BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Bolton - by m1st :)

cn174

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

It's been £15 for the last few years against these hasn't it. Shame it's changed this year. Bearing in mind our poor record at home to them I reckon it'll be 1-1.

Yeah, no doubt we'll have a similar charge when we have to go to the breeze block.

Fantastic preview m1st.

Yet another crucial game and so early in the season.

Will it be with or without Rhodes? Hopefully with!

I go for another in the eye for wee Dougie, we're also due a stroke of luck against that shower.

1-0 or 2-1 Rovers

Quite amusing to hear that Bolton see us as big rivals.

Just another Lancashire/Manchester game for me, nothing special.

Probably will end a draw, though it'd be nice to sneak a 1-0 or 2-1 win and get back to back wins.

Unfortunately with no Best Rovers will be going into this one handicapped which is poor form from the owners and the manager for getting into this situation on just the fifth game of the season and all.

Really good preview m1st.

It may be possible to take the result against Barnsley and go into this game with some momentum and confidence even though before the sending off of their central defender the game looked pretty even and the result overall flattered the performance.

Bolton have had a tough run of early fixtures. They have played three serious promotion contenders in Forest, QPR and Reading in their first four games compared to us just playing the one (Forest) so it may be hard to judge how good they really are so early into the season.

Think i'll go for the draw here, local derby game with Bolton not firing on all cylinders yet and Rovers coming off a decent result. It wouldn't surprise me if Bolton get a win, i think their manager and setup is better than ours and their team is more balanced as well. I think they will be serious playoff contenders come the end of the season whilst Rovers fight for mid table.

Despite some strange, er, "massaging" of his Wikipedia entry John Byrom actually wasn't an England International

The Telegraph also fell for that line a few months ago

Err, I think he was an England Youth International. Given the stumps that have got full caps these days if he was playing now he'd have quite a few..

I'm sick of how they think its ok to attack Rovers fans. Especially at the Breezeblock. I know we have our own silly element but Bolton are getting away with assaulting decent Rovers fans.

I hope they come unstuck in the near future.

Totally agree. Their fans are thugs and their stewards aren't much better (have a look on youtube at the treatment of a Reading fan there this season). I actually think they're worse than Burnley in terms of their hooligan element and they seem to hate Rovers just as much. But the risk to our fans is greater because neither the police nor our support take them seriously. Although their place will be the worse of the 2 fixtures.

Anyway hopefully we'll do the business. I wouldn't mind getting beat 10-0 at Leicester if it meant us getting 4-6 points from the next 2.

Totally agree. Their fans are thugs and their stewards aren't much better (have a look on youtube at the treatment of a Reading fan there this season). I actually think they're worse than Burnley in terms of their hooligan element and they seem to hate Rovers just as much. But the risk to our fans is greater because neither the police nor our support take them seriously. Although their place will be the worse of the 2 fixtures.

Anyway hopefully we'll do the business. I wouldn't mind getting beat 10-0 at Leicester if it meant us getting 4-6 points from the next 2.

I wonder what legal responsibility a club has for the safety of fans in their ground? It seems that no effort is made at the BreezeBlock to stop their idiots from going round to the away end and throwing punches. How long until we have another incident like they caused at Blackpool in the 70's?

Err, I think he was an England Youth International. Given the stumps that have got full caps these days if he was playing now he'd have quite a few..

I'm fairly sure he was an England youth international - which sounds pretty tame now, but he didn't ever get a full England cap.

Even so, great memories, one of which was seeing him score a hat trick against West Ham, away from home, in a 3-3 draw in the FA cup in the 1960's. Duggie absolutely tore a very talented West Ham apart. Venky's can never take that away from me, no matter how hard they try.

Didn't join Byrom score a hat-trick v Arsenal in the FA Cup the season we went down in 1966 ? Seem to recall he was limping with an injury most of the match too, although it was nearly 50 years ago and memories fade. Very good player - should never have been sold. I think he was part of the very good Bolton team of the 1970s with Whatmore, Greaves etc.

Didn't join Byrom score a hat-trick v Arsenal in the FA Cup the season we went down in 1966 ? Seem to recall he was limping with an injury most of the match too, although it was nearly 50 years ago and memories fade. Very good player - should never have been sold. I think he was part of the very good Bolton team of the 1970s with Whatmore, Greaves etc.

No JIm, he didn't get a hat trick but he did score once in that game against Arsenal. He had a thing about scoring against West Ham though. He scored all three goals in our 3-2 away win at Upton Park in 1961 and then scored the only goal in the 1-0 return game at Ewood. He missed out by not playing in our great 8-2 win at West Ham in 1963. The next season he got our goal in our 1-1 draw away and three goals in our 4-0 win in the return fixture at Ewood. In our 1965-66 FA Cup run he got all three in the 3-3 drawn away game at West Ham and another one in our 4-1 win in the replay at Ewood, Andy McEvoy got the other three that night.

Apparently after we let him go to Bolton he carried on the goal scoring run against West Ham, I've heard the great Bobby Moore really rated him and always hated playing against him.

Bolton in extratime now against Tranmere in the League Cup. From what little I know of them it seems they are playing 4-5 from their starting 11 in the league (Knight, Baptiste, Medo, Pratley from - start Beckford from app. 60th min). Can only be a good thing for (the true!) Rovers. I really really hope they lose tonight. Never could stand Bolton though I don't know why.

Archived