BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leon Best

Hoilett willing to stay - If he gets a huge wage rise, and a signing fee which is approximately 10 times that of our latest signing.

Can you give us any numbers? At least a range.

I thought Samba was our highest paid player ever on 60 grand a week.......I would have thought Santa Cruz was on somewhere like 40/45 grand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1347145/Roque-Santa-Cruz-joins-Blackburn-loan.html

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea I forgot that he played for us twice what does that tell you. In fairness it was just his lack of goalscoring when he came back that was the main issue, his all round play still impressed me.

When Wayne Bridge went on loan to Sunderland I believe they paid 20 of his 90 grand a week and I can't imagine Cardiff played too much of Bellamy's. I know that Daily Fail article says we paid most but I would still need a little more proof.

Can you give us any numbers? At least a range.

Can't go into detail, but I saw the first offer from Rovers to his agent. Then the agents reply. I assume they settled somewhere in the middle. Let's just say that both Best and Murphy are on more or less the same basic weekly wage.

Edit: they will be if all goes to plan and Best signs. :glare:

Can't go into detail, but I saw the first offer from Rovers to his agent. Then the agents reply. I assume they settled somewhere in the middle. Let's just say that both Best and Murphy are on more or less the same basic weekly wage.

Edit: they will be if all goes to plan and Best signs. :glare:

I was referring to the fee being demanded by junior. BTW, how confident are you, of best signing?

Oh yea I forgot that he played for us twice what does that tell you. In fairness it was just his lack of goalscoring when he came back that was the main issue, his all round play still impressed me.

When Wayne Bridge went on loan to Sunderland I believe they paid 20 of his 90 grand a week and I can't imagine Cardiff played too much of Bellamy's. I know that Daily Fail article says we paid most but I would still need a little more proof.

Proof from where? I remember reading it on every other forum. The general feeling was if venkys can pay huge wages for RSC and JJ, why not use money to sack kean.

I was referring to the fee being demanded by junior. BTW, how confident are you, of best signing?

The fee demanded by Junior is hearsay - I've not seen it in writing, so I wouldn't like to go into detail.

The ball is in Best's court. His agent and Rovers have done everything they can do to get him to Ewood. Now we just have to hope he signs before other clubs close in with better offers.

If Best signs we'll have come off to a good start to the window - despite the fantastic Yak departing. It shows intent and might help convince other potential signings further down the window.

I think we'll need one more striker though.

If Best signs we'll have come off to a good start to the window - despite the fantastic Yak departing. It shows intent and might help convince other potential signings further down the window.

I agree with Both points.

We need a target man type striker.

The fee demanded by Junior is hearsay - I've not seen it in writing, so I wouldn't like to go into detail.

The ball is in Best's court. His agent and Rovers have done everything they can do to get him to Ewood. Now we just have to hope he signs before other clubs close in with better offers.

And whats the thinking MG on who might be leaving us? There will have to be plenty going or our wage bill will be stratospheric for a championship club.Where have we suddenly got our mits on so much budget???

I agree with Both points.

We need a target man type striker.

Who do we think? Wasn't Marlon King pretty good for Birmingham last year? What's their financial situation like atm, not very good I don't think? Might they be tempted to sell?

Who else? Heskey? Lukaku on loan? In all serious, Anichebe? Ameobi even? Helguson from QPR? Carlton Cole? They all might not want to drop down a division. But if their teams buy new strikers, they are told they won't be getting a game, and no premier league team comes in for them then you never know.

Northern Rover@Northern_Rover

Deal with Best's advisors done, around 35k a week plus performance related bonuses. Now upto Best if he wants to move to Rovers.

IMO, this is complete and utter madness as I flagged earlier in the week.

With Muprphys' package, that's around £5million pa.

When you think of the players we have lost, what we are getting, where we are and whose in charge, it's enough to make a grown man cry.

Northern Rover@Northern_Rover

Deal with Best's advisors done, around 35k a week plus performance related bonuses. Now upto Best if he wants to move to Rovers.

IMO, this is complete and utter madness as I flagged earlier in the week.

With Muprphys' package, that's around £5million pa.

When you think of the players we have lost, what we are getting, where we are and whose in charge, it's enough to make a grown man cry.

It is a risky strategy, but you have to factor in that the wage bill was drastically reduced over the last 6 months with many big earners leaving, and with Salgado & Junior set to leave on 1st July, so there is a lot of room in the wage budget to pay a couple of players big money, in addition factor in the parachute payments and money from the India Bank Loan then it makes this kinda spending feasible.

We are in the Championship, these are the type of players that we will be able to attract, West Ham adopted the same strategy last season.

The problem however is that with Kean incharge we won't go up, and that is why this strategy is risky, will they continue to finance this the season after if we don't go up?

Wonder if Murphy and Best will have appearance, goal bonuses etc. I guess we'll find out in August when they're benched for Petrovic and Slew.

Well Slew would probably being good in the championship as would Petrovic who I think will be really good in the championship if we keep him. I knew fellow serb countryman Milijas was very good when Wolves where in the championship....

Best will be hugely overpaid if the numbers are correct. That´s the only way attract PL standard player to lower level. He would get a deal elsewhere but not the wages. Best is a good enough to smash goals in the championship and I think this is sensible spending.

I doubt Slew will be good enough even to the championship. Petrovic could do well this level, atleast Serbian international should do well. Bringing in new midfielders won´t take away his chances. There are 8 league matches more than last season.

Hoilett willing to stay - If he gets a huge wage rise, and a signing fee which is approximately 10 times that of our latest signing.

How much is he worth to us if we have him under contract as compared to what we'll get if he walks out and signs for a German team? Under contract he's worth many millions. If he goes to a German team we'll get less than a million. If he goes to a PL team, we'l be lucky to get a couple of million. All told, I suspect the cost-benefit analysis means Venkys should swallow their pride and sign Hoilett.

If venkys where really serious they would pay him what he wants(im guessing 50kish), even if he only stays for another season or 2 at least if they get him on a long contract they can get a very good fee for him(and get all there money back!) when he does leave.

Exactly.

Tell your bosses that the video of Steve Kean talking about Allardyce is probable grounds for sacking for bringing the club into disrepute and they will not have to pay him off. Then tell them to sell Martin Olsson, Scott Dann and Nzonzi for minimum 5 million each and use the money for a new manager and Hoilett's new contract. Use the parachute money as well and then they can sell us next year when we are a premier league club again. Also tell them if they are planning on keeping Kean, then they will get even less money for us in League 1.

Is N'Zonzi headed out? If so, that is bad news.

Resigning Hoillett is a no brainer, if they can get him. He's worth 50k/week and a huge signing bonus.

And if any Venkys reps read this board, Allardyce did well to get Hoilett to sign the two year deal. Kean dropped the ball by not tying him down in January, 2011 when he was handing out contracts like candy. Other than Jones, Hoilett was our crown jewel at the time which is ready to walk out the door for peanuts. Pay him the outrageous signing bonus (he holds the cards), sign him, give him a decent release clause so he doesn't feel trapped, and recoup some of our investment while solving one of our winger woes.

Better, double the effectiveness of the squad by sacking Kean and getting a decent manager in.

I actually think we're pretty well off in the striker department, with a total of 4 if Best signs.

What we need is to shore up our defense which leaked goals last season. I'd be looking for a right back, two center backs (if Givet goes) and two left backs (if Olsen goes), though if Givet and Olsen stay we only need one of each.

And who will be serving as our speedy left and right wings if Olsen and Hoilet go? There is still a lot of gaps that need to be filled and striker is no longer our most desperately short position.

The problem however is that with Kean incharge we won't go up, and that is why this strategy is risky, will they continue to finance this the season after if we don't go up?

Exactly. Why can't the owners see that Kean is the weak link? A competent manager would have kept us up last season.

Best will be hugely overpaid if the numbers are correct. That´s the only way attract PL standard player to lower level. He would get a deal elsewhere but not the wages. Best is a good enough to smash goals in the championship and I think this is sensible spending.

I doubt Slew will be good enough even to the championship. Petrovic could do well this level, at least Serbian international should do well. Bringing in new midfielders won´t take away his chances. There are 8 league matches more than last season.

I think Slew, Blackman, Goodwillie and Best would be a decent Championship strike force.

Alot is being made of the wages of best and I Apprechiate that he is a high earner for the championship but the likes of Roberts were on 37k a week last season. We have massively reduced the wage bill with Salgado 50k yak 40k Robo 35k eyc. Best is still young and had potential . It's a risk for sure but you have to pay big money if u want to challenge at the top. West ham paid Nolan 50k a week last season so they also went for it big. I'd rather us show some ambition and sign these type of player than give up and try and find bargains who arnt good enough

Another big issue i have with danny murphy and leon best completely regardles of their ability is that they are have both worked for kean in the past(like most if not all keans domestic signings!), So to choose to work with him again would suggest to me they are on very good terms with him which would just strenghen keans hold on the club even more having key players on his side(which is largely i assume why Steve'Mr.Self Preservation'Kean has targeted them.

West ham paid Nolan 50k a week last season so they also went for it big. I'd rather us show some ambition and sign these type of player than give up and try and find bargains who arnt good enough

Nolan is one of the most experianced and established midfielders in the country and has scored&created loads and been a leader at every club he has played at especially in the championship(and is only around 30 i think).

Heckla, id advise you to put me on ignore(its very easy to do now) if you constantly feel the need to pick at my posts(especially when out of context).

kevin nolan is 29-30 years old(quite a big differance in footballing terms) and is more of a goal scoring midfielder than a passing midfielder, but anyhow as i said at the start of the post i wasnt critising murphys ability just his personal connection to kean.

It's not madness Mercer, he's not signing, remember??

I would suggest that he wasn't going to, neither was Murphy, until Rovers offered dosh which was just too good to turn down for them.

When two players seemingly turn down PL offers to sign for, IMO, a club in turmoil and managed by a clown, what does that tell you ?

You, Hughesy and others can scoff all you want, but, IMO, those are the facts.

My preference is to have footballers at the club who are attracted and motivated by its history, tradition, structure, atmosphere and management.

IMO, we are having to pay crazy wages in order to overcome all the things that are wrong with the club.

It's sh1t or bust next season. Unfortunately, it doesn't end there, as what Murphy & Best are being paid will almost inevitably become the norm should the Rovers achieve the unexpected and bounce back first time.

IMO, it isn't a thought out strategy, it isn't even a strategy, it's desperation and just smacks of economic mismangement for which we will all have a heavy price to pay for at some point in the not too distant future.

Mercer, you were wrong. It's really not that painful to admit it.

Since when were players attracted by a clubs history. I suggest every player we've signed in recent years has joined due to the cash. It's a fact of life. it's not a new thing under Venkys. Look at the contract that Gamst is on, he's on more than Murphy and Best if rumours are to be believed.

We're finally getting in some players of a decent standards. And I'm pretty damn chuffed about that. It doesnt mean all is right at the club but at least it gives us a chance to compete next season.

Archived