BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope there's a definite clause to buy in these loans. There's nothing worse than getting a player in on loan and him being fantastic only to lose him at the end of the season, Jermaine Jones is a prime example of this.

To play devil's advocate, their new manager would have wanted him to push for Champions League qualification whereas we were 100% guaranteed to be in a relegation battle.

I would be surprised if he wanted to stay. He joined us when we were a mid-table side....I doubt a player of his proven ability would have joined us as a bottom 5 team without very high wages or a relegation release clause or something.

I still miss him though.

To play devil's advocate, their new manager would have wanted him to push for Champions League qualification whereas we were 100% guaranteed to be in a relegation battle.

I would be surprised if he wanted to stay. He joined us when we were a mid-table side....I doubt a player of his proven ability would have joined us as a bottom 5 team without very high wages or a relegation release clause or something.

I still miss him though.

Apparently he was under pressure from her indoors to find a move over here, how much truth was in that I'm not sure.

I still miss him though.

I know it's a bit of a bold statement but I reckon he could have been the difference in staying in the Premiership last season, he's never been replaced since.

I know it's a bit of a bold statement but I reckon he could have been the difference in staying in the Premiership last season, he's never been replaced since.

Hmmm, not sure. On the one hand, our ppg would have seen us go down with him, Phil Jones, Samba, Nzonzi, an in-form Hoilett, and Olsson in his best position.

On the other hand, we didn't have Yakubu.

But Kean was awful so I'd argue we still would have went down.

There's nothing worse than getting a player in on loan and him being fantastic only to lose him at the end of the season

Yeah there is... Not having the player at all. It was better to have Jones for six months than none.

Getting permanent deals all depends on the selling club I guess. With Bentley it'll only be possible if his contact is up at Spurs, and otherwise wages would be impossible.

• Backroom

Bentley seems to relax on a long deal. His best form has been on loan.

I recall him being average on loan. Soon as he signed permanently, he bagged that utd hat-trick and was compared to Beckham for 2/3 yrs.

Bentley seems to relax on a long deal. His best form has been on loan.

I honestly cannot tell if you are being serious. When he was on loan with us he was an average player, someone who would do a job, nothing more. could also go missing. When we signed him full time he grew in confidence and was unrecognisable to the player from before. He was consistent for us throughout his contract. to suggest anything else is crazy.

he has been on loan many places over the past few seasons and has been terrible!

Because he had potential and was cheap. And Wenger originally saw something in him.

He was a lot, lot better when he signed permanently.

I once read a comment from a Spurs fan saying he was actually decent for them for a short while and it was during his only extended run in the team.

A lot of players need that to start playing well.

I'd love to have him back with some pace on the other wing.

Why did we sign him if he was average? Also at Norwich when there on loan from the Arse...just a thought...I wouldn't give him a long deal.

I seem to remember we wanted another prem based player on loan (maybe florent sinama pongolle) and we couldnt loan another one. We put a cheap bid in for bentley (a player who we thought would do a job for a small price) and got him.

why would we have got him if he did well on loan? we certainly wouldnt have got him so cheap, arsenal could have got a lot more or kept him if he did well on loan!

it also wasnt as if we had an agreement to buy him because we bought him half way through the loan (on deadline day if i remember correctly). which is when I am sure we got FSP in

I hope there's a definite clause to buy in these loans. There's nothing worse than getting a player in on loan and him being fantastic only to lose him at the end of the season, Jermaine Jones is a prime example of this.

If we hadn't signed Jones it's a fair bet we'd have been relegated a year sooner. What happened next proves that there's nothing wrong with signing quality loan players.. only in not replacing them

Because he had potential and was cheap. And Wenger originally saw something in him.

He was a lot, lot better when he signed permanently.

I once read a comment from a Spurs fan saying he was actually decent for them for a short while and it was during his only extended run in the team.

A lot of players need that to start playing well.

I'd love to have him back with some pace on the other wing.

Very similar to Hoilett. Arry came in, saw a player living the high life with his foot off the gas, made an example of him and wrote him off. He could afford to do that at rich clubs whilst other managers on less resources have to persevere and try to coax performances out of them. Hughes and Allardyce could both do that to a degree but the recognised master was Brian Clough. It's fair to say that none of these managers performed as well with money as they did without.

There is a lesson to be learned there somewhere.

If we hadn't signed Jones it's a fair bet we'd have been relegated a year sooner. What happened next proves that there's nothing wrong with signing quality loan players.. only in not replacing them

+10

And, imo, we've still not replaced Jones.

Can't make my mind up about Bentley. On one hand he's been slightly kean since he left us on the other we know the boy has talent.

We certainly know he had talent and that he's therefore capable of reproducing. My worry is that he's forgotten. He's had a hell of a time since his spell with us and it must be very easy to lose the belief ad confidence in your own abilities that seem to be so vital for footballers.

Can't make my mind up about Bentley. On one hand he's been slightly kean since he left us on the other we know the boy has talent.

'Big time Charlie' to use a Fergie quote, thought he was better than he was and became a pain in the backside when trying to force through a move. Under normal circumstances I'd be against the move, but if Appleton wants him, who am I to argue.

I'm very much of the same opinion as regards Bentley. I'm not usually one to forgive and forget when players have shat on the club but the manager must be allowed to bring in the players he wants.

When his head is straight he can be a game changer, which is what we are short of in general, Rhodes can do it but only if he gets some service

When his head is straight he can be a game changer, which is what we are short of in general, Rhodes can do it but only if he gets some service

If he supplies amo to Rhodes in the way he did for RSC then I'd be happy to forget his drunken transfer request on SSN.

Archived