BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Play Offs, Really?

TBTF

You are talking far too much sense there for the negative brigade who inhabit this messageboard, rovers 11. The fact that Gary has had to rebuild a team around young players who will have ups and downs seems to be ignored by the glory hunters who still believe we are in the Jack Walker/Walker Trust era. It was great while it lasted but it has gone, just like other successful periods at the Rovers came and went. It seems to me that for the first time since the owners arrived that we have a management team who have a clear vision of how they want to develop the club in terms of the type of players that they want to bring into the club. This is a season of transition but, of course, that doesn't sell season tickets and so of course things are going to be talked up. A look at the club's history will show that in the 20th Century there were two successful periods - just before the First World War and Jack's era. In between there were some successful seasons, some poor seasons and the overwhelming majority like this one when we won some games, lost some games and drew some games to finish mid-table. It's simply a fact of life of following a small town club.

I can not believe one would hold this opinion and forget the main reason we went down - Venkys. It's not like we had a swell era, but then results just went against us, and that's it, back to the lower leagues. We were doing a great job with what we had, in the Premiership....and then some chicken farmers from India came in, bought the club, the FA uriniated all over us by not protecting us and stopping this debacle, and then the chicken farmers proceded to systemtiacally destroy the club and leave us where we are now (yet unfortunately they have not actually left yet.) This is not simply a "fact of life," this is a crime that makes this sport and the whole idea of fairplay a complete and utter mockery. What is the point of even competing if this is just how things are going to go? What is the point of pushing for promotion, getting back into the Premiership maybe one day, trying to rebuild a respectable club when some idiots with money in their pocket and 0 understanding of football and 0 apprecation of the history of the club can just waltz right back in, destroy everything we have worked for in the space of months and send us back down?

We did not simply get relegated, we were robbed and stripped bare of what little we had from an idiotic corporation, and as long as they are in charge there is not the slightest seed of hope this will change.

And if we don't stand up to this, who will? The FA have shown they couldn't give the slightest toss. The other clubs certainly don't care. If we just accept things, then that's that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Where we rightfully belong"....are you joking? Why the hell do we rightfully belong in the premiership ahead of much bigger clubs who aren't there?

Your clueless posts and lack of understanding have been pissing me off for months. Turn your mobile off, tuck your shirt in and get back to your lesson.

Because we earned our place there with hard work and proper club management that was the envy of all these bigger clubs?

And sadly my "clueless posts and lack of understnading" have predicted point by point exactly what will happen to the club for years. I've called people out on defeatist small-minded mentality that I knew would cost us dear, and tragically it has. "Supporters" like you get angry at that, but I couldn't give a slightest toss, as the only thing that matters to me is what's happening with the club.

• Backroom

The main worry is the uncertainty

I think most people would be content enough with how things are (minus the baffling reluctance to learn from mistakes) but there is the lingering fear of what will happen when we fail to reach the playoffs

Give the manager time and things will be looking up, 'promotion or bust' and it's almost doomsday

The fans don't know which it is and are bound to be concerned

The main worry is the uncertainty

I think most people would be content enough with how things are (minus the baffling reluctance to learn from mistakes) but there is the lingering fear of what will happen when we fail to reach the playoffs

Give the manager time and things will be looking up, 'promotion or bust' and it's almost doomsday

The fans don't know which it is and are bound to be concerned

Agreed. The vacuum is the owners' and " board's"(!) fault. No leadership, no clear message, no trust, uncertainty, fear for future. Fans draw( invent) their own conclusions.

On top of that go extremely frustrating performances on the field...

Love Rovers, but I am so sick of these performances...If the cat had been in the kitchen tonight, the RSPCA might have had something to say!

Simply we aren't good enough. How many games have we won by more than one goal since beating Bolton and Barnsley? From memory one at Bournemouth. In the games we have won we have been hanging on in the latter stages.

Yeah it was Bournemouth the last time we won by more than 1 goal and that was 21 games ago. That stat really tells you all you need to know about Bowyer's mind-set. And the Bournemouth game we sat back the whole second half even though they were poor at the back.

IMO I think we'll finish where we are in the league at the moment. With a large slice of luck, we could still finish in 6th place but it will need luck.

Bowyer has his faults but we are in a better position now than I and several of local radio experts thought we' be.

Just out of interest, how many of those on here complaining about not going up were the ones saying we'll be lucky to stay up?

I find it astounding that some people on twitter are claiming that we have not progressed in the past 12 months because we have a similar points tally now as to what we had at this stage last season.

That view is just completely wrong and very narrow minded. Look at the bigger picture...no shebby, no wild spending on average players, a settled manager, 3rd best home defensive record in the league, some deadwood cleared, quality young players like Gestede, Cairney, Marshall and Evans brought in, and most importantly a strong work ethic and pride in Blackburn rovers restored.

Please tell me again how we haven't made progress...

Many of the people now moaning because we're struggling to break into the play-off positions are the same people who were tipping us for a relegation battle/bottom half finish before the season began.

Not many people actually expected us to be where we are in the table, yet seem unhappy with the way things are going.

Things have improved drastically on AND off the pitch since this time last season. Nobody can argue with that.

Things have improved drastically on AND off the pitch since this time last season. Nobody can argue with that.

I very much argue with it. Said it until I'm blue in the face but gonna keep saying it, take the diabolical Berg and Appleton out of the equation last season and we'd have made the play-offs at a canter. Bowyer's own record last season was better than how he's done this season, even amongst the disruption going on at the time. Proving to me that we had a better squad last season. We've slashed the wage bill and people are trying to ignore this fact by going on about subjective, flimsy benefits such as having a young squad and exaggerating the minor improvements shown by a few players like Hanley and Cairney.

Our squad has got worse, our manager has stayed the same but because of the squad has done slightly worse, and our financial situation has got worse. Only the league table has got better and the only reason for that is we haven't appointed another Berg/Appleton combo this season. Nothings actually improving from what I can see because any time there does look like an improvement (e.g. after Leeds/City), without fail we follow it up with some poor results.

I find it astounding that some people on twitter are claiming that we have not progressed in the past 12 months because we have a similar points tally now as to what we had at this stage last season.

That view is just completely wrong and very narrow minded. Look at the bigger picture...no shebby, no wild spending on average players, a settled manager, 3rd best home defensive record in the league, some deadwood cleared, quality young players like Gestede, Cairney, Marshall and Evans brought in, and most importantly a strong work ethic and pride in Blackburn rovers restored.

Please tell me again how we haven't made progress...

1 point LESS .. Aye hail hail madam v

Because we earned our place there with hard work and proper club management that was the envy of all these bigger clubs?

And sadly my "clueless posts and lack of understnading" have predicted point by point exactly what will happen to the club for years. I've called people out on defeatist small-minded mentality that I knew would cost us dear, and tragically it has. "Supporters" like you get angry at that, but I couldn't give a slightest toss, as the only thing that matters to me is what's happening with the club.

I agree. I refuse to be reconciled into uncritical acceptance what these b*** have done to our club by saying it is just football reverting to its natural order. BRFC was robbed and abused by individuals for their own ends or we could still be in the Premiership now.

Sadly, people tend to channel their anger against fellow supporters rather than the real culprits...

Shout from the rooftops.."KEAN..ANDERSON..AGNEW....VENKY'S..See what you have done!!!!"

Abbey

I respect your love for Rovers

You have been around a decent length of time! You know its hard to compare points between different seasons especially during the season!. One year you may have stronger teams in the league than the previous year etc.

We seem to be getting people comparing our points tally this year to last. The only points tally that counts is at the end of the season but in reality its league position that really counts! You could have a higher point tally one year but not get promoted but the following year you could with a lower points tally.

Also isn't it likely as the season continues we will compare better points wise? Last year we started well (well we had more than our fair share of luck on the pitch) and progressively we became more of a mess (in terms of the team and revolving door for the managers). This year its more likely we will get better (hopefully) as the season progresses so in theory we will have a better points tally BUT most importantly our league position should be a darn site lot better!

Based on the last 3 games definately not , Forest battered us , Derby were the better team and we couldnt beat a team struggling to stay in the divison , it was about Christmas time i thought if we could put a run together we might just sneak it bearing in mind most of the teams above us still have to come to ewood , but now without the introduction of 2-3 quality players to go straight into the starting 11 we will probably finish roughly where we are now , which at the beginning of the season most of would have accepted

Ok - firstly Forest didn't batter us as it was an extremely flattering score line.

Each of those matches was decided (to an extent) by poor refereeing - Forest's first penalty was so soft it was untrue, we had a stonewall penalty against Derby (to make it 2-1) - and against Barnsley we had penalties turned down and then one given against us for a wonderfull dive from the Barnsley player. Add all that up - we could easily have had 7 or even 9 points out of our last three matches and be safely in the top 6. At the moment, even though there are other problems, I can understand Bowyers frustration.

Ok - firstly Forest didn't batter us as it was an extremely flattering score line.

Each of those matches was decided (to an extent) by poor refereeing - Forest's first penalty was so soft it was untrue, we had a stonewall penalty against Derby (to make it 2-1) - and against Barnsley we had penalties turned down and then one given against us for a wonderfull dive from the Barnsley player. Add all that up - we could easily have had 7 or even 9 points out of our last three matches and be safely in the top 6. At the moment, even though there are other problems, I can understand Bowyers frustration.

Wrong, Forest did batter us and it could have been more than 4 DMTP.

Wrong, Forest did batter us and it could have been more than 4 DMTP.

They did but the 1st goal is always huge and they were gifted that with a shockingly soft penalty. Who knows how the game pans out without that goal. 1 incident can often change all the momentum and play in a game

It's 2 point more so far. But we won the 29th game last season so we need a draw vs the lashers to keep up with last seasons vintage

After Saturday , our next sequence of games is:- Boro (a) Reading (a) Brighton (H) Bolton (a) Burnley(H).

Its a tough little run in anybodys language and we might yet lose the Brighton Home game if they need a replay in the FA Cup. You do get the feeling that the sequence we have just had against what you would regard as weaker teams was our chance to at least enter the play off frame and we didnt manage it.

It doesnt always follow that the harder games will produce less points than the easier ones but our inconsistency , ultimately through lack of quality in certain positions is the reason why we will no doubt finish mid table.Thats because most of our players are average championship players.

As Leonard Venkyhater says ..the problem is that our Club in no way resembles a promotion club with all thats gone on or is going on.It has settled in certain parts , notably under GB at playing level.But we have settled in a regime that is heavily loss making, will continue to be loss making for a couple more years and probably be operating under a transfer embargo pretty soon.

You can't blame Bowyer for that whatever limitations you think he may have.

My issue is that i am raging at the situation we all find ourselves in because of ridiculous decisions, terrible appointments and crass stupidity of our owners.We neednt be here yet we are and to even stay where we are will be a challenge.

For that reason i find it frustrating that elements of the club, fans, press continually fail to look the facts in the face.

Its a clusterfeck and for that Venkys we truly thank you.

In my view any realistic hopes of the the play offs disappeared into the ether with two points from the three home games against Sheffield Wednesday, Brum, and Derby. We're now effectively six points outside the play offs after goal difference is taken into account. Bowyer must take the responsibility for that imo by being far too negative with his tactics in general and persisting with Cairney out wide and the axis of Lowe and Williamson in central midfield. We've never been in the play off positions all season so imo there's little chance of us showing the improvement needed now to get into the play off positions especially with the squad depth having been decimated during the transfer window and no -one really being brought in to compensate.

No chance of playoffs. Never has been. Mid table will be a good result this year. we have got rid of lots of deadwood, we have more of a work ethic now, most of the overpaid wasters have gone or hopefully soon will be, younger team, poisonous atmosphere has now gone, shebby disappeared. This is all progress. Some people think we have some divine right to be in the prem for some reason. We don't. We were punching well above our weight for many years and now it is our turn to go through some tough times. The worst bit is why this came about as we know, but it has happened and the clock cannot be turned back. That is the reality. Bowyer has dealt with it well. He is learning slowly. People who think we were ever going to push for promotion are deluded. You can't go through the scale of mismanagement we have been through and think we can turn it round so quickly. Simply never going to happen. But you can't put that on a poster and try to sell tickets off the back of it. The people complaining where we are now compared to how good it used to be mid table in the prem with such a well managed club will no doubt be the same ones who during those times were actually moaning about the very fact we were only mid table in the prem and had no ambition etc. can't please a lot of our fans as we seem to have a very large proportion who actually enjoy and thrive on negativity. The kean hit the fan, we are where we are. let's get the bottom lips up off he floor and get behind the people who are trying their best to get us into better shape such as Bowyer.

No chance of playoffs. Never has been. Mid table will be a good result this year. we have got rid of lots of deadwood, we have more of a work ethic now, most of the overpaid wasters have gone or hopefully soon will be, younger team, poisonous atmosphere has now gone, shebby disappeared. This is all progress. Some people think we have some divine right to be in the prem for some reason. We don't. We were punching well above our weight for many years and now it is our turn to go through some tough times. The worst bit is why this came about as we know, but it has happened and the clock cannot be turned back. That is the reality. Bowyer has dealt with it well. He is learning slowly. People who think we were ever going to push for promotion are deluded. You can't go through the scale of mismanagement we have been through and think we can turn it round so quickly. Simply never going to happen. But you can't put that on a poster and try to sell tickets off the back of it. The people complaining where we are now compared to how good it used to be mid table in the prem with such a well managed club will no doubt be the same ones who during those times were actually moaning about the very fact we were only mid table in the prem and had no ambition etc. can't please a lot of our fans as we seem to have a very large proportion who actually enjoy and thrive on negativity. The kean hit the fan, we are where we are. let's get the bottom lips up off he floor and get behind the people who are trying their best to get us into better shape such as Bowyer.

Excellent post ratters. The only way forward is to get behind Bowyer and his coaching staff. Promotion was never a reality this season carrying the amount of deadwood we had. We have now made a start in shedding that and we are finally moving in the right direction. It's not going to happen overnight, it's going to take time but the continual negative attitude of some is not going to get the club anywhere.

Archived