BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

I'm not looking for fault Rev. Someone posted that signing Rhodes was a success. I'm saying that for that kind of money - a total outlay of what : 12m or more, the owners will have expected it to have had a big influence on results. In that respect, it has so far,failed. No one can really say otherwise, can they?

That's all.

So now you're blaming last seasons poor results on Rhodes?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's equally fair to say that's not Rhodes' fault. He did his bit, the other players didn't do theirs.

I could understand yours and jimmy's argument if spending 8m on Rhodes last season meant that no money was spent elsewhere on the squad causing it to fail. But that wasn't the case, we spent megabucks by Championship standards on former Premiership players Murphy Etuhu and Best and former international Gomes plus various others. We were good to go then Best got injured preseason and allegedly Kean was after Simon Cox but seemingly Shebby persuaded the owners to push the boat out for Rhodes instead.

Maybe it was thought he would be the cherry on top of the cake that would push us to promotion and indeed he was that cherry. Trouble was, there was no cake. It wasn't for want of lashing money out trying to purchase all the most expensive ingredients though.

Yep. No cake, too many ( traineee) cooks and ...rather oddly....a large troop of clowns.

Somewhere,in a parallel universe, there must be an expensive circus with a team of cordon bleu chefs but not a red nose in sight.

This time last year most of us had no idea how little Murphy and Etuhu would contribute, but none of us were paid to do the assessment and research around their contribution and fitness over previous seasons etc.

As for the Portuguese purchases, I just wonder who profited financially within the club, as well as outside it.

It's weird, really. I keep thinking back to Jim Smith's team, where we had everything but the goal-scoring centre forward. Last year, we managed it the other way round..

Anyway, I still say I would like to see Jordan perform in a balanced,,functional Rovers team. Some on here might be pleasantly surprised...

Yes, but but if you're accepting that Rhodes did everything that could reasonably be asked of him, then by definition the fault must lie elsewhere.

I would suggest that if you're going to pay £8m for a striker I would expect his all round ability to be far better than what it is, particularly as he isn't even playing in the top league in England. He cant play back to goal, can't run the channels, he's slow and his touch is occasionally hit and usually miss.

There are as many flaws in Jordan Rhodes game as there are strengths, as witnessed by his disappearing act in the opening three games of the season.

I think it's far too late in the window to even consider selling Rhodes now. We haven't got time to adequately replace his goals, and certainly do not have anyone in the squad fit to replace him. But could you not entertain the fact that if we got our £8m back and put it back into the squad we could be a stronger outfit? I'm almost sure we could! Or would you not trust Bowyer with the money (genuine question)

I'm not looking for fault Rev. Someone posted that signing Rhodes was a success. I'm saying that for that kind of money - a total outlay of what : 12m or more, the owners will have expected it to have had a big influence on results. In that respect, it has so far,failed. No one can really say otherwise, can they?

That's all.

Difficult to say unless you can prove results would have not been significantly worse with Best, DJ or A.N. Other up front.

From what I"ve seen of Best and D.J. thus far, I think they would have been.

I would suggest that if you're going to pay £8m for a striker I would expect his all round ability to be far better than what it is, particularly as he isn't even playing in the top league in England. He cant play back to goal, can't run the channels, he's slow and his touch is occasionally hit and usually miss.

There are as many flaws in Jordan Rhodes game as there are strengths, as witnessed by his disappearing act in the opening three games of the season.

I think it's far too late in the window to even consider selling Rhodes now. We haven't got time to adequately replace his goals, and certainly do not have anyone in the squad fit to replace him. But could you not entertain the fact that if we got our £8m back and put it back into the squad we could be a stronger outfit? I'm almost sure we could! Or would you not trust Bowyer with the money (genuine question)

Yes I would trust Bowyer to spend any monies available properly. No worries there.

However we already have around 50 players on the books and the potential worry already is too much quantity and not enough quality. We need to mould the players we already have into an effective team unit imo. The last thing we need to do is bring in another 3 or 4 players no better than the one's we've got.

Where do I start?.... there's been so many from the venkymob and their lapdog Kean. How about this for starters...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/8201301/Blackburn-Rovers-owner-Anuradha-Desai-watches-cricket-hockey-sometimes-but-never-football.html

Bearing in mind that I am not as gullible as you which are the worst lies that you recall ES?

btw I'm sure there is a catalogue of em on here somewhere.

Well thanks for the response Gordon ... but you haven't really answered my question.

I asked which of our owners lies you thought was the worst. You have pointed me to an article which contains a number of quotes from one of our owners. I presume the answer I am looking for is amongst them ... but it isn't obvious to me. To help you, and make things really simple, I have listed all the quotes from the article, and numbered them. All you need to do is quote the number. Thanks in advance

1) “But I told [club executives] that by the time of their next visit, I would know the basics of the game.”

2) “We want good football and Blackburn to be fourth or fifth in the league or even better,”

3) “The fans should trust us because this is in the best interests of the club.”

4) “I had never watched a single football match in my life [before buying Blackburn]. Cricket, yes; hockey, sometimes; but never football”

5) “Every time you spend a few minutes to listen to somebody who has a problem, you have earned yourself a relationship for life. That person is bound to go back with the conviction that somebody cares about them and will do their best for you every time.”

6) “Father constantly told us complacency is the worst thing to happen to anyone"

Yes I would trust Bowyer to spend any monies available properly. No worries there.

However we already have around 50 players on the books and the potential worry already is too much quantity and not enough quality. We need to mould the players we already have into an effective team unit imo. The last thing we need to do is bring in another 3 or 4 players no better than the one's we've got.

That not a contradiction? :blink:

Moulding the current crop into an effective unit imo would bring us 10th as a highest possible finish. Perhaps I'm wrong, and they'll surprise me and make the play-offs. An injection of 3 quality players might just make a difference, particularly if we can get Rochina fit and playing. He could be absolutely key in a good side.

Just out of interest Rev, I'd find it beneficial if someone could kindly take the time to name our 50 odd players currently on the books and where we are up to with them. I've got to say I've both lost count and feel totally out of touch.

Well thanks for the response Gordon ... but you haven't really answered my question.

I asked which of our owners lies you thought was the worst. You have pointed me to an article which contains a number of quotes from one of our owners. I presume the answer I am looking for is amongst them ... but it isn't obvious to me. To help you, and make things really simple, I have listed all the quotes from the article, and numbered them. All you need to do is quote the number. Thanks in advance

1) “But I told [club executives] that by the time of their next visit, I would know the basics of the game.”

2) “We want good football and Blackburn to be fourth or fifth in the league or even better,”

3) “The fans should trust us because this is in the best interests of the club.”

4) “I had never watched a single football match in my life [before buying Blackburn]. Cricket, yes; hockey, sometimes; but never football”

5) “Every time you spend a few minutes to listen to somebody who has a problem, you have earned yourself a relationship for life. That person is bound to go back with the conviction that somebody cares about them and will do their best for you every time.”

6) “Father constantly told us complacency is the worst thing to happen to anyone"

7) and less than a week after assuring fans Allardyce retained the full support ofBlackburn's new power brokers, the 56 year-old was out of a job.

Just out of interest Rev, I'd find it beneficial if someone could kindly take the time to name our 50 odd players currently on the books and where we are up to with them. I've got to say I've both lost count and feel totally out of touch.

It's actually nearer to 30 including Orr and Anthony O'Connor, Raheem Hanley, Fabio Nunes and John O'Sullivan. Are they considered first team?

8. Allardyce should have learned to be a diplomat and that it doesn't always take a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Why's that then? It wouldn't have helped him - it was known to everyone in football that we was out and Kean was in. Just ask Andy Cole

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/sport-comment/steve-kean-can-do-job-at-blackburn

Infact - everyone read that. It's absolutely @#/? criminal. What a slimy @#/? manipulative @#/? he was - turning up to work every day knowing that he was about to stab the man that had given him a job straight in the back.

The fact that Sam is now a success at an established PL club moving forward and Kean is whoring himself out to anyone that will listen is quite apt.

It's actually nearer to 30 including Orr and Anthony O'Connor, Raheem Hanley, Fabio Nunes and John O'Sullivan. Are they considered first team?

Hey Jimmy, I'm buggered if I know, hence the question. Do we still employ half of the previously unemployed of Porto and Lisbon for example?

Chaddy, over to you, the trusted 'Rovers Oracle'.......

Why's that then? It wouldn't have helped him - it was known to everyone in football that we was out and Kean was in. Just ask Andy Cole

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/sport-comment/steve-kean-can-do-job-at-blackburn

Andy Cole's in your confidence is he? Give me a break!

Hey Jimmy, I'm buggered if I know, hence the question. Do we still employ half of the previously unemployed of Porto and Lisbon for example?

Chaddy, over to you, the trusted 'Rovers Oracle'.......

Andy Cole's in your confidence is he? Give me a break!

Oh so you believe Allardyce was sacked for footballing reasons do you? It was obvious for all to see that Kean got that job because that snake of an agent wormed his way in.

7) and less than a week after assuring fans Allardyce retained the full support ofBlackburn's new power brokers, the 56 year-old was out of a job.

Now don't try to confuse the issue with an unsupported statement. Even if the article contained a quote to that effect, my question was very specific and I'm sure even Gordon isn't naive enough to take the old "vote of confidence from the board" line to seriously ... I mean if every fan in the country refused to attend matches over that moral stance then grounds up-and-down the country would be a 'human free zone'.

Now don't try to confuse the issue with an unsupported statement. Even if the article contained a quote to that effect, my question was very specific and I'm sure even Gordon isn't naive enough to take the old "vote of confidence from the board" line to seriously ... I mean if every fan in the country refused to attend matches over that moral stance then grounds up-and-down the country would be a 'human free zone'.

Apologies -- I didn't know such firm parameters had been set in this messageboard based discussion.

Just so that I can understand when watching out for future posts, are you generally pleased with Venkys reign so far and feel that any skepticism of their ownership is uncalled for or have I caught you at a bad time?

I would be very surprised if you felt that the last 3 years had been anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Oh so you believe Allardyce was sacked for footballing reasons do you? It was obvious for all to see that Kean got that job because that snake of an agent wormed his way in.

Did I say Allardyce was sacked for footballing reasons? I think not to save you the trouble. I suggest you re-read what I said.

Move on, it's bloody history, to keep harping on about it achieves nothing.

I thought this was the Jordan Rhodes topic not the Allardyce sacking or Venkys ownership topic.

seems to have gone way off topic

Chaddy you're dead right, apologies but I got sucked in.

For what it's worth, I now think Rhodes will still be with us come Sept 3rd (sorry Mercer) unless there is a silly Premier League offer at the eleventh hour.

Regards tomorrow, Come on Rovers!!

Apologies -- I didn't know such firm parameters had been set in this messageboard based discussion.

No problem at all .... we all get carried away from time to time ... Apology accepted.

All scored over 22 (if memory serves me correct) goals in the Championship. Brackets represents age at time of purchase etc.

Glen Murray – free (29)

Charlie Austin – Undisclosed (21)

Marlon King - 500,000 (24)

Rickie Lambert - 1million (27)

Grant Holt – Undisclosed (27)

Kevin Doyle – £117,000 (21)

Jamie Cureton – Free (30)

Michael Chopra - £500,000 (23)

Kevin Philips - £350,000 (23)

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake – 1.5million (22)

Jason Scotland – 25,000 (28)

Ross McCormack – Free (21)

Nicky Maynard - £2.25m (21)

Shane Long – Free (18)

Danny Graham - £200,000 (23)

Scott Sinclair – 500,000 (rising to £1m)

Ricardo Vaz te – Undisclosed (25)

Jordan Rhodes- £8million (22)

I think Rhodes is a special player at this level. The above list is a bit misleading in my opinion; most of them only ever scored 20 or more once (in fact, some of them never scored more than 20!)

So, only four of these players have scored 20 or more goals more than once (at either Championship or League One level). The two stand-outs are Kevin Phillips who had 3 great years in the late 90s but only scored over 20 one more time late in his career and Rickie Lambert who was prolific for 4 seasons at this level.

The other two are Murray and Rhodes. Then again, Murray only scored 6 in 37 games in 2011-12. Whichever way you look at it, Rhodes has a much better record than all the rest and I am backing him to get over 20 this season too.

PS Jimmy - I realise that this is not the point you were making but I just wanted to point out that consistent goalscorers are not 10 a penny.

If a Championship club pays £8m for a player, it's in the belief that he will make a huge difference to the teams results. They wouldn't pay that money otherwise. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Raos believed that he would take us back to the PL. we got nowhere near to that, so for rovers the club, the plan didn't work. So far, it's been a failure. For Rhodes personally he's been successful, but we didn't buy for that reason.

I think that's fair, don't you?

If Rhodes was in fact bought to fire us to the premiership last season then yes that plan failed, but that wasn't Rhodes fault.

The truth of the matter is that Rhodes fired us to championship safety, exactly the opposite of what the confused 2 in Pune actaully predicted or wanted, which speaks volumes :glare:

Thick as 2 short planks :angry2:

Which is all I said.

You know what den, imo they bought him to make a quick quid, they couldn't careless if we went up or not, the clocks ticking on that one, lets see what happens.

You know what den, imo they bought him to make a quick quid, they couldn't careless if we went up or not, the clocks ticking on that one, lets see what happens.

Sorry Gav - the only way they make money out of Rhodes is if we get promoted - otherwise any limited transfer profit (esp with Huddersfield sell on clause) gets swallowed by his wages and the money Rovers is losing.

Sorry Gav - the only way they make money out of Rhodes is if we get promoted - otherwise any limited transfer profit (esp with Huddersfield sell on clause) gets swallowed by his wages and the money Rovers is losing.

Thats far to sensible for the confused 2 DMTP, its not beyond the realms of possibility that they've been sold another 'dream' thats gone west!

It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to pay all that cash for Rhodes, have rookie managers and average players around him, then again to those 2 clowns in Pune it probably made all the sense in the world :wacko:

Archived