BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

Why is everyone so eager on Mick McCarthy? Have you forgotten what happened to him last year? He did so badly at Wolverhampton Wanderers that fans were calling for his head halfway through the season (and mind you, they were already bottom before Trevor took over), and if I recall other than beating us in the first game of the season they mostly remained below us, rooted to the bottom. Not to mention he was also fighting us to escape relegation two seasons ago and got beaten 3-2 in our last game of that season. bish1982 said that he kept Wolverhampton up for a season, but that was more down to luck than anything else. If Birmingham City hadn't been held to a draw, it would have been Wolves who went down instead, since they lost to us. Getting promotion just to get embroiled in another relegation battle immediately? No improvement from Steve Kean. And a few years back, he was responsible for Sunderland's worst ever finish in the Premiership - 18 points in the entire season, dead last and relegated. Even He Who Must Not Be Named (though I just named him earlier) had gotten more than 30 points.

Are you sure you want someone like that? Sure he's got a proven record of taking teams up, but he also has an equally proven record of sending them back down almost immediately. That's just my opinion though, but just a word of caution before everyone blindly throws themselves into the McCarthy bandwagon.

Funnily enough, despite harping on McCarthy's record of taking teams up and overlooking his record of sending them down just as quickly, the same people criticize Garry Flitcroft as being trouble despite him having a record of taking Chorley up in his first attempt. Now I'm not suggesting we get Flitcroft, but I think that's a little weird that you're willing to overlook McCarthy's flaws for his positives (damn you Kean for that word) but at the same time overlooking Flitcroft's positives and maybe even Sherwood's positives for their lack of experience.

Saying it was down to luck is a bit ridiculous imo.....it's a 38 game season....Wolves had us and B'Ham had Spurs away, meaning Wolves had already played that fixture.....and won 1-0 if I remember correctly.....imo Wolves' squad was worse than ours, Boltons, QPR's and Wigan's and not many would have kept them up.....I doubt Ferguson or Mourinho could have kept up that Sunderland side which he had taken over during the season.

And please don't compare Flitcroft to McCarthy....one has tremendous C'ship experience, maybe more so than any other potential candidate...one has no football league experience whatsoever.....nobody's "blindly throwing themselves into the McCarthy bandwagon", just recognising employing someone who has been there and done it might be the right thing to do.....you would think if he got us to the Prem and it wasn't working in then he could just leave but with our owners who knows?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of top coaches out of the game at the moment, all better than Kean who could serve as a number 2 - Wilkins, Jordan etc, For me, we do need someone around who can relate to the fans and unite the whole fanbase at the club, with all the lies and suggestions of corruption around the place, I would be looking for some kind of senior role for someone like Salgado or Henning Berg, two straight and honest professionals who we could trust to look mafter the interests of the football club and be a real role model for attracting young players to our football club.

Did I read on here that Joe Jordan is just waiting for Redknapp's next appointment? If not him or Wilkins would be perfect. Salgado as defensive coach regardless of what happens.....his excellent punditry skills show he is seriously clued up on football, same could be said for Souness and others when they are on tv......the opposite can be said for Shearer.

The new manager should be English or atleast someone who knows what it takes to promote to the Premier League. Can´t believe names like Benitez or Klinsmann mentioned here. They couldn´t do this level and with the players in this level.

Not sure about the English thing. Brighton are top of the league with Poyet at the helm.

I think he's emphasising the 2nd point more.....like when Sven was at Leicester but it didn't work as he didn't know enough about the league and was a bit naive in his tactics according to their fans......I'm not to keen on Klinsmann but would be happy with Rafa.....don't see him coming though.

I just want the best candidate appointed given our resources and availability of managers - there seems to be thinking that an ex player appointed will 'bring back the fans'.

Agree 100%.....I think the best way to bring back the fans would be to appoint someone experienced.....you would think the Ince and Kean debacles (regardless of Hughes) would be enough for our owners and fans to be extremely wary.

If we want to go down the ex-rovers as a manager, Then Simon Grayson should be considered. Who also knows how to get the best out of Jordon Rhodes.

Would like Grayson.....would he go to a "smaller club"......their fans would be so wound up as well it would be hilarious, but his ability and the Rhodes factor are by far the main reasons I would like him.

Sherwood just saying it is speculation nothing official yet so he is hardly turning it down.....

Yea even if talks were advanced he'd probably brush it off as well.

Benitez may be available and he is tactically decent, problem is, he wouldnt work for Venkys - or would he ?

His kids still go to school in the North West don't they......he won't go to Liverpool, City or United......I doubt Moyes is leaving any time soon......same can be said of Martinez and indeed Holloway.....I'm sure he'd rather go to us than Bolton.

Obviously, he could go somewhere relatively nearby but if he really wants to stay and work in the North West, maybe he recognises we'd be the best prospect......you never know.

Saying it was down to luck is a bit ridiculous imo.....it's a 38 game season....Wolves had us and B'Ham had Spurs away, meaning Wolves had already played that fixture.....and won 1-0 if I remember correctly.....imo Wolves' squad was worse than ours, Boltons, QPR's and Wigan's and not many would have kept them up.....I doubt Ferguson or Mourinho could have kept up that Sunderland side which he had taken over during the season.

And please don't compare Flitcroft to McCarthy....one has tremendous C'ship experience, maybe more so than any other potential candidate...one has no football league experience whatsoever.....nobody's "blindly throwing themselves into the McCarthy bandwagon", just recognising employing someone who has been there and done it might be the right thing to do.....you would think if he got us to the Prem and it wasn't working in then he could just leave but with our owners who knows?

No, Wolverhampton lost 3-2 to us if I remember correctly, unless you're talking about a different season or a different game. I'm not comparing Filtcroft to McCarthy, but I find it weird that the logic that lauds McCarthy as the ideal manager isn't applied to Filtcroft. I mean, McCarthy is being heralded as the guy to bring us back up, but people tend to forget he is also the guy likely to send us back down. On the other hand, Filtcroft brought Chorley up but unlike McCarthy people are going to overlook that for his lack of experience. Well, I guess that makes sense because Chorley is in the NPL or something. In effect, I understand that Filtcroft should not be compared with McCarthy, but the reasons people give for dismissing him seem a little double standards to me.

And we can't just get rid of McCarthy after he brings us up. Knowing Venkys they'll probably give him a new contract which will see us relegated after the first season in, or McCarthy would refuse a one-year contract because he would like more. I mean, seriously? "We're hiring you for just one season to bring us back up, and get rid of you once we're back in the Premiership." McCarthy has some sort of pride too, you know.

Well I haven't seen the alleged quote in full and there may be a bit more to it taken in it's full context. Did he actually say something along the lines of "That Mussolini - he was a brilliant bloke." Or was it more along the lines of "In many ways he was a very principled individual. (I just happen to think he was wrong)"

Nevertheless you wouldn't potentially turn down a very successful football manager because of a quote in a book or his political tendancies would you? Or are we saying all the top Clubs who employed Di Canio as a player shouldn't have done that either.?

Good grief.

He actually did a nazi salute to the Lazio fans at the end of one match. Is that what you want at Ewood?

Good grief

I think the majority of us remain sceptical simply because the owners won't spend any real money, they always take the cheap option, so I can see Black being given the managers role which is better than that idiot Singh!

Runners and riders

All below have pluses and minuses; often depends on who the number 2 is; depends greatly on whether they have to go to Pune, have money to spend and have control over team affairs

Some of these would obviously work as pairs (eg Redknapp with Hill or Robinson)

Better options for manager/ interesting possibilities

Hill (step up?)

Curbishley

Mcarthy

Redknapp (won’t be interested but would inspire?)

Sherwood (inexperienced?)

Poyet

Robinson

Holloway (leave Blackpool?)

Benitez (no chance)

Solskjaer (not daft enough to come here?)

Berg

Salgado (in some capacity)

Hoddle (if he has jettisoned his baggage re Eileen and dealing with lesser players –again with a good number2 –Wilkins?)

Bernd Schuster

Gary Neville

Poorer options for manager or definitely not

Black

Hendry

Murphy

Shearer

Flitcroft

Jansen

Klinsman

Bruce

Roy Keane

Short

Newell

Sutton

Mcleish

Dalglish (time has gone?)

Souness (time has gone?)

Di canio (lots of +ves but serious political baggage)

Glen Roeder,

Steve Mcclaren

Gary Megson

Ian Dowie

Stuart Pearce

Move King Kenny to the good pile and you've pretty much equalled my thoughts, not in that order mind.

Benitez HAS to be called!!!

He actually did a nazi salute to the Lazio fans at the end of one match. Is that what you want at Ewood?

Good grief

He was actually being sarcastic because they were calling him Fascist and taunting him throughout the whole game. Either that or I've gotten the wrong guy.

I don't think Black would be much cheaper than Mccarthy to be fair.

Henning Berg has stated earlier this year that he wouldn't be a manager for rovers under the venkys. Personally, I don't think he is good enough. He hasn't done all too well as a manager.

Ole Gunnar Solskjær just signed a 3-year deal with Molde, after turning down the offer from Aston Villa... Besides, Henning Berg would probably tell him what's going on at Ewood.

My dream appointment would be Kenny Dalglish.

He was actually being sarcastic because they were calling him Fascist and taunting him throughout the whole game. Either that or I've gotten the wrong guy.

Di Canio is a self-confessed fascist. He has given the fascist salute on more than one occasion and has been disciplined for it by the Italian football authorities. The fascists in the Lazio crowd were not being 'sarcastic' but were hailing one of their comrades.

Definitely not Henning Berg. Not good enough in Norway, nowhere near good enough for England.

I really don't think being an Ex-Rover should be taken into consideration. It won't have any impact on their ability to do the job well.

It would be a lovely coincidence if the best man also happened to have a connection with us (like Hughes did), but otherwise it's something we should try and ignore.

I think the majority of us remain sceptical simply because the owners won't spend any real money, they always take the cheap option, so I can see Black being given the managers role which is better than that idiot Singh!

It would not surprise me to see Black remain in charge by default.

Two things would both need to happen before Venkys could bring in a manager :

1. They would need to agree on who they want as manager; and

2. They would need to persuade the manager of their choice to work for them.

Could take a long time !

Move King Kenny to the good pile and you've pretty much equalled my thoughts, not in that order mind.

I'd also move King Kenny and Di Canio to the good options and Hill to the poorer options otherwise I think it's a tremendous summary.

I think aletheia has saved Shebby a considerable amount of time drawing up a short(ish) list!.

Well I haven't seen the alleged quote in full and there may be a bit more to it taken in it's full context. Did he actually say something along the lines of "That Mussolini - he was a brilliant bloke." Or was it more along the lines of "In many ways he was a very principled individual. (I just happen to think he was wrong)"

Nevertheless you wouldn't potentially turn down a very successful football manager because of a quote in a book or his political tendancies would you? Or are we saying all the top Clubs who employed Di Canio as a player shouldn't have done that either.?

Good grief.

Di canio - "I'm a fascist" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1506262/Im-a-fascist-not-a-racist-says-Paolo-di-Canio.html

No, Wolverhampton lost 3-2 to us if I remember correctly, unless you're talking about a different season or a different game. I'm not comparing Filtcroft to McCarthy, but I find it weird that the logic that lauds McCarthy as the ideal manager isn't applied to Filtcroft. I mean, McCarthy is being heralded as the guy to bring us back up, but people tend to forget he is also the guy likely to send us back down. On the other hand, Filtcroft brought Chorley up but unlike McCarthy people are going to overlook that for his lack of experience. Well, I guess that makes sense because Chorley is in the NPL or something. In effect, I understand that Filtcroft should not be compared with McCarthy, but the reasons people give for dismissing him seem a little double standards to me.

And we can't just get rid of McCarthy after he brings us up. Knowing Venkys they'll probably give him a new contract which will see us relegated after the first season in, or McCarthy would refuse a one-year contract because he would like more. I mean, seriously? "We're hiring you for just one season to bring us back up, and get rid of you once we're back in the Premiership." McCarthy has some sort of pride too, you know.

I meant Birmingham played Spurs away and Wolves played us....therefore Wolves had already played Spurs away (which I believe they won 1-0)......luck doesn't come in to it over a 38 game season.....you can't just say "yea but if this had happened"......you deserve to finish where you have done.

Getting promoted in non-league football isn't relevant in my eyes.....that's why people are dismissing Flitcroft......but people are warming to the idea of McCarthy imo because some of the other candidates include Flitcroft and Shearer......Curbishley is a lot of people's first choice and rightly so.....maybe Holloway and Redknapp as well but they are more unrealistic.

One group includes the inexperienced ones like Sherwood and co......not for me and many others, experience is vital.

Then you have a group who have got teams promoted before but might not keep us there.....people like McCarthy and McLeish....not my first choices but much better than the first group.

Another group is people like Poyet and Di Canio...up-and-coming managers, relatively inexperienced but with a good track record.....I would love Poyet but I don't think he'd come.....and Di Canio is too much of a nutter, even though I loved him as a player.....T4E's post is why I don't want Di Canio, not his political beliefs that I seriously don't agree with but it's football not politics.

Another group though is "lower-league" managers if you will.....the likes of Keith Hill and Derek McInnes at Bristol City....I would happily take one of them as well.

Maybe there is another group consisting of international managers like Benitez, Klinsmann and whoever else....not sure about them, Benitez would be good.....they would have good contacts and probably bring a very accomplished backroom staff with them.

Let's just hope Hughes is sacked on Monday/Tuesday after getting spanked at home to West Ham on Monday night.

Rhodes for 8 million wasn't exactly the cheapest option.....they're spending money now so they can get the added tv money next year.....wouldn't surprise me if they broke the bank again as it's potentially a very smart investment.....but who knows what they'll do.

I would not be against Shearer and Newell taking over. Always thought Newell was a good manager. Shearer would be a good figurehead in terms of commanding respect from players and fans. A name like shearer would also increase the profile of rovers which would obviously help with sponsorship deals and commercial opportunities.

The area Shearer struggles is his tactical nous but someone like Newell could offset that as he does have tactical nous.

It seems as though shearer DOES want the job this time.

Given their track record, what makes us think Venky's are capable of making a decent/sensible appointment??

Some of the suggestions, apart from those with no managerial experience, are fantasy - a lot of stable Premier League clubs wouldn't be able to attract some of names being put forward.

McCarthy's odds of being the next manager slashed from 12/1 to 5/1. Not sure what that means (I don't bet or gamble) but his chances of being the next manager just increased?

Lets hope not ! Along with Black and Hendry .

I would not be against Shearer and Newell taking over. Always thought Newell was a good manager. Shearer would be a good figurehead in terms of commanding respect from players and fans. A name like shearer would also increase the profile of rovers which would obviously help with sponsorship deals and commercial opportunities.

The area Shearer struggles is his tactical nous but someone like Newell could offset that as he does have tactical nous.

It seems as though shearer DOES want the job this time.

Wasnt Mark Hughes like that. He command respect from players and fans but it was his number 2 Mark Bowen who did the training sessions and had the tactical nous.

Shearer/Newell managerial partnership was been good. But also would like to see him appoint an experience first team coach like Irvine or Derek Faz along side both of them.

just listening to the podcast now. about 12 mins in.

the latest rovers manager odds

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/blackburn-specials/next-permanent-manager

Archived