BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Rovers v Huddersfield Town - 21st Sept 2013

Stuart

It was a poor game but it takes two (not) to tango.

Your boys kept Rhodes quiet but ours did the same to Vaughan. To be honest no-one stood out for Hudds as far as I could see. 90 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Much ado about nothing-nothing.

They will be the happier of the two teams and would have settled for a point before-hand. Bang average really, but will have enough to stay up.

Very disappointing again from our point of view as we huffed and puffed with little threat. Successful home games being crucial to mid-table security let alone the play offs or beyond. We are far too easy to neutralise and lack pace, guile, creativity and strength in key attacking areas. Even relatively average teams make us work hard and we look so pedestrian and predictable at times.

No point crying over spilt milk, we are what we are, but the huge amount of money invested in making us this poor is a truly astonishing achievement.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Amazed at the negativity from this game. I think people forget the last 3 years way to easily. First half was some great football but unfortunately no final ball. Some of the football was excellent and we should have been ahead.

Second half was even. For some reason we lost that movement and it was disappointing. I agree that the subs where baffling but this team had the majority and they are all new to each other.

Have people forgot what we where like under Kean, berg and Appleton. This is so much better. Bowyer has had to trim this squad and has done a bloody good job in my eyes. He is still learning himself but people are to quick to judge.

I've hated going down there for the last 3 years but have stuck with it and I'm finally enjoying my football again. Too many people on this board react to each result and not the big picture. These people need a reality check. We are not a prem club anymore and those that slate bowyer are just as bad as the venkys knee jerk reactions.

Instead of moaning or blaming understand that we are no longer a big club or a mediocre club. We are a club that seemed destined to relegation last season and survivied thanks to the guy who is in charge now. Don't expect him to take us back up. Exprct him to steady the ship. We are looking better.

I can't see us in a scrap this season but in mid table and a possible playoff challenge. If people aren't happy with that then I'm sorry but you are deluded

In the context of the last few years, I'm ecstatic with today's result. In the context of our form so far this season, I feel we could/should have pushed on and won today. We were the better team, but something was going wrong up front and I suspect it was Rhodes' fear of hurting his hand. It meant the midfield 5 kept pissing about with sideways balls, when Rhodes should've been making himself available in the box (as well as the winger opposite the one in possession).

You got to love those away clean sheets... like a good pint of beer, solid, dependable and salt of the Earth.

Just like Jordan Rhodes not leaving the dizzy heights of Huddersfield.

In the context of the last few years, I'm ecstatic with today's result. In the context of our form so far this season, I feel we could/should have pushed on and won today. We were the better team, but something was going wrong up front and I suspect it was Rhodes' fear of hurting his hand. It meant the midfield 5 kept pissing about with sideways balls, when Rhodes should've been making himself available in the box (as well as the winger opposite the one in possession).

Really?

Amazed at the negativity from this game. I think people forget the last 3 years way to easily. First half was some great football but unfortunately no final ball. Some of the football was excellent and we should have been ahead.

Second half was even. For some reason we lost that movement and it was disappointing. I agree that the subs where baffling but this team had the majority and they are all new to each other.

Have people forgot what we where like under Kean, berg and Appleton. This is so much better. Bowyer has had to trim this squad and has done a bloody good job in my eyes. He is still learning himself but people are to quick to judge.

I've hated going down there for the last 3 years but have stuck with it and I'm finally enjoying my football again. Too many people on this board react to each result and not the big picture. These people need a reality check. We are not a prem club anymore and those that slate bowyer are just as bad as the venkys knee jerk reactions.

Instead of moaning or blaming understand that we are no longer a big club or a mediocre club. We are a club that seemed destined to relegation last season and survivied thanks to the guy who is in charge now. Don't expect him to take us back up. Exprct him to steady the ship. We are looking better.

I can't see us in a scrap this season but in mid table and a possible playoff challenge. If people aren't happy with that then I'm sorry but you are deluded

sorry but your post is rubbish IMO.

Thought it was a game that showed how little creativity we have currently in the team/squad. We huffed and puffed but created so little, their keeper made no saves whatsoever. We have the ability to build play but the final ball was terrible today, no point naming names as at some point everybody will have spoilt an attack.

Huddersfield had little of the ball in general but still managed to get a chance that required a top drawer save from Kean, had that gone in we would have really struggled. Bowyer talked after the game about the "ball dropping" for us, you create your own luck in games and cannot rely on luck always. Our away form is so dire we require to take points at home, that is why performances like today grate so much!

I'm looking forward to seeing Henley again as Kane for me defensively had a mare today, gave too much space to their number 3 and I lost count of the times he missed controlled the ball over the touch line.

You know I don't even read the match threads anymore until I know some folks who have actually been to the game are posting. Seems to me the non attendees who post on here during the game are all just a bunch of negative ninnies.

It's going to take time.

First game of the season for me today. Thought we knocked it around well first half, much better than last year. That said, second half we were poor. Thought Huddersfield were there for the taking.

Of the new players, I thought Cairney and Evans had reasonable performances and why we don't play the 2 together as a fulcrum is beyond me - given that they played together at Hull. Judge looked lively when he came on. Was disappointed with Taylor - one paced and couldn't cross past the first defender.

As others have said, we'd have lost this last year and we do look more solid. I also find it a lot easier to stomach watching this bunch of players (who at least put a shift in) than the likes of Murphy and Orr.

With a couple of shrewd loan signings we could sneak the play offs - we desperately need someone to play in the hole whilst Rochina and Dunn are out. If we can't afford to bring anyone in, then we have to revert to 4-4-2 and play Best up front with Rhodes. We should also not be afraid to take Rhodes off as he might as well not have bothered turning up today.

Why did it take GB 30 mins to use a sub, when any manager worth his salt would surely be thinking about changes at HT.

Given that Rovers had dominated the 1st half and played pretty well without scoring, I think an experienced manager would have probably

given it 10-15 and then made the changes,it's not fair to give players 15 mins to make an impression, no wonder Best gets frustrated.

Maybe GB needs an 'old head' on the bench, to read the game and advise him, perhaps a Jim Smith type figure. his assistant is only used

to boys football too, that might be the problem.

Not the best result we could've hoped for, buuuuuut people need to accept that this is very much a team in transition. We have a lot of new players in the squad, a manager learning on the job, and two of our most influential players out injured. We just can't be expected to roll over teams in what is such a tight division. I will say that I'm a little surprised that Bowyer kept Cairney in the no. 10 role, when it was obvious to everyone he's out of position. Perhaps now he's realized that and will give Judge a run there.

Not the best result we could've hoped for, buuuuuut people need to accept that this is very much a team in transition. We have a lot of new players in the squad, a manager learning on the job, and two of our most influential players out injured. We just can't be expected to roll over teams in what is such a tight division. I will say that I'm a little surprised that Bowyer kept Cairney in the no. 10 role, when it was obvious to everyone he's out of position. Perhaps now he's realized that and will give Judge a run there.

Yes it's all about reading the game and making the appropriate changes and adjustments at the correct time.

That's where an ' old head comes in ' IMO.

Hi all,

Now the thread has quietened down a little, I just wanted to say thank you very much to all the Rovers (and some Town fans) who dug deep and donated to our collection today for Blackburn Eagles JFC. We had some really kind words of support from people and all the boys really enjoyed doing their bit for their club.

We made a total of £427. Which goes a long way for a club like ours.

Also I don't want to embarrass him by mentioning his poster name but I'd also like to thank Nick who contacted me via PM and very generously donated £50 into our account.

There really are some fantastic people who post on this fan site - you know who you are!

Thanks again,

Stuart

I thought Bowyer was a little bit negative with his last sub today in changing Williamson for Cairney. Seems like he was more interested in holding on to the point than going for the win.

Bearing in mind our p!ss poor away form we need to be getting the points on the board at home.

You know I don't even read the match threads anymore until I know some folks who have actually been to the game are posting. Seems to me the non attendees who post on here during the game are all just a bunch of negative ninnies.

It's going to take time.

Good to hear, didn't make it to the game but I'm rarely negative.

I thought Bowyer was a little bit negative with his last sub today in changing Williamson for Cairney. Seems like he was more interested in holding on to the point than going for the win.

Bearing in mind our p!ss poor away form we need to be getting the points on the board at home.

Yep, poor result really, considering we usually beat Hudds at home,( last 5 before today I believe) It's hard to see where the next away win will

come from, looking at the fixtures, so home points are crucial, we could easily slide down the table with more home results like this.

Sorry if I sound negative but, 3 points in these games are very important !

• Backroom

The highlight had to be Williamson warming up and struggling not to crack up everytime he approached the Blackburn End

I think he's good but he doesn't look fit as his repeat rugby tackle showed

The highlight had to be Williamson warming up and struggling not to crack up everytime he approached the Blackburn End

I think he's good but he doesn't look fit as his repeat rugby tackle showed

And he got another card within a minute of coming on too!

It's going to take time.

So you are saying that the opinions of those who attend the games are more important to you than those who don't?

Ironic much!! :D

At what point does the "We played well and deserved to win" or "We were unlucky, on another day we would have won" become stale? I bet you could scan every game thread so far this season when Rovers have dropped points and you would find the same comments every week.

Are we really unlucky? Or are we just bang average?

Bang Average Im afraid. Comments about the lack of Plan B are spot on. We obviously needed to shift things around but apart from some late subs which admittedly were the correct ones, we looked out of ideas and lacked direction. Hate to keep saying it but we sorely miss the creativity of Rochina or Dunny.

Rhodes up front once again starved of any credible service, apart from the result it was business as usual Im afraid.

Cant wait for Rochina to be match fit.

Thought it was another example of just how poor Championship football can be. I felt Huddersfield created the better chances but their final ball was every bit as poor as ours. I don't think the Huddersfield 'keeper will have an easier afternoon - not one save of worth was he asked to make. I thought both sides looked destined to be nothing more than mid-table at best. Quite how long the owners will be prepared to support an average Championship side I wouldn't like to guess but I can only see them losing more and more money as we fall further and further behind the required standards of Premier League football. I thought we looked very ordinary today and came away quite depressed.

It wasn't good today, no. It was a bad (and boring) day at the office but...

- We didn't lose

- We kept our first clean sheet in I don't know how long

- Still unbeaten at home since the opening home game

- We are building a fresh team of young players and that will include plenty of bad days (if only all our bad days ended in a point)

We have plenty to worry about in terms of club finances; the current team and manager?

No, I don't believe so.

Hi all,

Now the thread has quietened down a little, I just wanted to say thank you very much to all the Rovers (and some Town fans) who dug deep and donated to our collection today for Blackburn Eagles JFC. We had some really kind words of support from people and all the boys really enjoyed doing their bit for their club.

We made a total of £427. Which goes a long way for a club like ours.

Also I don't want to embarrass him by mentioning his poster name but I'd also like to thank Nick who contacted me via PM and very generously donated £50 into our account.

There really are some fantastic people who post on this fan site - you know who you are!

Thanks again,

Stuart

Good stuff! Well done Stu.

Today was my first game since Palace at home at the end of last season.

Most points have already been covered that I agree with. We lack creativity and guile without Dunn, Cairney isnt a natural no.10 more of a central midfielder. Bowyer for me took too long to make changes, should have given it max 10 mins second half before he got either one of both of Judge and Best on, who linked up well when they came on.

Defense was solid altough Kane looks dicey defensively, Lowe and Evans were solid in centre mid, Chris Taylor dissapointing, King had his moments but always in and out of the game, Rhodes had no service and looked tired early in the second half.

All in all, we are an honest, hard working team but I just don't think were going to have the quality to trouble the play-offs.

BTW is that video montage going down the years of Rovers supposed to be slapping us in the face with how far we have fallen?

One last thing, I enjoy watching Gary Bowyers team a heck of a lot more than a Kean/Berg/Appleton outfit.

Everything we did today was far too slow and ponderous. I lost count of the times when players should have shifted the ball quicker but wanted another touch or two allowing Huddersfield to get their shape and make it easier for them to defend. Too many times the wrong choice of pass was made and at times it looked like several of our players were wearing blinkers such was their reluctance (or inability) to see the bigger picture around them. Generally I think Bowyer makes positive substitutions who make an impact but I thought taking Evans and Cairney off was the wrong choice.

Today was my first game since Palace at home at the end of last season.

Most points have already been covered that I agree with. We lack creativity and guile without Dunn, Cairney isnt a natural no.10 more of a central midfielder. Bowyer for me took too long to make changes, should have given it max 10 mins second half before he got either one of both of Judge and Best on, who linked up well when they came on.

Defense was solid altough Kane looks dicey defensively, Lowe and Evans were solid in centre mid, Chris Taylor dissapointing, King had his moments but always in and out of the game, Rhodes had no service and looked tired early in the second half.

All in all, we are an honest, hard working team but I just don't think were going to have the quality to trouble the play-offs.

BTW is that video montage going down the years of Rovers supposed to be slapping us in the face with how far we have fallen?

One last thing, I enjoy watching Gary Bowyers team a heck of a lot more than a Kean/Berg/Appleton outfit.

This team could be transformed into a top six outfit with a fit Dunny and Rochina, unfortunately these 2 players are probably the least

reliable in the squad for the reasons we all know about.

Archived