BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fan on the Board ?

Craigman

It's like the Pune trip, publicity stunt and anyone on the board will end up , whether they like it or not , the venkys fan bitch. If they don't tow the feathered line they will replaced by someone who will . Not having a go at anyone here just saying what I think will happen. Who ever it is , it won't matter how much good intentions you have , the venkys don't do non venkyism.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh. I guessed right (or at least I guessed the same as whoever tipped Nicko off).

If true, it's a brave move and fraught with potential problems (just ask Man City, who did it in the late 90s), but if the club can pull it off, then more power to them. Anything that brings the club/owners and fans closer together is a good move in my eyes.

Whilst the lefty in me would like to see some kind of election (I'd love to see it on the FF too, but until recently there haven't been enough interesting people to justify it), but it would be an absolute nightmare to organise it.

I hope you meant interested and not interesting :blink:

Whoever the fan is, I'd be very very careful about this appointment.

My personal opinion is there is a reasonable possibility that Rovers are in breach of English legislation in the way the affairs of the company are being conducted and anyone accepting a formal board appointment will be accepting personal legal responsibilities.

If it is not a full Directorship then we are looking at a publicity stunt in calling this a fan on the Board.

You think the s*it will hit the Fan?

I'm sure if Glen did get offered it he would obviously turn it down and request that there be a vote on it in the same way he felt the Pune trip should have been arranged.

Agreed – I want a vote on who is elected…..otherwise it’s just another chance for people to say they are ‘puppets’ are ‘got into bed with Venkys, or that they have been ‘hand-picked’. Anyone should be able to put forward their name and then a vote should be conducted based on the individual and their reason for being appointed etc.

Who's going to stage the vote Hughesy, and who can take part?

It's a nonsensical idea. Firstly, as Matty said, the owners will do what they want to do, a fan on the board would have little influence on the outcome of things. Secondly, that fans reputation wouldn't survive for long, because he will automatically be tied to the decisions made. Any board member has to accept joint responsibility for the decisions made by the board. If that member continually came from meetings claiming that the decisions were wrong and that he/she didn't agree with them,, I doubt he/she would be welcome too long. Let's say for instance that season ticket prices are raised significantly, the fans on the perimeter of things [99% of fans], rightly or wrongly, will see the fan on the board as being part of that decision.

He/she would have no chance.

This is indeed the ultimate aim of BRST. Very promising story, but it would have to be ensured that the fan was properly elected, and properly representative.

When we first got started with BRST, the reason we decided to go down the trust route was that it would be independent of the club, while attempting to work with it. I think by doing this, we are ensuring we are acting in the supporters interests, and not those of the owners.

There have been quite a few problems along the way, and the process is far more drawn out than we would have liked. I hope we can step up our efforts in the coming weeks and really get things moving!

Making a token gesture like this won't do anything to win the fans over. Unless the fan is actually qualified for a position on the board, they should stick to the terraces. We simply need the right people at the top AND on the training ground. Get those elements to click and the people will rejoice.

I will do it, on the basis it is a full directorship with full acces to company information

Full Directorship + company info would mean more power and responsibility, this however also would mean the role would be on the other side of the legal coin i.e. there would be one hell of a chance that you would be legally responsible for the actions of the company/employees etc etc..

Would anyone want to be legally responsible for the actions of people who do not fully understand the English legal ramifications of what they do?

I worry that if they do this and hire someone who does not have the skills nor the knowledge to fully understand their role and legal responsibilities that they would be putting some poor fan in a very awful position.

Would not take it myself (and I have a decent knowledge on company structures and directorships) simply on the grounds that if I found out that Rovers where doing something illegal that I would be in a catch 22 situation.. grass them up and watch as my club are docked points and collapse, attempt to hide the information which would mean I would be legally responsible as a director or go along with them and pray that I don't end up in jail.

However saying that the role will probably be a hollow one with no responsibility whatsoever.. in other words a token gesture not worth the paper it is writen on (pretty much every senior role will come with a standard NDA so released information would have to be agreed.. even the stuff you say to mates down the pub is considered breaking a NDA).

As I think I posted earlier, Alan Nixon is running before he can walk with this story. The club are 100% committed in opening new communication channels, Nothing has been decided and all avenue's are being explored.

I think the lack of the word exclusive in his story, shows that its him putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5,

I would however be quite interested to see who leaked this story to him, as the talks I had on Wednesday and the content of those talks have only been disclosed to a couple of individuals. (I for one have certainly not spoken to the press and as talks are on-going pretty certain no-one at the club has either)

The important thing to take from the story, is the club are keen to open up a channel of communication, and the indication is this will be done fairly with the fans interest always put 1st.

Of course with any new initiative (s) It won't please everyone, and people will no doubt find fault.

Lets see where things go, and who comes to the table to put their opinion forward on a professional level.

Spot on Veevs.

I understand that there would be a two-tier board meeting with part for the fan and a secret agenda which is a total non-starter.

Just like pregnancy, you cannot be 50% a Director under English law.

And as with any law in any country not knowing about it being illegal isn't an excuse no matter what country your in.

Spot on Veevs.

I understand that there would be a two-tier board meeting with part for the fan and a secret agenda which is a total non-starter.

Just like pregnancy, you cannot be 50% a Director under English law.

Exactly, thats why i stated that I would do it,

you know as well as I do Philip that there are precautions and actions that you can take to safeguard your position as a director,

bring it on as far as I am concerned, would love the challenge again

I think the fans need way too much communication and have been overly needy and repetitive over the next 11months. If Kean can't get the team ticking then we simply need an experienced manager at the helm asap - not a token fan on the board who can only represent their's and like mineded supporters' opinions.

I think the fans need way too much communication and have been overly needy and repetitive over the next 11months. If Kean can't get the team ticking then we simply need an experienced manager at the helm asap - not a token fan on the board who can only represent their's and like mineded supporters' opinions.

do you drive a Delorian?

Archived