BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps Murphy would have been more prepared for life in this division, if his mate Keano had not turned the

training centre into a holiday camp, then again perhaps he, and some of the other players on big contracts,

liked it that way. Probably thought of his final contract in football as semi-retirement anyway.

Must have been quite a popular bloke old Coco, with a certain type of modern-day lazy, greedy footballer.

No doubt in my mind who put him up for the interview. SACK THE BOARD ! SACK THE BOARD !

Perhaps Murphy would have been more prepared for life in this division, if his mate Keano had not turned the

training centre into a holiday camp, then again perhaps he, and some of the other players on big contracts,

liked it that way. Probably thought of his final contract in football as semi-retirement anyway.

Must have been quite a popular bloke old Coco, with a certain type of modern-day lazy, greedy footballer.

No doubt in my mind who put him up for the interview. SACK THE BOARD ! SACK THE BOARD !

I know plenty of pro's who don't feel they get enough from the training at the club and want to do more. They go out hire a decent coach and work on their faults. I'll wager most of the personalities we have at rovers would rather go KFC or sit at home bitching about how it's not there fault and they can't do anything about it. I'm not strong it's Coco's fault he should make me stronger, quitters and jokers.

The guy has spent the season strolling in the park for £35,000 p/w. He and his silly wife can kean off for all I care. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

more wedge in his bank than most fans earn in a lifetime let alone 12 months .

Guest Norbert

Yep. In one week he probably gets what I earn in 2 or more years. I don't really fancy working it out to be honest.

I know plenty of pro's who don't feel they get enough from the training at the club and want to do more. They go out hire a decent coach and work on their faults. I'll wager most of the personalities we have at rovers would rather go KFC or sit at home bitching about how it's not there fault and they can't do anything about it. I'm not strong it's Coco's fault he should make me stronger, quitters and jokers.

I don't think many Rovers fans would disagree with this post.

The issue for me is simple he clearly knows as he is he cannot cope with it and yet has done bugger all about it as he's gotten worse over the season. The excuses are unprofessional as a professional would try and rectify the situation. I'd love to know if Murphy's wife was as vocal on Twitter prior to his arrival? He's a bad egg along with several others within our squad and these are the ones that have to go, regardless of cost in the summer.

I believe she was but, of course, Danny was very well respected at Fulham and was playing well up to the end of last season. I can understand her defending her husband but it wasn't the wisest decision she will ever make.

I agree that he needed to adapt his game or be played in a different role. However, in every sporting career there comes a time when the body won't react and I wonder if this is the point that Murphy has now reached. Obviously, Maj, you will have a better idea than me on this. Also, do you believe we still have the necessary experience on the sports science side? Murphy really needs a role where his lack of pace is not an issue but I'm not sure such a role exists in Championship football. I've no doubt that he thought he would be able to hack it at this level quite easily but he hasn't. The trouble is how do you get rid of someone on a £35,000 a week contract that still has twelve months to run? I can't see any other club stumping up anything close to that and, in fairness, if I was in Murphy's shoes I would be happy to sit on the contract as this is probably going to signal the end of his playing career and the money will ensure his lifestyle doesn't alter when he walks away from the game.

As someone brought up watching Clayton, Douglas, Woods, McGrath and the rest I'm staggered that players with a fraction of their ability are now multi-millionaires. A sign of the times I suppose and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

I believe she was but, of course, Danny was very well respected at Fulham and was playing well up to the end of last season. I can understand her defending her husband but it wasn't the wisest decision she will ever make.

I agree that he needed to adapt his game or be played in a different role. However, in every sporting career there comes a time when the body won't react and I wonder if this is the point that Murphy has now reached. Obviously, Maj, you will have a better idea than me on this. Also, do you believe we still have the necessary experience on the sports science side? Murphy really needs a role where his lack of pace is not an issue but I'm not sure such a role exists in Championship football. I've no doubt that he thought he would be able to hack it at this level quite easily but he hasn't. The trouble is how do you get rid of someone on a £35,000 a week contract that still has twelve months to run? I can't see any other club stumping up anything close to that and, in fairness, if I was in Murphy's shoes I would be happy to sit on the contract as this is probably going to signal the end of his playing career and the money will ensure his lifestyle doesn't alter when he walks away from the game.

As someone brought up watching Clayton, Douglas, Woods, McGrath and the rest I'm staggered that players with a fraction of their ability are now multi-millionaires. A sign of the times I suppose and I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

If he has any decency he should retire gracefully at the end of the season.

He speaks very well and is clearly a reasonably intelligent bloke, should get plenty of work in the media, if he wants it.

Who cares what he says, bottom line is he is one of the worst signings ever and it will cost a couple of million to get shot of him. Let him appear on as many radio shows as he can so he might say something we can sack him for and save a fortune.

I know what I'd be telling my missus if she got public over my career.

Ryan Giggs seems to have had no issue coping with losing his legs neither did Sheringham. Quite simply footballers do not look after themselves as they should. I'm as old as Murphy and I don't do anything like the work the lads do and yet I sit at number 5 in the aerobic places, why? Between my ears is determination and I ran till I was Keaned and I mean keaned (I struggled to walk later on). If Murphy was a professional then I see no reason why he couldn't still be in shape.

Parson the one thing we lack on the sports science side is strong scientific knowledge. The Chris's are decent but only have undergrads and they can only take you so far. Every year over 300,000 journals are published, good and bad and we won't be up to date as I struggle to do so in both my main fields as that's some serious reading. So basically we're stuck within the knowledge of what they learnt on their degrees. The program at LJMU has changed massiveky since Rush's time and will continue to do so. We cannot keep up. For example I can make players fitter, work them harder than they currently do and they will feel less tired than when they work say at 10% less. No I won't explain how. But this is the rub go to europe and small clubs have labs they have a team of sports scientists researching new ways and methods to get the best out of the players. Rovers have great facilities but no lab and no real scientists IE PhD's and above. For me we really miss a trick here at Rovers, I've tried everything I can to get my point across to them but they don't get it or see the benfits. Far too many injuries as well this year that could have been avoided so I suppose for me the answer is no, definitly no.

Whatever Appleton was doing was working. Me I'd loan him out to Pune FC, mark one month ahead on the calender and wait for him to call offering to cancel his contract for free. He wouldn't hack it for long and the tweets would be quality.

You'll never persuade me there worth the money they earn, I'd cap salaries across the world in football at no more than 50K that's more than enough to live on the rest of your life. I'd also ban agents, if a player wants someone to help him move / negotiate he can pay him himself, the clubs shouldn't part with a penny.

Ryan Giggs seems to have had no issue coping with losing his legs neither did Sheringham. Quite simply footballers do not look after themselves as they should. I'm as old as Murphy and I don't do anything like the work the lads do and yet I sit at number 5 in the aerobic places, why? Between my ears is determination and I ran till I was Keaned and I mean keaned (I struggled to walk later on). If Murphy was a professional then I see no reason why he couldn't still be in shape.

Parson the one thing we lack on the sports science side is strong scientific knowledge. The Chris's are decent but only have undergrads and they can only take you so far. Every year over 300,000 journals are published, good and bad and we won't be up to date as I struggle to do so in both my main fields as that's some serious reading. So basically we're stuck within the knowledge of what they learnt on their degrees. The program at LJMU has changed massiveky since Rush's time and will continue to do so. We cannot keep up. For example I can make players fitter, work them harder than they currently do and they will feel less tired than when they work say at 10% less. No I won't explain how. But this is the rub go to europe and small clubs have labs they have a team of sports scientists researching new ways and methods to get the best out of the players. Rovers have great facilities but no lab and no real scientists IE PhD's and above. For me we really miss a trick here at Rovers, I've tried everything I can to get my point across to them but they don't get it or see the benfits. Far too many injuries as well this year that could have been avoided so I suppose for me the answer is no, definitly no.

Whatever Appleton was doing was working. Me I'd loan him out to Pune FC, mark one month ahead on the calender and wait for him to call offering to cancel his contract for free. He wouldn't hack it for long and the tweets would be quality.

You'll never persuade me there worth the money they earn, I'd cap salaries across the world in football at no more than 50K that's more than enough to live on the rest of your life. I'd also ban agents, if a player wants someone to help him move / negotiate he can pay him himself, the clubs shouldn't part with a penny.

Excellent post !

I just bet little ole Swansea have something like this model in place regarding the fitness levels.

• Backroom

Anyone who listened to his interview and gets angry really are moronic.

Every word he says is spot on. If that was a fan speaking we'd be praising him.

Anyone who purposely alludes to the fact that we were 2nd when Kean left, with the obvious subtext that is contained in such a comment, is certainly not spot on IMO. In fact they couldn't be further from the spot.

I just love these sports journos, (and I use that term very loosely when referring to a balloon like Jason Cundy and his talksport pals), who like to reference SK's record and league position this season. These are the very same people that harp on about how you can't judge Berg and Appleton's tenures because they weren't given enough time. "You can't judge a manager on just 10 games" they say. And they then proceed to go right ahead and make a judgement on SK based on 8 games. It's laughable.

You either can or can't judge a manager on 10 games, but what you can't do is pick and choose when to do it, depending on when it fits your agenda. And the defence that these people will no doubt give is that it's different, Berg and Appleton were new managers and needed time to settle it. Fine, I get that, so in that case just extend the time period in which to judge SK to cover more of his tenure, and I am sure the stats and figures will soon paint a picture. And it won't be one that shows what a great job Steve was doing as most of them seem to claim. Especially when you consider that 2 of those 8 games were against teams that look like being relegated now.

So do I think Danny Murphy was spot on? Yeah, I do, I think he was spot on with the way he handled his media pundit interview, he seems to fit right in with the Talksport team as he talks as much bollux as the rest of them.

Anyone who purposely alludes to the fact that we were 2nd when Kean left, with the obvious subtext that is contained in such a comment, is certainly not spot on IMO. In fact they couldn't be further from the spot.

I just love these sports journos, (and I use that term very loosely when referring to a balloon like Jason Cundy and his talksport pals), who like to reference SK's record and league position this season. These are the very same people that harp on about how you can't judge Berg and Appleton's tenures because they weren't given enough time. "You can't judge a manager on just 10 games" they say. And they then proceed to go right ahead and make a judgement on SK based on 8 games. It's laughable.

You either can or can't judge a manager on 10 games, but what you can't do is pick and choose when to do it, depending on when it fits your agenda. And the defence that these people will no doubt give is that it's different, Berg and Appleton were new managers and needed time to settle it. Fine, I get that, so in that case just extend the time period in which to judge SK to cover more of his tenure, and I am sure the stats and figures will soon paint a picture. And it won't be one that shows what a great job Steve was doing as most of them seem to claim. Especially when you consider that 2 of those 8 games were against teams that look like being relegated now.

So do I think Danny Murphy was spot on? Yeah, I do, I think he was spot on with the way he handled his media pundit interview, he seems to fit right in with the Talksport team as he talks as much bollux as the rest of them.

I am sick to death of hearing where we were in the league when Kean left, we were playing crap and he knew we

were fluking results, just like we all did. Leicester,Hull and Barnsley at home 9 points, most people, I remember at

time, thought we were lucky to get anything from those 3 games.

He picked his time to leave perfectly.

Thanks for that Maj. As informative as ever. I find it sad that the club aren't prepared to make use of the scientific knowledge out there. Twenty or thirty years ago I might have understood it but not in this day and age. I remember reading an interview with Allardyce years ago, when he was at Bolton, saying that the time he spent playing in America had opened his eyes to player preparation with regard to the sport science side of things and that he was in awe of what the NFL teams were doing in that area.

It's staggering from what you say that a professional club should take such a blinkered view of sports science. I know many made fun of the number of backroom support staff that Sam employed but what he did at Bolton and, to a certain extent, at the Rovers with ageing players suggests that in many ways he was on the right path.

When you look at what we are paying average players in terms of wages it really does seem a false economy.

• Backroom

I am sick to death of hearing where we were in the league when Kean left, we were playing crap and he knew we

were fluking results, just like we all did. Leicester,Hull and Barnsley at home 9 points, most people, I remember at

time, thought we were lucky to get anything from those 3 games.

He picked his time to leave perfectly.

Me too. It's such a stupid time of the season to try and judge anything, and proper football people should know that.

Weren't Blackpool still in a Champions League spot at the end of Sep or something like that. And then ended up getting relegated.

Nobody even acknowledges the table in a serious fashion for the first few months. Unless in this instance when it's a great tagline for people to add to their digs about Rovers fans. I just laugh at anyone who says it now, as all they are really saying to me is "I'm clueless about football. " So, I just leave them to their ignorance.

Thanks for that Maj. As informative as ever. I find it sad that the club aren't prepared to make use of the scientific knowledge out there. Twenty or thirty years ago I might have understood it but not in this day and age. I remember reading an interview with Allardyce years ago, when he was at Bolton, saying that the time he spent playing in America had opened his eyes to player preparation with regard to the sport science side of things and that he was in awe of what the NFL teams were doing in that area.

It's staggering from what you say that a professional club should take such a blinkered view of sports science. I know many made fun of the number of backroom support staff that Sam employed but what he did at Bolton and, to a certain extent, at the Rovers with ageing players suggests that in many ways he was on the right path.

When you look at what we are paying average players in terms of wages it really does seem a false economy.

The one thing that really appeals about the MLS is that when it comes to training the load etc etc one mad rules and that is not the manager.

Its the Science Nerd.

They may not be able to play but physically they are very very fit in most of their sports.

One of the issues surrounding it all is definitly education and football has even called for us to write in simple english as they can't understand whats written.

PS just so you know everyone Sam had at Bolton was from LJMU.

Me too. It's such a stupid time of the season to try and judge anything, and proper football people should know that.

Weren't Blackpool still in a Champions League spot at the end of Sep or something like that. And then ended up getting relegated.

Nobody even acknowledges the table in a serious fashion for the first few months. Unless in this instance when it's a great tagline for people to add to their digs about Rovers fans. I just laugh at anyone who says it now, as all they are really saying to me is "I'm clueless about football. " So, I just leave them to their ignorance.

Thats because you are ignoring the main part of the statement, either purposely or otherwise.

No one is trying to judge anything. Kean accumulated 13 or 14 points in 7 games.

Now no one is saying that he could have continued that, I personally don't think he could have. No one is saying he was a good manager, looking at his overall record tells you everything. No one is saying we would have been promoted under him, as that would be stupid.

Steve Kean is a terrible manager, however NO ONE has said otherwise. Whether by fluke, luck, whatever, we got a large quantity of points in a short space which gave us a buffer ahead of the bottom 3 early on. Looking back, them points have proved to be crucial.

If your theory as to why we got them points was that we were lucky with referees, we were feared by our naive opponents, we had easy fixtures v off form team, whatever it is, and some have more credence than others, that is a fair opinion. But you cannot deny that the large number of points from the first 7 games are crucial in our survival. Just like you can't argue Kean got us here in the first place.

People are twisting the point now in my opinion to suggest that people are sticking up for Kean when they are not.

Also regarding Murphy, I thought he came across quite while. I am not one to get worked up by what players say, but he spoke with a lot of sense and there is no need for a pitchfork mentality.

I think he has been very poor this season. As have most of our players. And wages are completely irrelevant in that argument. I think he is no longer capable, although maybe we should have played him amongst a 3, rather than in a 2.

Well if you say that, then I feel even more justified in my comments now.

Thanks

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Manage to stop tossing off in the mirror long enough to post a reply? What exactly is it that he says that you disagree with? Try and answer without slipping in the fact that you're a coach.

Archived