BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Rovers v Huddersfield Town - 21st Sept 2013

Stuart

Other than Huddersfield I have done (but not away) and he isn't .... and neither are you. My logic is far more robust than your faded recollections. :closedeyes:

No it's not, and as for more and more coming around to your way of thinking it seems to me that you are in a minority of one and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jack had stuck to his own advice he should (and quite easily could) have bought Burnley, Preston, Bolton and Blackpool as well as BRFC, bulldozed the lot into the ground and set up Lancashire County FC and built them somewhere close to J32 of the M6.

And before you comment without putting your brain into gear as usual remember resistance is futile. As time goes on and we become ever weaker more and more will come around to my way of thinking. :tu: Unfortunately negotiating from a position of weakness is not as good as when you have the wealth of the Walkers behind you.

broken record

If Jack had stuck to his own advice he should (and quite easily could) have bought Burnley, Preston, Bolton and Blackpool as well as BRFC, bulldozed the lot into the ground and set up Lancashire County FC and built them somewhere close to J32 of the M6.

And before you comment without putting your brain into gear as usual remember resistance is futile. As time goes on and we become ever weaker more and more will come around to my way of thinking. :tu: Unfortunately negotiating from a position of weakness is not as good as when you have the wealth of the Walkers behind you.

Brain into gear... it's funny, but I thought Walker was a Rovers fan, not a supporter of some non-existant plastic club pipedream of a few fans' vivid imagination that died a death more than 40 years ago.

broken record

Brain into gear... it's funny, but I thought Walker was a Rovers fan, not a supporter of some non-existant plastic club pipedream of a few fans' vivid imagination that died a death more than 40 years ago.

Winners and losers in life. You two belong in the latter group.

"the only constant in life is change" Heraclitus. :tu:

So where does the English 40% of the Premier League who have disappeared downwards play now?

They don't. Sat on the benches or in the stands of the big clubs. They don't even play reserve team football anymore! In fact they don't even play at all.

Look at our own Songo'o or whatever he's called (yes, he's not English) how can he be ready to step in / step up if called upon?

Go back a few years and the reserve league was quite some standard, nowadays managers are too scared to even play fringe players. 10k a week to not even play! I could do that, in fact I'd do it for 5k a week.

:wacko: :wacko:

Butlers ale must be getting better, was kean the last time I tried it :wstu:

I would be inclined to agree with theno (on the standard of the Championship, not Lancashire United). There's no logic to the idea that the Championship is pants when according to large sections of our fanbase we have a team and manager better equipped to deal with it than last season, and yet still can't beat anyone in the division except its very worst teams at home.

As theno says maybe its a diet of 2 decades in the Premiership, or maybe its under-rating the strengths the Championship has. I bet when Allardyce was our manager people thought we were pants, ditto for Stoke under Pulis. But whats the real measure of a side's quality, how good they look or how effective they are? The Championship provides a very stiff challenge, ask one of the best managers in the country Harry Redknapp with his star-studded line up, they may be top but QPR have battled through their games so far like someone battling through a heavy storm. To me it smacks of delusion, and perhaps arrogance, to assume its a straight forward task getting out of this league.

I would be inclined to agree with theno (on the standard of the Championship, not Lancashire United). There's no logic to the idea that the Championship is pants when according to large sections of our fanbase we have a team and manager better equipped to deal with it than last season, and yet still can't beat anyone in the division except its very worst teams at home.

See Meadows post above SKH.

PL clubs now have such a huge financial advantage that anyone from the lower leagues, showing anything like PL potential, is swept up straight away and tucked into their over large squads. Same for any youngster showing talent.

The days when a second division player would turn down a first division club because they weren't guaranteed first team football, are over. All down to money. They're more than happy to sit on the bench now, or as Bob Fleming says - not.

I think some of the less sharp of memory need to take a look at the 2nd Division teams around 25 years ago...,I watched a clip of a Rovers v Leicester from 1988....Sellars, Price, Hendry, Archibald, Barker, Hendry, Gennoe..... Different class to the team of today.

Leicester had Newell, Gary McAllister....Millwall went up with Sheringham, Cascarino, Hurlock.... Villa did too with Platt, Mark Walters, Tony Daley....Palace had Wright and Bright.... City with Paul Stewart and co (beat Huddersfield 10-1) ....Middlesbrough and Bradford were tough, tough teams, Leeds with Batty and Speed emerging, Lee Chapman, Vinnie Jones....

Don't tell me the standard in this division's any significantly better than those days! It was very different football I grant you but look at that lot and compare the astonishment these days that a bloke like Lambert has come out of the lower divisions and made the England team. Howard Gayle vs Josh King? Don't make me laugh!

That Rovers team alone, built on a fraction of the cost and wages of the current side, would barely accommodate a single player from the present day squad of 50-odd

If I you think Tom Cairney is a creative midfielder with an educated left foot, check out Sellars on You Tube

Couldn't agree more meadows. The present Championship is nowhere near the standards of the old Second Division and I fully agree that the Rovers team of the mid to late 1980s was far superior to the present one. I still remember the buzz around the place when Steve Archibald turned up on loan from Barcelona! Indeed, I think Gordon Lee's team that won the Third Division Championship would give our present lot a run for their money and how we could do with that defence that Howard Kendall built his promotion winning team on - Branagan, Keeley, Faz and Rathbone with Arnold in goal. Now those guys knew how to keep a clean sheet.

• Backroom

Go watch it D.E. - it is. The first thing relegated PL clubs do is downscale their wage bill, big time.

They used to. Nowadays parachute payments mean it isn't necessary straight away and increasingly clubs are going up and not hugely strengthening, meaning even if they do get relegated they have a similar wage bill to when they got promoted - the difference being they now have £60M+ TV Money from their season in the big leagues and four years of parachute payments to look forward to.

I think some of the less sharp of memory need to take a look at the 2nd Division teams around 25 years ago...,I watched a clip of a Rovers v Leicester from 1988....Sellars, Price, Hendry, Archibald, Barker, Hendry, Gennoe..... Different class to the team of today.

Leicester had Newell, Gary McAllister....Millwall went up with Sheringham, Cascarino, Hurlock.... Villa did too with Platt, Mark Walters, Tony Daley....Palace had Wright and Bright.... City with Paul Stewart and co (beat Huddersfield 10-1) ....Middlesbrough and Bradford were tough, tough teams, Leeds with Batty and Speed emerging, Lee Chapman, Vinnie Jones....

Don't tell me the standard in this division's any significantly better than those days! It was very different football I grant you but look at that lot and compare the astonishment these days that a bloke like Lambert has come out of the lower divisions and made the England team. Howard Gayle vs Josh King? Don't make me laugh!

That Rovers team alone, built on a fraction of the cost and wages of the current side, would barely accommodate a single player from the present day squad of 50-odd

If I you think Tom Cairney is a creative midfielder with an educated left foot, check out Sellars on You Tube

Watching that Leicester match was a real eye-opener ( I'd forgotten how good Sellars was) and both the Rovers and Leicester teams had quality players who would cost a small fortune now. The attacking end-to-end football played in that match could have been played 25 years before it in 1963 yet 25 years on from that match football today is barely recognisable as the same game.

Watching that Leicester match was a real eye-opener ( I'd forgotten how good Sellars was) and both the Rovers and Leicester teams had quality players who would cost a small fortune now. The attacking end-to-end football played in that match could have been played 25 years before it in 1963 yet 25 years on from that match football today is barely recognisable as the same game.

remember seeing him play when I was 17 , thinking how good he was!

See Meadows post above SKH.

PL clubs now have such a huge financial advantage that anyone from the lower leagues, showing anything like PL potential, is swept up straight away and tucked into their over large squads. Same for any youngster showing talent.

The days when a second division player would turn down a first division club because they weren't guaranteed first team football, are over. All down to money. They're more than happy to sit on the bench now, or as Bob Fleming says - not.

Fair enough, can't really disagree with Meadows' post, he makes a very good argument. Do find it odd though that of the 9 teams promoted from the Championship in the 3 seasons before last, only Blackpool and Reading came straight back down. Which you wouldn't really expect if the Premiership had got stronger at the expense of the Championship.

And despite pitches that are covered in grass.

However give me logic and practicality over misty eyed memory every time.

Been a busy week so no time to post but some of our fans are beyond a joke!!! I was sat in the riverside and a fan few rows behind me just kept booing and shouting abuse at Taylor...and his reason was.....he sent him a txt for a free ticket which taylor apparently dint arrange...as for the game we were much the better team. But really did lack creativity and as for Huddz they were atrocious

Couldn't agree more meadows. The present Championship is nowhere near the standards of the old Second Division and I fully agree that the Rovers team of the mid to late 1980s was far superior to the present one. I still remember the buzz around the place when Steve Archibald turned up on loan from Barcelona! Indeed, I think Gordon Lee's team that won the Third Division Championship would give our present lot a run for their money and how we could do with that defence that Howard Kendall built his promotion winning team on - Branagan, Keeley, Faz and Rathbone with Arnold in goal. Now those guys knew how to keep a clean sheet.

I totally endorse that, where are the Kevin Hird's and John Baileys these days.

I personally think that both our expectations as supporters and management have changed massively also.

Then, Archibold, Ardilles, McKenzie and Wagstaff to name but a few, were still sufficiently motivated financially and professionally to want to make an impact. You can't say that these days as our recent exploits with Murphy and Etuhu endorse. Journeymen footballers are wealthy young men and have little or no motivation.

We had a team in 94/95 littered with 5 outstanding individuals but it was a great team that played to its strengths.

Out of interest, what was the team squad and what are they doing now?

Christ, is it really 18 years ago by the way? That is a rhetorical question!

If that ever happened I wouldn't have a team to support.

You might as well just switch allegiances to Man Utd or City like Vinjay.

I assume this is the 3-3 draw on Youtube? I just watched it to see how the current team compares. It's not easy to compare the 2 teams because the pitch and the conditions looked pretty awful. However, I seem to be in disagreement with the majority - I didn't think the football was any better than what we see at Ewood these days. The were plenty of instances of poor passing and rubbish defending.........and this was the highlights!

Archived