BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Rovers v Huddersfield Town - 21st Sept 2013

Stuart

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How Cairney, Corry and Taylor all got taken of ahead of Lowe is just wrong, they may have been a bit leggy, but they still offered twice as much as Lowe(who only seems to get applauded for attempting to win back balls that he's given away in the first place) The GB and Lowe love-in is seriously wearing thin now.

Ill take a point and a clean sheet but really......

and for the 3rd game in a row, how many corners and set-pices in the final 3rd did we waste again today, that needs to be worked on.

You got to love those away clean sheets... like a good pint of beer, solid, dependable and salt of the Earth.

Those away draws are even better when the away team, who are far superior in every single position, play for a draw from minute one

It was very disappointing - HT were average, lacked ambition and must be delighted with a point - young side, untried manager, we will struggle. Left it far too late to shuffle his pack did GB. JR isolated again. If I were him I would need to up my friends on Facebook, so lonely he looks.

No stand out player at all for me, Kean for his first half wonder save that kept us in the game?

Long, long season ahead yet again. The chicken pluckers must be glad they are so far removed from us, bearing in mind what a Titanic they have done to us. If they cared one jot they would be embarrassed that we are now struggling to keep hold of the Dingles coat tails.

Taking Cairney off was pretty baffling.

Agree with this - but thought the Judge and Best substitutions had a positive impact. Only thing I can think with Cairney was to protect him after three games in a week.

Overall we were the better team - on a different day would have scored in the first half and then gone onto win. However the improvement is that last season we would have conceded a sucker goal and lost one-nil. Overall there are huge signs of improvement - we just need a cutting edge - after today I would drop Cairney into centre midfield and play Judge behind Rhodes. I would even consider playing Best - who had a positive impact when he came on winning a high % of headers.

I thought we played ok. Huddersfield were poor IMO and if we'd got one I'm sure they'd have folded. Cairney was excellent again in the first but became invisible in the 2nd. King looks very dangerous in full flight and I'd like to see him play on the last man.

Dann and Hanley were untroubled for most of the game. Kean made an excellent save in the first half.

Taylor was lightweight, Lowe and Evans were good, Kane was better and he looks great going forward.

Best looked hungry when he came on and is a much better target man than Rhodes.

Overall, bit of a nothing game with Rovers the better team and Huddersfield should be looking over their shoulders.

How Cairney, Corry and Taylor all got taken of ahead of Lowe is just wrong, they may have been a bit leggy, but they still offered twice as much as Lowe(who only seems to get applauded for attempting to win back balls that he's given away in the first place) The GB and Lowe love-in is seriously wearing thin now.

Ill take a point and a clean sheet but really......

and for the 3rd game in a row, how many corners and set-pices in the final 3rd did we waste again today, that needs to be worked on.

Totally disagree about Lowe - thought he had a reasonable match. Do agree about corners - what is strange is that the deliveries are quite good - must be an issue with the movement in the area.

Those away draws are even better when the away team, who are far superior in every single position, play for a draw from minute one

Good to see acknowledging the reality of the situation and accepting Huddersfield's innate superiority.

Never is a truer word said than when in jest...

Totally disagree about Lowe - thought he had a reasonable match. Do agree about corners - what is strange is that the deliveries are quite good - must be an issue with the movement in the area.

Williamson can do everything Lowe can but better + he has added experience and leadership qualities that we badly need, simple as that, I don't think Lowe is aterrible player, just not the best option and it seems to be pure favouritism if hes kept in the starting 11 ahead of Williamson.

Good to see acknowledging the reality of the situation and accepting Huddersfield's innate superiority.

Never is a truer said than when in jest...

It was a poor game but it takes two (not) to tango.

Your boys kept Rhodes quiet but ours did the same to Vaughan. To be honest no-one stood out for Hudds as far as I could see. 90 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Much ado about nothing-nothing.

Williamson can do everything Lowe can but better + he has added experience and leadership qualities that we badly need, simple as that, I don't think Lowe is aterrible player, just not the best option and it seems to be pure favouritism if hes kept in the starting 11 ahead of Williamson.

Hmm... don't really want to compare Lowe and Williamson - but the reality is that Lowe would have had the pace to keep up with Ings and wouldn't have had to haul him down (same could be said of todays yellow card).

The team needs to learn to use the whole pitch and not keep allowing the oppo to peg us onto one side(the left).

Hmm... don't really want to compare Lowe and Williamson - but the reality is that Lowe would have had the pace to keep up with Ings and wouldn't have had to haul him down (same could be said of todays yellow card).

by keep up, do you mean ball watch?(I can do that without leaving my seat)

• Backroom

Dreadful dreadful game, we were totally devoid if ideas.

Without Dunn or Rochina we have zero creativity. We'll grind out some results through industry but that alone won't be enough to keep us safe. Results like this make me wonder if we're destined for another relegation battle, though I sincerely hope not.

One change I would make is to get King to switch wings. The opposition know he's one footed and just keep showing him inside where he invariably loses the ball.

Switch him to the right, get him isolated with the full back and get him in a straight foot race to the by line. We're struggling for an outlet with Rhodes's inability to hold the ball up, this will give the opposition more to worry about.

• Backroom

Just home from the match.

I'm gunna stick my neck out and say Rhodes cost us today (hear me out). He's playing with fear cos of his hand and it's affecting his runs and positioning. I say drop him til it's sorted and play Best.

Thought Bowyer made the right subs but about 10mins too late. Judge should be starting behind Rhodes now, with King and the excellent Taylor on the wings.

I'd have Evans and Cairney sat behind those 3, as Lowe has (imo) been average since our previous home game.

Defence, I'm happyish with but would like to see Henley given a go when fit and try Kilgallon in place of Dann who makes me very nervous in the final 20mins of games.

Drab 0-0. Neither team deserved to win or lose. Fair result but not one I'm too happy with tbh.

You got to love those away clean sheets... like a good pint of beer, solid, dependable and salt of the Earth.

Jeez, he's like one of those turds that just won't flush.

Yep we've played you now, jog on back over the Pennines till next time we play then you can bore us to death with even more of your delusion and narrow minded views. :glare:

I'm gunna stick my neck out and say Rhodes cost us today (hear me out). He's playing with fear cos of his hand and it's affecting his runs and positioning. I say drop him til it's sorted and play Best.

Defence, I'm happyish with but would like to see Henley given a go when fit and try Kilgallon in place of Dann who makes me very nervous in the final 20mins of games.

Drab 0-0. Neither team deserved to win or lose. Fair result but not one I'm too happy with tbh.

Agree about Rhodes - it definitely effects him.

You would replace MOM Dann - to be honest I thought both he and Hanley had a good match against Vaughan (who looked decent at times).

Agree about Henley - as got very nervous every time they attacked our right flank.

IMO Rovers were the better team - and edged the match - but we didn't deserve to win as we didn't score.

Without Dunn or Rochina we have zero creativity. We'll grind out some results through industry but that alone won't be enough to keep us safe. Results like this make me wonder if we're destined for another relegation battle, though I sincerely hope not.

Zero creativity is harsh on Cairney - problem with Cairney is we also need him in central midfield.

Enjoyed the first 20-30 minutes, then got pretty bored by the way we constantly played the same ball into the box time after time. We really need to mix it up a bit with the final ball into the box. The side lacks creativity and while I'm very pleased to see the effort, endeavour and enthusiasm of a young team this side is going to struggle , especially if we hit a fun of defeats.

I'm not sure if this is the Huddersfield side Rhodes played in but they certainly knew how to stop him. Thought JR contributed very little, virtually nothing in fact.

Twelve months ago we would have lost this game.

Yep I'd agree with that plan. He offered nothing really today. His play is limited at the best of times.

Thought Bowyer made the right subs but about 10mins too late. Judge should be starting behind Rhodes now, with King and the excellent Taylor on the wings.

I'd have Evans and Cairney sat behind those 3, as Lowe has (imo) been average since our previous home game.

I'd agree with all of that,

and id like to see Killgannon given a game to see what he's all about,

Cairneys very composed and creative on the ball, but he cant run with it at his feet like dunn, rochina and judge can, which is something that is needed from a player playing in that advanced position.

Amazed at the negativity from this game. I think people forget the last 3 years way to easily. First half was some great football but unfortunately no final ball. Some of the football was excellent and we should have been ahead.

Second half was even. For some reason we lost that movement and it was disappointing. I agree that the subs where baffling but this team had the majority and they are all new to each other.

Have people forgot what we where like under Kean, berg and Appleton. This is so much better. Bowyer has had to trim this squad and has done a bloody good job in my eyes. He is still learning himself but people are to quick to judge.

I've hated going down there for the last 3 years but have stuck with it and I'm finally enjoying my football again. Too many people on this board react to each result and not the big picture. These people need a reality check. We are not a prem club anymore and those that slate bowyer are just as bad as the venkys knee jerk reactions.

Instead of moaning or blaming understand that we are no longer a big club or a mediocre club. We are a club that seemed destined to relegation last season and survivied thanks to the guy who is in charge now. Don't expect him to take us back up. Exprct him to steady the ship. We are looking better.

I can't see us in a scrap this season but in mid table and a possible playoff challenge. If people aren't happy with that then I'm sorry but you are deluded

One change I would make is to get King to switch wings. The opposition know he's one footed and just keep showing him inside where he invariably loses the ball.

Switch him to the right, get him isolated with the full back and get him in a straight foot race to the by line. We're struggling for an outlet with Rhodes's inability to hold the ball up, this will give the opposition more to worry about.

Yea, I used to think the same about Hoilett when he was good for us. I remember the 2-2 home game against Blackpool where he must have got to the byline at least a dozen times yet had to cut it back with his weaker foot.

The only problem would be Judge, Taylor or Marshall having to play on the left which would mean them having to check back onto their right foot all time.

Archived