BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Henning Berg - Rovers Manager

Puffsan

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On reflection, some of the high profile options such as Harry or Shearer would have attracted a high profile circus that we don't need after 2 years of Kean. Holloway might have been entertaining but it would be weekly barbs being exchanged between him and Shebby. Mick McCarthy and Shebby would have been a sitcom in the making. We need less of this nonsense after the last two years.

If Berg does a good steady job helping the club towards promotion, Shebby's pronouncements will become irrelevant. Black has begun the process of cleaning up the legacy of Kean's poor management of the players but the 5 week managerial search has emphasised the need to sort out the directorial structure at the club.

An unassuming ex-Rovers legend, with managerial experience in a tough league, is a good start if we are to get ours and Jack's Rovers back.

Like many, Berg wasn't my first choice, although he wasn't anywhere near the bottom of my list either to be fair.

It's very encouraging to hear the majority are willing to really get behind the new man, I'll be backing the new regime to the hilt. How refreshing to be able to fully back the team rather than wonder if a draw or a defeat might be more beneficial in terms of the 'bigger picture'.

He was a favourite of mine as a player, and has the potential to be a successful manager.

I'm a happy Rover tonight! Also, I can't remember enjoying a thread as much on here for an age. Very appreciative of the Norwegian insight - thanks guys.

Roll on saturday.

We have probably got the best man we were ever likely to get with these clowns running the show and the very public turmoil of the past 2 years.

However, there better not be any stupid adverts with chickens and HENning Bergers etc.

Good luck to him, if he manages like he plays we'll be right.

I think Berg's age, affinity and history with Rovers, and his ability with youngsters is what would have impressed Singh, Shaw and Venky's. Not to mention that he's a cheap option compared to some of the heavyweights out there.

Personally I am a little underwhelmed. I would have thought he didn't have enough prior experience or success to land this job, but guess I was wrong. A middle of the pile kind of appointment, but more experienced than McKinlay, Sherwood and Shearer combined so a no-brainer if they were the alternatives. Did fairly well with very limited resources at Lyn, took them as far as they could go and they folded completely after he left for Lillestrøm. A lot of turbulence at Lillestrøm, not too dissimilar to Rovers in a way. Enjoyed some initial success there, but never really got them going and they continued to under-perform with his best league position 10th in the league. He's a strong character who will have no problems giving youngsters a chance, but won't be everyone's friend.

Will give him a proper chance, and really hope he succeeds as he's a boyhood hero of mine.

Arte et labore, let's do this!

Bitterly disappointed with this latest cockup. It's hard to believe the way these idiots keep getting things wrong. If they just tossed a coin every time they had a decision to make they would stand a chance of getting half of the decisions right ! The fans are split right down the middle again.

Where on earth have you got that from? I would say its around 90% positive on here. Everyone looking forward to what he can do.

He will get a massive cheer at Ewood. No doubt about that

How weird will that be? Cheering a manager!

I hope he realises that the fans @ Ewood are not like they were many years ago. The most negative set of whinge bags probably in all English leagues.

What a silly comment. Unless you have been in a coma Rovers fans have had a bloody lot to be negative about in the last 24 months.

Some are far more adept at turning on their own than any of the people who have rightly seen problems within the club

It might be good for someone to ask berg early on what his involvement was in Jerome Anderson bringing through a few African SEM players through Norway, whilst Berg was manager, including the famous Obi Mikel incident.

First of all can I say, where are his contacts going to come from? He's only ever managed in Norway, hardly a hotbed of talent. Singh has pulled the wool over most supporters eyes with this appointment, now people are going to sit there and accept it without questioning why Singh didn't do better, one good thing is if this appointment fails and I think it will, Singh will be gone. Totally underwhelmed with this outcome but I suppose I will give him a chance

We do need someone to sweep away the stench of corruption that has surrounded the Club these last 2 years.

Agree totally therefore feel it's a sensible appointment, now just got to replace the director of self preservation and his mate, who I noticed a la Jordan Rhodes signing is taking the credit.

People seem to forget we are a Championship club in turmoil and honestly felt some of the "bigger" name candidates would have sussed out that it was an up hill struggle and hassle they didn't need.

Berg knows what's gone on and going on , and if he feels he can make a success of the situation then good on him.

Hopefully he will get to not only appoint his own back room team but also his own board as seems part of the course.

Overall fairly happy with the appointment , only to be ecstatic if the axe starts being wielded in the boardroom.

Is it true rumours of Alan Partridge walking round the club wearing a "I now love Mrs Desai and so does my wife " t-shirt ?

It might be good for someone to ask berg early on what his involvement was in Jerome Anderson bringing through a few African SEM players through Norway, whilst Berg was manager, including the famous Obi Mikel incident.

Say it aint so.

Nobody is ecstatic over the appointment but people are trying (grief I'm going to sound like the former pretend manager) to see the positives. We have mainly asked why, if the list was so long, Berg has got the job (although we suspect we know some of the answers to that) We have asked why it took so long to appoint someone who could probably have been appointed weeks ago. None of that takes away from the fact that we need to get behind the new manager because we have had 2 years of hating the guy in charge so much that what was one of the more pleasurable parts of our lives, going to rovers, had become a chore to go through and in many cases to avoid. If we are to survive as a team we need to give Berg every bit of support and encouragement we can. If everyone is going to whinge because they didn't get their dream management team, then the club will remain fractured and end up sliding even further down the pile. Not only that but we will look stupid to everyone outside the club who was prepared to give us the benefit of the doubt and assume that for us to so take against a manager there must have been something very wrong with Kean. We can't afford to behave like spoilt brats who want it our way or none. berg may not work out, but we need to make sure that, if he doesn't, nobody can say that it was because of us.

First of all can I say, where are his contacts going to come from? He's only ever managed in Norway, hardly a hotbed of talent.

Well I'm sure the old Man Utd boys network will be a good start , and then there's SAF he knows a thing or two. Berg was well respected in the game whilst playing over here so I'm sure contacts won't be a problem

Did Lyn Oslo not try to cut the agents out and do a deal direct with Man Utd and when it emerged the player received threats, and then the agency took the player to Chelsea?

Edit : not a 100% reliable but seems to be the case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikel_John_Obi

I think that's a key thing and something we wouldn't perhaps have got with Arry? We do need someone to sweep away the stench of corruption that has surrounded the Club these last 2 years.

I like the man, I believe he genuinely loves the club and I pray he gets the results needed to put the seal on his appointment and guarantee us promotion.

I don't think I'll ever be what you'd call "optimistic" so long as Shebby and Venkys control the Club, I'll always be waiting for the next huge embarrassment but at least I'll know the defence will be well-marshalled and the players will be fitter.

Time to draw a line under all the disunity of the last 2 years and start afresh. Welcome back Henning.

+1

He originally agreed to join Man U in January of 97, but waited until the end of that season because the club asked him to, as we were struggling with injuries and against relegation.

After being demoted to a place on the bench at Utd, he asked if he could come back to rovers, as he wanted to play football (reportedly including taking a paycut).

How many players would do that now?

I think back to his impact on rejoining us from Man U. The stability he brought in defence gave us massive impetus to go on a great run and pip Bolton for 2nd place.

I have no idea if this will work out or not, but the guy has integrity, and is a Rover. Personally I'd sooner see a realistic per and post match interview, than someone endlessly 'positive'. I also think we need a bit more professionalism from our players too, and for players to be picked on merit rather than reputation, admittedly I think Black has started doing this already.

Archived