BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Youth Cup Semi

folkdevil

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to admit it but I thought there was a distinct lack of effort by a lot of Rovers fans (and I'm talking staunch Rovers fans who will be there if we ever went to the 4th Div) to go over last night. Folk who go everywhere, didn't bother to go last night.

Also bragging to Burnley fans that we have the better team and 'that's why you're Championship', sticks in my throat a bit. We could easily be a Championship side one day with a non academy status. The only thing WE have control over is ourselves as fans and our desire to support our tea,m over and above the ability of the team on the pitch (which again we have no control over).

Our fans were good last night (backed by the physio on the bench whom I know), but lets make sure we aren't just good because we're winning. There may be tough times ahead!

1333027202[/url]' post='1239660']

Longsider! I think I heard a drum in the Longside last night. we've just got rid of our drummer. They kill the atmosphere and are an embarrassment!

BTW the drum is no excuse for your lack of atmosphere last night :P

I was amazed your lot weren't more vocal!

No drum that I've ever seen, you may have heard them banging on the back of the upper tier, does sound like a drum sometimes.

Ewood can be library like (most of the time!) , but not for Burnley.

1st minute to last we are up for it (not just when we are winning), seems odd that you lot aren't the same.

To be fair, they have more than been up for our league and cup encounters!

electric atmospheres! Still outsung by rovers though! ;)

was sad to see a load of em sneak out as soon as we went 2 up though!

No drum that I've ever seen, you may have heard them banging on the back of the upper tier, does sound like a drum sometimes.

damn. thought i had one over my burnley supporting mates, who always took the p.iss about our drummer, and the fact that the drum was all that could be picked up by the effects mics on tv!

To be fair, they have more than been up for our league and cup encounters!

electric atmospheres! Still outsung by rovers though! ;)

was sad to see a load of em sneak out as soon as we went 2 up though!

Not sure I agree with that, the Premiership game at their place was extremely poor from the home fans, comprehensively out sung by the Rovers fans from start to finish.

The reason given for this was that the majority of home fans were busy talking about how many fans had been locked out and how many would be going to the next away game without tickets due to demand :D

Its great isn't it, burnley fans spending weeks talking up our encounters, we just turn up, win and go home happy :D

can we please talk about the kids who won instead of some petty crap? our 2 centre backs last night were brilliant. positioning, distrubution, composure on the ball. surely one's to look out for in the future. must be something in the water down at brockhall what with Jones and Hanley coming through recently. :rover:

We need as many fans as possible for the final now,simple as.God knows these young lads wearing our famous colors deserve it!

Lets hope for a crowd similar to a Premiership game at Ewood...COME ON ROVERS FANS STEP UP!!

This really is a golden chance to put some belief back into this club.

We need as many fans as possible for the final now,simple as..God knows these young lads wearing our famous colors deserve it!

Agreed, I don't think I'd make the trip to Stamford bridge mind but I'd definatly make the trip to Old Trafford of they manage to turn it around. The home game should have at least the same attendance as the 1st leg

We need as many fans as possible for the final now,simple as.God knows these young lads wearing our famous colors deserve it!

Lets hope for a crowd similar to a Premiership game at Ewood...COME ON ROVERS FANS STEP UP!!

Not hoping for big numbers then!?

This all means, that the Academy MUST go for Category 1 status with the new Academy Elite Players' Performance Plan that comes into force at the beginning of next season.

Anything less is NOT the way forward for our club. We must remain at the forefront and continue to produce youngsters such as these. If the owners want to show their commitment to Rovers, the Academy must be upgraded and the facilities therein brought back to the state of the art condition that Jack Walker originally provided - sadly the Trust did not ensure that the facilities were updated and we have been overtaken by other Academies in this respect.

As investment in this area has not been forthcoming for some years there is now work to be done. I trust that we will see this work undertaken in the very near future.

A few other comments:

DISAPPOINTED that the famous blue and white halves were not sported in at least one of these matches. A slight on our proud history in my opinion.

ANNOYED that Rovers did not produce some sort of programme however limited for our match at Ewood and that team sheets were not readily available to all.

DELIGHTED that the lads have progressed to the Finals of this prestigious cup. WELL DONE.

COYB

29000 at Ewood the last time we won it! And I was there, with my Mum and Dad both sadly now deceased. This is why we support Rovers, its in the blood.

This all means, that the Academy MUST go for Category 1 status with the new Academy Elite Players' Performance Plan that comes into force at the beginning of next season.

Anything less is NOT the way forward for our club. We must remain at the forefront and continue to produce youngsters such as these. If the owners want to show their commitment to Rovers, the Academy must be upgraded and the facilities therein brought back to the state of the art condition that Jack Walker originally provided - sadly the Trust did not ensure that the facilities were updated and we have been overtaken by other Academies in this respect.

As investment in this area has not been forthcoming for some years there is now work to be done. I trust that we will see this work undertaken in the very near future.

Are they not settling for Category 2 with the youths being educated on site at QEGS.

I am given to understand a decision has not yet been made. I sincerely hope that Category 2 is not agreed over Category 1. It could lead to any of our youngsters being poached on a whim. In my view, this would show a clear lack of ambition. Investment would repay itself over and over in years to come.

Phil Jones is the optimum example. Proceeds from one such player could provide everything the Academy and Senior Training Centre needs. Without such an Academy the continuing costs of providing a full squad of Premier League players would quite likely be unsustainable for our club and a threat to our Premier League status.

I am given to understand a decision has not yet been made. Without such an Academy the continuing costs of providing a full squad of Premier League players would quite likely be unsustainable for our club and a threat to our Premier League status.

You mean another threat to our Premier League status? :rolleyes:

A few other comments:

DISAPPOINTED that the famous blue and white halves were not sported in at least one of these matches. A slight on our proud history in my opinion.

ANNOYED that Rovers did not produce some sort of programme however limited for our match at Ewood and that team sheets were not readily available to all.

DELIGHTED that the lads have progressed to the Finals of this prestigious cup. WELL DONE.

COYB

Great post.

I think failure to really take the academy seriously will be the final nail in our long term coffin. Given the relative costs to running it, compared with the potential long term benefits, it simply must receive investment and support.

Cost cutting at that level is completely unforgivable. But if they have downgraded all of the staff involved, downgrading the quality of the academy players (by allowing them to be poached) seems entirely likely. Maybe the new rule about non-Premier League clubs getting a pittance for their rising stars means they don't care about "in-house production" and they'll simply "buy-in" lower league clubs' youth developed players and stick them straight in the reserves - well at least the ones no other clubs want.

Saying that, if we are relegated in the next couple of years, we will be on the receiving end of that cruel new policy instead - without the potential for auction.

Everything they do seems built on the principles of business prosperity and not football prosperity (if we are lucky). It'll be nice if we are still in business as a League 1 team but even then, will they learn the reasons football exists in the first place? And it damn sure isn't to make money.

If they didn't bother going for Cat 1 status, or heaven forbid, closed the academy altogether, would it change your opinion of the Raos, 'mum?

Roversmum is spot on and I believe it would be disastrous if the owners don't support these plans. Should we survive, this will be key in not only providing us with great long-term stability but will give us opportunities to become self-sustainable off the fiels and competitive on it.

Roversmum is spot on and I believe it would be disastrous if the owners don't support these plans. Should we survive, this will be key in not only providing us with great long-term stability but will give us opportunities to become self-sustainable off the fiels and competitive on it.

The owners have not supported ANYTHING since their arrival ..I don't expect them to change now !!!

Archived