BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Times you have got it wrong, really wrong!

Tom

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Hakan Sukur was Turkish ?

In addition to my Murphy and Utuhu gaffes I also remember saying Kevin Davies would be as good as Shearer.

Not an exaggeration to say he didn't quite come up to the mark.

I thought Hakan Sukur was Turkish ?

In addition to my Murphy and Utuhu gaffes I also remember saying Kevin Davies would be as good as Shearer.

Not an exaggeration to say he didn't quite come up to the mark.

:) 2 goals in 22? One of them the keeper should have stopped as he helped bundle it in. To be fair he had looked good in that cup run, (can't remember the details).

I remember towards the end of 98/99, I think it was, that Davies scored 5 goals in a reserve match. Remember hoping at the time it would be the kickstarter needed for his Rovers career, alas he was kept out of the side by Ashley Ward.

Tragically, and painfully....almost never in the past few years. I wish I was wrong all the time, for then we would still be a top flight club. But alas.

The last 8-9 years have been almost a steady downword spiral. People went blue in the face trying to deny or ignore the warning signs, and look where we ended up. It started even before the whole Venkys farce. When we were repeatedly robbed of our best players (and manager), and treated like a feeder club by the big teams, the tragedy was that many of the fans, at least here, not only embraced but seemed to positively delight in the "reality" of the situation. Everyone was too happy to harp on about how Rovers are a tiny club punching way above our weight in the Premiership. Well, when you repeat it enough, and believed it enough, it becomes true.

---one exception: I did think Corrado Grabbi was going to be a good player for us...

^^^^^....He acknowledged he didn't want Mark Hughes originally. Which took some doing really as Hughes was always a top choice for us, with a great playing record and decent achievements at Wales early in his managerial career.

Can't remember who else was in the frame back then but they must have been good!!!

tbh Based on his performances on loan I thought Gresko was a good buy too.... until he signed and he got crocked by Danny Mills and went backwards. A David Bentley in reverse, he was poor until he signed.

Like (many) others I thougt Paul Ince would be a great manager for us, I was happy that we got him over the boring old Sam Allardyce.

Also thought Murphy would be good, even if I thought the contract he was rumored to be on was crazy.

I'm not being picky here rickard but I thought the exact opposite to you. What factors did you use to form your opinions?

saying that I actually thought he was a decent little player when used correctly(i.e. in the centre, behind the forward and not out wide) he set up a cracking goal for his current team recently, id put up the video clip(but I don't know how to post videos on here anymore!)

I'm not being picky here rickard but I thought the exact opposite to you. What factors did you use to form your opinions?

To be honest I managed to forget most of the reasons, but I'm sure it was along the lines of a young hungry up-and-coming manager is more interesting than the safe "boring" option that was/is Sam Allardyce. If only I knew then what we were up for...

Thinking Jimmy Corbett would be good as we paid a seven-figure fee for him...being excited at Vogel signing.

Vogel was underrated, in my opinion. Did a great job in the home match vs. Man Utd in April 2008 (1-1 draw, Tevez equalized two minutes before full time after a fantastic Friedel finally had to capitulate), and wasn't too shabby in the other matches I saw him play. I've noticed that most people on here seem to think he was utter Kean, though!

Thinking Jimmy Corbett would be good as we paid a seven-figure fee for him...being excited at Vogel signing.

Corbett cost £525k. That broken ankle in pre-season put paid to his career.

Vogel was underrated, in my opinion. Did a great job in the home match vs. Man Utd in April 2008 (1-1 draw, Tevez equalized two minutes before full time after a fantastic Friedel finally had to capitulate), and wasn't too shabby in the other matches I saw him play. I've noticed that most people on here seem to think he was utter Kean, though!

Yeah, Vogel was a strange one. Looked a tidy player when he first joined and then after Hughes left he fell into oblivion. Then Allardyce came in and didn't seem to rate him, either, stating his "legs had gone" - yet as you say, he looked at home against Man. Utd. Bet he had a bad attitude.

To be honest I managed to forget most of the reasons, but I'm sure it was along the lines of a young hungry up-and-coming manager is more interesting than the safe "boring" option that was/is Sam Allardyce. If only I knew then what we were up for...

I thought the Benny Mac interview was quite revealing on the subject of Ince. Given that his weaknesses were apparently highlighted when people interated with such a tosspot, I cannot fathom how he got through an interview process. Surely the purpose of the interview was to get at the man behind the record, which was ok-ish but hardly made him a shoe-in.

Got it wrong with:

Wanting Kean out at the start of last season (nobody wants to admit it but every manager we've had since has been even worse).

Not having that. Kean was the worst in living history. Go wash your mouth out.

Archived