BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Forest Saturday 10th August 3pm Kick Off

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly talk surrounding Rhodes, the lads a natural goalscorer who almost singlehandedly kept us up last season, it's the managers job get the most out of him.

Correct. There was one move in the second half were him and Best did actually link up for once but the pass in front of Rhodes was just a touch to heavy and the keeper got there first. A foot shorter on the through ball and Rhodes would have been clean through and would almost certainly have scored and we would all be singing his praises again.

Correct. There was one move in the second half were him and Best did actually link up for once but the pass in front of Rhodes was just a touch to heavy and the keeper got there first. A foot shorter on the through ball and Rhodes would have been clean through and would almost certainly have scored and we would all be singing his praises again.

Totally missing the point - as many have. Rhodes will score goals. Unfortunately the team hasn't done.

Totally missing the point - as many have. Rhodes will score goals. Unfortunately the team hasn't done.

My point with Rhodes though is the fact he converts a very high percentage of the very few chances that he has got up to now. That's what makes him stand out and why he is so valuable to Rovers at the min because we create jack all but if he gets one chance in a game he will likely score. Would people prefer someone like a Matt Derbyshire type who is quicker and runs the channels and will get a few goals ? Or stick with JR because no matter how crap the team is he will score. We would need about 3 quaility players to vastly improve our team NOT just another striker who may contribute ten goals.

Correct. No-one's said otherwise.

I do understand what your saying Den but i think we all know that if Rhodes is sold Bowyer would likely not get much of it to do his stuff, probably bring one player in on loan or something so the team wouldn't really improve. Im just of the opinion we should fight tooth and nail to hang on to Rhodes. Him and Best don't quite gel but there have been one or two signs in the last couple of games. For me Rhodes should play off Best but they seem to take up positions the opposite way. I'd sell Best tomorrow for a decent fee.

Went to the game and have read and waited to make my view on the game.

I am not getting on the Anti Lowe wagon BUT he was bloody awful in the middle alongside Marrow. Between them they cant pass, head or tackle and give far too much possession to the opposition. Neither is capable of outing a decent pass in and neither bring a goal threat or a threat of a decent killer pass to the forwards.

We were very limited going forward and needed a link man and supply line. GB has to address this fact.

We cant legislate for a mistake like Kean made so hey ho we win some we lose some.

We have to start games with a plan A, have a plan B and C as well as a supply line to the forwards.

4-4-2 does concern me these days. Our fans seem to have been utterly obsessed with it for years and used it as a stick to beat Allardyce with regularly. But its weaknesses against 4-5-1 are obvious. 4-4-2 gives you a stronger attack but as you can't control the midfield, you can't make use of your attack. Apart from going wide or using the long-ball option.

We went long ball against Derby when Best came on and it worked because he won a lot of headers. Against Forest our strikers were dominated in that area.

On Saturday I think Bowyer was trying to go down the flanks. Problem with that is the wingers must be able to beat their man and put a decent cross in for it to work, and not many wingers can do that full stop in football these days. A combination of quicker full-backs and relentless shirt-pulling means its a lot harder to take someone on and get a good cross in than it was back when Ripley and Wilcox were firing in a steady supply. If that's our tactic I still think King is a better option than Judge. At least then we'd have a guy who can take players on but can't cross on one wing (King) and a guy who can cross but can't take players on on the other (Taylor). Between them they might manage to produce enough. I'm not convinced Judge can do either, he's certainly busy, but busy doesn't equal going past players or creating chances.

I have just watched the full 90 mins on rovers player as I could not be at the match on Saturday.

Thought defensively we were very good. Forest barely got behind our back 4 and their attacks consisted of getting it out wide and putting crosses into the box. They didn't seem to have much creativity at all which was surprising and our defenders easily dealt with their crosses into our box.

First half, they passed it around better than us. Seconds half, we passes it better than them. We lacked a lot of creativity as well but we were missing two of our most creative players - rochina and Cairney.

Felt we played too many long balls in the first half which meant we couldn't build any attacks. Second half we passed it a lot better and looked far more threatening. Also lacked composure in the middle of the park to pick out a killer ball. It went backwards a few times where it could have gone forward.

Overall, was very disappointed with forest actually. Really one dimensional and got lucky with the goal. They definitely need a few more creatively players and a pacy winger. We looked ok, the same as forest, but lacking in a creative sense and options on the bench. That was largely down to injuries tho. We had 3 key central midfielders out plus two strikers.

It's bizarre to me, to think the team would be better off without the guy who scored 27 goals or whatever it was last season. Do you think that if we replaced him with a striker that gets say 10-15 goals a season, which is standard, do you really think we could get someone with enough all round play to bring an additional 12-17 goals to the side on top of his own tally? Or more, actually, for him to improve the team. Having a better hold up forward up there won't stop us being garbage at creating chances. The centre of midfield is the problem.

• Backroom

I have just watched the full 90 mins on rovers player as I could not be at the match on Saturday.

Thought defensively we were very good. Forest barely got behind our back 4 and their attacks consisted of getting it out wide and putting crosses into the box. They didn't seem to have much creativity at all which was surprising and our defenders easily dealt with their crosses into our box.

First half, they passed it around better than us. Seconds half, we passes it better than them. We lacked a lot of creativity as well but we were missing two of our most creative players - rochina and Cairney.

Felt we played too many long balls in the first half which meant we couldn't build any attacks. Second half we passed it a lot better and looked far more threatening. Also lacked composure in the middle of the park to pick out a killer ball. It went backwards a few times where it could have gone forward.

Overall, was very disappointed with forest actually. Really one dimensional and got lucky with the goal. They definitely need a few more creatively players and a pacy winger. We looked ok, the same as forest, but lacking in a creative sense and options on the bench. That was largely down to injuries tho. We had 3 key central midfielders out plus two strikers.

An eloquent summary of my feelings on the game. I still say that if Forest are promotion faves then we haven't much improving to do ourselves to get a playoff place.

An eloquent summary of my feelings on the game. I still say that if Forest are promotion faves then we haven't much improving to do ourselves to get a playoff place.

I don't really get the hype around forest. They are a tough team to beat and have a good manager but have they improved their side dramatically from last season? They've lost Sharp and brought in Mackie. Their strike force of Henderson, Mackie, Derbyshire and Cox is ok but not exactly inspiring.

My fear for them is that I don't think they have enough goals in them. If they go 1-0 down in a game then I think they struggle to turn that around.

In saying that, think they'll get top 6 and the fact we matched them the whole of the match with some key players out is a promising sign.

It's bizarre to me, to think the team would be better off without the guy who scored 27 goals or whatever it was last season. Do you think that if we replaced him with a striker that gets say 10-15 goals a season, which is standard, do you really think we could get someone with enough all round play to bring an additional 12-17 goals to the side on top of his own tally? Or more, actually, for him to improve the team. Having a better hold up forward up there won't stop us being garbage at creating chances. The centre of midfield is the problem.

Happy to accept the vast majority have a different view. After all, you aren't going to win any popularity polls by suggesting you sell your top goalscorer. That's the only way I can see that the money necessary to improve the team can be found.

It's done to death now, so I declare.

Well it might only be 3 games in but our babes in the woodlands completely yielded to the diminishing eyesight and sagging flesh of some of the Forests seasoned rangers. For one the pot-bellied stroller Andy Reid cherished the ball whereas Lowe, Marrow and Taylor cacked their pants every time any invention was required. :rolleyes:

What's more the sharpen-elbowed figure of mediocre yeoman Darius Henderson schooled our "strike force" in the art of making the best of service that could only be described as meagre.

Quite how Marmite Pedersen was deemed a remainder in the haplessly bleak equation of this fixture whilst the likes of Kane, Judge, his "midfield" contemporaries and even the forlorn Rhodes were allowed to stain the game with their efforts is puzzling. Possession was tossed away like Halloween Candy and one would wager that Stevie Wonder would have made a greater impact in our midfield than some of our one-dimensional chumps. Jake Keans untimely ham-fisted mishap merely underlined the pitfalls of an exceptionally callow group

The ingredients have been bunged into the melting pot and although the outcome appears to be somewhat less toxic than last season, it is going to be a struggle of baneful proportions.

The bottom line is that the Venkymob couldn't organise a rave in a pill factory and with Shabby loitering with likely ruinous intent the product on the pitch will further suffer if he re-emerges. I'd love to be bubbling with that new season optimism. This however currently reeks of pre-season 2 summers back when many were convinced that the wholly regrettable acquisitions of Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Ribeiro would take on mythical properties and have us digging the passports out for a European odyssey.... and we all know how that ended. We were promised Gwyneth Paltrow and got Beth Ditto

My last remaining hope is that the deceptively ebullient Gary Bowyers attempts to make a thriving team the main focus for the first time in 3 truly appalling years at Ewood are successful. One things certain and thats the feeling that he is the most trustworthy man of BRFC denouncement to open his mouth since JW and TF saw the iceberg and departed unscathed

Well it might only be 3 games in but our babes in the woodlands completely yielded to the diminishing eyesight and sagging flesh of some of the Forests seasoned rangers. For one the pot-bellied stroller Andy Reid cherished the ball whereas Lowe, Marrow and Taylor cacked their pants every time any invention was required. :rolleyes:

What's more the sharpen-elbowed figure of mediocre yeoman Darius Henderson schooled our "strike force" in the art of making the best of service that could only be described as meagre.

Quite how Marmite Pedersen was deemed a remainder in the haplessly bleak equation of this fixture whilst the likes of Kane, Judge, his "midfield" contemporaries and even the forlorn Rhodes were allowed to stain the game with their efforts is puzzling. Possession was tossed away like Halloween Candy and one would wager that Stevie Wonder would have made a greater impact in our midfield than some of our one-dimensional chumps. Jake Keans untimely ham-fisted mishap merely underlined the pitfalls of an exceptionally callow group

The ingredients have been bunged into the melting pot and although the outcome appears to be somewhat less toxic than last season, it is going to be a struggle of baneful proportions.

The bottom line is that the Venkymob couldn't organise a rave in a pill factory and with Shabby loitering with likely ruinous intent the product on the pitch will further suffer if he re-emerges. I'd love to be bubbling with that new season optimism. This however currently reeks of pre-season 2 summers back when many were convinced that the wholly regrettable acquisitions of Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie and Ribeiro would take on mythical properties and have us digging the passports out for a European odyssey.... and we all know how that ended. We were promised Gwyneth Paltrow and got Beth Ditto

My last remaining hope is that the deceptively ebullient Gary Bowyers attempts to make a thriving team the main focus for the first time in 3 truly appalling years at Ewood are successful. One things certain and thats the feeling that he is the most trustworthy man of BRFC denouncement to open his mouth since JW and TF saw the iceberg and departed unscathed

Where's the applause smiley gone?

I agree with your analysis and points about Gary Bowyer are spot on ...

But there are 2 fixtures coming up in the next month , that will be pivotal to Gary Bowyers tenure especially if the odious Singh resurfaces ...

Bolton at Home and Burnley Away ...

Lose those 2 and we may well have a vacancy again ...

Fridays game at Doncaster and then Barnsley take on extra significance , we need at least 4 points if not 6 ..

I know he isn't exactly flavour of the month, but this reminded me of a typical Stuart Hall post match summary on radio 5 back in the day!

Archived