BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview: Aston Villa v. Rovers 20th August 2011

Kean is just flapping around now in his selections and tactics.

If Nelsen cannot last long (this is one huge gamble), presumably Petrovic gets pressed into service and Nzonzi drops back to centre half.

Not playing Formica looks odd but as Kalinic found out, forwards get dropped by Kean if they score a goal in the previous game.

Where is the surprise selection you mentioned?

Mercerman? Predicted what Nelsen starting? (we heard that may be the case), Givet and Samba not playing (Samba has been injured and Givet rumours that he is homesick). Dunn and Nzonzi in midfield? They both played the last game? Goodwillie starting (had a decent sub app)

No one knows anything about Formica, the logical assumption would be that he is injured...

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Not playing Formica looks odd but as Kalinic found out, forwards get dropped by Kean if they score a goal in the previous game.

Or he's easing him in.

Funny that people defend a certain ex manager for doing the same with Hoilett yet criticise the current one for the same thing.

Or he's easing him in.

Funny that people defend a certain ex manager for doing the same with Hoilett yet criticise the current one for the same thing.

If the current manager got more than a point a game he might get cut more slack in his selection decisions.

Kean is just flapping around now in his selections and tactics.

If Nelsen cannot last long (this is one huge gamble), presumably Petrovic gets pressed into service and Nzonzi drops back to centre half.

I believe that Petrovic has a reasonable amount of experience as a central defender. I have seen him play there on at least one occasion.

Calm on Formica everyone, presume it is because Kean does not think he is ready to start away from home yet.

if he can play at home he can play away from home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what are we paying his wages for if he can only play at home??????

Apart from a slight lack of defensive options that is actually one of the stronger looking benches that we have had in a long time.

What planet you on mate.. that bench looks daft.. Slight lack of defensive options.. wth there is only one defensive player (who isn't a center back), one very young defensive midfielder who has only been in the country a short while, 3 attacking midfielders and Blackman as the impact striker..

I'm also wondering what mercerman is referring to as the shocks in the lineup??

We knew there was a question mark over samba, we knew givet was out. Only chane I see is Formica for Goodie, not a massive shock really.

I just fail to see where the big issue mercerman mentioned is!!

And where the hell are Petrovic and Formica?

Precisely. Petrovic is an unknown quantity but would surely provide some steel. Formica, and for me Rochina have both offered more than Pedersen last week - shocking that he's still in the side.

As I said last week, any team that Championship-level strikers like Roberts, lazy shirkers like Pedersen and sicknotes like Dunny are deemed first choice is very, very poor - relegation fodder.

Hope the lads prove me wrong but I can only see a heavy defeat today.

At least are bench looks stronger than last week, obviously would have prefered to see formica in place of dunn or pedersen, i predict selgado going to be are biggest liability again today if hes up against nzogbia or agbonlahor, goodwillie will could suprise the villa players who wont know much about him, i predict goals goals goals(1 way or another).

Putting Formica on after Goodwillie and Roberts have tired the defence might work.

Dalglish did the very same thing today bringing on Suarez/Morales at 0-0... guess we'll know how things pan out for us in 2 hours time :unsure:

Where is the surprise selection you mentioned?

Mercerman? Predicted what Nelsen starting? (we heard that may be the case), Givet and Samba not playing (Samba has been injured and Givet rumours that he is homesick). Dunn and Nzonzi in midfield? They both played the last game? Goodwillie starting (had a decent sub app)

No one knows anything about Formica, the logical assumption would be that he is injured...

Not going to get into any debates but doubt anyone expected that team. Playing Nelsen, IMO, is a huge, huge risk both for this match and longer term. You would have thought that given "the spirit within the group", Samba would have at least travelled (speculation is that he hasn't). Most also be some bug that Givet has. Formica impresses on debut with his goal and workrate yet he's dropped for Goodwillie who looks to have some way to go in fitness terms. Roberts - Venky's and Kean's mouthpiece - looks untouchable. Enough said.

Looks like we are going to need to sign more than one defender.

When you have the sitaution we have with senior pros such as Samba, Givet and yes, Diouf - there has to be something amiss with the management and our club.

Surely, surely, the alarm bells are ringing loudly and clearly.

Even Cryoer on Twitter says the Samba stuff is 'strange'.

Archived