BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adelino Andre Vieira (Vieirinha)

keaney23

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one massive concern here, we are it appears, to be targeting skilful and pacey footballers, thats good in itself however, I dont want us to overdo things and let the bloody diamond formation which almost got us relegated be the pattern of play because unless these new signings can press the ball extremely well, retain their shape and get back into defensive positions quickly when needed, we will be in a mess.

One of the biggest things in tactical coaching is for a team to move together as a unit, denying the opposition space in which to play, last season using the diamond formation, we were far too exposed at the back, indeed, I saw Emerton (right mid) trying to get back to support Salgado from the left midfield position, something is clearly wrong with how the team is set up if that happens, so for me a conventional 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 is the way to play.

You dont need to be able to tackle, close the lad down quickly, jockey the player and make him play the ball where he really doesnt want to go, pressurise them into making mistakes, indeed, I would prefer if some of the players who cant tackle bloody wouldnt.

Balderdash! 'Ya don't know what your doing' :D

+1 from me Den :blush:

Phillip makes sense with his points IMO. MGP is a weak point in our team and the new boy could be set to replace him.

I would guess that at 5'5 and being quite small physically he is not the best tackler in the world.

Philip's point about him maybe competing with MGP, is a point I hadn't thought about imy.

I still can't understand this signing - unless we have far more money to spend than I realised. As for a wingers defensive duties, they're absolutely critical.

This player seems to fit into the classic Carlos Kickaball mould - good skills but too small and lightweight to play in the Premier League. Villaneuve showed that these sort of players are not suited to English football. I'd be pleased if we passed on this one and concentrated on what we really need - good, solid Anglo Saxon 6ft 2in cehtre half.

This player seems to fit into the classic Carlos Kickaball mould - good skills but too small and lightweight to play in the Premier League. Villaneuve showed that these sort of players are not suited to English football. I'd be pleased if we passed on this one and concentrated on what we really need - good, solid Anglo Saxon 6ft 2in cehtre half.

I think Roger Johnson at 7m Pounds was a good deal. I was against it hitting 10-15m for him but Wolves got him at a good price. Im not surprised we are looking at the French League for cheaper options. Could get a decent gem there.

another really interesting football post.

Impressed with your tactical nous DGS.

You must have missed my post on David Goodwillie about a week or so ago. Not sure if he had been mentioned on here prior to our official bid if so but I hadn't seen it. I suggested Goodwillie might be a handy investment for us. I also tipped Motherwell's Jamie Murphy as the next one to make the trip south. All guesswork really, based on a bit of knowledge of Scottish football.

I havn't and wont set myself up as a tactical genius Den, there's enough folk on here pretending to be something they aren't ;)

Villanueva didn't have anywhere near the energy of this guy, this guy looks really fast and got an engine. Villanueva reminded me more of Grabbi play in the hole player, is better in slow pace not physical games.

Kean and Venkys can sack any thoughts of signing Andy Johnson FFS !

An ageing, useless, injury prone AJ, think Stephen Kean needs a good talking too .

must do better than this Rovers !

Can't for the life of me understand why we're going for this lad - unless we're selling Hoilett.

You begin to wonder.

I think Roger Johnson at 7m Pounds was a good deal. I was against it hitting 10-15m for him but Wolves got him at a good price. Im not surprised we are looking at the French League for cheaper options. Could get a decent gem there.

There are Brum fans who reckon Johnson lost his way a bit when Dann got injured. I'd reckon he's an ok signing but over priced. I'd certainly like us to try and get Dann if we lose Samba but Blues would no doubt demand daft money for him.

Philip's point about him maybe competing with MGP, is a point I hadn't thought about imy.

I still can't understand this signing - unless we have far more money to spend than I realised. As for a wingers defensive duties, they're absolutely critical.

If Junior is injured then we have no real creative spark from the wings in our squad. I think this would be a vital signing, can play either wing too.

I will however only be happy with this signing IF other areas such as centre half and a couple of strikers are filled.

I hope we sign this kid we need strength in-depth and as for the striker we will just have to wait and see. Raul or poldoski would be my first picks but whoever comes in weve got to give em a chance remember shearer replacing speedie not a lot of people was happy but the rest his history, and shearer was hardly prolific at Southampton

rover&out heaven forbid Hoilett & Olssen get injured at the same time who else can play in that position competantly & do a good job?. Before you say MGP,Emo a trained chipanzee could do a better job then both of them put together. I would say it is a position that needs addressing so if we can sort out some strength in depth we are covering ourselves if our best players get injured,we are finished. As they say you can't put square pegs in round holes & that's what putting Emo & MGP would be.

Archived