BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leon Best

I finally caved in today and renewed my season ticket. I still hate the owners guts, and kean can still do one, but what's been going on in the last month or so can only really be described as positive. A new upper management structure (albeit one with Agnew involved), Kean not opening his mouth every two seconds, Danny Murphy - who should give us the experience and leadership we need on the pitch, and now Leon Best, who, at the amount we have got him for, is a freakin steal.

I appreciate that we got Murphy and Best on high wage packages, and therefore are maybe paying over the odds for them in the long term, but actually i think that is a good sign that the owners are finally willing to spend money and be more pro-active, instead of just sitting there doing f' all.

Time will tell I guess, but the signing of Best for me, is enough to make me have a little bit of faith that the club may be slowly getting itself back on the right track.

Its said that humanity fails to learn the lessons of history because people forget. Now I can understand that over a time period of decades or centuries, but 1 year? Its that all its taken to forget that most of our fans were writing exactly the same thing you've just written last summer? I'll fully admit I was one of them, I wanted to believe it then despite Venkys having already let us all down once, I wanted to give them a second chance. But in my opinion its sheer madness to give them a third chance. They haven't changed, and these feeble token gestures mean will mean zilch once the season starts. Identical summer of phoney improvement and misplaced optimism, get ready for an identical season of bitter failure.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its said that humanity fails to learn the lessons of history because people forget. Now I can understand that over a time period of decades or centuries, but 1 year? Its that all its taken to forget that most of our fans were writing exactly the same thing you've just written last summer? I'll fully admit I was one of them, I wanted to believe it then despite Venkys having already let us all down once, I wanted to give them a second chance. But in my opinion its sheer madness to give them a third chance. They haven't changed, and these feeble token gestures mean will mean zilch once the season starts. Identical summer of phoney improvement and misplaced optimism, get ready for an identical season of bitter failure.

Are you trying to say that Steve Kean has failed on his targets? I have here his New Years message for 2011....

"Welcome back to Ewood Park and can I start by wishing all our supporters a very happy and successful 2011. Have a good one!

As for Rovers, the hopes and aims for the new year are two fold. Firstly we want to ensure that we achieve a top half finish in the Barclays Premier League this term.

Then, looking ahead to next season, we want to push things forward towards the top six. To the outside football world that might sound ambitious.

However, given the investment we anticipate in this (and the summer) transfer window, we feel it is realistic"

I'm looking forward to this years European trip aren't you? I note these are Steve Keans words in print not Venky's. I don't know why but I am not going to forget all these promises.

I am encouraged by this signing to be honest! I, like a lot of people know that he will never be a 30 goal a season striker but I feel he can be very dangerous in the Championship. Whether or not Kean can get the best out of anybody, nevermind Best is a different argument altogether!!

I did get the following text from a mate of mine who is a Newcastle fan too - "He'll score at least 20 if he stays fit, no problem, He's better than Shola, you'll see :) (A lot of fans are sad to see him go)."

I'm pretty sure he won't get 20 goals haha but I can definitely agree with the Ameobi part! Be thankful it isn't him :)

I'm also an American supporter of BRFC. And like you, I don't claim to be as passionate about the Rovers as Blackburn natives. For example, I don't get the Burnley feud.

In my personal opinion:

1. Kean has already "completely effed things up"; also known as averaging less than a point per game over 50+ games resulting in relegation.

2. Kean is a pathetic, malicious, foul human being; I will never accept him as a Rovers manager, even if he won the Champions League (note to Venkys- there is a big difference between the Champions League and the Championship).

3. Venkys won't ever be accepted so long as they elect to associate themselves with the Keans and Agnews of the world; they should grow up and learn to work with real professionals.

They already had two of the very best available anywhere in John Williams and Tom Finn, but in their stupidity and total ignorance they chose to deliberately drive them out.

Read my second sentence again. 'I still hate the owners guts'.... read that bit again...

All i am saying is that the fact we are bringing players in who, in my opinion, are good for the position we now find ourselves in, shows that at least the venkys are spending money on the club.

Lets not mess about, if you were given the choice between signing Leon Best or David Goodwillie, you'd pick Best, coz Goodwillie is absolute ######, and Best has promise and has shown he can score (i admit his record isnt fantastic, but an average record in the english leagues equates to a fantastic record in the scottish leagues).

Ok, Yakubu was a great signing, but i'm not sure there were too many people who believed he was going to do as well as he did when he joined, so give Best a chance.

I still hate the venkys, i still want them out of the club along with Kean, Agnew, Anderson etc, but open your eyes, no matter what we do or say, they aint going anywhere, so either you can cry your eyes out for the next however many years, or you can look for some positives, and for me, Best and Murphy are both positives.

Did Goodwillie ever get the chance to play up the top end of the pitch in a league match, it was infuriating to see him and Modeste utilised out wide last season. Leon Best could and should be an asset for Rovers next season, if Kean converts him to a Left Back its useless. I remember attending the Sheffield Wednesday match last season and thinking Goodwillie could be a decent forward, we never really saw him given a chance. Its very hard to find positives of building a team to cover over the managers substantial failings.

I think Goodwillie will do well in the Championship. Can see him being a decent player for us this season.

Said it before, if played in the right way Rochina could also do very well. Think how Warnock utilised Taraabt for their promotion season.

• Backroom

ok eb, we will close our eyes and pretend that everything is hunky dory and forget what has happened over the past 2 years, is that ok by you?

And is it ok by you if people do what they feel is best or would you rather we all take a leaf out of your book and keep attacking anyone who dares have a differing opinion?

It's getting tiresome

Really happy with this signing. Best and Goodwillie and Rochina just behind the two makes for a solid and pacy attacking combo. The team's structure will need a bit of changing. We can no longer play with one striker up front. I would probably line up in a 4-3-1-2 formation

Bunn

Orr/Dann/Hanley/Henley

Vukcevic/Murphy/Pedersen

Rochina

Best/Goodwillie

I am really liking the look of how our team is shaping up. Even with the departures, we should have a squad good enough for the championship. If Venkys can somehow get a LB and CB, ill be happy with the current transfer window.

Did Goodwillie ever get the chance to play up the top end of the pitch in a league match, it was infuriating to see him and Modeste utilised out wide last season. Leon Best could and should be an asset for Rovers next season, if Kean converts him to a Left Back its useless. I remember attending the Sheffield Wednesday match last season and thinking Goodwillie could be a decent forward, we never really saw him given a chance. Its very hard to find positives of building a team to cover over the managers substantial failings.

His natural position is beside another striker and I think he was only played there a few times. I believe, but I could be wrong, it was only in the Carling Cup against Sheff Wed, Leyton Orient and Newcastle. He's the same as Kalinic in that he only works well next to another striker and can't hold the ball up. I think he will be good in the C'ship if he sorts his fitness out, But there is obviously an issue with that at the club due to the players getting tired and there were a few players who were overweight.

Read my second sentence again. 'I still hate the owners guts'.... read that bit again...

All i am saying is that the fact we are bringing players in who, in my opinion, are good for the position we now find ourselves in, shows that at least the venkys are spending money on the club.

Lets not mess about, if you were given the choice between signing Leon Best or David Goodwillie, you'd pick Best, coz Goodwillie is absolute ######, and Best has promise and has shown he can score (i admit his record isnt fantastic, but an average record in the english leagues equates to a fantastic record in the scottish leagues).

Ok, Yakubu was a great signing, but i'm not sure there were too many people who believed he was going to do as well as he did when he joined, so give Best a chance.

I still hate the venkys, i still want them out of the club along with Kean, Agnew, Anderson etc, but open your eyes, no matter what we do or say, they aint going anywhere, so either you can cry your eyes out for the next however many years, or you can look for some positives, and for me, Best and Murphy are both positives.

Open my eyes you say in the same sentence as "look for positives". What does looking for positives mean? Either something's positive or it aint, making an effort to describe things as positive is keeping your eyes as tightly shut as you can. We've signed a 35 year old on big wages and a 2 year contract, and we've signed a striker with 19 goals in 105 games in his last spell in the championship. And in exchange for that we've lost a striker who scored 1 in 3 throughout his career in the premiership and a 22 year old midfielder who I won't understand till the day I die how he didn't win young player of the year in the premiership last season.

Is that a good trade? Are things looking up? Not to me, I'll have to open my eyes more :blink:

Whilst looking at the positives let's not lose sight of the fact that the ultimate aim is to rid ourselves of that piece of excrement by the name of Kean and from there press on back into the Premier League.

not claiming i'm as passionate as you lot that live and bleed blackburn down there...just a simple fan in the US of A but....unfortunately the Kean thing isn't going to sort itself out no matter what anyone says until he goes out and either completely effs things up (which is quite possible and even probable) or the turns things around and they win

let me ask you guys this as an outsider...i think i know the answer to this at the moment.....but if kean is able to get some more decent signings and brings the team back to the premiership would you still hate the guy and venkys?

obviously venkys had an abysmal start (and thats putting it mildy by reading the venom on this site at them) but let's say they continue to make decent signings and turn things around..what then?

long way to go i know but i guess i'm hoping for the best (no pun intended)

Are you he'll bent on winding everyone up? Personally I will HATE the idiot until my dying day and yes I do mean hate. I don't give a crap if he won the CL and signed MESSI the tosspot is poison .. End of .

And keeping on topic my mate in toon land reckons we've been mugged with best.

.. End of .

And keeping on topic my mate in toon land reckons we've been mugged with best.

You don't any mates ... End of. ;)

let me ask you guys this as an outsider...i think i know the answer to this at the moment.....but if kean is able to get some more decent signings and brings the team back to the premiership would you still hate the guy and venkys?

Completely irrelevant. We won't be going back to the premiership under this ****, it's as simple as that, more signings or not.

As for Best, the jury is out but for the Championship it has to go down as an 'OK' signing. I'm hardly going to be frothing at the mouth in anticipation, but neither am I devastated at us bringing him in.

Honestly Anindianfan we could win every single match we play this year and next, winning every league/cup we enter and I would still want the ass monkey sacked as soon as possible.Its gone too far now and is far beyond his ability (or lack there of)as a manager.Every thing he does is a slap in the face of every rovers fan. In my opinion not only should he be sacked but he should recieve a life time ban from Ewood and all rovers facilities. Everyone is entitled top their opinion but its beyond me to understand how anyone could ever except the fool.

Archived