BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

Chris_h, bar Cardiff, I don't rate any team in the championship. Its a very weak league.

Rovers won once in 10 games yet are in 8th position and not far off the play offs. That is crazy. I wouldn't fear any of the current championship teams next season.

Out of the teams that potentially go down, QPR will be unrecognisable and will shift everyone and anyone off the wage bill. Reading would be challenging. Saints would be strong. Wigan wouldn't do anything. Villa would have to shift a hell of a lot of players out so would be a period of transition. Norwich would be strong.

The problem is neophox, we don't really have any margin for error left this season. If we have 1 or 2 off days and lose games we should win then we could end up being too far behind.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. Surely people can't hold one interview against him when he's offered a full apology?

I know for sure I can't throw criticism at someone for seeing a stupid and irresponsible thing after a few beers. People in glass houses and all that.

I've spoken to people who have met Bentley in person and they say he's actually a sound lad. The way he conducts himself in public can contradict that but I saw his apology last year and it should be accepted.

Time to let bygones be bygones and think of what Bentley and Rhodes might do to Burnley.

I'd say Beckham was the complete opposite for "all style and no substance". He wasn't particularly stylish but worked incredibly hard and nearly always delivered an end product. He created countless goals for teammates and was always a steady goalscorer himself, double figures or there abouts each season.

Anyone who plays for Man Utd, Real Madrid and AC Milan and impresses at each club can consider themselves to be a world class player. Club football doesn't get any higher.

Spot on, absolute nonsense to suggest because he can't dribble past a player he is like any other stock player across the world.

The chap was an absolute quality player, his list of teams confirm this, his list of achievements confirm this, the number of caps for his nation confirm it.

Having lurked over the forum for a while I know that you are of the opinion that players are within their rights to cause a fuss or use similar means to get out of their contracts and grab a lucrative contract elsewhere.

I can't agree and put Bentley in the same bracket as Price, Hendry, Le Saux, Sherwood, Sutton, Neill, Santa Cruz and Samba who have, yes, sh1t on the club in using the media with their agents to manipulate themselves out of contracts that they freely entered into. In the process of doing so they destabilise the club, show it in an unfavourable light and let down supporters.

Henning Berg demonstrated how a player can get a move to a top club and do so with dignity.

We didn't bring any of those players through the club's youth teams though did we? Effectively we signed them because we represented a step up for them. Since the 60;s and particularly since Bosman and Freedom of contract football it's dog eat dog in football. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Did you shed any tears when the above destabilised the likes of Hereford / Dundee / Chelsea / Norwich. Did you care what their supporters felt? Sav sh1t on the Brum fans who had voted him player of the year when he came to us. Loyalty begins and ends with the supporters so it's best to either shrug your shoulders and accept the way it is or to walk away from the game.

It's so skewed toward the players now that if I were Chairman of a club I'd pay players above the avearge but only on short term rolling contracts.

How can you even say that about Beckham? Just look at where he's played and how many differing top class managers have played him even now. Yes he maybe a media darling but he's different class and a consumate professional. Bentley was never going to rival him.

Beckham? Slow, no left foot, can't head a ball, can't tackle and can't dribble. He certainly made the most of a great right foot and a strong work ethic.... and marrying a pop star whilst playing for Man U.

Lets hope that Bentley is given some leeway and the last 5 years in which he will have lost some pace and sharpness as well as a class aerial team mate who's can take advantage of his crosses (santa cruz) will not be used as a stick to beat him with.

Could be a very good loan signing :tu:

Indeed. But he needs to hit the ground running this time.

To be fair i remember reading plenty football related posts from Philipl years ago long before you amazingly appeared on this board 24/7 lol. Also long before the takeover crap began, that is presuming im thinking of the right bloke of course !

Not defending PhilipL cos he really has written some daft stuff..... but not daft enough or often enough to require a whole new identity.

Always nice to see some Beckham bashing but he was world class when he was at Utd.

Could you give your interpretation of what 'World class' means please?

We didn't bring any of those players through the club's youth teams though did we? Effectively we signed them because we represented a step up for them. Since the 60;s and particularly since Bosman and Freedom of contract football it's dog eat dog in football. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Did you shed any tears when the above destabilised the likes of Hereford / Dundee / Chelsea / Norwich. Did you care what their supporters felt? Sav sh1t on the Brum fans who had voted him player of the year when he came to us. Loyalty begins and ends with the supporters so it's best to either shrug your shoulders and accept the way it is or to walk away from the game.

It's so skewed toward the players now that if I were Chairman of a club I'd pay players above the avearge but only on short term rolling contracts.

I was with you until the last sentence. You might find it easier to offload dollopers but aren't protecting your investment and have just lost the club millions in transfer fees.

It would take the whole of football to do the same for it to work but at least we'd a meritocratic system where the cream rose to the top and the chaff was separated off.

How would you deal with player injuries though? Get the players to arrange their own insurance? Trouble is the insurance companies wouldn't pay or their premiums would further inflate the wage demands.

• Backroom

Could you give your interpretation of what 'World class' means please?

I'll give you mine:

Would I pay money to see *player* in his prime, even if it had no other benefit to me or rovers or England? If yes, world class.

Beckham is one that JUST creeps in for me. But well ahead of him are G.Best, Pele, Maradona, B.Charlton, Charles, Clayton, Douglas, Zidane and couple of dozen others.

I'll give you mine:

Would I pay money to see *player* in his prime, even if it had no other benefit to me or rovers or England? If yes, world class.

Beckham is one that JUST creeps in for me. But well ahead of him are G.Best, Pele, Maradona, B.Charlton, Charles, Clayton, Douglas, Zidane and couple of dozen others.

I agree with your definition but i would never pay to watch Beckham play. I saw him many times but was never in awe.

I would much rather have watched:

C.Ronaldo

Messi

Xavi

Iniesta

Figo

Zidane

(original) Ronaldo

Ronaldinho

Rivaldo

Robben

Ribery

Henry

Pires

Cantona

Bergkamp

Bale

Falcao

Giggs

Rooney

RVP

Torres (Liverpool Torres)

van Nistelrooy

Kaka

Neymar

And so many more! I could name 50 players over the past 20 years I would prefer to watch, maybe even more! Out of the English players I would rate Gerrard as a better player than Beckham. Rooney, Gascoigne, Shearer, Mcmanaman and Owen are also players I'd prefer to watch.

I just cant see a case for Beckham being a World Class footballer. He is a very good footballer, he has played for some very good teams, but there are other reasons apart from his footballing skill as to why he has played for certain teams. (I am not saying the other reasons are the whole reason, but they certainly have an influence)

Having had debates constantly about the phrase 'World class' in relation to Rugby League the best way I have found to describe it is 'are they one of the best two or three players in their position at any one time'. Sadly, this can never be said for Beckham, there have been many better players in his position than him over his career. (I think it is pretty safe to say Beckham was never even the best winger in the teams he was playing for! Giggs was a far better player and Figo at Madrid!)

David Beckham was twice runner up in the FIFA World Player of the Year awards.

That in itself proves David Beckham was, at points, world class. He was voted by footballers, managers and journalists to be the second best footballer throughout a year. He would, therefore, have got in ANY team at that point.

That in itself proves David Beckham was, at points, world class. He was voted by footballers, managers and journalists to be the second best footballer throughout a year. He would, therefore, have got in ANY team at that point.

That was before they changed the voting process, which they changed because of many of the choices over the past few seasons were 'questionable'. Footballers certainly didnt vote as they first voted in 2004 after the voting process changed.

I'll give you mine:

I guess it's all about opinions of course but I call Beckham a 'gud un' . Ronnie shouldn't really be in that list, Charles, Charlton and Duggie are 'brilliant' players who could all cxhange a game with their ability whilst Pele, Maradona and Zidane were truly 'World class' players.

The term World Class imo applies to players who would be selected in the best squad of 22 players should we ever play Mars. Current players who attract the 'worldy' tag like Gerrard and Rooney would get nowhere near I'm afraid.

This gets my vote for the most ridiculous post on the forum.

I call it it the most accurate. He can't dribble and he's no pace. How else is he going to play winger without that superb right foot, speed of thought and a strong work ethic ? Without the first two he's Div 1 or 2 level.

Marketing dept........ In fact Nike's marketing dept. Beckham has been marketed to death in the huge and expanding far east markets where they don't understand football and are influenced almost entirely by image.

I could name 50 players over the past 20 years I would prefer to watch, maybe even more! Out of the English players I would rate Gerrard as a better player than Beckham. Rooney, Gascoigne, Shearer, Mcmanaman and Owen are also players I'd prefer to watch.

Why do you keep going on about who you would rather watch? That's got nothing to do with it.

I guess it's all about opinions of course but I call Beckham a 'gud un' . Ronnie shouldn't really be in that list, Charles, Charlton and Duggie are 'brilliant' players who could all cxhange a game with their ability whilst Pele, Maradona and Zidane were truly 'World class' players.

The term World Class imo applies to players who would be selected in the best squad of 22 players should we ever play Mars. Current players who attract the 'worldy' tag like Gerrard and Rooney would get nowhere near I'm afraid.

I call it it the most accurate. He can't dribble and he's no pace. How else is he going to play winger without that superb right foot, speed of thought and a strong work ethic ? Without the first two he's Div 1 or 2 level.

A certain World Cup winning captain had no pace but was quicker to the ball than his opponents!!

Why do you keep going on about who you would rather watch? That's got nothing to do with it.

Of course it doesnt!

Unless you of course link the fact that the post I was replying to was about someone saying 'Would i pay money to see...'. To watch these players you pay money! Get it now? Its not that difficult, I would rather pay my money to watch these better players than watch Beckham play!

why on earth does it not have anything to do with it. those are players I would much rather watch because of their superior footballing abilities. People want to watch good footballers, they are better ones than Beckham in my opinion.

A certain World Cup winning captain had no pace but was quicker to the ball than his opponents!!

You mean Bobby Moore I take it? I think I've mentioned 'speed of thought' above. As Cloughie once said of the superb Glenn Hoddle 'he's not quick but the first yard is in his head'.

Can't dribble, no pace, can't tackle, can't head, can't beat a man, no left foot, but stands out because he can do the forgotten art of crossing a ball as well as kicking a balloon into the net from 20 yards helped in no small way by balloon aerodynamics. If it wasn't for image and the ease in which the human species swallows PR he would have been just another slow right sided midfielder ;)

Anyway unless we are signing him lets move on :)

Can't dribble, no pace, can't tackle, can't head, can't beat a man, no left foot, but stands out because he can do the forgotten art of crossing a ball as well as kicking a balloon into the net from 20 yards helped in no small way by balloon aerodynamics. If it wasnt for image and the ease in which the human species swallows PR he would have been just another slow right sidef midfielder

Maybe if you took a look at his honours list, it might take you a while, then you'd apprieciate what a top class player he is.

His ability to pass, cross and make that little bit of space to make the cross is second to none. His free kicks were not to bad either were they.

How often do you need/want your right winger heading the ball? Last time I checked he was crossing the bloody thing!

Equally he's not there to tackle, he's there to create.

You live in your little dream world putting down the best thing we've produced as a nation for a long time though.

Archived