BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Goodwille

I hear he is good at knocking out 18st ex-rugby pros who now work as doormen, with only 3 punch combo.

Yes ruthless aggression and hitting the back of the net by any means necessary. Those seem to be his two key attributes.

Perhaps a bit like a young Duncan Ferguson :rock:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just paid a quick visit to Radio Lancs website and read the story about the player.

Everybody will be delighted to read there is a sell-on clause that could net Dundee United much more than £2.8 mil.

If we sell him for 28m I'll gladly see them with 2.8m :rolleyes:

Any how hers the link to the story, guess it's the same as the main BBC site, sorry if that's the case.

Radio Lancs.

How they have all the details is some what surprising when he still hasn't signed.

Radio Lancs.

How they have all the details is some what surprising when he still hasn't signed.

That's not Radio Lancs it's the main BBC website.

Funnily enough that page is linked from Blackpools BBC page, not Rovers :rolleyes:

Don't you hate it when the media mix Rovers up with Blackpool. I remember it happening with Burnley once too :angry:

Yes ruthless aggression and hitting the back of the net by any means necessary. Those seem to be his two key attributes.

Perhaps a bit like a young Duncan Ferguson :rock:

I would be more than happy with this signing.

I reckon he would be a massive hit in the Championship but every new striker in the Prem is a gamble.3m is a cheap gamble in todays footy world.

Also being British, speaking the lingo and knowing the style is a massive advantage and probably worth the risk.

Daily Mail

Rovers Return pays off! £2.8m Goodwillie Blackburn-bound as United cash in

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2020298/David-Goodwillie-set-join-Blackburn-2-8m.html?ITO=1490

I reckon he would be a massive hit in the Championship but every new striker in the Prem is a gamble.3m is a cheap gamble in todays footy world.

Also being British, speaking the lingo and knowing the style is a massive advantage and probably worth the risk.

I would hope we do have a bigger striker signing as well though.

You've obviously never been to Dundee then! Dundonion is about as far removed from English as you can get! :P

I would hope we do have a bigger striker signing as well though.

I think/hope that Goodwillie would replace Kalinic as the young striker, rather than being our main purchase.

Swapping Kalinic for Petrovic and Goodwillie could be excellent business.

That's not Radio Lancs it's the main BBC website.

Funnily enough that page is linked from Blackpools BBC page, not Rovers :rolleyes:

Don't you hate it when the media mix Rovers up with Blackpool. I remember it happening with Burnley once too :angry:

Yep! shall we settle on, he's coming to Lancashire then. :P

Think the signings of Petrovic, Goodwillie and perhaps Raul would more than satisfy most who have been whinging at lack of activity all summer, including myself. Providing we don't loose Samba or Hoilett we'd have a very capable squad.

In favour of this fella, sounds like he adds the physical edge we need up front. Main issue we have if (when?) he signs as then we would have an XI with only four likely starters with much experience - Robinson, Samba, Nelsen and Salgado. No convincing forward players at all who look like steady prem players.

A Raul or anyone to add a bit of guidance up front would be a massive bonus.

edit - incidentally my gut feel after this came out is that we aren't going to be signing any big names - I think we are going to run with the young guns. Going for both Petrovic and Goodwillie whie having little confirmed interest for anyone else suggests that imo. We might sneak a bit of experience in on loan/free transfer at the end of the window a la J Jones/Santa Cruz.

Going to make it an interesting ride. Lots of talent, very rough round the edges. The upside of it is when have we had so many technically gifted players at the club - Formica, Hoilett, Rochina, Petrovic, Olsson? Other side of the coin is when have we lacked so much tested premiership experience.....?

He's got a bit of Matt Jansen about him.

He looks like he likes the ball at his feet and may tie himself up in knots now and then.

But he looks confident.

I get the feeling it won't take him long to win over the Blackburn End.

How ironic McCoist just did what a lot of fans of Blackburn Rovers are accusing Kean and Venkys of doing!

Dillying around a deal, refusing to meet the asking price, and then seeing the guy get snatched away by someone who accepted the asking price - none other than us.

I bet Rangers fans must be furious with him or something. Heh. :D

Why are both of you so hard on Venkys for trying to sign Goodwillie?

About 4 of our strikers have already left or are leaving. Mame Diouf, Roque Santa Cruz, Benjani and now Niko Kalinic.

It makes more sense to get as many strikers as possible because it's unrealistic to just bid for 4 "marquee" strikers. We have heard Rovers asking around for the likes of Raul, Podolski, etc. Should that not be enough for your top-rate profilic strikers? Goodwillie seems decent, especially if he's brought in as one of four strikers (I'm not saying we'll actually buy four strikers, but I'm sure we will make an effort to replace all of them) we might be signing this season.

Think of him more of bolstering our squad with numbers in case of injuries instead of thinking Venkys are just going to buy solely him and rely on him for all the goals next season. It's not as if we can sign four players of Raul's caliber, so decent, cheap players should be welcomed as well. No need to be so vicious about our interest in them.

Your perspective from the other side of the world is far too rational for here cocker!!

We have to look East, to the orient, for sense because there's not much of it from some of the folk in East Lancashire...

How ironic McCoist just did what a lot of fans of Blackburn Rovers are accusing Kean and Venkys of doing!

Dillying around a deal, refusing to meet the asking price, and then seeing the guy get snatched away by someone who accepted the asking price - none other than us.

I bet Rangers fans must be furious with him or something. Heh. :D

Rangers are in serious financial difficulties!!

Think the signings of Petrovic, Goodwillie and perhaps Raul would more than satisfy most who have been whinging at lack of activity all summer, including myself. Providing we don't loose Samba or Hoilett we'd have a very capable squad.

We'd still be horribly thin on numbers and proven quality in the PL.

Another sell-on clause? Haven't we learn our lesson after Bentley? After all, Dundee is desperate for cash.

Dundee United.

Nobody knows who is negotiating for us but it is either an agent and thereby going perilously close to breaking the rules or somebody with no football experience.

The whole of this transfer is happening in an odd way.

Sky Sports reporting that Dundee United have rejected an improved offer from Rangers for the lad.

Is it me, or is this sounding like a dutch auction?

Only if the other offers are accepted. Remember a club can bid till the cows come home but the players club. A) Have to accept the bid and B) give him permission to speak to them. So I wouldn't read anything in to it if I were you

Edit. Why has a smiley appeared in my post? I didn't put it there and can't see it when I try to edit?

Sky Sports reporting that Dundee United have rejected an improved offer from Rangers for the lad.

Is it me, or is this sounding like a dutch auction?

I sincerely hope so- the price will be going down if it is.

It's not 'odd', it's just being handled by other people because the manager is at the other side of the planet. There isn't a Jerome Anderson conspiracy here.

Hope he doesn't get turned off by an empty training ground though. :unsure:

I expect we'll get him signed up today and flown off to Hong Kong tomorrow if there is time.

Do you want to have a sit down in a dark room and think this through again?

Venky's have stripped out the Chairman and Managing Director without replacing them so it is downright odd in anybody's language.

The last game in Hong Kong kicks off in 120 minutes time.

Archived