BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Watford - Tuesday 1 October - Kick-off 19:45

• Backroom

Fair enough. I just think that with more work on the training ground he could become a better player than he already is. There is a reason why he is not in the Scottish team and there is a reason why Premier League clubs didn't come calling in the summer. He is blessed with attributes that can't be taught - the instinctive positioning in and around the penalty area - but there are other things that he can improve that would make him a far better player and one that would walk into the Scottish team. Of course every player needs to improve - look at the debates on this board about Kean, Lowe, Dann etc.

I agree with everything you say but must add this:

What makes you think he isn't working on other attributes?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. I just think that with more work on the training ground he could become a better player than he already is. There is a reason why he is not in the Scottish team and there is a reason why Premier League clubs didn't come calling in the summer. He is blessed with attributes that can't be taught - the instinctive positioning in and around the penalty area - but there are other things that he can improve that would make him a far better player and one that would walk into the Scottish team. Of course every player needs to improve - look at the debates on this board about Kean, Lowe, Dann etc.

You're right PB but do you not think the work already put in on the training ground already is paying dividends to Rhodes' all round game?

Last season he didn't work the channels, hastle the defenders as first line of defence, seldom came out wide or short to receive a pass and was generally just an excellent 'tart liner'. I've not seen him live yet this season but have seen all the games on Rovers player and for me, his improvement in those areas this season are there for all to see.

The main areas I think he will struggle to improve are strength in holding off defenders and the real Achilles heel, a turn of pace.

Personally I hope he doesn't make too much more progress as far as Rovers are concerned, unless we're fortunate enough to go up of course!

Did he win it all on his lonesome? Kept a clean sheet, carved out the chances, finished them off. Wow what a player!

Don't be deliberately obtuse, it doesn't suit you. In common parlance, if someone scores the winning goal, they've won the match for their side. Yes, good defending and teamwork are involved but if you don't score, you don't win. Rhodes just happens to have a uncanny knack for it.

• Backroom

You're right PB but do you not think the work already put in on the training ground already is paying dividends to Rhodes' all round game?

Last season he didn't work the channels, hastle the defenders as first line of defence, seldom came out wide or short to receive a pass and was generally just an excellent 'tart liner'. I've not seen him live yet this season but have seen all the games on Rovers player and for me, his improvement in those areas this season are there for all to see.

The main areas I think he will struggle to improve are strength in holding off defenders and the real Achilles heel, a turn of pace.

Personally I hope he doesn't make too much more progress as far as Rovers are concerned, unless we're fortunate enough to go up of course!

Just to be picky, I do feel he's actually quite good at this given his relatively slight build. However, it may be a case of being well-balanced (certainly required for some of the finishes we've seen from him).

Just to be picky, I do feel he's actually quite good at this given his relatively slight build. However, it may be a case of being well-balanced (certainly required for some of the finishes we've seen from him).

I'd be inclined to agree with you ME but what I was really alluding to is his all round body strength, particularly upper body.

To be totally controversial, perhaps he could do with dining with Dunny and Grant Hanley for a couple of months!

From my seat I thought there were 11 players on the pitch and thee subs used who all played an equally important part in winning us the match. I don't think Saint Jordan could have won it without a little help from the rest of the team and I'm sure he would be the first to agree.

"St. Jordan?" - good grief very poor form that Parson, you're much better than that normally .

Just because he continues to prove you and his other critics wrong week after week no need whatsoever to be churlish about the lad.

If he was any better he wouldn't be in the Championship. Premier League clubs will come knocking sooner or later because he scores so many goals regardless of his weaknesses. He is always in the right place at the right time and has scored 9 in the last 7. There are areas he could work on but lets face it, its not like he could score many more is it? The guy is lethal.

I wonder if people would complain if we received a one goal start before every game? Because that's effectively what we're getting with Rhodes in his current form.

If he carries on at his current rate and the midfield and defence do their job in any particular game then whilst you'd hope for a bit of embellishment that's the three points in the bag right there.

If he were still here I bet you wouldn't find Allardyce with his passion for statistics turning his nose up at Rhodes' uncanny scoring knack.

I thought Rovers were excellent and every player played their part in the win. Great win and up to 8th now

the back four and Lowe and Evans were defensively solid and didn't allow Watford to play. Deeney and McGugan were kept very quiet and didn't much all game.

Bowyer got his tactics spot on and deserve praised for that.

King's pace is awesome.

My man of the match was the entire team cos everyone played the part in the win.

Gary Bowyer's Blue and White Army!!!

I agree with everything you say but must add this:

What makes you think he isn't working on other attributes?

I'm sure he is and hopefully we will continue to reap the dividends. The last two games have seen a more mobile Rhodes and I suspect having a partner alongside him has helped.

"St. Jordan?" - good grief very poor form that Parson, you're much better than that normally .

Just because he continues to prove you and his other critics wrong week after week no need whatsoever to be churlish about the lad.

The "St" was in answer to a comment suggesting that Rhodes won the game for the Rovers on his own. Last night was a team effort if there ever was one. As we saw last season scoring goals is great but if the rest of the team isn't working then you still end up in a relegation battle. This season we have a much better balanced team and Rhodes goals will, hopefully, bring us greater rewards. Suggesting that a player can improve is not being churlish. I think we have seen in the last two games that he has improved certain aspects of his game and hopefully that will continue. I think most of the supporters who you call 'critics' simply want the lad to become the best he possibly can be. Kean is a great shot stopper but that doesn't mean he can't improve his kicking and dealing with crosses.

The "St" was in answer to a comment suggesting that Rhodes won the game for the Rovers on his own. Last night was a team effort if there ever was one. As we saw last season scoring goals is great but if the rest of the team isn't working then you still end up in a relegation battle. This season we have a much better balanced team and Rhodes goals will, hopefully, bring us greater rewards. Suggesting that a player can improve is not being churlish. I think we have seen in the last two games that he has improved certain aspects of his game and hopefully that will continue. I think most of the supporters who you call 'critics' simply want the lad to become the best he possibly can be. Kean is a great shot stopper but that doesn't mean he can't improve his kicking and dealing with crosses.

He didn't say he won the game on his own, he was saying his goal won us the game and it's generally accepted that goals win games.

Anyway criticising Rhodes is downright embarrassing when he is in such form. Anyone doing so should be made to sit in their pants wearing a big pointy hat with a D on it at the front of the Riverside on match days.

Couldn't care about how he would do in the PL for now. Couldn't care if he gets picked by Scotland ever.

I thought we were very disciplined and the more I see of Evans, the more impressed I am. King deserves credit again as he was unplayable at times. Still feel he is lacking the final ball but hopefully that will come in time.

How did Lowe get MOM?

Evans is good. Kean needs to stop looking up and deliberating . Get to the by line and knock it across the 6 yard box... if a striker doesn't get there it's his fault. Looking around for a pass is like writing a letter to a competant defender.

As for Lowe .... rem it was 4 against a Carlos Passaball 5 midfielders. Much of Lowe's best work is off the ball closing down opponents and narrowing angles. Cairney and Marshall and Best and Dunn and King are all well and good but rem every two brickies need a hod carrier.

Interesting listening to Bowyer's post match interview on Radio Rovers last night. He said that during the summer they had specificaly scouted for somebody who could take a long throw ... to provide an outlet against teams who were proving difficult to break down. I bet GB took particular delight in last nights goal.

Yet lots on here derided Allardyce for just that. Nowt so queer as folk eh?

Very good performance last night I thought. Not to many seem to have mentioned him, but I thought Kean had a very solid game, good on crosses and seemed to command the box a lot more.

The opposite for me. He looked like he doesn't have a clue as to when to stick and when to twist.

I wonder if people would complain if we received a one goal start before every game? Because that's effectively what we're getting with Rhodes in his current form.

Effectively we have a one goal start as you say but the kicker is that whilst we have a one goal start it's only with 10 men! Quite a conundrum.

Rhodes not only scored the goal but also ran his heart out - pressurising defenders and the keeper. Making runs into channels when we needed an outball. He went for everything he could have been expected to and more. He is fairly lightweight in build so when he was holding the ball up he did get knocked off it a few times - but he put his body in the way so got us free kicks.

I read someone on here a while ago say roberts was a better forward - the man's shots to goals ratio was shocking. People moaning about rhodes either don't watch the games, want to be contrary, or need to moan about something now we are doing well.

If we had lionel messi there would be some on here saying, yeah he gets a few goals but he's a bit short - jason roberts, now he had the right build for a striker

Archived