BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looking Ahead to Next Season

Whilst it pains me to speak about this, I wanted to look at how the club would shape up ON THE FIELD if not on it, were we to get relegated this season.

Which players do you guys see leaving, but more importantly, which of the current squad do you see staying. Looking back over the years, Newcastle were able to retain the bulk of their squad, even West Ham kept a number of their players, but Birmingham City turned over most of their key players, even if they've turned out to be less "key" than the media had you believing last season.

One positive is the strength of our current youth set up. Could some players be catapulted into starring roles? Do you think 1 step back could be 2 steps forward IF Venkys leave and we return with some established young players and a whole new buzz?

For what its worth, I've divided my thoughts into 2 categories: Certain to leave, Wanting to stay, with a third category which would be a bit unclear as of now cause it would depend upon interest as well as how much they were to be paid, etc...

I see the following players WANTING to stay: Dunn, Pedersen, Bunn, Orr, Slew, Blackman, Marcus Olsson, Goodwillie, Hanley, Morris, Lowe, Henley

I see the following players CERTAIN to leave: Martin Olsson, Junior, Nzonzi, Formica, Dann, Rochina, Yakubu, Vukcevic, Grella

In limbo: Robinson, Givet

I would strongly consider "loaning" 1 or 2 of our players from the list like Martin Olsson possibly for a season if it means we came back up and they would re-join the club but that is wishful thinking.

Already we have seen "Championship" players join the squad this season as we re-shaped the squad. People like Orr and Goodwillie will find that level their own. With that said, were we to go down we may see the following line-up at the start of next season: Bunn, Orr, Hanley, Myles Anderson, Henley, Lowe, Dunn, Pedersen, Marcus Olsson, Goodwillie, Slew

Food for thought.

I see the following players CERTAIN to leave: Martin Olsson, Junior, Nzonzi, Formica, Dann, Rochina, Yakubu, Vukcevic, Grella

Not sure all of those would definatly leave. Don't think Olsson would be a definate with his brother joining, and not sure there would be many takers for a Formica (at least PL) and hasn't Rochina already said he would stay if we get relegated?

I think everyone will want to go into top flight football if there is an offer - I mean who doesn't, but really it is a case of whether other clubs are interested or not. I would probably see us lining up something like:-

-------------------Bunn

Orr-----Hanley------??????-----Henley

----------Petrovic------Lowe

-Vukcevic----Rochina--Marcus Olsson

----------------Goodwillie

Buyers can probably be found for all these players, although I doubt we will get more than a couple of million each:-

*Olsson

*Nzonzi

*Formica

*Givet

*Dann (maybe...? He might be tricky to sell on performances so far)

*Robinson

*Yakubu

*Pedersen

Not sure all of those would definatly leave. Don't think Olsson would be a definate with his brother joining, and not sure there would be many takers for a Formica (at least PL) and hasn't Rochina already said he would stay if we get relegated?

Swedish international wanting to stay in Championship? Doubt it. I havent heard Ruben say that. Formica would go abroad.

I very much doubt Robbo & Givet will be in "Limbo". They would be off like a shot.

Who would take Robinson is the question? Would he improve anyone's goal in the PL? I dont know.

Givet depends if we want to make him captain and get him to stay but with all the Francophiles leaving I can see a return to Ligue 1.

I have actually been thinking about this quite alot.

I think you would find that alot will be determined by what happens behind the sceens.

If Venkys and the bald fool are still around then I honestly think we will lose everyone worth having. Even at championship level.

I think a new, experienced manager could hold onto alot of the younger ones and the odd experienced player.

If we don't go down this year we will next year if things don't change and dramatically.

But if we go down I would see the following being in the team next season:

Bunn,

Orr, Hanley, Dann, Henley

Marcus O, Lowe, Petrovic, Martin O

Goodwillie, Ruben

I would be delighted if qwe could hold onto Simon and then he would be a certain starter but he won't stay.

Don't think there is much to look forward to.

If we manage to scape survival, in all probability, Venky's will remain owners, Kean's contract will be extended, our better players will leave and more dross will be signed and by Christmas time, we will be well and truly adrift.

Go down and it's meltdown.

TGIF !!!

Who would take Robinson is the question? Would he improve anyone's goal in the PL? I dont know.

I can imagine only Bolton and QPR, perhaps Wolves, being desperate enough to want him. He might get into Norwich, but they probably wouldn't pay him enough. And some of those might not even be in the PL either next season. So I would be inclined to think Robinson would stay, even if Bunn would be good enough and a cheaper option.

Givet would probably leave if we would buy him out/let him go for free to some bottom Ligue Un -team. Don't think there would be anyone interested to pay something for him.

To Stay:

Bunn, Marcus O, Henley, Hanley, Lowe, Orr, Goodie, Slew, Morris, Riberio, Anderson, Cotton, Linganzi, J.Kean, Blackman.

More ressies will probably get promoted into the first team to avoid siging more players.

Off:

Pedersen, Dunn, Robbo, Givet, Dann, Yak - Those will get bought by someone in the prem, lower end of the table teams in some cases, if West Ham go up i could see Allardyce making a move for 1 or 2 of them. The Yak has already done enough to ensure he will be playing top flight footy next season.

Fonzi, Junior & Olsson i expect to be off regardless of survival in the summer.

Formica, Vukcevic, Petrovic, Rochina would all find homes abroad.

Grella and Sally (if still here) would be out of contract.

In any case a massive overhaul would be needed. Despite there still being some promising young players Henley, Hanley, Morris, Cotton, Marcus Olsson we would need alot of players to sustain a reasonable position in the Championship.

• Backroom

Dont think Gamst would come to the Championship. If we go down I think he would take a stab at a club in another european league like italy, spain, greece, germany or something.

Gamst was available on a potential free (end of contract) only a short time ago and nobody snapped him up. He's hardly been pulling up trees since then - what makes you think a club will pay a fee for him?

We got money for Andrews, so getting a small fee for Pedersen is realistic.

We did? Atleast it was reported as a free transfer, even buying out his contract was suggested at some point?

• Backroom

As for why we've now let two players (Emerton & Andrews) go on a free despite having contracts... actually, we terminated Diouf's contract too so technically that counts as three off the top of my head.

How often does that happen at premiership clubs?

It doesnt. We also paid Nelsen to leave,lets not forget. Ludicrous decisions to bring wage bill into control and cut costs which only went up due to Venkys poor management, signing the wrong players, paying too much money to agents, renewing contracts for the same players we got rid of less than a year later.

Already we have seen "Championship" players join the squad this season as we re-shaped the squad. People like Orr and Goodwillie will find that level their own. With that said, were we to go down we may see the following line-up at the start of next season: Bunn, Orr, Hanley, Myles Anderson, Henley, Lowe, Dunn, Pedersen, Marcus Olsson, Goodwillie, Slew

Food for thought.

Myles Anderson wasn't good enough to get a game

for Orient last year so we would be looking at another relegation if players of that quality were getting a game for us. He is only even going to be at the club if Kean is still there but even he would not be brave enough to play him would he?

Archived