sales on paper that just happen to cancel each other or a large part of the fee out.

So for example, if the papers reported that we swapped Samba for Bassong and £8m, in reality Spurs agreed to give us £14m for Samba and we agreed to give them £6m for Bassong and that's what the paperwork would say.

Levy has a strict wage structure at Spurs. Most they can offer players is 50k a week. If they're not going to offer Modric more dough then i doubt Samba will be any different.

Not true

King, Keane, Bale, VDV already on more than that and Modric (if he stays) will be on more than that too

They don't pay the £100k+ like some clubs but they will pay £60/70/80k

I didn't think there was such a thing as a swap in technical reality, where I assumed the players were both sold to each other for the same amount, but they would be legitimate cash sales on paper that just happen to cancel each other or a large part of the fee out.

So for example, if the papers reported that we swapped Samba for Bassong and £8m, in reality Spurs agreed to give us £14m for Samba and we agreed to give them £6m for Bassong and that's what the paperwork would say.

Exactly.

Then the fees are calculated for:

Agents' fees

Player's transfer fee

and critically, the VAT on the agent's fee and woebetide anyone scheming a short payment on that.

Then you get into the niceties of accounting treatments and so on.

There is still a far stricter wage structure at Spurs than at Arsenal and it is a matter of fact that Arsenal's wage bill is Spurs' + 50%. At a guess, the non-conversations between nobody from Arsenal and nobody who talks to Chris Samba will not have said £90k a week knowing Spuds will not go near that number for a central defender.

We are told Kean is keen on Keane.

I am not...

Must say I'm not either, I was once, but not now.

Allardyce reportedly wanted to pay 4m for him last season also :wacko:

They both see something we don't clearly.

I think Nicko mentioned that Tottenham are a nightmare to deal with. I can see them dragging this out to the last knockings of the transfer window using their buddies in the media to keep the pressure on us and get Samba at a knockdown fee. If a straight deal with them is hard work I'd imagine that a swap deal would be almost impossible to pull off without being left feeling that you've been diddled.

So much to dislike about Tottenham, a detestable club.

I think Nicko mentioned that Tottenham are a nightmare to deal with. I can see them dragging this out to the last knockings of the transfer window using their buddies in the media to keep the pressure on us and get Samba at a knockdown fee. If a straight deal with them is hard work I'd imagine that a swap deal would be almost impossible to

pull off without being left feeling that you've been diddled.

So much to dislike about Tottenham, a detestable club.

Agreed. The way Harry blinking Redknapp conducts his transfer targets through the media is shocking. Yet the media always consider him 'a wily old cockney lad'. No he's not, he's a twitching pest

Lets take some reassurance from the fact we screwed United to the wall over the Jones deal.

I don't think that's quite true now, is it?

Yep, Spurs are a nightmare to deal with. It's worse when they want one of your players as it will no doubt end up unsettling them.

Archived