BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Watford - Tuesday 1 October - Kick-off 19:45

Made up with the win, thought the vast majority had very good games. Overall I thought we deserved the win, we won the battle in midfield with Evans and Lowe having very good games and Cairney looked very assured on the ball and was always willing to receive it. King had a great 2nd half, I think we changed his position to be alittle deeper in the 2nd half as the ball was played to his feet a lot in the 1st which really nullified his threat as he couldn't unleash pace. Some of Kings second half runs had the ground on their feet!

Thought we looked solid at the back with all being defensively good, Spurr and Kane both played quite a lot of stray passes going forwards but looked good at the back. Kean got a clean sheet under his belt and looked assured coming for high balls under pressure which can only be a plus for his confidence.

Up front I think with Best and Rhodes it either clicks straight away or it just really doesn't work, I don't think Best necessarily had a bad game it was just it didn't come off. Thought Rhodes actually missed some very good chances he took the ball off Cairneys head when I think he'd have buried it and from my seat it looked like Best (I think) was about the bury the ball when he took it down but Jordan nabbed it off his toe.

Thought the ref was very poor tonight, fell for all Watfords tricks and I couldn't believe it with 5 mins to go he controlled the ball and placed their free kick for them.

Good work from all involved tonight (and Ollsson) and I thought the atmosphere was excellent in the 2nd half!!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to say as well, what a good player Cairney is at this level. The Watford team recognised it as well when they singled him out for some rough treatment in the first half.

I think it's very important we are able to add him permanently to the ranks in January.

This! The lad has that technical ability to turn on a sixpence and find room. His control is similar to Benni mac when players are around him and he rarely wastes the ball. Not bothered about bringing anyone else in get him in permanently. Losing him in January would be a blow.

Well impressed with the performance tonight. We shouldn't fear anyone in this league.

Last year at this stage we were near the top but only heading one way. This year it feels like we're heading the other way.

Shades of the last promotion season about it. Started off slow but when the younger players confidence grew we were a class above.

Funny game football. I thought Best did well tonight, put himself about and competed well in the air. Marshall was excellent as well when he came on.

We pressed the ball excellently all game.

Two small niggles if anything.

1_ Spurr needs to be a bit more decisive with his passing, he had lots of opportunities to dink it over the top for King in the first half.

2) Can't understand why we don't leave King as the player up front when we are defending set pieces. His pace would ensure at least 2-3 defenders stay back

Genuinely optimistic for the rest of the season. Injuries permitting we are more than capable of finishing in or around the play offs. If we start with the present eleven and add Dunn, Rochina and Campbell to the bench then that is one hell of a threat at this level.

Proud to be a Rover tonight.

Tonight was a big test. Beating the likes of Bournemouth comfortably is nice but to go up we're going to have to beat decent teams.

Hopefully we can kick on and have more Watfords than Leicesters and Doncasters.

The team seems to be thriving from having more balance in midfield. Long may it continue

Hopefully Hull will maintain their decent start and Cairney will be surplus to requirements. His contract expires in the summer, right?

That would be great news. We can avoid another Sandomierski (he'd be in my team)

However would Cairney be a target if we go up? ;)

I thought Ben marshall had I bit more about him when he came on(even Fake Ollson looked lively), very promising signs(all round!), I think on paper only QPR have a better squad of players.

Hopefully Hull will maintain their decent start and Cairney will be surplus to requirements. His contract expires in the summer, right?

I think we should cough some money up for him in January because at this rate I think he will have a lot of clubs(some prem) after him when his contracts up.

Best thing about tonight was that we started to feel a real connection with the team again. They looked like they were prepared to work hard for one another. That lifts the crowd who in turn lift the players. Great to see how much they were enjoying themselves and to feel their determination, something we've been sadly lacking

2) Can't understand why we don't leave King as the player up front when we are defending set pieces. His pace would ensure at least 2-3 defenders stay back

We were discussing this at halftime. He puts the fear of God into the opposition defenders!

I said earlier I was going back to not posting but I will after that .. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I had some passion too. . Tell you what that ref ranks up there with George Courtney .

My mate got a text saying darwen end was fighting amongst themselves .

Meh, whatever. We are the BBE. Keep posting mate. Don't let them basta rds grind ya down.

Hopefully we can kick on and have more Watfords than Leicesters and Doncasters.

The team seems to be thriving from having more balance in midfield. Long may it continue

A shame you'll not be there to see it though, massive "blue and white army". How was your walk this evening? Pleasant?

Haven't seen a team cheat and dive (and stay down) so much in a long time. Justice was served IMO.

What a cracking atmosphere in the last 20 mins plus 5 to see the boys home. 12,941 but it felt like double that towards the end.

• Backroom

Haven't seen a team cheat and dive (and stay down) so much in a long time. Justice was served IMO.

What a cracking atmosphere in the last 20 mins plus 5 to see the boys home. 12,941 but it felt like double that towards the end.

Half of them are from Italy so not really a surprise.

Rovers are ok at the moment.

Rochina/Dunn will make a difference.

When Best is fit he will be better too.

Could do with an experienced midfielder.

Have to get away from Plan A and B being give it to King.

Also Spurr is poor.

Watford are the best team I've seen in this league so far. And I thought we might get hammered at first.

What a great effort in the second half.

The game was a real cracker, the total opposite to Huddersfield two weeks ago.

My MOM was Evans but no-one played badly or caused us to be weak in any position.

Best was daft to handle the ball when he and the ball were going nowhere. I think Dann has a groin injury.

Their No 20 was brilliant but, like most of his colleagues, cheated and play-acted. I appreciate their football skills but I cannot stand their histrionics.

I'm very impressed with the progress GB and his team are making. :brfcsmilie:

I wasn't at the game tonight but it seems a lot of people are saying Spurr had a poor game. Was he really that bad or just having an off day compared to the rest of the lads who seemingly put in a great shift.

I've seen him a few times this season and against Derby and Bournemouth specifically thought he looked really solid at the back and a danger crossing the ball and going forward in general. Is this just me?

I wasn't at the game tonight but it seems a lot of people are saying Spurr had a poor game. Was he really that bad or just having an off day compared to the rest of the lads who seemingly put in a great shift.

I've seen him a few times this season and against Derby and Bournemouth specifically thought he looked really solid at the back and a danger crossing the ball and going forward in general. Is this just me?

No. Spurr is a good left back. Far better than Martin Olsson (in defending).

No-one played badly tonight.

Just back from the game. First half was not great - the diving by the Watford players was very frustrating (especially as the ref bought it every single time)

Second half started the same and I was thinking 'Huddersfield' all over again.. The 'trouble' that Abbey spoke of was nothing much but this seemed to galvanise the support from the Darwen End and this in turn seemed to have an effect on the pitch. The substitution of Best was a game changer for me and the support from both ends of the ground was the best I've seen it for some time (great to hear the BBE in full voice).

Rhodes goal was delicous and although Watford tried to apply some pressure they just couldn't cope with our team and Rhodes was unlucky not to score again.

Archived