BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean's Future Set To Be Discussed

At the end of the day if a sports man doesn't want to compete at the highest level he can, then he's not a sports man.

I want to see Rovers dining at the top table, where we have earnt the right to be over the last 20 odd years. Yes winning more often than not is great at the lower levels, but I'd always want Rovers to be testing themselves against the best and that's not in the championship or below. Everything the club did prior to us being invaded by Chicken people was all about Rovers staying and competing at the top table. Now it seems quite clear that the club doesn't really care about that anymore and are willing to eat at any table, as long as there is one.

Sport is all about becoming better, that's been lost at Rovers.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realism suggest Kean is going to survive, as ridiculous as that is given what has gone on. I think it will come down to money - they don't want to pay him off - and the fact that no half decent manager will want the gig given the shambles the club is in.

I predict League One and administration within the next 12 months. I truly hope I am wrong, but its the only logical outcome to not getting rid of Kean, Venky's not wanting to sell / wanting £30m plus for the club, and Venky's not prepared to put any of their own money in.

I love going to watch rovers, have had a season ticket for over 30 years, but with 2 young kids cannot do the sensible thing and just go to away games. I am going to follow my heart this weekend and renew, when my head tells me its going to asset strippers pockets. Not sure what else to do. A very sad Rovers fan...

Yes, you've got to want to compete at the top level haven't you?

I do understand fans looking back at the good seasons we had in the lower leagues - and they were great. However, we had an awful lot of very poor seasons down there as well. What was great about the three consecutive seasons we made the play off for the top division? The dream that we could play there again, that's surely what we all wanted.

I couldn't agree more den. It's the reason why I could never forgive Desai and her family for what they have done to this club. I don't care if Kean is sacked or not - although I would prefer him to go - the real loss is the fact that top flight status has been frittered away so needlessly. We spent 25 years after 1966 trying to get back and apart from a season under Gordon Lee and a couple under Howard Kendall there was very little to get truly excited about. The Full Members' Cup win, the heartache of the play-offs doesn't come close to matching what we have had over the past eleven years, let alone what we had when Jack was alive.

Are they? Everton, Sunderland and Villa fans are expecting CL?

BRFC has no right to be competing at the top end of the Championship, we will not have the income or management to aspire tot that.

We are far more likely to do a Coventry, thrash about in the bottom half and then fall through to League 1.

With regular PL TV money and quality management we were comfortable in the most high profile league in world football. I loved seeing our town club consitently being in the top half of the Premier League with regular cup runs, you didn't?

spot on,just being in the premiership is far better than trying to get out of the championship,no brainer!

I would think that if Kean is staying he will have to take a pay-cut.

If West Ham go up, then he would be the highest paid Championship manager if he says on current level.

Just shows that the job is by no means unattractive.

I'd take an experienced head like McCarthy. In an ideal world Venkys sell and new owners pursuade Holloway.

Jack Dyson‏@JackahDyson

Just at Rovers Training ground, thoughts here are that Kean is on his way out of the club... Very nervy atmosphere has to be said! #BRFC

Jack Dyson‏@JackahDyson

Just at Rovers Training ground, thoughts here are that Kean is on his way out of the club... Very nervy atmosphere has to be said! #BRFC

has he said he is coming to collect his dart board?

At the end of the day if a sports man doesn't want to compete at the highest level he can, then he's not a sports man.

I want to see Rovers dining at the top table, where we have earnt the right to be over the last 20 odd years. Yes winning more often than not is great at the lower levels, but I'd always want Rovers to be testing themselves against the best and that's not in the championship or below. Everything the club did prior to us being invaded by Chicken people was all about Rovers staying and competing at the top table. Now it seems quite clear that the club doesn't really care about that anymore and are willing to eat at any table, as long as there is one.

Sport is all about becoming better, that's been lost at Rovers.

Correct, even if it was a mid table Premier League side, as long as the mindset was to be the very best you can be, Sparky was always upping the anti, improving the points total from the previous year, Sam was the same and when we had Uncle Jack, with the money available, the mindset was to win the league, as a player, manager or even during your own working life, aspirations should always be 'to be better'!

Iirc correctly Hughes always said the target was to try to get into Europe whereas Souness and Allardyce constantly set the bar to the bare minimum......survival

Yeah but even Dalglish in our title winning season said our goal is to avoid relegation. Once we are safe we will aquire as many points as possible and see where we end up. Just takes the pressure off the team

It does raise a topic I was talking to my friends about the other day.

Its got to a point now in the Premier League where only 2 or 3 clubs have a realistic chance of winning the league.

Where does that leave the rest of the clubs who are there effectively just to make up numbers. If a big club like Newcastle,Everton,Spurs etc has a brilliant season the best they can hope for is 3rd or 4th.

For all the enjoyment City have achieved with winning the league, this is totally out of reach for any other club unless they get their own billionaire owner. Is that really what English football is about?

There is talk of Man Utd, City, Chelsea etc going to a European super league. I think the other clubs shouldn't rule this out. The remaining league would be a much more competitive place and give fans real hope they could win something.

For those saying "well it wouldn't be the highest level". Well City and United are miles behind Barca/Real etc in Europe, but it doesn't stop them celebrating winning the Premiership, even though its not the highest level.

Anyway - back on topic... has Kean landed back in the UK yet?

Cryer:

"When, and if, I have any news on the situation I will let you know. Pretty sure something is happening, but it is as vague as that Im afraid."

Going round in circles then...

Not like Cryer to be vague, Somerset! ;)

People continue to make fools of themselves in hope of acclaim.

I have this strange gut feeling Kean has been sacked. Does anyone else think it's strange that if he has kept his job, he is being totally out of character and keeping quiet. Surely if he was taking us forward in to the Championship he would have phoned his mates at Sky telling them about his 'big' budget, how all the top players are going to stay and about the exciting times ahead.

Go a funny feeling we may be waiting until Kean himself has broken the news to the staff before his sacking is announced...........fingers crossed anyway

It's difficult to play Billy big ###### with sky from 30,000ft. If he still hasn't gobbed off by Monday then I might start believing.

Did he go straight from the meeting and on to the plane?? The guy loves to play Billy Big ******* I just think it's strange that Sky were reporting he was in India discussing his future and yet we haven't heard any of his usual BULL****

It's difficult to play Billy big ###### with sky from 30,000ft. If he still hasn't gobbed off by Monday then I might start believing.

I guess any offical press releases would come through his agent and Rovers.co.uk if there was anything positive to report His agent also has a penchant for the limelight.

Kean wont be sacked Mrs d has put him in charge of car parking at darwen vale school where he has promised to increase parking spaces by next season at no extra cost to venky's .

Lots of parking for all the fans that won't be coming while Kean still has any connection to the club.

I still hope that he could be on the brink. I think that it's significant that after all the time that was spent in meetings no one has come out to say how the support the manager. He never misses the chance to declare how he has the full support of the owners. If, as it has been suggested, that his future depends on Junior Holliet signing a new contract, I think he could be facing the exit door. I think that money and having a new manager lined up may be a reason for the hold up.

In saying all that, he'll probably arrive back tonight, smiling like a buffoon, telling the world how his future was never discussed and how they were talking about assembling a squad blah blah blah.

Archived