BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Backroom

If he thinks the options on the bench aren't going to improve what is on the pitch he won't change it

Probably still stinging from the Goodwillie disaster

He's brought Goodwillie on as a sub since then so I'm assuming he's over that. He could have brought on Usai in Murphy's place today and he couldn't have been any worse.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me this season is gone and I'm happy that we are building from the back

I hope Appleton makes the central mids a priority this summer as that is our main problem by far.

It's been steady and unspectacular since he came but clear progress has been made

Wonder if Shebby is getting ready to meddle?

Do you think Appleton would let anyone meddle? If so he shouldn't be manager, I don't think he would though.

I must say that I have been impressed with what Appleton is doing thus far in difficult circumstances. He has made Dann and Hanley look an impressive defensive unit and has brought a solid look to the team. Two years of mismanagement and poor buys have left us with a squad that was never good enough to go up this season. The guy needs to be given the summer to bring in his own players and to do a proper pre-season - something we haven't done for a couple of years now. At the moment it reminds me very much of the time when Gordon Lee arrived in January 1974. He quickly gave up on a promotion push and used the rest of the season to assess his resources and then got rid of some and brought in his own players for the following season's Third Division Championship winning campaign. Appleton seems to be in the same mould from what I have seen thus far. The time to judge him will be this time next season.

The last two games have summed up Appleton for me = clueless.

pathetic and pointless post

Didn't he get mostly draws in his 10 games at Blackpool as well? I'm all for defensive solidity but if we don't improve in the attacking third we'll struggle again next season. Is there a reason he's hesitant to use subs?

we got to give time to built his own team and style of play.

the bench isnt great and I struggle to see who on the bench could off change the game. I thought Gomes for Campbell. would have took Murphy off if Williamson was on bench.

Not sure MA is clueless, he is realistic, he is back to basics, we would have lost today under Coco/Berg.

exactly he has made us morr solid at the back and getting clean sheets. think 5th in 9th league games.

under Kean and Berg we would have lost that for sure.

the fans needs to be patience and give Appleton the summer to overhaul this sqaud which needs it.

any fans calling for Appy to be sack are total clueless. (these are people on twitter not have here btw)

Today's performance was dull verging on dire but listening to Radio Lancs post-match interview you'd have thought Appleton was at a different game to the one we were watching today.

" exciting and fiercely competitive"

This is a bit of a concern. By the sounds of it this style of play is going to continue. Although we need to build from the back and get back to basics it does worry me that we are happy to sit back, cross our fingers and hope we get a bit of luck (like at Arsenal). This is 2 points lost rather than a point gained.

Leeds had more possession, more shots on target and more corners.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1229668-audio-blackburn-0-leeds-0-michael-appleton-bbclancashire#t=0m0s

There is still a lot of improvement needed in our play and we need to be picking up points for these types of fixtures if we are to get anywhere near the play-offs. Saying that, the jury is still out and hopefully we will start to see an improvement in points and performances.

It could be argued that he's just carried on the defensively sound work that Bowyer started, whilst blunting our attack. I'd agree that may be a little harsh but we certainly seem no better off than we did after Bowyer's run.

Too many beers at the rugger Chaddy?

no, didnt have a beer. just didnt write it correctly

I`ve seen some rubbish written in my time but tonight takes it to a new level. People saying Appleton is clueless and should be sacked. Garbage.

The guy has worked wonders since coming into the club. There's a real organisation and grit about the team. We are lacking in quality in midfield, no doubt about that. Appleton knows that and will rectify that in the summer.

Two years of mismanagement and people expect that to be rectified after 6 weeks. Crazy.

I`ve seen some rubbish written in my time but tonight takes it to a new level. People saying Appleton is clueless and should be sacked. Garbage.

The guy has worked wonders since coming into the club. There's a real organisation and grit about the team. We are lacking in quality in midfield, no doubt about that. Appleton knows that and will rectify that in the summer.

Two years of mismanagement and people expect that to be rectified after 6 weeks. Crazy.

Well said.

He has worked wonders in a very short space of time. And there's nothing wrong with being hard to beat, Hughes did similar when he took over. Im sure he'll sort our midfield out when he gets chance. I've started to enjoy going to ewood again and that is down to appleton. He needs time.

I think one person said he's clueless, and I haven't seen anyone say he should be sacked.

Time will tell whether Appleton is the right man for the job but he has shown already that he will make us difficult to beat next year.

How many clean sheets have we kept under Appleton compared to the rest of the season in the championship?

Some of the dipsticks we have on twitter are beyond a joke.

He needs time to build a team as the dross we currently have in the squad needs replacing.

2 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses in the league since Appleton came in.

Jury is still out as USA commented. He appears to be completely unable to change anything, and I mean ANYTHING during games. An ability which good managers possess. As I've said in the match thread, fans will start to demand more, particularly at home as we've been so lacklustre it's unbelievable.

Surely 2 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses is very respectable considering he's only had 7 games to get the squad fit and playing hard defensively? I think Appleton's the man to get us up the next level. The question is whether he'll be given the resources and, if so, when.

Not sure MA is clueless, he is realistic, he is back to basics, we would have lost today under Coco/Berg.

Agreed. We've been gutted over the last two years. It'll take time to repair the damage and get us playing as we should.

• Backroom

Do you think Appleton would let anyone meddle? If so he shouldn't be manager, I don't think he would though.

Sorry by meddle I meant come out of hiding and say something about his record not being good enough and putting him under pressure

Today's performance was dull verging on dire but listening to Radio Lancs post-match interview you'd have thought Appleton was at a different game to the one we were watching today.

" exciting and fiercely competitive"

Whilst the game lacked class it was competitive and I thought quite exciting, breathless stuff

Not seen a game as end to end as that in a long time if hardly stopped in the second half (aided by both midfields not keeping the ball much)

As Topman said, nobody has said he should be sacked.

It seems for some on here that Appleton is beyond any criticism. This is a forum and we're all obviously going to have a differing opinion. I'd personally say he's been slightly 'clueless' with his lack of subs, but that's just me.

I must say that I have been impressed with what Appleton is doing thus far in difficult circumstances. He has made Dann and Hanley look an impressive defensive unit and has brought a solid look to the team. Two years of mismanagement and poor buys have left us with a squad that was never good enough to go up this season. The guy needs to be given the summer to bring in his own players and to do a proper pre-season - something we haven't done for a couple of years now. At the moment it reminds me very much of the time when Gordon Lee arrived in January 1974. He quickly gave up on a promotion push and used the rest of the season to assess his resources and then got rid of some and brought in his own players for the following season's Third Division Championship winning campaign. Appleton seems to be in the same mould from what I have seen thus far. The time to judge him will be this time next season.

Parson I agree unequivocally with your opinion.

I don't know if Appleton will be the guy that ultimately rights all the wrongs, who does. He's been left one hell of a legacy and has certainly immediately faced it head on in terms of cleansing the club of the dross we all knew we had.

It would be expecting a bit too much to expect the inherent club culture,cocoesque , to also change overnight and walk into the playoffs at the same time.

I'd be happy with a Wembley appearance or two (dreams still) and a proper restructuring of the squad to challenge for promotion with style next season.

Judge Appleton at Christmas

Sorry by meddle I meant come out of hiding and say something about his record not being good enough and putting him under pressure

Whilst the game lacked class it was competitive and I thought quite exciting, breathless stuff

Not seen a game as end to end as that in a long time if hardly stopped in the second half (aided by both midfields not keeping the ball much)

It certainly lacked class and although it was a fairly competitive second half I think Leeds dominated in the first and looked like the side most likely to take advantage.

I suppose I'm yet to be convinced with the style of play and tactics, it looks like we're trying to play on the counter and shut up shop in the first half but then there doesn't seem to be any incentives towards going forward. This kind of game can pay off with a bit of luck but we only need to look at what happened at Hull to see where it can lead...

Time for some to get a little reality check. This season has been gone for ages. We now need to give our manager time to work through the mess he walked into. Any talk of sacking him is nuts, so far he has done exactly what any manager would do. Our defence need sorting and it's looking good far more solid. To expect him to also be able to get us playing attractive/attacking football in totally unrealistic. We have finally have a good manager and still people aren't happy. We all know why the squad is a joke and who is to blame for it.

Time for some to get a little reality check. This season has been gone for ages. We now need to give our manager time to work through the mess he walked into. Any talk of sacking him is nuts, so far he has done exactly what any manager would do. Our defence need sorting and it's looking good far more solid. To expect him to also be able to get us playing attractive/attacking football in totally unrealistic. We have finally have a good manager and still people aren't happy. We all know why the squad is a joke and who is to blame for it.

Who has said anything about sacking other than the aggravators egar to jump to their own conclusions when any slight negative or neutral comment is made? Get a grip.

To be fair this is a massive job, we all know the last 2 years will take time to rectify.

My worry is that whereas we can wait for the results to start coming Venky's might not be so patient.

It is well documented that this season's one and only objective was to reach promotion. It is also equally well documented that Rovers finances are not for good reading. My fear is whereas Appleton is making all the right moves for the long term, Venky's might not be so appreciative and the real asset stripping could start to begin. On that basis, I'm still undecided if sitting back for 90 minutes waiting for a break will be enough to push us to where we need to be.

Saying that the season is not over yet (we are only 7 points off 6th place with 13 games left to pick up points) and we could push into the play-offs.

Where are all those posters who used to argue we had the best squad in this league and all we needed was a decent manager?

Must have gone on coaching courses!

Noticeable thing to me on here over the last 12 months is that there are many with a big opinion who never attend a game.

For me heresay never formed the basis for making an informed opinion. Therein may lie the answer to your initial question.

I attend all the home games and I think we're playing as badly if not worse than under any of the other 4 managers this season.

After having the misfortune to witness todays pile of doggy doo it's not hard to see how Blackpool ended up with a record of 2-7-2.

That may have been fine and dandy in the olden days when it was two points for a win but it is practically useless these days.

I attend all the home games and I think we're playing as badly if not worse than under any of the other 4 managers this season.

After having the misfortune to witness todays pile of doggy doo it's not hard to see how Blackpool ended up with a record of 2-7-2.

That may have been fine and dandy in the olden days when it was two points for a win but it is practically useless these days.

Fully endorsed!

Archived