BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Watford - Tuesday 1 October - Kick-off 19:45

Nitpicking Rhodes' overall game again, after he's won us yet another match, is a very poor do.

From my seat I thought there were 11 players on the pitch and thee subs used who all played an equally important part in winning us the match. I don't think Saint Jordan could have won it without a little help from the rest of the team and I'm sure he would be the first to agree.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD had gone in the groin. Be v surprised if he makes Wigan. Would be a big miss.

Hanley though is now as good as any in this league.

I wish people would type words in full. Lazy posting. What is SD?

WUM

Not at all. The debate over whether Rhodes is the complete striker or not has quickly become a tiresome one. Look at it this way, if he was, then he certainly wouldn't still be here, that's for sure.

From my seat I thought there were 11 players on the pitch and thee subs used who all played an equally important part in winning us the match. I don't think Saint Jordan could have won it without a little help from the rest of the team and I'm sure he would be the first to agree.

'Saint Jordan?' Listen to yourself. Most of us accept he isn't the finished article, but scrutinizing him on a weekly basis while he continues to score in almost every game, is very churlish indeed.

Of course every win is a team effort but that doesn't change the fact Rhodes' quality finishing has been the key difference between 3pts or 1. Our midfield was a joke last season and Rhodes still managed to score 20+ goals from feeding off scraps. The guy has a natural goalscoring talent that cannot be taught, but instead of celebrating that, certain fans would rather lament that he isn't the next Kevin Davies.

Maj, I have no problem debating Jordan on here with you, but I don't think it's any business of yours to criticise my interactions with any other posters - assuming I'm not being a total dick, which in this case I don't think I was ;) if the community managers think I'm being a @#/? or den flags it up with me then no problem, otherwise it's nobody else's business IMO.

Rhodes can improve, of course, but to do so we will need to change the way we play and I'm not sure that would be beneficial with the team we have available.

So if I become a community manager I can comment? (insertwinkymakesitalrightemotocin)

I don't think we'd need to change the way we play, we'd just need to make sure he's there when we strike. Rhodes doing other things wouldn't be abad thing as everyone knows he's our main dangerman. If he drops, moves to the channel it's likely someone will come with him making more space for another to attack. Him being more mobile would make him harder to mark and again he may get more/better chances from it. My biggest concern for JR is that he'll be found wanting at a higher level, prem defences will never give him the time and space he gets at this level. Whilst I don't doubt he'll score goals at that level I just don't think that will be enough as he'll most likely be on his own up front at a higher level.

Be a quiet place Gumboots if comment was restricted to the 10% of the town who went. And an even more miniscule percentage of those who are members of the forum. That's all I am saying.

But the comments would be meaningful which is more than you can say for the non attenders. 17 pages takes some reading through when half of the comments are from people who did not see the match and therefore are clueless.

Was absolutely buzzin comin off Ewood last night. Haven't had that feeling in a long time (including the 4-1 hammering of Bolton). Excellent team performance, everyone grafting & putting in a real shift. Crowd was excellent for the last 20 - my little un came off the ground with her voice almost gone from shouting & singing (appologies to the young lady who sits in front of us).

First half was a little cagey although I think we dominated &, bar a 10 min period towards the end, looked pretty comfortable. 2nd half? What a performance, every single player in a blue & white shirt (plus one in green) giving everything.

King scared the @#/? out of their defence, just wish his shooting was better

Cairney & Evans, superb, even Lowe had a good game although not my MOM. I'd have gone for Evans.

Rhodes ran himselff into the ground 2nd half (I think he was too knackered to shoot with the 1on1 with Almunia). No matter what anyone says, his workrate in the 2nd half was 1st class. Their centre halfs didn't get a moments peace, he was even working the channels & put over a great cross from the left for Olsson to get no-where near. Not Alan Shearer by any means, but again signs that he's working on this part of his game.

Hanley & Dann solid as a rock. I have to mention Hanley's Beckenbauer-esque 70 yard pass to Rhodes to put him clean through, only for the linesman to flag offside (incorrectly imo). I hope Dann's groin injury isn't too serious although Killgallon looked commanding enough when he came on, albeit for 5 mins or so.

Spurr, I will agree with most on here, I like him, but he didn't quite look his usual self last night in the attacking third, poor crosses and slow decision making. Great throw though and nothing wrong defensively: one great tackle - definitely not a foul - in the first half which resulted in their no15 being down for a while (not a geat indication given this lot's play acting) and not coming back for the 2nd half.

Kean looked better that of late, Best was OK.

Marshall showed glimpses last night of what he's capable of, hope that continues.

All in all, well pleased. Well played lads and a big thumbs up for GB, keep up the good work!

I enjoyed the game overall. I did think at one point that Watfords pass and move football would undo us however they only ever seemed to get as far as the penalty area.

Rovers did look leg heavy at times however, what was evident was a determination not to lose the game or the points they had courtesy of JR.

In relation to Lowe. He is a good player when he does the basic stuff right. However, his tendency to give the ball away when trying something a bit too much is an annoying trait. There were other Rovers players who tried a little too hard for the easy pass and failed which is a shame because there were times when the simple ball would have given us a scoring opportunity.

Spurr - I like to look of him at LB. Solid and not afraid to put a tackle in.

Cairney/Evans - both looked comfortable on the ball. TC gets too isolated at times.

King - what a player he COULD be if he could sort out the final pass.

Kane - solid at times but did give the ball away needlessly on 2 occasions which left Rovers vulnerable down the flank.

Dann/Hanley - they are getting to be a very good central defensive pairing. I hope SD isn't injured because he has looked a class leader of these young pups.

Rhodes - what can we say ? He scored the winner ENOUGH.

Best - another who could be a very useful striker. Does daft things like getting a card for handball and should really have provided a cross for a goal in the first half.

Marshall - looked handy when he came on as sub.

Finally KEAN, he does worry me slightly with his placement and lack of initial movement. I know he is young and still learning but he doesn't give himself a chance when he hesitates for just a moment.

I thought GB se the team up well, it was a good performance and we were worth our victory.

onto Wigan........

I know I'm not allowed to comment on match threads because I didn't see the game but can people please elaborate on Marshall's performance? I didn't get to listen to RoversPlayer last night so I'm not even sure where he played when he came on.

Did he play behind Rhodes and support him well or was it out wide putting some decent crosses in the box?

John Barnes was English, Klose, Podolski are German, Rhodes is therefore Scottish as is Tom Cairney.

He ain't Scottish just because he plays for Scotland. He qualifies, that is all. Same for the others. It's just as ridiculous that Brazilians play for Germany.

I know I'm not allowed to comment on match threads because I didn't see the game but can people please elaborate on Marshall's performance? I didn't get to listen to RoversPlayer last night so I'm not even sure where he played when he came on.

Did he play behind Rhodes and support him well or was it out wide putting some decent crosses in the box?

Marshall had shown nothing to me Salgado. I had seen nothing at all in his game.

However, he did well last night when he came on. He did more in his short stint and looked far more of a threat than Best had done all night. He played alongside, or just behind Rhodes and if he can play like he did on a more regular basis - and not just as a sub, then he might just cement a place in the side. So yeah, at least we know there is something there.

Last one on Rhodes as it's caused a stir. I didn't think he had a bad game at all. In the second half and especially after his goal, he did very well. He made good use of the extra space that Watford had to give. The first half he struggled to get involved in the game - just as others did, including Best. He got little service of any real quality and for me, when strikers - any strikers, can't get involved in the game, for whatever reason, they need to rethink things - even if it's just give the centre half a good dig in the ribs.

Oh, this radical thinking

If i live in a country for X years (it's different for each one) I can accept citizenship and a passport of that country. This makes me part of that country and if I'm good enough to represent them at sports, great. It's hardly a FIFA rule as the whole of the world works like this, so FIFA are really just going with the flow. The nations themselves have chosen to allow this and make it legal,so what's the problem? I take it you don't want Defoe, Barnes, Hargreaves, Le Tissier, Le Saux or Agbonlahor playing for England either? Neither is English by your definition.

Rhodes, Rovers great SCOTTISH hope!!!

Never said he couldn't play for Scotland. That's his choice because he feels he has more chance of getting into the inferior Scottish team but it doesn't make him Scottish. He's English and lives in England too.

Not at all. The debate over whether Rhodes is the complete striker or not has quickly become a tiresome one. Look at it this way, if he was, then he certainly wouldn't still be here, that's for sure.

'Saint Jordan?' Listen to yourself. Most of us accept he isn't the finished article, but scrutinizing him on a weekly basis while he continues to score in almost every game, is very churlish indeed.

Of course every win is a team effort but that doesn't change the fact Rhodes' quality finishing has been the key difference between 3pts or 1. Our midfield was a joke last season and Rhodes still managed to score 20+ goals from feeding off scraps. The guy has a natural goalscoring talent that cannot be taught, but instead of celebrating that, certain fans would rather lament that he isn't the next Kevin Davies.

Actually, certain fans accept that he is a natural goalscorer - something that can't be taught - however there are many of us who believe that if he developed other aspects of his game, aspects which could be improved on the training ground, then he would be a much better all round forward. If he developed those aspects he would certainly get into the Scotland team. Every player has the capacity to improve with work on the training ground and Rhodes is no different. He has the potential to be an outstanding forward but there things that need to be improved. The use of the term "Saint" was because some fans feel he can do no wrong and that his game is perfect, something which he himself accepts it is not. I'm not sure how you see wanting a player to improve his all round game is churlish but then, each to their own.

Actually, certain fans accept that he is a natural goalscorer - something that can't be taught - however there are many of us who believe that if he developed other aspects of his game, aspects which could be improved on the training ground, then he would be a much better all round forward. If he developed those aspects he would certainly get into the Scotland team. Every player has the capacity to improve with work on the training ground and Rhodes is no different. He has the potential to be an outstanding forward but there things that need to be improved. The use of the term "Saint" was because some fans feel he can do no wrong and that his game is perfect, something which he himself accepts it is not. I'm not sure how you see wanting a player to improve his all round game is churlish but then, each to their own.

If Rhodes's flaws up front effectively cost us a game, then fair enough, it becomes a relevant talking point. Otherwise it only needs to be said the once and move on. You'd be hard-pressed to find any of our players that don't have areas where they could improve their game. We certainly don't have any complete goalies, defenders, or midfielders... So why is Rhodes almost always the one put under the microscope? Like I said, it becomes even more ridiculous when the guy has almost a 1 in 1 strike rate.

Rhodes plays on the shoulder of the last defender. That's his game and that's how he gets his chances. If he tried to be something else he would not be there when the chance came and would not be so effective. Yes he is a luxury player but he is also a match winner. Accept him for what he is or lose his effectiveness.

If Rhodes's flaws up front effectively cost us a game, then fair enough, it becomes a relevant talking point. Otherwise it only needs to be said the once and move on. You'd be hard-pressed to find any of our players that don't have areas where they could improve their game. We certainly don't have any complete goalies, defenders, or midfielders... So why is Rhodes almost always the one put under the microscope? Like I said, it becomes even more ridiculous when the guy has almost a 1 in 1 strike rate.

Fair enough. I just think that with more work on the training ground he could become a better player than he already is. There is a reason why he is not in the Scottish team and there is a reason why Premier League clubs didn't come calling in the summer. He is blessed with attributes that can't be taught - the instinctive positioning in and around the penalty area - but there are other things that he can improve that would make him a far better player and one that would walk into the Scottish team. Of course every player needs to improve - look at the debates on this board about Kean, Lowe, Dann etc.

Kean 7/10 - Nothing much to do but his kicking looked better

Kane 6.5/10 - Quiet game going forward, gave ball away needlessly at times

Spurr 7/10 - Really like the look of him but was sometimes bit slow forward and crossing wasn't good

Dann 8.5/10 - Rock Solid - Been brilliant for a while now

Hanley 9/10 - As good as any CB in the league, improved at a great rate

Cariney 8/10 - So comfortable on the ball, always looking to create

Lowe 8.5/10 - Excellent, broke things up, good energy, great passing aswell

Evans 8/10 - Looks a real all rounder, gets stuck in, good passer and nearly scored

Best 8/10 - thought he put himself about really well, good in the air and was a real handful all night

King 9/10 - Was unplayable at times, doubled up on him in 2nd half but excellent again

Rhodes 8.5/10 - always looks dangerous, class again, great finish, 9 in 7 games and is strong for size of him

I think the reason Spurr was a little slower getting forward was because we were against a team who were playing with wing backs. He needed to keep some in reserve for their lad coming forward and there's no point being caught out so high up the field when if there's one person who doesn't necessarily need support going forward it's King.

Rhodes plays on the shoulder of the last defender. That's his game and that's how he gets his chances. If he tried to be something else he would not be there when the chance came and would not be so effective. Yes he is a luxury player but he is also a match winner. Accept him for what he is or lose his effectiveness.

Thought last night was the best out of possession performance that i've seen Jordan Rhodes play to date.

After last nights game cant wait for the Wigan game.

Nitpicking Rhodes' overall game again, after he's won us yet another match, is a very poor do.

Did he win it all on his lonesome? Kept a clean sheet, carved out the chances, finished them off. Wow what a player!

I too have been critical of Rhodes involvement and lack of contribution in some games, especially last season. However, I must say I have been much more impressed of late with him this time round. I am guessing, but get the impression he has really worked hard on the poorer areas of his game and is slowly reaping the rewards. His finishing was slightly off colour last night, but not his effort, or general play. Involvement with the Scottish squad at International level and also training each day alongside some of the better players we have had here will also be helping him develope.

Whatever, fans need to realise he is only one of our team and will need 10 others to prosper. ALL of which did well last night, contributing to a good performance and much deserved team win.

Great win for Rovers.

These are the games we need to be winning if we're to have a successful season And arguably they're the hardest to win, because as the away team Watford and their like will probably sit back and counter. So credit all round for a good win.

4-4-2 seems to be suiting us well, and it's great to hear Best is getting more involved and making a positive contribution. Hopefully this will take some of the pressure off Rhodes. Also think Evans may be the missing link in midfield that we've been crying out for.

Been slightly critical of Rhodes's all round game in the past but thought he was far better doing the 'nasty' stuff last night and of course his finish was exemplary and won us the game.

Mind you, he made a right mess when he ignored Cairney's shout late on for an easy second.

Archived