BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

For me this season is gone and I'm happy that we are building from the back

I hope Appleton makes the central mids a priority this summer as that is our main problem by far.

It's been steady and unspectacular since he came but clear progress has been made

Wonder if Shebby is getting ready to meddle?

How much more building at the back are we going to do? Yes we have been a lot more solid but now we don't even seem to create any chances. I would think that Appleton might have started thinking on how to improve goalscoring by now. It seems we are just happy to stop teams scoring but we have to score to win. Not convinced yet.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were to ask 100 rovers fans what the biggest problem in the team is I'd say the 90 of them would answer with our central midfield.

So, I find it quite worrying that the manager hasn't seen fit to go all out for a decent central mid loanee. Someone like Sidwell from Fulham for example.

All I can see at the moment is the players working hard (a prerequisite for a professional surely) and defenders defending with a purpose ( as they should).

Have we really fallen so far that we now credit the manager for getting the players to do what should be their bread and butter?

Must have gone on coaching courses!

Noticeable thing to me on here over the last 12 months is that there are many with a big opinion who never attend a game.

For me heresay never formed the basis for making an informed opinion. Therein may lie the answer to your initial question.

Full circle to the you don't go so you know nowt argument. Along with not being allowed opinions if you don't go to Ewood.

• Backroom

Have we really fallen so far that we now credit the manager for getting the players to do what should be their bread and butter?

Short answer is, unfortunately, yes. And some (Murphy, Lowe) still aren't even doing that.

I attend all the home games and I think we're playing as badly if not worse than under any of the other 4 managers this season.

After having the misfortune to witness todays pile of doggy doo it's not hard to see how Blackpool ended up with a record of 2-7-2.

That may have been fine and dandy in the olden days when it was two points for a win but it is practically useless these days.

Well it's mid table form init Rev but we are oh yeah mid table. Looks like B Davies has Forest clicking a bit in what? three games is it or four.

If you were to ask 100 rovers fans what the biggest problem in the team is I'd say the 90 of them would answer with our central midfield.

So, I find it quite worrying that the manager hasn't seen fit to go all out for a decent central mid loanee. Someone like Sidwell from Fulham for example.

All I can see at the moment is the players working hard (a prerequisite for a professional surely) and defenders defending with a purpose ( as they should).

Must be a dilemma LD in fairness.

If he could just bin several incumbents I guess there wouldn't be an issue. Contractually and financially how does he get rid of Etuhu and Murphy not to mention the plethora currently out on loan but deemed either not good enough or surplus to requirements?

maybe he has try to sign him on loan but Fulham wont allow him out on loan.

I am very sure that Appleton will sort out the centre midfield problem. cant sort this out now.

Think Murphy and maybe Etuhu will go. would like someone like Dorrans in centre mid with Lowe or Williamson aswell. Also sign Thomas and Bentley in the summer

didmt Appleton tried to sign Radoslaw Majewski on transfer deadline day? but forest got him to sign a new contract

How much more building at the back are we going to do? Yes we have been a lot more solid but now we don't even seem to create any chances. I would think that Appleton might have started thinking on how to improve goalscoring by now. It seems we are just happy to stop teams scoring but we have to score to win. Not convinced yet.

Don't you get a sense of organisation which hasn't been the case for nearly three years.....especially within the backroom? Appleton is a mans man and won't stand for any @#/?.....we need this rIght now for a bit. What do you know over there in Yankee land.. :)

Full circle to the you don't go so you know nowt argument. Along with not being allowed opinions if you don't go to Ewood.

That's not what I said or eluded to USA.

For clarity we're all allowed opinions but surely those that attend can form one that's more informed from a playing perspective than those that don't?

maybe he has try to sign him on loan but Fulham wont allow him out on loan.

I am very sure that Appleton will sort out the centre midfield problem. cant sort this out now.

Think Murphy and maybe Etuhu will go. would like someone like Dorrans in centre mid with Lowe or Williamson aswell. Also sign Thomas and Bentley in the summer

didmt Appleton tried to sign Radoslaw Majewski on transfer deadline day? but forest got him to sign a new contract

do you really think Bentley will come here permanently if he's only offered championship(ish) wages, who is going too pay etuhu&Murphey anywhere near what their getting here(are you seeing the pattern).

Appletons still got a massive job ahead in regards to clearing out the remaining deadwood(we couldn't even shift givet and Robinson because of their high wage demands) and he will still have too sort out the futures of all the players currently out on loan(which wont be easy), Appleton didnt cause these problems but he been left the massive task of sorting it whilst at the same time being expected to get us promoted.

Just on approval, I think Bentley may step inside, King on RW and DJ won't be around much longer.

Going off today's performance, I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Campbell has scored so many at this level. He was beyond abysmal and looked like he had very little to his game.

Going off today's performance, I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Campbell has scored so many at this level. He was beyond abysmal and looked like he had very little to his game.

Agreed, add that to a 20 minute cameo at Hull where he was even worse.

I appreciate the job that MA has done so far, the team is defending much better now.

But it seems the plan is defend and hope to score.

In a season so demanding for the players and even when they are playing badly, he doesn't change anything. Sometimes, a fresh player can change a game...

In one of the games I saw, I was surprised that both Murphy (no legs) and CKR (completely lost in the field) ended the game and there were still subs to be made.

And don't tell me he doesn't trust the subs, he has had Pedersen and Markus Olssson on the bench and not used them. (and they have been used a lot).

The best performances going forward from midfield I have seen this season have been Peterborough (admittedly on telly), parts of the Huddersfield game (ten seconds from victory, phantom defending) and Birmingham. They were managed under Berg who, looking back, probably took on the job on terms heavily weighted against his interests, not least, that promotion first time of asking was a given or we'll trap you in a lift with Shebby for twelve hours. And Barnsley away which was a revelation. I couldn't believe the same squad of players could play with such commitment and get their reward.

I didn't go to Derby in the cup. But it also goes to prove the point. There seem to be a lot people making excuses for this squad. I don't buy that.

Appleton has done right to make me proud again of our defence. I don't know what has been put in Hanley's tea, but it's transformed the lad.

Which all begs the question for me, if the players can shift themselves going forward in some games, why can't they all the time? I've seen their ability with my own eyes and I don't know the answer. But I do believe we shouldn't make Appleton into a footballing knight above criticism because he isn't Kean, has a coherent company background to work with rather than against (unlike Berg), and speaks with a Lancashire accent. (When was the last time we had a Lancastrian manager, btw).

A Pompey supporting friend of mine warned me that Appleton will nearly always look to get to half time on level terms and try to steal the points in the second half. He also warned me that when chasing a game he left the crowd frustrated with a lack of substitutions and when they did eventually arrive they did little to change the game.

That said, i would be happy to see Rovers stick with him and give him the chance to build his own side for one final push next season. I fear that next season will be the final opportunity for a long while. You have to applaud the way he has tightened us up at the back. That is always the basis of any good side. With free reign to sign a few in the summer we will almost definatey see a midfield with plenty of energy through the middle and pace out wide. That will be the (rather basic but effective) style of our attacking play. I still believe that he is having to fit square pegs in round holes with the squad he currently has.

I still believe the job called for an experienced manager. But i will say that Appleton so far seems to have some genuine potential as a manager. Unlike Kean and Berg. For that reason it wouldn't be a problem for me to see him stay and build a side and gain some experience at Rovers. I think he has shown he has some promise.

The huge problem still remains the central midfield. I have some sympathy for Appleton as Williamson temporarily solved part of that problem at The Emirates but is now injured. The obvious problem with Rhodes and DJ is that neither can even get anything on the ball when it's played up to them - never mind hold it up. This means that we can't play through the middle and can't go long. We may be trying to get it out wide and play up the wings but with Thomas not happening and Best / Olsson / CKR absent yesterday we had no pace on the wings. The decision to part with Rochina looked even more baffling yesterday. I still fear we are several players off getting a squad for promotion next year.

• Moderation Lead

Think Thomas loan deal might be happening this week.

think we need Best back so he can play the target man role which we lack since he as he got injured. him and Rhodes next season would be great.

Thomas would be a good addition, but if we're allowed any more loans, we absolutely have to beef up our central midfield ASAP, especially considering the recent injury to Williamson, given the existing injuries to our other central midfielders.

Archived