BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Chris Samba => Arsenal/Spurs

leerovers1980

I have to say I am surprised by the comments I just hope the owners do the right thing like with PJ & let him go he goes for a bigger fee as 9-12 is an insult as Hughesy stated 15M should be the bare minimum maybe even 20M but I hope Venkys can get their hands in their pockets & try to make him an attractive package so that he stays makes a change from just giving in without a fight like the prevfious regime!.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I alone (probably) in thinking that Samba is meerly a good defender (who switches off too many times) but nothing near the messianic status some are giving him?

Some excellent performances towards the end of the season in pressure games, as highlighted by MOTD, made him desirable to the big boys. I share your doubts as to his consistency. Major game turning errors like te one against Sunderland last season will be scrutinised far more closely. Another trophyless season for Arsenal and he would be seen as an expensive flop.

I always think Samba's true golden era was the middle of Hughes' last full season when we looked like we might manage to push for a top 4 spot. He was absolutely awesome for that spell. He never 'totally lost' a Peter Crouch back than

For me, Samba (and the admiral for that matter) is at his best in 'backs against the walls' situations - blocks/last ditch tackles etc. I feel that he (and Nelsen) struggle a bit when the game is evenly balanced or we are on the ascendency, due to a lack of concentration, and also perhaps their lack of pace being exposed when playing a higher line.

That is where Jones is(or was, from a rovers perspective) slightly different - he seems equally comfortable in both situations hence the interest from teams who require a different type of defending than what we have required for large periods. For this reason I think Samba may be found out if he moves to the likes of arsenal or tottenham

I fear Samba is as good as gone.

Just have to hope that we either get a manager the players believe in or an auction develops.

It's interesting how EVERY negative thing to happen or potentially happen at the club is down solely to the management. And any positive is down to the players or sheer luck.

Surely you don't believe things are that black and white?

Am I alone (probably) in thinking that Samba is meerly a good defender (who switches off too many times) but nothing near the messianic status some are giving him?

Nope. That's why I dont care if he leaves, especially for a big value. There are better, more consistent CBs around.

• Moderation Lead

I do wish he'd stop going public tbh. I rate Samba, and would be sad to lose him, but for the fees being mentioned he's very replacable!

His performances towards the back end of last season were Hendryesq, putting his body on the line for the cause, in stark contrast to the start of the season when him and the rest of the defence was shambolic.

He’s a good defender, but 12-15m :lol: sell sell sell, he’s replaceable for half that amount of money.

Who wouldn't want to play Champions League football.? There are different ways to go about getting a move but if he wants to go I have no problem with that. Thing is he just signed a long-term deal and he should have to deal with the consequences of that action. If Arsenal don't match our valuation, he doesn't go.

Fair enough if Samba wants to move on to pastures new if an acceptable offer comes in.

He was immense at the end of last season and has been a very good player for us over the years. I know the view could be, “we can easily replace him” however replacing your best players is not always that easy (regardless of money even though it obviously helps).

Losing him and Phil Jones in the same window would be a big setback for us.

Fair enough if Samba wants to move on to pastures new if an acceptable offer comes in.

He was immense at the end of last season and has been a very good player for us over the years. I know the view could be, “we can easily replace him” however replacing your best players is not always that easy (regardless of money even though it obviously helps).

Losing him and Phil Jones in the same window would be a big setback for us.

What is actually annoying me is that we're not supposed to stand in his way if a big enough offer comes in, but what about what his moaning is doing to the deal? He's moaning in the hope that he can get away for as little as possible and I personally hope that we don't let him go until we've definitely lined up an adequate or better replacement and that we hold out for what WE, not Arsenal, not Samba and certainly not his agent, feel is the best possible deal for us, the club that got him his chance.

I think he is moaning because he knows we won't let him go on the cheap.

I bet he wishes he never took over the management from Kean at the back end of last season. He could have got his move if we were in the championship.

Silly boy

What is actually annoying me is that we're not supposed to stand in his way if a big enough offer comes in, but what about what his moaning is doing to the deal? He's moaning in the hope that he can get away for as little as possible and I personally hope that we don't let him go until we've definitely lined up an adequate or better replacement and that we hold out for what WE, not Arsenal, not Samba and certainly not his agent, feel is the best possible deal for us, the club that got him his chance.

I couldn't agree more.

We need a replacement lined up before he goes, and we need a decent fee for him. Arsenal are renowned for not paying the going rate, well if they don’t he’ll not be going there, simple as that and I think Venkys are the type of people that will ensure we get a good deal, like they did with Jones.

No player is bigger than the club, and if there is no clause which seems like he doesnt, considering his 'plea' then its a case of meet our valuation and let us get our targets 1st or he stays. Its that simple.

Be interesting to see what we value him at though

I think he is moaning because he knows we won't let him go on the cheap.

Could be right here. His comments sound desperate and smack of him being worried he might be passed over on his 'dream' move. Also suggest no (or a high) release clause.

If he does leave I can see him being at a Stoke or Newcastle within 18 months.

yet Wenger and his goons, are standing In Fabregas way. they want their asking price, so we want ours. Samba is contracted to us, so no cheap fee should get him. if he goes on the cheap, then we are ###### stupid

I hope we can find a club willing to pay the money we want for him as he is starting to become a disruptive influence. I just get the impression with him that if he doesn't get this move this time he will sulk about it therefore driving his price down. Remember last season in the middle of a relegation battle he wanted to leave?

He has been a great player for us but I feel it's now time both Rovers and Samba have to try and find a way to move on.

IMO Wenger wants whoever he can get cheapest.

Well, he probably WANTS Samba most, but won't spend the money. Unless another club comes in, I reckon Samba could still be at Ewood next season, because I think Rovers might play hard ball on this one and Arsenal are tight @#/?s.

I just don't think he places as much importance on defenders as on attacking players.

IMO Wenger wants whoever he can get cheapest.

Well, he probably WANTS Samba most, but won't spend the money. Unless another club comes in, I reckon Samba could still be at Ewood next season, because I think Rovers might play hard ball on this one and Arsenal are tight @#/?s.

I just don't think he places as much importance on defenders as on attacking players.

If that's the case then I would look at doing a deal with a club to take a player or two or a player plus cash for Samba. Spurs would probably be an example of a club that could offer such a deal with players like Bentley, Kranjcar, Bassong or Palacios that could strengthen our side in any deal.

You make a good point - and I'd love to see us go for Bentley, Krancjar and Palacios. Unfortunately, I can also see Samba digging his heals in and only moving to a Champions League club.

I should probably rephrase my previous post "unless another Champions League club comes in".

If that's the case then I would look at doing a deal with a club to take a player or two or a player plus cash for Samba. Spurs would probably be an example of a club that could offer such a deal with players like Bentley, Kranjcar, Bassong or Palacios that could strengthen our side in any deal.

Do clubs ever do these kind of deals in real life? How do you agree the valuation? How do players feel knowing they're only worth a third or a quarter of Samba? Don't see it as even a possibility myself.

Archived