BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Preview: Rovers v Huddersfield Town - 21st Sept 2013

Stuart

First game of the season for me today. Thought we knocked it around well first half, much better than last year. That said, second half we were poor. Thought Huddersfield were there for the taking.

Of the new players, I thought Cairney and Evans had reasonable performances and why we don't play the 2 together as a fulcrum is beyond me - given that they played together at Hull. Judge looked lively when he came on. Was disappointed with Taylor - one paced and couldn't cross past the first defender.

As others have said, we'd have lost this last year and we do look more solid. I also find it a lot easier to stomach watching this bunch of players (who at least put a shift in) than the likes of Murphy and Orr.

With a couple of shrewd loan signings we could sneak the play offs - we desperately need someone to play in the hole whilst Rochina and Dunn are out. If we can't afford to bring anyone in, then we have to revert to 4-4-2 and play Best up front with Rhodes. We should also not be afraid to take Rhodes off as he might as well not have bothered turning up today.

I have had the same feeling for a while. This is soooo much better than last year.I do not underestimate what Bowyer has achieved already..

I guess we still haven't found the combination to get the best out of Rhodes.Also, we haven't quite got the blend of experience and youth out on the pitch, but I am conscious that key players are out

.I guess it needs a bit more of an expert than me (or Kean or Berg or Appleton or Singh!) to work out the nuances of what to change/add to get this engine firing properly.

I haven't given up all hope because there are a lot of games to get it right.

Today Huddersfield were able to snuff out our creativity all too easily in the second half. Things would have been different had we scored, when we were on top.

I was very frustrated by Huddersfield's spoiling, time wasting tactics. Their keeper had more than a whiff of Jaaskalainen (cba to look up spelling of his name)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating not to have got all 3 points. We were the better team and huddersfield knew it - time-wasting from very early in the game.

We had a lot of possession but just lacked that bit of quality, composure - someone like dunn may just have unlocked them.

Williamson shouldn't play until he can run - otherwise he will be rugby tackling players every game.

Bowyer said they were out of steam from 3 games in a week which may explain the flat second half. The only fault i could find about bowyer is that he sees something in lowethat i don't - towards the end of that game we didn't need a destroyer, we needed a goal.

With rochina, dj and dunn to come back we should hopefully turn some draws to wins

Not the best result we could've hoped for, buuuuuut people need to accept that this is very much a team in transition. We have a lot of new players in the squad, a manager learning on the job, and two of our most influential players out injured. We just can't be expected to roll over teams in what is such a tight division. I will say that I'm a little surprised that Bowyer kept Cairney in the no. 10 role, when it was obvious to everyone he's out of position. Perhaps now he's realized that and will give Judge a run there.

This is the worry about Bowyer for me. I was hoping he'd realise this post Burnley and change accordingly. We've since played two more matches and earned just the one point. Completely understand that he's still learning, but he seems a little stubborn over certain selections.

Bowyer said they were out of steam from 3 games in a week which may explain the flat second half.

Which is a valid point, and I've thought the same- problem is, this is Bowyer's fault for not remedying it. We have barely rotated at all this week, and we have a large squad. Players should have been rested on Tuesday for the easier game on Saturday. I think we would have done better in both games this way actually.

One of the things which encouraged me to buy a season ticket after a season away was the way that GB seems to have got a "team", playing together. Because they pushed forward well in the Bolton game, and to a lesser extent today against a better team, they seem to get the "luck of the bounce".

I know we all see different features of the game; but, particularly in the first half today, I was very disappointed in the way we seemed to focus on attacking via King on the left wing. This afternoon, I began to think that Taylor, who's impressed me since his display in the pre-season friendly at Rochdale, must have BO from the way in which his colleagues were avoiding him!

I fear that today was a case of "two points lost".

Wasn't at the game but injuries are really costing us at the moment. 3 key attackers missing in Dunn, Rochina and DJ. 3-5-1 simply doesn't work if you don't have a link player like Dunn or rochina in there.

0-0 is not the end of the world. First clean sheet of the season. We need to stay in and around mid table until Dunn, rochina and DJ come back and then we can push on.

People calling for bowyer to be sacked are simply wrong.

Which is a valid point, and I've thought the same- problem is, this is Bowyer's fault for not remedying it. We have barely rotated at all this week, and we have a large squad. Players should have been rested on Tuesday for the easier game on Saturday. I think we would have done better in both games this way actually.

Then to leave the subs until 75 mins today, hard to fathom.

And he got another card within a minute of coming on too!

So you are saying that the opinions of those who attend the games are more important to you than those who don't?

Ironic much!! :D

Not what I'm saying at all but you spin it how you want.

I just don't know what people expect. The team is obviously going to be a work in progress because they are all youngsters learning together. Listening to them after the match, they were gutted too not to have got the 3 points. When did we last hear players sounding pleased to be here, appreciative of the fans, frustrated by their own performances, determined to become a real team, support one another and do their best? Perhaps bowyer is getting some things wrong but, after the shambles we've been for the last 3 seasons, he's earned the right, by changing the atmosphere around the place, to build his team. And the crowd was flatter than the match yesterday, the only real chants being for Williamson. The team need us to be that 12 th man still

Nobody wants mediocrity. Stability is, however, a sign of progress after what we've had. I want to see my team winning as much as anyone does. I want us riding high in the championship, gaining promotion, settling into another premiership run, challenging for cups playing in Europe, but those days are past. Doesn't mean they can't come back, just that we have to give the bits and pieces of recovery we've seen recently chance to grow. Look at teams like Swansea and Southampton. They were down and outs not too many years back. Now Swansea are winning away in Valencia and Southampton are winnig at Anfield when Liverpool fans were actually genuinely beginning to believe they could be doing something this year. It's no good bemoaning what we don't have. We need to support what we do have.

Sad to say, but after the past three years of Venky's mismanagement, mediocrity is now viewed as a sign of progress. It really does illustrate just how much damage the Indian mob have done to the club.

Sadly, this IS the case.

We fans really must get our heads around this.

Being a mediocre mid-Championship team will also be considered success if we can continue to be that for the next few years. To fail now means a much further fall.

To put Bowyer's task in perspective, Kean was still managed this time last year. Since the.n we've had 5 managers and numerous journeymen players in and out of the club.

Bowyer needs time to turn it round. I trust he is the right man, knows how to set up a team, crucially he learns from his mistakes and makes appropriate changes. We need to stick with him.

Thought it was another example of just how poor Championship football can be. I felt Huddersfield created the better chances but their final ball was every bit as poor as ours. I don't think the Huddersfield 'keeper will have an easier afternoon - not one save of worth was he asked to make. I thought both sides looked destined to be nothing more than mid-table at best. Quite how long the owners will be prepared to support an average Championship side I wouldn't like to guess but I can only see them losing more and more money as we fall further and further behind the required standards of Premier League football. I thought we looked very ordinary today and came away quite depressed.

Im afraid I felt the same way today, how they played was simply mid table. I will be honest I was a little frustrated, I just don't see why Bowyer is sticking to using Cairney as the attaching mid/ number 10.

My view is that in the role you need someone who is technically excellent, needs a very good first touch, ability to commit and beat a man, pick a pass, and contribute with goals. Dunn and Rochina both have most of the attributes obviously to varying degrees. Rochina as an example still needs to learn to pick a pass but if he did then he would be playing at a higher level than the championship as his other attributes are spot on. Dunn really has them all but his fitness and advancing years are now big issues or obviously he would also be at a much higher level.

The trouble is I don't think Cairney has any way near enough of those attributes. Simply in my view he has more of the attributes of a central mid playmaker.

I just look at Judge, Marshall, King and think their attributes potentially match up far closer to a number 10 role.

Of course in two weeks time Dunn could return and play in the majority of games upto Jan and then Rochina return and play for rest of season and I genuinely think we could push into the playoffs. The trouble is knowing the history of both players we could just as easily not see many games from either for the rest of the season.

The thing that concerns me is if Bowyer needs to get anyone in on loan hes running out of time and to be honest its one type of player that isn't easy to get on loan. With persisting in using Cairney is it simply because he has made a judgement that the other players we have just aren't good enough to play the number 10 role.

So does he go 442 and get in a strong hold up target centre forward ? We seem to have 3 strikers (when DJ comes back) but im not sure that any of the really compliment any of the others.

To put Bowyer's task in perspective, Kean was still managed this time last year. Since the.n we've had 5 managers and numerous journeymen players in and out of the club.

Bowyer needs time to turn it round. I trust he is the right man, knows how to set up a team, crucially he learns from his mistakes and makes appropriate changes. We need to stick with him.

Great point. The context of even the last twelve months means we have to try to rally round Bowyer.

Yes, looking at some of Huddersfield Town's results this season, we might expect better but to sack Bowyer now would be beyond stupid.

Im afraid I felt the same way today, how they played was simply mid table. I will be honest I was a little frustrated, I just don't see why Bowyer is sticking to using Cairney as the attaching mid/ number 10.

My view is that in the role you need someone who is technically excellent, needs a very good first touch, ability to commit and beat a man, pick a pass, and contribute with goals. Dunn and Rochina both have most of the attributes obviously to varying degrees. Rochina as an example still needs to learn to pick a pass but if he did then he would be playing at a higher level than the championship as his other attributes are spot on. Dunn really has them all but his fitness and advancing years are now big issues or obviously he would also be at a much higher level.

The trouble is I don't think Cairney has any way near enough of those attributes. Simply in my view he has more of the attributes of a central mid playmaker.

I just look at Judge, Marshall, King and think their attributes potentially match up far closer to a number 10 role.

Of course in two weeks time Dunn could return and play in the majority of games upto Jan and then Rochina return and play for rest of season and I genuinely think we could push into the playoffs. The trouble is knowing the history of both players we could just as easily not see many games from either for the rest of the season.

The thing that concerns me is if Bowyer needs to get anyone in on loan hes running out of time and to be honest its one type of player that isn't easy to get on loan. With persisting in using Cairney is it simply because he has made a judgement that the other players we have just aren't good enough to play the number 10 role.

So does he go 442 and get in a strong hold up target centre forward ? We seem to have 3 strikers (when DJ comes back) but im not sure that any of the really compliment any of the others.

Agree with most of that but King is no number 10, and not sure that Judge or Marshall are. The worrying thing is to be desperate for Dunn or Rochina.

In the first half we did well up to the box and then fell flat too much - Cairney mostly to blame, which surprised me,

Also chose to play too much down the left, with Taylor often in acres of space on the right.

Agree with Bowyer on the way that the ball dropped. There were shooting chances for Cairney, Spurr and Taylor that all dropped to their much weaker foot.

I think a lot of the frustration in the second half was down to the way Huddersfield set up - their 5-man midfield was well organised and worked well, protecting the real weakness which was the two centre-backs.

Frustration was also down to no change in our set-up to try and make something different happen.

Sometimes what's wrong seems obvious but can't see any clear improvements that could be made.

Judge, Marshal, Taylor all look OK but a bit limited - maybe time will show Marshall is the best of the three.

Evans and Cairney look the best pairing in midfield, but I'd be loathe to lose the excellent security and protection that Lowe provides for a still dodgy back 4.

Moving Lowe to right-back for a shaky Kane isn't the answer.

King was largely nullified by Huddersfield's set-up too.

Ag.

Evans and Cairney look the best pairing in midfield, but I'd be loathe to lose the excellent security and protection that Lowe provides for a still dodgy back 4.

Moving Lowe to right-back for a shaky Kane isn't the answer.

Good point and something that is often overlooked by Lowe's detractors. I was denounced as "wum" yesterday for saying Lowe is the lynchpin of the side but the manager always picks him over other defensive midfield candidates and he must have clocked up about 50 - 100 league appearances by now - not bad for a young player. He's obviously seen as having a big future.

reading through the recent replies and being serious for once... its a question of perspectives isn't it.

In that we are both probably going to be mid-table teams this year ( although all fan, including myself will carry that little light of optimism at the back of our minds, of something greater) but for Huddersfield this is a relative success and progress for out 2nd year back in the championship. For most of your fans it seems a mid-tale finish would be seen as a disappointment.

However I think Stuart above hits the nail on the head, in that the crazy turmoil of last year (in fact since Venky's took you over) have hit the playing side of your club far harder than some of your fans seem to want to accept. It seems you have a decent man in Gary Bowyer and he seems to be creating some stability from the first time in 3 years.

Stability needs to come before hopes of further progress. It strikes me as this is a season of re-grouping and stability for you rather than a push for automatics. Although I accept the worrying feeling of the financial losses and Venky's cutting their losses and running, hangs over your clubs head like the sword of Damocles.

So a serious post from me rather than a wind-up.

Archived