BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul Robinson

Neal

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember being annoyed when we bought Friedel.

"Why the hell do we need an American keeper? We've got Filan?!"

Hindsight eh?

I couldn't get my head around the signing, as he was somewhat of a joke at Liverpool. Just goes to show, eh?

Surely Souness's greatest signing of all?

I couldn't get my head around the signing, as he was somewhat of a joke at Liverpool. Just goes to show, eh?

Surely Souness's greatest signing of all?

Tugay would have to come a close second.

It's a shame that Souness lost the plot at the end, because when he was good he was bloody excellent.

Interesting debate. As said I think he's definitely suspect from range, although his instinctive saves more than make up for this.

As for the Premiership Era Keeper rankings (only regulars)

1. Friedel - Arguably the best keeper in the world during his pomp at Ewood, definitely the best in the Premiership between 02-04, memorable performances? Where do you start? Southampton away, Fulham home, Worthington Cup Final, Goal vs. Charlton, away at Sheffield United and on and on

2. Flowers - Vital saves at vital times, particularly VE Day, but his kicking let him down. Memorable performances? VE Day and Stan Collymore's goal!

3. Robinson - Player of the Season last year, probably going to be remembered for his penalty heroics against Chelsea in the cup and the bravery away at Wigan rather than actually making saves!

4. Filan - Player of the Season the last time Rovers went down, made some stunning saves, had a good career after Rovers as well! Memorable performances? hmmm

5. Mimms - Remember him being solid, but nowhere near as good as Flowers.

I'd say Mimms & Filan would both be above Robbo, not really slanting Robbo but they were both better keepers IMO.

We have been blessed with a crop of good goalies over the last 20 years or so.

Did he actually play competitive games for us?

I've always thought not, but may be wrong.

I remember he was on loan (at Sunderland?) and broke records with clean sheets before we sold him on.

Else, Blacklaw, Barton, Jones, some Australian guy, the list of memorable keepers goes on. Robinson is a bit of an enigma-some moments during a game he is top drawer turning well hit shots away but at other times he seems flat-footed and rooted to the line. I still think he is easily top ten though compared to others I've seen this season including so called bigger clubs. Brad is still the best at 41.

Bradshaw, Butcher, Arnold all reasonable goalies, Jones and Friedel my favorites.

Robbo struggles getting down (not the 'getting down' that you may hear an Afro Carribean American say) but low shots either side of him. But I still think he's a good all round keeper.

personlly think robinson is our worst 1st team keeper we have had in the prem, if he wasnt so high profile hed have been dropped a long time ago im sure, im not into stats just what ive seen with my eyes, he inspieres zero confidance and never no matter how well were playing does he look like keeping a clean sheat, hes just a short range shotstopper, the football leagues are full of them getting paid a fraction of what robinson recieves and the way he always punches or parries the ball 9 out of 10 times instead of simply catching it really boils my nuts.

and im not blinded by how great friedle was, before brad we had Filan, Flowers and Kelly, which where all better allaround keepers than robinson.

Been watching since Fred Else and I agree with you. Robbo, deeply average. We've had plenty better in my time.

Filan and Kelly better than Robinson? Never!

Kelly-probably not better, Filan if im honest was very simlar to robinson in that he was a very good shot stopper but fairly average in other departments the biggest critism if i remeber right was his poor communication with his defenders which led to alan kelly being brought in(and he did like to have a good rant at his defenders). What i really dont like about robinson is that hes kept in the squad largely because he is a high profile player with a lot of media connections, so im guessing kean is scared of upsetting him even though we looked much more solid when bunn was playing.

C'mon this is getting silly now. I loved Terry Genoe as much as the next Rovers fan but better than Robbo?

:blink:

When we are in the third tier and have some unknown bloke in the sticks, then we can complain.

FFS.

Freidal definitely the best goal-keeper we've ever had in my (too many) decades) of watching Rovers.

I'm surprised that there's been little mention of Flowers though. 2nd best imo. The Newcastle game will live with me forever. :tu:

Was that the game where it hit a divert in front of him and went sailing over his shoulder?

Oh no just been on utube and that was the Liverpool game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderation Lead

Robinson is a great Rovers Keeper!!!

Friedal was the best rovers keeper I've seen at rovers!!!

Indeed, never thought we'd do better than Flowers, but we really have been blessed with some amazingly talented 'keepers over the years.

John Roberts?

Yes; that was the guy - perhaps a bit exotic for the 60's when foreign/Commonwealth footballers were far less common than they are today. I don't know; but I just felt he didn't get a fair crack of the whip, due to the relegation situation.

Talking of fair cracks of the whip, I can't help wishing [as I did at the time] that we'd promoted Given above Flowers - we could have had 15 years [and counting] out of a classy keeper. Don't get me wrong; I'm not denigating Flowers; just saying that, if we'd taken a punt on Given, it would have been repaid for years and years.

Similarly, 15 years on [and I know nothing other than what I read on here from people who are obviously closer to the training regime than I, as a fan, would ever want to be]: I'm a bit sad that we couldn't have persevered with Fielding. I remember reading posts on here which hinted at an arrogant side to him. Even if that's true, I'd rather we'd have kept him and developed him.

Or am I being old-fashioned, harking back to the days when most players were local? If I am, I'd like to think it was in the club's best interests.

Archived