BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rhodes or Best?

Fans don't want to think about it but it's inevitable. Football has changed so much, you don't see players staying at clubs for years and years these days due to the financial benefits of moving and also the desire to achieve as much as possible in the game. Modern footballers are far more ambitious, they want to play at the highest level of the game they can.

True, but we spent quite a bit on him and will (presumably) want to recoup that in any sale. For a change we might have an asset that the Venkys aren't just happy to cash in at the first whiff of interest. Our purchase price might put off enough potential suitors to keep him at the club for a while, anyway.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Den, I'd probably take issue with the 'shooting power' bit. I was sat behind the goal for the away game at Bristol City. They were warming up in a goal by the away fans and Rhodes was smashing the ball in. Also every single shot he had hit the target, I commented on the match thread at the time that in comparison Pedersen's shots hit innocent spectators or pigeons!!

I had that exact feeling (that there was no way he'd miss) for his second yesterday.

Precisely the same Stuart. Very similar to his goal at Barnsley - chased a punt over the central defender, got the better of him, quick glance up and calmly sidefoot it a foot inside the post. I remember the Hudds fan (Ben summat) saying he doesn't do a lot apart from score and that looks about right to me.

I think we should be able to hold onto him for another season. The high fee and decent wages will probably put premier league clubs off until he has really shown himself to be consistent.

It didn't put liverpool off carrol after one good season in the championship (17 in 39 )and 11 in premier , and he still has not scored 100 league goals

He could be worth much more to somebody than £8million.

He could be worth less to somebody else.

It's all relative.

If we finish mid table then he's not yet been worth £8million to us. That's not the players fault and I'd say the signing was worth the risk considering how well he's done single handedly. Then you've also got to consider the sell on value. If he was to make the difference to somebody going up and staying down then he'd easily be worth the money.

It´s from August. Rhodes has been a real deal. It´s fair to say Rovers paid overprice but it seems to be a good move for the club. We could have signed PL striker next to nothing but on huge wages. We did that on midfield and not so succesfully. Now Rovers have to bring in a free agent from league one as Etuhu is crap.

Considering his record (edit) equalling goal yesterday , can't let it go without a tribute BRFCS t-shirt

scores-when-he-wants_design.png

Available from the BRFCS Shop HERE , If you want the design in a different colour / different shirt just leave a message here (although there are already variations in the shop), There are also metallic vinyl prints in a number of colours Gold , silver sparkly pink etc if you want these

• Backroom

Considering his record breaking goal yesterday , can't let it go without a tribute BRFCS t-shirt

scores-when-he-wants_design.png

Available from the BRFCS Shop HERE , If you want the design in a different colour / different shirt just leave a message here (although there are already variations in the shop)

Record equalling not breaking yet, wait till Tuesday for that :P

I can't believe I actually saw someone on twitter ask if he is now our greatest striker of all time lol

• Backroom

oops my bad blame it on a lack of sleep, must be confident about Tuesday :)

He seems likely to score whenever he plays to be honest

Even today like vs wolves, Charlton and other games he played pretty poorly but pops up with a goal although knowing how he is he'll be gutted not to have more today

He seems likely to score whenever he plays to be honest

Even today like vs wolves, Charlton and other games he played pretty poorly but pops up with a goal although knowing how he is he'll be gutted not to have more today

Was listening on Radio Rovers and get that little tingle that somethings going to happen when I hear his name , just like I used to when seeing Shearer get the ball. Thank god Shebby stuck to his guns eh Tom , ha ha

• Backroom

Was listening on Radio Rovers and get that little tingle that somethings going to happen when I hear his name , just like I used to when seeing Shearer get the ball. Thank god Shebby stuck to his guns eh Tom , ha ha

Lets no tread over old ground, my opinion on that won't change my friend :P

Campbell, Best or Kazim surely.

Very true.

I would be tempted to say Kazim on the right, but it's whether he would be useful there given that he can be hit and miss. Not sure how he'd fair defensively on one of his off days. I'd like to see him used there when he's fired up. Switching him over in the second half maybe, or bringing him on if he didn't start.

When he briefly left the field with a head injury I thought maybe bringing in DJ Campbell had jinxed him! Fortunately he's made of strong stuff - must be the 10 years in Scotland. :rolleyes:

At least the ladies in the JW Lower got a treat as changed his shirt - and shorts - pitchside. Notice he changed his 'blood shirt' for another 'Rhodes 11' one at half time though - maybe a bit superstitious. Although there's probably plenty pre-printed in the Roverstore. :D

Archived