BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Forest Saturday 10th August 3pm Kick Off

Robinson would be the starter for me Aggy. He's certainly not error free by any means, but he is the better keeper.

Bowyer is going to have to see how he performs when he comes back. We don't know how his operation will have affected his mobility or confidence.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes think we fans don't watch the same game.

And Rhodes should NOT be expected to come deep. If we do then we may as well not have him at the club.

What we need is a decent midfield. We need a play maker and a leader. Right now I'd settle for one or the other but we need both.

Agree with all of that Stuart.

Bowyer is going to have to see how he performs when he comes back. We don't know how his operation will have affected his mobility or confidence.

I don't think Robinson will get that Opportunity Aggy. Wages too high.

And Rhodes should NOT be expected to come deep. If we do then we may as well not have him at the club.

What we need is a decent midfield. We need a play maker and a leader. Right now I'd settle for one or the other but we need both.

Finally, a man on here who speaks my language. Think the play maker duties have been entrusted to Cairney now Rochina is out but it would be nice to have Benayoun like player here.

A LEADER, something that has been missing since we passed up the option to buy Jermaine Jones some seasons ago. We're desperate in that respect but no one springs to mind.

Still, the midfield is costing us points. Doesn't support the forwards well enough and doesn't protect the back 4 well enough. It's that simple. Address these issues and we might do alright this season.

The new signing's (whom so far have been our better players) got nowhere near a full pre-season with us, we need to be a little patient.

Granted there are a few areas for concern, but not the mass over-reaction of some on here.

Yes I think you're right, I was rather optimistic after the 1st half performance at Derby but we looked a long way short yesterday.

Hopefully we'll see continued improvement over the coming weeks.

Is it just me who doesn't think it was just an individual error?

We have a team who are terrible at reacting to danger especially our centre backs.

Our reading of the lofted ball yesterday was terrible and the defence was all over the place - and to me Dann should have been reactive and if alive to the situation would have probably won the 'dropped' ball or at least stopped the player from making the pass, but he just stood there.

The ball was there to be challenged for by Kean - unfortunately he collided with a player.

As for Rhodes, as I said last season he cannot play the lone figure as he is not strong enough or football gifted and needs the support - this is the reason why he will probably still be with us this season - not good enough for the Premiership and nobody except QPR can afford him or what we would ask for him ( and who have just bought what I consider the better player of the 2) in this division.

• Backroom

Imo GB probably didn't think there was too much wrong. It was a dull game which neither side really deserved to win but I thought we were marginally the better of the two sides until Kean's clanger.

It was probably one of those games where the result is everything. If we'd got an undeserved injury time winner everyone would probably be viewing it as a fairly solid performance and a good day's work. Even if it had finished 0-0 as it should have done people would probably be viewing the game and performance a lot more favourably.

At 0-0 GB probably didn't want to fix what wasn 't really broke. By the time we conceded which was not really forseeable it was too late to do anything else.

I can only speak for myself but I was not happy with the performance on 90 mins and even less so when they scored. I thought we needed fresh legs from around 60 mins onwards (well, I just wanted Lowe and Marrow off the pitch tbh) and the lack of subs or desire to change the formation to try and win the game left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Reminded me of a certain bald cretin. I like GB and he's shown good tactical nous in the past, which adds to the frustration. If we're aiming for draws at home against anybody in this division then we're in trouble. We should always be setting out to win our home matches.

Completely disagree! Of course he should! Best can provide an outlet by holding the ball up whilst it's obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Jordan Rhodes is just a push over for every centre half over 11 and a half stone wet through, not only that but Rhodes is too slow to chase a long ball out of defence down the channels and toward either corner flag. Quite simply Rhodes is not equipped to either play up top on his own or tart line. Common sense dictates that he should drop deep and Best must stay up.

Our reading of the lofted ball yesterday was terrible and the defence was all over the place - and to me Dann should have been reactive and if alive to the situation would have probably won the 'dropped' ball or at least stopped the player from making the pass, but he just stood there.

Indeed so. Not long before that our centre halves were caught out by a long ale house ball from the keeper which reached Derbyshire and left him clean through on goal. Only a poor touch prevented a goal then. Long balls should be meat and drink to Dann and Handley if one was concentrating fully and the other not looking to pick fights with all and sundry.

There is only Rovers fans who don't rate Rhodes...

I find it really bizarre.

Never said I don't rate him. Where did you get that from. Saying he needs to drop deep sometimes is what I said. Notice a lot of your comments are putting a spin on what others say. You'd make a great journo.

Why is it bizarre to expect your centre-forward to be able to hold the ball up, bring others into the game and work the channels? Are we really saying that we only expect him to stay in the opposition area and do nothing more than that? I look back at the main goalscorers in my time watching the Rovers and Fred Pickering, Andy McEvoy, Tony Field, Simon Garner, Speedie, Newell, Shearer etc. could all do these things and more as second nature. McEvoy and Garner were poachers but on occasion could play in midfield. Rhodes is excellent at finishing if people supply him but the centre-forward has to be able to do more than that, particularly at a club like the Rovers were we just haven't got the squad that will create the chances for him. He needs to create more for himself. It's not a question of not rating him it's a question of him developing a better all round game than he has at present.

Why is it bizarre to expect your centre-forward to be able to hold the ball up, bring others into the game and work the channels? Are we really saying that we only expect him to stay in the opposition area and do nothing more than that? I look back at the main goalscorers in my time watching the Rovers and Fred Pickering, Andy McEvoy, Tony Field, Simon Garner, Speedie, Newell, Shearer etc. could all do these things and more as second nature. McEvoy and Garner were poachers but on occasion could play in midfield. Rhodes is excellent at finishing if people supply him but the centre-forward has to be able to do more than that, particularly at a club like the Rovers were we just haven't got the squad that will create the chances for him. He needs to create more for himself. It's not a question of not rating him it's a question of him developing a better all round game than he has at present.

Spot on Parson. Might sound daft but imo Rhodes is much better on paper than he is on the pitch. In fact it does sound daft.... :wacko: ... but it's about right. :rover:

There is only Rovers fans who don't rate Rhodes...

I find it really bizarre.

I don't rate him as a footballer Stuart, - don't think anyone does. In front of goal he's in his own mould, but Slowly fans will/ are starting to see that his deficiencies do restrict the team every time he plays. That's just a simple fact.

Absolutely.

I think Rhodes would benefit from a coach / manager having played a similar role themselves.

You could imagine how much Kenny would have brought Rhodes on.

Think wee Dougie would make Rhodes some player.

Never said I don't rate him. Where did you get that from. Saying he needs to drop deep sometimes is what I said. Notice a lot of your comments are putting a spin on what others say. You'd make a great journo.

Thanks. :tu:

Sometimes I read a lot of comments and make a point using one post. Doesn't always mean that I'm have a go at someone in particular.

But you don't think he does enough. So I think you under rate him. Or don't rate him [highly enough].

There have been plenty of posts saying we should even try to sell him because we would be a better team without him. That's where my comments stem from.

Heaven help us if he has a lean spell for 10 games...

Finally, a man on here who speaks my language. Think the play maker duties have been entrusted to Cairney now Rochina is out but it would be nice to have Benayoun like player here.

A LEADER, something that has been missing since we passed up the option to buy Jermaine Jones some seasons ago. We're desperate in that respect but no one springs to mind.

Still, the midfield is costing us points. Doesn't support the forwards well enough and doesn't protect the back 4 well enough. It's that simple. Address these issues and we might do alright this season.

That's my view as well. We can't play 4-4-2 with our current midfield, we leave to many gaps for our opponents

to play through. We've got to chose one of Best or Rhodes to play up front, not an easy decision given their current form.

Archived