BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

I'll back Berg no doubt, but, people have to be realistic here when slating other fans views about not being happy with Berg etc.

Let's be honest 99% of people when hearing Berg would be manager were not exactly overwhelmed. Did anyone on here really think to themselves "get in there, I'm really happy with this, what a coup this is for Rovers, he will take us up" - I wouldn't have thought so.

With certain names being touted and Shebby coming out with statements such as "we've had top caliber managers interested" fans are going to be disappointed, it's as simple as that and people are bound to come out with comments such as the ones published in the Norwegian media.

It's seems with the salary once again they've gone for the cheap option, therefore this is another factor which puts doubt into peoples minds.

People are so sick of the last 2 years that they want something to be cheerful about, something to give everyone a massive lift and unfortunately this appointment isn't it.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Rovers supporter from Norway, however I do follow Lillestrøm (LSK) much closer than I follow Rovers. As an LSK and Rovers supporter I have obviously followed Berg for quite some time, since before he joined Rovers as a player.

The reports that Berg did not do too well with LSK are not very insightful in my opinion. Of course the club has higher ambitoins than being in the bottom half and fighting to avoid relegation. LSK is a club with long traditions in Norway, but when Berg came in the club was in big trouble. Berg saved us from relegation by winning a fantastic home game vs Rosenborg in 2008 when he replaced the interim manager for the last two games following a sacking mid-season.

The state of the club was dramatically poor. The squad was among the oldest, highest paid in the league. Consisting of over the top players and never had beens and football invalids. The former management had been on a spending spree resulting in this miserable squad as well as being mismanaged by the previous manager. The club was running with deficits and could almost not afford to pay the daily invoices.

Berg and the new director of sports were to rebuild the squad without any finances. They did this through selling off the old ones, letting contracts expire and sign promising youth players from Norway and Africa. The team was transformed from an old and poor team to a young and promising team in the summer of 2011.

Among the fans Berg gets high credit for keeping us in the top flight despite the odds, keeping our Norwegian record continously improving, last relegation in 1966, top flight since 1975.

In the start of the 2011 season we played fantastic football and were outsiders to the title. The squad was still small and we were dependent on key star players. Berg had not been allowed to sign the players he wanted during the last pre-season. When half way through our two offensive stars were sold and the third one was injured for the season we were left with a squad of very few players. The club once again slumped down to the relegation battle. The team now consisted of teenagers and 34 year olds, because we couldnt afford any other players those years. Before 2012 new players had to be signed, or relegation would be unavoidable.

It became public then that Berg and the investor were no longer on the same page. Berg was critisised for being too negative in the media. At the end of the season the investor demanded that the board sacked Berg if he was to again invest in players. They did. Reports also say that several people in the club had fallen out with Henning.

Fans were - and still are - divided on that decision. It had been three though years and I think the relation had grown sour and that we needed a change. But most that would fire him still agree that he did a very good job given the resources and his mandate. He left the club in a much better shape economically and saved us for three years almost without any quality players.

This season, after Berg, we have signed 18 new players, 17 of them being Bosman. A lot of quality players. The team is still fighting to avoid relegation. A massive disappointment. Several fans wonder what Henning could have achieved with these resources.

His failure was to make enemies with the investor and people in the club. Football wise he did well.

I am excited to see him take on the position as manager at Rovers and hope and think he will succeed. He's definitely not a yes man.

The best of luck to Henning!

I'm a Rovers supporter from Norway, however I do follow Lillestrøm (LSK) much closer than I follow Rovers. As an LSK and Rovers supporter I have obviously followed Berg for quite some time, since before he joined Rovers as a player.

The reports that Berg did not do too well with LSK are not very insightful in my opinion. Of course the club has higher ambitoins than being in the bottom half and fighting to avoid relegation. LSK is a club with long traditions in Norway, but when Berg came in the club was in big trouble. Berg saved us from relegation by winning a fantastic home game vs Rosenborg in 2008 when he replaced the interim manager for the last two games following a sacking mid-season.

The state of the club was dramatically poor. The squad was among the oldest, highest paid in the league. Consisting of over the top players and never had beens and football invalids. The former management had been on a spending spree resulting in this miserable squad as well as being mismanaged by the previous manager. The club was running with deficits and could almost not afford to pay the daily invoices.

Berg and the new director of sports were to rebuild the squad without any finances. They did this through selling off the old ones, letting contracts expire and sign promising youth players from Norway and Africa. The team was transformed from an old and poor team to a young and promising team in the summer of 2011.

Among the fans Berg gets high credit for keeping us in the top flight despite the odds, keeping our Norwegian record continously improving, last relegation in 1966, top flight since 1975.

In the start of the 2011 season we played fantastic football and were outsiders to the title. The squad was still small and we were dependent on key star players. Berg had not been allowed to sign the players he wanted during the last pre-season. When half way through our two offensive stars were sold and the third one was injured for the season we were left with a squad of very few players. The club once again slumped down to the relegation battle. The team now consisted of teenagers and 34 year olds, because we couldnt afford any other players those years. Before 2012 new players had to be signed, or relegation would be unavoidable.

It became public then that Berg and the investor were no longer on the same page. Berg was critisised for being too negative in the media. At the end of the season the investor demanded that the board sacked Berg if he was to again invest in players. They did. Reports also say that several people in the club had fallen out with Henning.

Fans were - and still are - divided on that decision. It had been three though years and I think the relation had grown sour and that we needed a change. But most that would fire him still agree that he did a very good job given the resources and his mandate. He left the club in a much better shape economically and saved us for three years almost without any quality players.

This season, after Berg, we have signed 18 new players, 17 of them being Bosman. A lot of quality players. The team is still fighting to avoid relegation. A massive disappointment. Several fans wonder what Henning could have achieved with these resources.

His failure was to make enemies with the investor and people in the club. Football wise he did well.

I am excited to see him take on the position as manager at Rovers and hope and think he will succeed. He's definitely not a yes man.

The best of luck to Henning!

Great, informative post.

Thanks a lot.

(P.S. - Could you do a 6 word summary for Mercerman's bookie? Cheers)

The longer it goes on, the more optimistic I become....a bit underwhelmed was how I started, now I'm really looking forward to Saturday and beyond.

Same here.

Not long ago we thought Kean was going to be here forever. A few weeks later one of our most respected and decorated players is returning to lead the club. Unlike Shearer and Sherwood he's not a complete novice either.

It's not perfect but I back Henning completely. Looking forward to the next few weeks, although obviously it will take time for him to have a proper impact.

Edit: Just read LSK-Rover's post - massive thanks for taking the time to do that, enjoyed it immensely. Can we publish it on the front page?

Great, informative post.

Thanks a lot.

(P.S. - Could you do a 6 word summary for Mercerman's bookie? Cheers)

Lol !

Thanks for the thought !

Who knows, MB's, one day, might be limited to 100 words / post - bring it on !

Exiled Rover you Are quoted in Norwegian media: Horrible signing. His managerial record is rubbish.

Not good that the media is already talking about fans not being happy with Berg.

There is a pic of Berg with the title: Its a shame that we have hired him. Quote from Gibbon at roverstalk.

There Is also a positive quote from this MB from Neal.

http://www.nettavise...ticleId=3504278

Well that article is misquoting me (Gibbon on Roverstalk) for a start, as you can see from the actual post. I've actually been defending Berg's appointment all day.

What I actually said was "Messageboards suddenly seem to be full of 'fans' saying that they'll be 100% behind Berg if he's appointed, but that it's a disgrace that we've appointed such a weak candidate.

I'm not sure they understand the concept of being 100% behind something, or how inflamatory and damaging such statements can be to some of our more impressionable fans."

I've emailed them to demand a retraction of that part of the article, but as I don't speak Norwegian, don't hold your breath.

Good luck Henning. I will admit you were not my first choice but now you are here you deserve the full support of all Rovers fans. You will also need a lot of luck as you will be supported by dysfunctional owners and a dysfunctional management team who seem more concerned on self promotion and self preservation rather than managing a once proud football club.

I would like to think that your appointment was based on a professional and competent examination of the best available managerial talent. However I feel it is actually a compromise following a bitter power struggle between waring parties each determined to save their own skin, demonstrate their control and power over others and win the blessing of the matriarch. I expect we will now see another round of blood letting

One of the first things you must do is draw a line in the sand by choosing your own team and ensuring Singh knows the limitation of any attempts at inteferrence. I wish you luck.

Now is the time for all Rovers fans to support Henning and hope we can push for and achieve promotion. It is a major task. There are (according to some posters) serious defficiencies a squad which appears to be lacking fitness. Black seems to have tightened up at the back but at the expense of scoring goals.

Well the $64,000 question is will I return after not renewing my season ticket? The answer is yes. However due to existing comitments my first visit to Ewood wil not be until December but I will buy a half season ticket. Not in the Jack Walker Centre Section where I sat for 18 years but in the Blackburn End. My aim is still to get Venkys out but I feel now is the time to dip my toe back in the water.

Berg was critisised for being too negative in the media.

This is the one thing I'm a bit skeptical about. He was very grumpy and angry in a lot of interviews back in the Lillestrøm days when the results went against them. Hopefully, his days as a media pundit has taught him how to handle the media. The media is perhaps a little bit different in Norway too, since the managers are available almost all the time and training sessions are almost always open.

This is the one thing I'm a bit skeptical about. He was very grumpy and angry in a lot of interviews back in the Lillestrøm days when the results went against them. Hopefully, his days as a media pundit has taught him how to handle the media. The media is perhaps a little bit different in Norway too, since the managers are available almost all the time and training sessions are almost always open.

Well he's already a friend and a regular guest on the show of one of our main critics in this country in Alan Brazil. He never seems to come across as grumpy from what I've heard of him but then again I've never heard one of his post match interviews.

so when ogs has good players and won the title, he bought it and apparently that doesnt count, but when lillestrøm had good players and they were at the top, it does count.? I wouldnt call that a fair way of judging these guys. I would call that a pathetic and biased assesment.

Berg will get his chance to prove his worth, but trying to manufacture and boost his cv, doesnt do anyone any favours.

Two different leagues. Berg's clubs in Norway have been more broke than a £2 lady of the night. OGS club has spent more money than the GDP of Kiribati.

While Berg found raw talent for a buck next to nothing, shaped them into amazing players (by norwegian standards) and was forced to sell for huge profits... OGS buys who he wants; and that is good players, and he keeps them.

-Biased post by FatJoe

All the very best to Henning. I just hope the fans now get behind the team to try and push them on. Confidence, especially at home games, can be as good as a goal start and it doesn't take long for it to start to flow. It can't have been easy for the players over recent weeks/months especially when the boo boys get going. We have made a reasonable start without playing great football but we do have some good players who I'm sure will appreciate a bit of encouragement. Whatever we all think about the owners/SS we need now to support the team.

I hope this turns out to be a good appointment I am quietly optimistic as that article in Norway says to me he won't take any BS from Venkys or Shabby which can only be a good thing by the way Ralfinho what happened to your sure bet on Ollie lol! sorry I couldn't resist!

My mate just text me this "In the sky news report that Derek shaw introduce berg to media as 'berg won the treble with man untited', surely winning the title with you would be more appropriate thing to say."

Or captain of league cup winning side. There is a slim chance he's winding me up but if not why would you introduce him like that.

There could be a good reason for this.

Obviously every Rovers fan knows Berg's history with us. That interview will be shown to fans of all clubs, possibly in many different countries. Pointing to his treble win could just be a way of trying to give the club an image boost in the eyes of non-Rovers fans. Which to me is fair enough, we bloody well need it!

I was a little underwhelmed when I first heard that Berg was a serious contender for the position, as he hasn't had much experience and his time in management hasn't been a great success. However, I do feel more optomistic, the more I have thought of it. He knows the club, what it means to the fans and if he brings the right people in, he could be a breath of fresh air. I will support him and hope that he gets us back into the Premiership first time round.

I am keen to get the full range of comments from our Norwegian fans, who generally speak sense and have an excellent knowledge base.

Ca we set up a separate thread for Norwegian views on Berg.

Hope not....... I don't understand a word of Norwegian.

It just feels so good to have a man of integrity at the helm!

I think that's a key thing and something we wouldn't perhaps have got with Arry? We do need someone to sweep away the stench of corruption that has surrounded the Club these last 2 years.

I like the man, I believe he genuinely loves the club and I pray he gets the results needed to put the seal on his appointment and guarantee us promotion.

I don't think I'll ever be what you'd call "optimistic" so long as Shebby and Venkys control the Club, I'll always be waiting for the next huge embarrassment but at least I'll know the defence will be well-marshalled and the players will be fitter.

Time to draw a line under all the disunity of the last 2 years and start afresh. Welcome back Henning.

He knows the club, what it means to the fans and if he brings the right people in, he could be a breath of fresh air.

Not just that but he's been very clued up on the situation under Venky's for a long time. He'll be more aware than most what needs to be done to sort things out, and he'll be mentally prepared to deal with Venky's as he knows exactly what they are about.

One of my fears of a Schuster/OGS appointment was that they'd be off within a few months after they realised what a mess everything above them was. At least Henning knows the score already and must be confident he can work in the strange environment.

I got a message from a friend of mine who works with footballanalsis. He had met Berg about 2 weeks ago, he had then talked warmly about the 4-2-3-1 formation. I also remember Berg saying that the norwegian national team should play this formation as well..

So I guess he might try this at Rovers.

Archived