BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eric Black

Stuart

At what point will Rovers fans decide that a manager is good enough? If he doesn't win the majority of his first half dozen games?

Are we going to turn into the type of deluded fans who demand instant success or kick off?

The only reason at this stage to resume protests would be if it transpires that Kean hasn't really left, if we give prospective managers the impression that they won't be given time how can we expect anyone BUT Black.

However, if Eric Black becomes manager, either by default because no-one else will come, or by design, then we must get behind him and the team.

For me it seemed that Black has identified that we are conceding too many goals and has attempted to address this. His plan yesterday appeared to be to keep another clean sheet and build from there - maybe nick a goal. It didn't work but who's to say that the next manager coming in wont attempt to do the same?

Despite two years of misery some people are now acting like spoilt brats and seem to want a knight in shining armour to ride in and to automatically return us to the PL. It isn't that simple and at the very least it requires all Rovers fans to be pulling in the same direction.

You're right. Beggars can't be choosers and we need to get behind whoever comes in. However, giving the job to Black signals lack of imagination, lack of ambition and lack of care for the club and you couldn't blame those who have found that there are other things to do on saturday than watch football if they continued to stay away. I wouldn't boo him or call for his head straight away but I do feel there must be better if the owners are prepared to go for it.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. Beggars can't be choosers and we need to get behind whoever comes in. However, giving the job to Black signals lack of imagination, lack of ambition and lack of care for the club and you couldn't blame those who have found that there are other things to do on saturday than watch football if they continued to stay away. I wouldn't boo him or call for his head straight away but I do feel there must be better if the owners are prepared to go for it.

I don't want Black either and I agree about the message it could send.

However, looking at the bigger picture, post-Kean we fans need to unite behind the team.

At what point will Rovers fans decide that a manager is good enough? If he doesn't win the majority of his first half dozen games?

Are we going to turn into the type of deluded fans who demand instant success or kick off?

The only reason at this stage to resume protests would be if it transpires that Kean hasn't really left, if we give prospective managers the impression that they won't be given time how can we expect anyone BUT Black.

However, if Eric Black becomes manager, either by default because no-one else will come, or by design, then we must get behind him and the team.

For me it seemed that Black has identified that we are conceding too many goals and has attempted to address this. His plan yesterday appeared to be to keep another clean sheet and build from there - maybe nick a goal. It didn't work but who's to say that the next manager coming in wont attempt to do the same?

Despite two years of misery some people are now acting like spoilt brats and seem to want a knight in shining armour to ride in and to automatically return us to the PL. It isn't that simple and at the very least it requires all Rovers fans to be pulling in the same direction.

You may see it like that Stuart many other fans want someone to believe in and not be taken for mugs. Speak to many Rovers fans and they have said they wont be supporting Black or Hendry as they are seen as being part of the Kean era, a clean sweep is what they are looking for.

The fans want someone to believe in, if not, they wont be going to Ewood simple as that and I dont blame them.

• Backroom

Black's comments are still bizarre though. We looked more likely to win with Kean's 'incorrect' system than the system Black is using. I agree that defensively we've been poor but switching to what essentially is a 5-3-2 with a flat back five has basically nullified any attacking threat and heaped pressure on a defence too poor to cope with it. Black may see the problem but he's clueless in finding the solution.

I can see he's trying to make us hard to beat, but 352/532 hasn't worked since villa back in the late 90's.

When Hughes came in, he had the same tactic, but went with a 4 5 1 formation. It had 1 midfielder sitting in front of the back 4 and adding an extra man to mop things up. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective, until Hughes could get some of his own ideas and more importantly players into a new system of 4 4 2.

We have good enough players to operate in a 4 5 1.

Agree Andy, but we dont have a decent enough RW

Kazim-Richards is fit enough now, he should fill that void.

If Black wants solidity....

............. Robinson

Orr ... Dann . Givet . Olsson

............... Murphy

......... Etuhu .... Dunn

.. Kazim .............. Rochina

............... Rhodes

Or something like that anyway, not 100% sure on the personnel apart from Rhodes, Kazim-Richards, Etuhu, Givet and Olsson.

We are a mediocre championship side. Nothing more, nothing less. We have been weakened after all of the last 4 transfer windows and if we thought last season brought some rock bottom performances we have seen nothing yet.

Sad but true

Spoken to several people today who have worked with Mr Black. Forward thinking, industrious and bloody good coach are comments that have been raised more than once. Those who knew him at Birmingham can do nothing but sing his praises.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

Can't say as his time at BRFC has improved his CV..

• Backroom

Spoken to several people today who have worked with Mr Black. Forward thinking, industrious and bloody good coach are comments that have been raised more than once. Those who knew him at Birmingham can do nothing but sing his praises.

I'm sure everybody said the same about Steve Kean using the exact same phrases.

We don't need a bloody coach, we need a MANAGER.

• Moderation Lead

Sounds alarmingly similar to Coco. I couldn't care less how good he is at putting the cones out- I just want a (proper) manager.

Forward thinking? 3-5-2 hasn't been considered so since the early nineties

What about his man management skills and ability to handle players in order to get the best out of them?

Didn't Kean/Black steal the 3-5-2 idea after watching a couple of Wigan games last year?

If they did it was a poor immitation!

Wigan's was actually quite inventive since it was more of a 3-6-1/3-4-3. This meant they didn't have problems out wide since the two supporting strikers could drift to the wings if needs be, meaning the wing backs weren't isolated.

Our 3-5-2 is so rigid it's beyond belief.

Archived