BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leon Best

Mercer, you were wrong. It's really not that painful to admit it.

Since when were players attracted by a clubs history. I suggest every player we've signed in recent years has joined due to the cash. It's a fact of life. it's not a new thing under Venkys. Look at the contract that Gamst is on, he's on more than Murphy and Best if rumours are to be believed.

We're finally getting in some players of a decent standards. And I'm pretty damn chuffed about that. It doesnt mean all is right at the club but at least it gives us a chance to compete next season.

OK, Ricky, I was wrong, I didn't expect Best to sign for Rovers and neither did a couple of my friends who are Newcastle fans and live up there.

However, neither did I expect Rovers to be pushed to a level that, IMO, for a player of Best's standard is just crazy.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Ricky, I was wrong, I didn't expect Best to sign for Rovers and neither did a couple of my friends who are Newcastle fans and live up there.

However, neither did I expect Rovers to be pushed to a level that, IMO, for a player of Best's standard is just crazy.

There really is no other options am afraid we pay prem wages for prem players or we set our sights lower we have lost yak, hoillet, nelsen samba, jones, salgado grella, andrews and prob robinson so the wage bill has been slashed. If you would not advocate paying prem wages to get prem players what would you suggest.

No dig for once just explain what your plan would be.

• Backroom

My preference is to have footballers at the club who are attracted and motivated by its history, tradition, structure, atmosphere and management.

That would be nice but probably limit our scouting grounds to Pleasy on a Sunday morning

Is N'Zonzi headed out? If so, that is bad news.

Resigning Hoillett is a no brainer, if they can get him. He's worth 50k/week and a huge signing bonus.

And if any Venkys reps read this board, Allardyce did well to get Hoilett to sign the two year deal. Kean dropped the ball by not tying him down in January, 2011 when he was handing out contracts like candy. Other than Jones, Hoilett was our crown jewel at the time which is ready to walk out the door for peanuts. Pay him the outrageous signing bonus (he holds the cards), sign him, give him a decent release clause so he doesn't feel trapped, and recoup some of our investment while solving one of our winger woes.

Better, double the effectiveness of the squad by sacking Kean and getting a decent manager in.

I actually think we're pretty well off in the striker department, with a total of 4 if Best signs.

What we need is to shore up our defense which leaked goals last season. I'd be looking for a right back, two center backs (if Givet goes) and two left backs (if Olsen goes), though if Givet and Olsen stay we only need one of each.

And who will be serving as our speedy left and right wings if Olsen and Hoilet go? There is still a lot of gaps that need to be filled and striker is no longer our most desperately short position.

I think Slew, Blackman, Goodwillie and Best would be a decent Championship strike force.

I was just being presumptuous about Nzonzi. I can't see him or Olsson staying at all. If a top half club doesn't come in for him then a bottom half club will and they will just go there or abroad even.

I can't see Hoilett staying either but if some strange reason he is considering it then we should go all out to offer him whatever he wants.....within reason of course. He can have the Jones-style release clause of 15 million plus that I imagine would just be activated in January but that would be fine.

Slew we will have to wait and see with, I can't see him being too effective but you never know, I think he will be ok and he is young and nobody likes playing against pace.....Blackman I have my reservations about......in fairness I haven't seen too much of him but I've read he wasn't all that in the reserve league either........he's good at table-tennis though according to Samba.

I think we need a centre back even if Givet stays and we have needed a left back since Warnock left.......I've never liked Shorey but by all accounts he was good in the C'ship so would quite like him now.

That would be nice but probably limit our scouting grounds to Pleasy on a Sunday morning

And the attraction would prob last until they got a big offer from somewhere else at the end of the day football's a business. Have to wonder how many players from our recent past have been attracted by the history and tradition of the club Dunny is about it.

The point that I am trying to make is that I do not want players at Rovers who are enticed there purely by money.

Yes, you have to be competitive but there is competitive and plain crazy.

IMO, we are more in the 'plain crazy' field as everything else, including our manager, is stacked against us.

Let's face it, at a certain level in footballers' wages these days, a few grand a week might not be key especially where you have a club with respected manager in charge with a track record for developing and improving players and a club that can be seen to be heading in the right direction.

Beanie asked what would my plan be, well for a start, I would try to get the club's management structure back to where it was 20 months ago and by that, I mean employing personnel of the same calibre of JW, TF & SA and not the likes of Shaw, Agnew, Shebby, Kean etc.

To me, we are merely applying enormously expensive sticking plaster when in reality, we all know that major surgery is required.

I really fear for where we are heading as what we are doing is not sustainable even if we get back to the PL in one season. If Murphy & Best are worth approaching £100k pw (or £5million pa which is almost certainly substantially more than Rovers will take in season tickets / gate money this season) what on earth will we need to pay for 'real quality' to keep us in the PL should we get there. Does anyone think that 'real quality' will come for less than Murphy & Best get, not a chance, they will want even more.

Absolutely frightening is this.

The point that I am trying to make is that I do not want players at Rovers who are enticed there purely by money.

IMO, we are more in the 'plain crazy' field as everything else, including our manager, is stacked against us.

Let's face it, at a certain level in footballers' wages these days, a few grand a week might not be key especially where you have a club with respected manager in charge with a track record for developing and improving players and a club that can be seen to be heading in the right direction.

Beanie asked what would my plan be, well for a start, I would try to get the club's management structure back to where it was 20 months ago and by that, I mean employing personnel of the same calibre of JW, TF & SA and not the likes of Shaw, Agnew, Shebby, Kean etc.

To me, we are merely applying enormously expensive sticking plaster when in reality, we all know that major surgery is required.

I really fear for where we are heading as what we are doing is not sustainable even if we get back to the PL in one season. If Murphy & Best are worth approaching £100k pw what on earth will we need to pay for 'real quality' to keep us in the PL should we get there. Does anyone think that 'real quality' will come for less than Murphy & Best get, not a chance, they will want even more.

The changes in management you talk of are just not going to happen so what type of player would you go for is my question? Where are the cheap players who are going to get us out of the championship?

• Backroom

I really fear for where we are heading as what we are doing is not sustainable even if we get back to the PL in one season. If Murphy & Best are worth approaching £100k pw (or £5million pa which is almost certainly substantially more than Rovers will take in season tickets / gate money this season) what on earth will we need to pay for 'real quality' to keep us in the PL should we get there. Does anyone think that 'real quality' will come for less than Murphy & Best get, not a chance, they will want even more.

It certainly is looking like all or nothing next season. Scary but at the same time I feared a penny wouldn't be spent and we'd be left to rot now but it looks like they want one last shot to board the gravy train (never understood that saying) before doing that

I don't mind players being motivated by cash but would prefer if they say it, more along the lines of BAE at spurs who admits he's in it for the cash rather than Lucas Neil and his volcano of enthusiasm when he signed for West Ham

roversfan99, heard it from a friend of mine who works in the football industry. Other clubs now being told he has signed for rovers so no point bidding for him.

That's good news, heard about any other players we might sign ?

Deal is at same stage as it was yesterday. Personal terms agreed, Best yet to sign the contract. Simple choice for him sign for Rovers or stay in PL on a wage which won't be at level Rovers have offered him.

It's looking good on him saying yes to Rovers but until he signs contract urge caution.

His goal record has hardly set the world on fire, and he'll earn 30/40 grand a week? plus we'll pay Newcastle £2/3 million yet we let an 18 goal Premier striker leave for £1 Million, we are being run by geniuses.

Yakubu´s deal included a clause and he was off once we relegated. When he signed we had lost all three matches. Sounds like he wouldn´t have signed without the relegation clause. As for Best´s price tag, strikers do cost serious money. Just hope the deal will be done.

Yakubu´s deal included a clause and he was off once we relegated. When he signed we had lost all three matches. Sounds like he wouldn´t have signed without the relegation clause. As for Best´s price tag, strikers do cost serious money. Just hope the deal will be done.

Good strikers cost serious money, Best is nowhere near that standard, and I can understand a relegation clause, it just should not have been so low for a proven PL goal scorer, again the Chuckle brothers and the old hag prove their flair for business

if venkys where serious they could have offered a nice big pay rise(his gurenteed goals so it would have been worth it) to stay on untill xmass at least, leon best looks a good squad player but hasnt ever shown himself to be much of a goalscorer and has had persitant injury problems. Dont get me wrong im not knocking Best i just dont think he is going to be the prolific scorer you need if you want automatic(1st,2nd place) promotion.

Actually thinking about it their was prob no way he was gonna stay considering the amount of dough he will be getting in china and who is agent is.

Archived