BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Meeting with Minister of sport and premier league

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stuff about the meeting on talksport shortly if anyone cares...

heard it. glen spoke clearly and Hawksbee and Jacobs were sympathetic to what he had to say - but then they are the best broadcasters on talksport.

Text from BRFC Action Group Website (link in mark 1875s post above).

“The BRFC Action Group met with Richard Scudamore of the Premier League on Wednesday to put across the growing concerns surrounding the long-term future of Blackburn Rovers. We are pleased that Mr Scudamore gave us an un-prejudiced opportunity to put across various bits of information and documentation which had not been previously looked at by the Premier League. He showed throughout the hour and half meeting an understanding and warmth towards the group and wider supporter base.  He spoke in detail about the Premier League’s legislation surrounding the fit and proper test and the in-depth enquiries made when an application for new ownership of any club is made. We were satisfied that the  Premier League had carried out every reasonable step possible to ensure that the sale of Blackburn Rovers Football Club from the Walkers Trust to Venkys had gone through every safeguarding measure possible. Mr Scudamore assured the group that Blackburn Rovers was not a closed case despite their relegation from the Premiership and he will continue to look at any evidence presented which could suggest malpractice or contravenes the rules and regulations of the Premier League. The Premier League has a zero tolerance towards issue’s which can bring our national game into disrepute  and their message to all clubs are clear and transparent. Any evidence provided which shows a clear breach of such legislation will be thoroughly examined and the necessary steps and punishments will be implemented forthwith.

The BRFC Action Group will continue dialogue with the Premier League and will offer full co-operation should any case need to be heard”

Well done guys, so glad you didn't get fobbed off. Good choice in taking Philip along as well.

Love to hear some of this in more detail, if possible, although aware some may not be for public consumption. A podcast to discuss which parts you can?

I dont think it's a secret around here that I don't always agree with Philip, but I echo those who have said you have done well to get him on board. Philip is an intelligent and very professional guy who can get his point across well. Just the type of person you need to have in these types of meetings.

It was a good shout by somebody.

I dont think it's a secret around here that I don't always agree with Philip, but I echo those who have said you have done well to get him on board. Philip is an intelligent and very professional guy who can get his point across well. Just the type of person you need to have in these types of meetings.

It was a good shout by somebody.

Agree completely, Phillip was excellent in the meeting. It was something which Glen suggested in the early stages of planning the meeting, myself and Glen discussed on a few occasions throughout and when the meeting was confirmed, invited Phillip along. It was indeed the correct decision as he came prepared, structured and clear with the points he made, he was also crucial in the opening stages of the meeting in making it clear to Mr Scudamore we meant business.

Fantastic asset

Agree completely, Phillip was excellent in the meeting. It was something which Glen suggested in the early stages of planning the meeting, myself and Glen discussed on a few occasions throughout and when the meeting was confirmed, invited Phillip along. It was indeed the correct decision as he came prepared, structured and clear with the points he made, he was also crucial in the opening stages of the meeting in making it clear to Mr Scudamore we meant business.

Fantastic asset

Question for anyone who was there. Scudamore quite rightly came in for some stick over what seemed dismissive comments that Rovers fans should "get over" being relegated and "move on".

I'm interested to know if people's opinions were changed during the meeting and what possibility of it having been a "tell you want you want to hear" situation?

I really want to believe that something good will come of this meeting but it's hard not to be cynical. Although we must be due some good news...

Question for anyone who was there. Scudamore quite rightly came in for some stick over what seemed dismissive comments that Rovers fans should "get over" being relegated and "move on".

I'm interested to know if people's opinions were changed during the meeting and what possibility of it having been a "tell you want you want to hear" situation?

I really want to believe that something good will come of this meeting but it's hard not to be cynical. Although we must be due some good news...

I am sure Glen and Phillip will come on and give their thoughts on this one too, however from my perspective...

Me and Glen had discussed at some length during preparation for the meeting how to tackle it, we did expect Mr Scudamore to be dismissive and defensive to us and we thought we would have to take the strong approach to him and had many things planned if we were met by this approach.

Going into the meeting our approach did change due to his reactions, he was genuinely interested in what we had to say, he wrote down notes as we spoke and asked us to elaborate as much as we could on the points he was particularly interested in, he acknowledged that you can only legislate for incompetence for so long. I was always wary of the "give them an hour to get it off their chest and get them out the door" possibility in the run up to the meeting but i genuinely never felt that was the case.

It was made absolutely clear to him that this was not about relegation, it was about the cleansing of our football club, he was extremely interested in what we said, certainly some things shook him, he knows that he is not as privileged to information as those whom live amongst it. As i said he took notes, took the information, questioned us and asked us to elaborate and in my honest opinion he was genuinely interested in what we brought forward to him and i am confident he will go away and study the information given in more detail.

It was made absolutely clear to him that this was not about relegation, it was about the cleansing of our football club, he was extremely interested in what we said, certainly some things shook him, he knows that he is not as privileged to information as those whom live amongst it. As i said he took notes, took the information, questioned us and asked us to elaborate and in my honest opinion he was genuinely interested in what we brought forward to him and i am confident he will go away and study the information given in more detail.

Spot on. It must be emphasised to everybody with whom you meet that relegation is not the issue here. What the supporters are rightly worked up about is the way in which the club's loss of league position has been enabled by those who (in a normal world) must have its best interests at heart. I've said on many occasions that the manner in which the club has been stripped from the inside out then left to rot is totally unprecedented in English football. It speaks to internal affairs that are far from mere incompetence and are thus worthy of some independent investigation at least.

I am sure Glen and Phillip will come on and give their thoughts on this one too, however from my perspective...

Me and Glen had discussed at some length during preparation for the meeting how to tackle it, we did expect Mr Scudamore to be dismissive and defensive to us and we thought we would have to take the strong approach to him and had many things planned if we were met by this approach.

Going into the meeting our approach did change due to his reactions, he was genuinely interested in what we had to say, he wrote down notes as we spoke and asked us to elaborate as much as we could on the points he was particularly interested in, he acknowledged that you can only legislate for incompetence for so long. I was always wary of the "give them an hour to get it off their chest and get them out the door" possibility in the run up to the meeting but i genuinely never felt that was the case.

Thanks Mark. Here's hoping. I guess the key now will be the follow up, and in particular how quickly this happens.

I think the important point in the meeting is we could name our sources, produce evidence and had a few different angles to put across the case.

The BRFC Action group has been putting a case together since its formation, and Scudamore's pen was very busy.

He was open and honest.

Add to that that Philip and his team have also been investigating other aspects whilst he also produced some pretty solid stuff, it meant we had all bases covered. None of the work put in by the team which went, was rebuffed, quite the opposite in fact.

Its important that the fine details of the meeting are kept under the radar for now, as that would jeapardise any progress the Premier League wishes to make regarding the whole before/during and after case at Blackburn Rovers.

Meetings with the FA and Football league are also being acclerated to allow us to present further information which is relevant to those particular bodies.

What is the aim of the action group and meetings? Not a rovers fan, but have family who are, and just wondered how going to the premier league could help rovers and what the desired outcome would be from this meeting?

How will they help get venkys out? U still need a buyer to match their asking price?

What is the aim of the action group and meetings? Not a rovers fan, but have family who are, and just wondered how going to the premier league could help rovers and what the desired outcome would be from this meeting?

How will they help get venkys out? U still need a buyer to match their asking price?

The BRFC Action Group is an FSF affiliated supporters group open to all with branches in 23 countries.

The groups aim is to see a well run Blackburn rovers who treats its supporters with the same love, that we show for it. The group has a committee elected by its members and will continue to be a democratic elected voice for its members. In the clubs hour of need we never had a voice, hence the group was born.

The aim of the meetings is to produce previously unseen evidence to the relevant authorites, if within this evidence a clear breach of the rules has taken place, then the governing bodies can force a sale.

On asking prices etc, there is plenty of interest in rovers,

The BRFC Action Group is an FSF affiliated supporters group open to all with branches in 23 countries.

The groups aim is to see a well run Blackburn rovers who treats its supporters with the same love, that we show for it. The group has a committee elected by its members and will continue to be a democratic elected voice for its members. In the clubs hour of need we never had a voice, hence the group was born.

The aim of the meetings is to produce previously unseen evidence to the relevant authorites, if within this evidence a clear breach of the rules has taken place, then the governing bodies can force a sale.

On asking prices etc, there is plenty of interest in rovers,

Thanks for the explanation. Wouldn't a sale have to go through the British courts though as I can't see venkys walking away so easily. Good luck

I think the important point in the meeting is we could name our sources, produce evidence and had a few different angles to put across the case.

The BRFC Action group has been putting a case together since its formation, and Scudamore's pen was very busy.

He was open and honest.

Add to that that Philip and his team have also been investigating other aspects whilst he also produced some pretty solid stuff, it meant we had all bases covered. None of the work put in by the team which went, was rebuffed, quite the opposite in fact.

Its important that the fine details of the meeting are kept under the radar for now, as that would jeapardise any progress the Premier League wishes to make regarding the whole before/during and after case at Blackburn Rovers.

Meetings with the FA and Football league are also being acclerated to allow us to present further information which is relevant to those particular bodies.

I may be reading too much between the lines, but it seems the FA want us to come up with something tangible that they can then act on.

Again, thanks guys, for all the efforts you have put in.

I suppose you can painstakingly build up a picture by reference to a set of events that shows a particular conclusion to be the most obvious one.

It can always be denied though and unproven.

So have we found the smoking gun?

Hope so!

Archived