BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Watford - Tuesday 1 October - Kick-off 19:45

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't at the game tonight but it seems a lot of people are saying Spurr had a poor game. Was he really that bad or just having an off day compared to the rest of the lads who seemingly put in a great shift.

I've seen him a few times this season and against Derby and Bournemouth specifically thought he looked really solid at the back and a danger crossing the ball and going forward in general. Is this just me?

Only Plastic Head saying it from what I've seen. I thought Spurr was poor against Huddersfield, but I didn't see tonight's game. And when I've seen him previously, he has been good.

tbf, he has been giving praise lately(when its been deserved)

Ironic isn't it TJ? Criticise and you get shouted down. Praise and you get shouted down.

Hopefully the club can secure Cairney's signature in January rather than extend the loan as we may not be allowed as there may be competition for him if he carries on.

Only those who've attended can really comment. Even the best tv coverage can't convey most of the atmosphere and the feeling the players and the team give you. There's no reason not to be there if you can. This is a team, despite the owners and the permanent threat of certain idiots and unscrupulous characters interfering, that you can go and enjoy. They get a lot wrong, mostly because they are learning together, but they are getting a lot right and deserve our support. How long since we could say that?

Only Plastic Head saying it from what I've seen. I thought Spurr was poor against Huddersfield, but I didn't see tonight's game. And when I've seen him previously, he has been good.

Spurr looks solid defensively- something we haven't had at LB for a bit. My only criticism of him last night was he was quite ponderous on the ball. He got it a lot of times in the first half and had plenty of opportunities to dink it over the right back so King would be in a straight race with the full back (and we all know who's winning that). Every time, he seemed to take a few seconds then play the ball into Kings feet.

Overall though, best LB we've had for some time.

Be a quiet place Gumboots if comment was restricted to the 10% of the town who went. And an even more miniscule percentage of those who are members of the forum. That's all I am saying.

Not saying you can't comment on things rovers but when you comment on what you hear on radio or see on tv you must be aware that you're commenting on someone else's edited view, with all the bias they have. I listened to and watched a match last week where the commentator had already decided which team were going to win, was full of praise for their every touch and dismissed the other teams efforts. I could see it just wasn't so even on tv

Super result. Still buzzing from the victory.

Didn't expect a win and to be honest would have been more than happy with a point but to get all 3 is a very pleasant surprise!

I thought we were very disciplined and the more I see of Evans, the more impressed I am. King deserves credit again as he was unplayable at times. Still feel he is lacking the final ball but hopefully that will come in time.

Great defensive performance too and Dann deserves a mention.

How did Lowe get MOM?

How did Lowe get MOM?

Didn't make any mistakes that I can recall so maybe it was a case of not noticing he was on the pitch. There were better performances for me though.

Perhaps Josh King has enough Peter Jackson watches?

How did Lowe get MOM?

There were lots of potential MOM - Evans and Cairney were excellent, as were Kane, Hanley and Dann - of course King added the excitement but lacked end product. In fact it was a good all-round team performance - with everyone contributing. Lowe was definitely one of the better performers - whose pace and industry kept check on a very good and mobile Watford midfield. Though only passing simply, he never gave the ball away and was always passing and moving. Tonight he showed exactly why Bowyer continues to play him when some fans on here would drop him. IMO opinion his impact is vastly underrated - and the midfield trio of Evans, Lowe and Cairney is showing genuine promise.

Spurr looks solid defensively- something we haven't had at LB for a bit. My only criticism of him last night was he was quite ponderous on the ball. He got it a lot of times in the first half and had plenty of opportunities to dink it over the right back so King would be in a straight race with the full back (and we all know who's winning that). Every time, he seemed to take a few seconds then play the ball into Kings feet.

Overall though, best LB we've had for some time.

Interesting listening to Bowyer's post match interview on Radio Rovers last night. He said that during the summer they had specificaly scouted for somebody who could take a long throw ... to provide an outlet against teams who were proving difficult to break down. I bet GB took particular delight in last nights goal.

Not saying you can't comment on things rovers but when you comment on what you hear on radio or see on tv you must be aware that you're commenting on someone else's edited view, with all the bias they have. I listened to and watched a match last week where the commentator had already decided which team were going to win, was full of praise for their every touch and dismissed the other teams efforts. I could see it just wasn't so even on tv

Who listens to the commentary on the TV. Load of wafflers. Especially Sky. Usually on in the pub and no-one listens to the waffling commentary in the pub, do they?

As for radio. It's Radio Lancs so the bias is Rovers way. Maybe not as blinkeredly biased as Radio Rovers but biased none-the-less so I'm not sure what you mean. The commentator said prior to the goal the game was a bit cagey with hardly any shots. Maybe not as indepth as it would have been had Rovers been the main commentary but it ties in with what the father-in-law said, who went. However it seemed to be overlooked that I said winning cagey affairs is a sign of a team heading the right way.

I wonder why managers use match video's as training aids. Maybe you need to tell them the error of their ways? ;)

Either way we are digressing from what was a fine win and a big step in the right direction. So we'll leave it there eh?

How was watfords play acting last night? I remember at their place last year they were throwing themselves on the floor if a breeze blew.

Same as last time, they play the "head injury" rule to perfection, lose a headed challenge in their own half in a dangerous position and stay down. Also both of their centre backs kept implying to the ref that Rhodes and Best were elbowing with every challenge which clearly wasn't happening but with the nightmare the ref had you couldn't rule him out sending one of our lads off!!

Also Spurr is poor.

No he isn't. He had a bit if an off game last night but not enough to warrant labelling him a poor player, especially especially considering his other performances.

For what it's worth I don't think he was 100% fit, there was quite a few occasions where he had a chance to bomb on/overlap King into space and he didn't do, the Tommy Spurr I've seen so far this season usually needs very little encouragement to do that.

Worth mentioning what a good player Evans is, we've been missing that sort of player for a long time.

Have only read the last couple of pages, but here's my take -

Sat in the riverside last night. Why anyone would want a ST there, I don't know. Views not great and the coffee's worse. Anyway, first half I thought was quite uninspiring. Some decent play, a lot of average play. Thought Watford, while not being great, just looked a bit stronger and a bit quicker than us. They looked a bit threatening, but couldn't really get their final ball right. Rovers defended well enough. Watching Rhodes and Best, I was thinking that Best still doesn't offer a lot. He's the kind of player who makes you think he should have something to offer, but never does. Don't rate him. Watching Rhodes I just wondered why, when he was getting no joy at all, does he not try to change his game? Why doesn't he drop away from the centre backs, run the Channel's - just do something different. Anyway, as usual, he popped up with the winner.

Second half improved as the game went on, even more so when Rovers scored. Watford knew they needed to do more and as a result started to get a bit disorganised at the back. Rovers, gaining confidence from their lead started to take advantage of that and certainly looked a much better side than they did earlier. Rhodes, king, Evans and Cairney all threatened. Watford pressurised, but rovers defended their lead very well and deserved the win.

One or two more comments. Evens and Cairney in midfield look good in possession, but aren't the strongest when the opposition have the ball, but they both did well enough last night. Spurr looks average-ish. At least he's an out and out left back, something we've not had for a lot of years. He gives us balance as well, which is important. He's not got a lot of finesse to his game and isn't the best crosser of a ball. He's average, but he does a job. As for King, good job he's quick, but as a footballer I don't particularly rate him. It can't be denied though, that when he finds space behind his full back, he can give him a tough time. He turns defences and makes 'em run towards their own goal, which they hate. His use of the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

Why any rovers fan thinks this league is hard, beats me. From what I saw last season and have seen so far this season, any team with just a bit of something about them can get up there. The sides at the bottom really are poor, while the better sides are all decent, but beatable. Bowyer has stopped the rot, brought in a few players who know the league and work hard for him. I suspect that away from home we'll still see the problems of not getting enough possession, just as we've had since Kean took over.

How was watfords play acting last night? I remember at their place last year they were throwing themselves on the floor if a breeze blew.

Surprisingly enough when we went ahead they stopped spending ages pretending to be injured to break up the game. Before that- when we were getting on top of them and one of their players got touched they would go down like they had been shot, demand the physio, then recover and be sprinting within a minute.

Added to that they were always in the ref's ear, and when rhodes got fouled their centre-back tried to lift him up to his feet to get on with things (they were losing by that point of course)

In summary their play acting was disgraceful and it made it even sweeter when rhodes (who was fouled most of the night) popped up to send them home with the points they deserved.

• Backroom

Watching Rhodes I just wondered why, when he was getting no joy at all, does he not try to change his game? Why doesn't he drop away from the centre backs, run the Channel's - just do something different. Anyway, as usual, he popped up with the winner.

I would imagine because he's been instructed not to by the coaching staff. If he's doing what he's told you can't really criticise him, can you?

Perhaps if he's dropped back to get a ball or run over to the channels he isn't in a position to score the winning goal, hmm?

Their play acting was very frustrating, made worse by a poor refereeing performance. Is it ok to assume the play acting is the Italian influence? Actually, I thought Huddersfield had a horrible time wasting virus, as well.

I am hopeful for Wigan now. We should benefit from extra recovery time too?

Green shoots highly visible..

I would imagine because he's been instructed not to by the coaching staff. If he's doing what he's told you can't really criticise him, can you?

Perhaps if he's dropped back to get a ball or run over to the channels he isn't in a position to score the winning goal, hmm?

Like shearer did you mean? Best right winger we had at the club was Shearer, better than Rippers.

• Backroom

Like shearer did you mean? Best right winger we had at the club was Shearer, better than Rippers.

Different time, different setup, different team. Shearer was a completely different player to Jordan, had far more strengths. Comparing them isn't useful.

Very happy for Bowyer today as results and performances improve. This will buy some time for the newer players to settle further and injured players to recover, whilst allowing GB some freedom to develope our style in the way he wishes.

As others have said it is not the greatest standard in this division but pleasingly we look like we will be competitive whoever we play. Still a lot of work to do of course but that is understandable with so many new players, young players and others devoid of lasting confidence.

Special mention for Jason Lowe as the torrent of early season criticism against him was crass and unjustified and it was always pretty obvious he would be a vital part of the team this year. I am pleased he is now receiving some praise for his efforts and fans are waking up to what he brings to the side.

Archived