BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Times article

folkdevil

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to say it, but so far this season, they have the gloating rights.

Though it is still 34 year since they beat Rovers.

Interesting to note that Burnley's biggest celebration in over 34 years is not a premiership title, a runners up spot, a top 4 place, the Worthington Cup or even the Full Members Cup at Wembley. No ...pride of place goes to a dodgy,corrupt foreign takeover of a club up the road!

Too deep for me Toppers, please elaborate.

Referring to SamDingle's post. When Venky's took over, I convinced myself the Trust would've passed the baton to worthy owners instead of selling us out to the first group who could meet the valuation. I thought they'd honour Jack's memory that much, at least. But when we learnt that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was the middle-man for Rothschild and by extension, the Trust, it shows how desperate they were to get rid of us.

Didn't realise it was three years of Venkys. Blimey. What a ride eh?

If you ever want a good read, dig out the 'Venkys takeover complete' thread from way back then. For all the 20/20 hindsight 'it was obvious what would happen' posts now, it certainly wasn't then. Except to me, den and some guy called 'bob'.

True visionaries I guess. My much ridiculed contribution on the day?...

"This is a great day for football. For those of you, and there are plenty, who don't know what life was like before 'uncle' Jack, you're about to find out. If you're lucky." 19th November, 2010.

Prophetic, huh?

Self imposed silence broke for this ....

GO @#/? YOURSELF !!!

No need whatsoever for you to come on here gloating you horrible turd!!!!

Things and tensions are high enough without you coming and winding everyone up !!!

Knob off and get back to scruffy little hovel !!!

Talk about being wise after the event! Some utter tripe being spewed on here.

NOBODY could have foreseen just how catastrophic Venky's stewardship would have been, unless your pal Doc Brown was lending you his Delorean!

Two very early signs spelled it out K Hod.

Firstly, their announcement that we could get into the CL, with just £5m/year. Quite simply that showed that they didn't have any clue whatsoever what they had bought........

And secondly - John Williams resigning. After that first announcement, I remember posting on here that fans should watch closely how John Williams would react. Williams basically walked when he couldn't persuade the owners to set a budget. There was no control over the clubs spending.

The signs were very definitely there. It was just a matter of recognising them.

Referring to SamDingle's post. When Venky's took over, I convinced myself the Trust would've passed the baton to worthy owners instead of selling us out to the first group who could meet the valuation. I thought they'd honour Jack's memory that much, at least. But when we learnt that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was the middle-man for Rothschild and by extension, the Trust, it shows how desperate they were to get rid of us.

Understood, Trust mk1 as opposed to mk2. Other than reflected glory, those associated with mk1 never could give a toss about the Rovers.

With regards to Jack's legacy, I wholeheartedly agree, it should have been shown much more respect but I guess that's the world we all now live in.

Anyway, @#/? all this. We are the Rovers and we hate Burnley!

• Backroom

Firstly, their announcement that we could get into the CL, with just £5m/year. Quite simply that showed that they didn't have any clue whatsoever what they had bought........

And secondly - John Williams resigning. After that first announcement, I remember posting on here that fans should watch closely how John Williams would react. Williams basically walked when he couldn't persuade the owners to set a budget. There was no control over the clubs spending.

I always thought the bit in bold was stupid BUT I can understand how it was sold to them. Remember under Hughes and Allardyce we had youth and bargains in abundance. After Nelsen (free), Fonzi (400k), Samba(350k), Jones (youth), McCarthy (3m), SantaCruz (3.5m) etc I can see what they were sold in terms of 'ease' of investment.

The upsetting thing is that if they'd simply done as they promised (5m/window, kept the board and staff in place) we'd likely have been fine under the structure in place. Maybe even another cup or European tour thrown in.

Den - who do you think was the originator behind the Champions League statement?

It was abundantly clear they hadn't a clue what they'd taken on.

They didn't - sold a dream by Kentaro.

Den - who do you think was the originator behind the Champions League statement?

I think they were persuaded that the £5m/transfer window could move the club forward - and as Mike says, that's not too difficult to accept. Somehow, that's then been accelerated to it being enough to dislodge one of the top four clubs, which we all know was ridiculous. Now whether the owners dreamed that one up, or "someone else" persuaded them that it was quite possible, we might never know. However they fell hook, line and sinker for it.

Just that in itself, should have told those fans who still believe that no-one could see what was about to happen, that the owners were in la la land. As I said, the other early pointer was when JW walked away, yet there were many at the time who didn't see the implication of that.

This is the most mysterious bit of all for me. JW was held in high regard everywhere.........yet his expertise was ignored and other counsel prevailed. Hard to fathom.

Am I missing something here? Surely Sam was sacked before JW walked? Wasn't that conclusive proof that Venkys were not to be trusted in anything? Contrary to their promises as well as to all common sense.

After that, I knew we were going down, and have been utterly opposed to the wretches ever since.

Am I missing something here? Surely Sam was sacked before JW walked? Wasn't that conclusive proof that Venkys were not to be trusted in anything? Contrary to their promises as well as to all common sense.

After that, I knew we were going down, and have been utterly opposed to the wretches ever since.

Sacking Sam wasn't an indication that they couldn't run our finances 47er, whereas £5m and JW walking were. Sacking Sam and replacing with Kean was another, but different sign that some fans either didn't recognise, or chose to ignore.

All the evidence was there very early on, if people took off their blue n white tinted specs and looked.

It became obvious very quickly that Kentaro/SEM were going to run the club via Coco & Tantric and Venkys were just owners/part owners/investors. The first letter by JW to India clearly points to this yet it still didn't click with the general Rovers public. In hindsight that letter with certain bits underlined should have been blown up on the front page of the telerag. Penny might have dropped then.

It became obvious very quickly that Kentaro/SEM were going to run the club via Coco & Tantric and Venkys were just owners/part owners/investors. The first letter by JW to India clearly points to this yet it still didn't click with the general Rovers public. In hindsight that letter with certain bits underlined should have been blown up on the front page of the telerag. Penny might have dropped then.

But that letter wasn't exposed by Sporting Intelligence until January 2012. By that point, most people had sussed out what was going on.

Archived