BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's - Do You Support Them As Owners Of The Club?

608 members have voted

1. 1. Almost 12 Months on, do you support Venky's as owners of Blackburn Rovers Football Club?

• Yes I support Venky's
    • No I don't support Venky's
    • I am not sure and want to withold judgement at this time

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that struck me when listening to the podcast is:

Venkys employ all these established people like the 2 Hunts & P.Agnew why do they employ these people to give advice and then totally ignore their advice seems strange you bring people into a business to contribute give advice and then ignore that advice they might as well save the money and talk to a brick wall I also hope the rumour about coco buying a house in Lancashire is not true because if it is I will probably get done for lynching him :angry2:

A Henry Winter article about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8861306/Henry-Winter-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-makes-mark-as-a-manager-with-title-win-in-first-season-at-Molde.html

I like this quote:

"Chairmen of English clubs already chart his progress from afar. Noted for timing his runs well, Solskjaer must pick the right club in England, whether ambitious Championship or needy Premier League. If Steve Kean continues to flounder, Solskjaer's name will doubtless soon be linked with the Blackburn job."

In my opinion, if Venkys really wanted to gamble on an young, exciting, talented manager, then Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be in their sites. He is head and shoulders above Kean as a manager (primarily as Kean isn't).

A Henry Winter article about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/8861306/Henry-Winter-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-makes-mark-as-a-manager-with-title-win-in-first-season-at-Molde.html

I like this quote:

"Chairmen of English clubs already chart his progress from afar. Noted for timing his runs well, Solskjaer must pick the right club in England, whether ambitious Championship or needy Premier League. If Steve Kean continues to flounder, Solskjaer's name will doubtless soon be linked with the Blackburn job."

In my opinion, if Venkys really wanted to gamble on an young, exciting, talented manager, then Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be in their sites. He is head and shoulders above Kean as a manager (primarily as Kean isn't).

I would be delighted to get Solskjær, but he just moved to Norway with his family a year ago, after years and years in England, he wrote a four year contract with Molde (which would expire in 3 years now), Molde has just won the league for the very first time, on the clubs 100th anneversiry and they will get to Champions League where Solskjær is hoping to draw Manchester United. I cant see him leaving this exciting new project that he has started. But make no mistake, he is going to become a Premier League-manager I am sure, maybe in a few years, we could try again=)

Let’s look at where we were 12 months ago.

We were owned by the Walker Trust whose investment had all but dried up. They rarely, if ever, made any pronouncements regarding the club at all. All financial matters were fairly transparent as published in the clubs accounts.

All messages and information regarding the club and the team where made via the excellent John Williams and his assistant Ton Finn.

The trust and Williams managed the club extremely well, maintaining a tight grip on finances whilst keeping the club in a relatively comfortable mid-table position for many years. Yes, transfers generally netted a profit for the club but expectation was managed. The club rarely commented on transfer activity unless forced to do so by events.

Communication between club and the fans was good and I had a one-to-one conversation with John Williams in the later days of the Ince regime that went something like:

We have got a crap manager John, when he is going to get the bullet?

I am as concerned as you and am not sure yet if we have made the correct appointment in Paul. Be assured that the situation is under constant review and we are taking advice and are in conversation with the regular players. We will continue to back the manager as we should and if and when it becomes apparent that change is needed the club’s board will act. In the mean time you need to back the team as we cannot afford to be relegated.

John convinced me to support the team and when the tipping point was reached as Wigan action was taken swiftly and results changed.

There was a sensible and set method in place to appointment managers that worked very well in all but the case of Ince.

There were certainly grumblers during the Allardyce days, me included, but I think we all realized that we as a club were one bad managerial appointment away from the Championship, given the strength of our squad, and that Sam had to be “suffered” for a while to ensure out status.

Since the takeover it is apparent the new owners know as much about football as my cat. They turned down advice from proven football administrators in Williams and Finn in favour of listening to money-grabbing agents. It also seems they actually trusted themselves to make football decisions and given their complete lack of football knowledge and feel for the club is frightening.

The comments to the media have been a total embarrassment as far as I’m concerned.

The whole Kean saga has been a complete farce from start to not-yet-finished.

They have distanced fans from the club and caused divisions amongst the supporters.

Their financial management of the club is extremely concerning to say the least.

As for on-field matters, things have gone from good in 2010 to poor to very poor last season and this season have been catastrophic so far.

So do Venkys have my support, no.

Will I be booing them at the weekend, certainly.

They make me feel embarrassed to be a fan of the club I have followed for 40 years. With each day come more ridiculous statements and bad news while the club gets closer and closer to relegation.

To be frank if they had invited to me the slum that is Pune I would have gone if only to give them a good hiding.

I don’t take how or why but just hope they are gone as soon as possible.

If before the take over happened you had told a Rovers fan what to expect in the coming 12 months I’m sure no-one would believe you.

The Rao family have done very little to suggest they treat running us seriously.

All we ever hear from them is (inconsistent) drivel plus grave suspicions/concern remain over a number of key areas the true role of Steve Kean at the club, influence of Kentaro and the financial position of BRFC.

From pretty much day one I have had a very uneasy feeling with them in charge, there are a number of things which simply dont stack up or make sense ideally, I would love to be fully supportive of the owners/manager, however their own recklessness, and decision making, has led to a fairly grim situation at this moment in time.

You can state they are clever businessmen etc however the Rao family are only experts in what they do - since they have taken over, key decisions have been made with complete ignorance/incompetence along with a conflict of interest.

I have stated this previously and got shot down however they really did not know what they were getting into when buying the club - also, financially, it has been a massive wake up call to them. The cash flow problem in the summer provided a massive issues and even Kentaro Kean got a bit miffed.

As I have stated on the New Mortgage thread, I believe that there are some changes about to happen and our intrepid travellers Ian's B and C are about to be propelled into the lime light to help steer our club out of the choppy waters. Both are true blue and white, local businessmen, well connected and with the best intentions as not only business heads but Rovers supporters.

Give them a chance and give them our support as they only want what we want.

Under a nightmare scenario of Rovers being relegated with a demoralising points total (27ish?), Steve Kean still in charge, and the chicken nuggets still firmly in the box seat, how would things pan out?

We've all read the prophesies of doom, and I can well imagine that they have more than a grain of truth, but I'm thinking of how exactly things would unfold.

We would have a mortgage facility borrowed against all future income, does that replace the facility that was allowed to expire? We also have the debt accumulated under the previous regime that was roled up and transferred to Venky's (London) which I presume is a holding company with no assets or income of its own? Any other debts? I think I'm also right in saying there's now no longer any relegation clauses in players' contracts.

The only income we have would be the parachute money, and the match-day attendance money (such as it is). No money appears to be provided by Venky's, whether this is because they believe it's not worth the candle and they'd rather try to run the club on thin air, or whether they have in fact, no bloody money worth ploughing in, is a matter of conjecture. In any case, money provided by them seems thin on the ground.

When might the money start drying up? At some point bills are going to go unpaid, after one(?) season the parachute money goes.

I get the very strong feeling we are already an insolvent trader, but the additional facilities are papering over the cracks. With a substantial drop in income, the fissures will be blown wide open and presumably we will have to be placed in administration. The main creditor would presumably be Barclays, would they make a grab for their money as soon as the parachute payment comes in? Would they actually end up owning the club, taking it off of Venky's hands (meaning that the debt is paid off with equity??) and selling it to the first party who makes an offer Barclays can't refuse.

I'm not business-savvy enough to know, I'm just wondering how things would pan out, how long would it take? The silver-lining for me would hopefully be that the Venky's would have their grasp on the club released.

I cannot describe in mere words how much I loathe the nuggets. It's pure hatred. I want to kick the telly in when they appear on it.

Archived