BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brum Away

He's been relegated as much if not more than he's been promoted. He's failed to make the play offs and has lost plenty of those too. On the plus side his career win rate is good at 39%. A solid journeyman manager but no Wenger or Mourhino is he? Why the fixation?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been relegated as much if not more than he's been promoted. He's failed to make the play offs and has lost plenty of those too. On the plus side his career win rate is good at 39%. A solid journeyman manager but no Wenger or Mourhino is he? Why the fixation?

Who cares if he's been relegated from PL? We'd cross that bridge when we get to it.

What makes you think Bowyer's anymore qualified to not only get a team in the PL but keep it there?

Nothing, but why replace one average to good manager with another just for the hell of it? Crikey..... We've just beaten Ipswich for goodness sake.

Stick to your Fantasy Football and big tits Toppers and leave proper football played out on grass and in draughty stadiums in the real world to others.

Nothing, but why replace one average to good manager with another just for the hell of it? Crikey.....

Because one has a proven track record of getting teams promoted.

If McCarthy & Bowyer were both sacked today, which one would be back in management first?

We've just beaten Ipswich for goodness sake.

By your logic, that makes Poyet a better manager than Mourinho?

Stick to your Fantasy Football and big tits

Present company excepted? :tu:

I don't understand the comparisons that are being drawn, have Ipswich and burnley had 4yrs of instability, pillage and plunder?

What we've gone through in the last few years often takes years for clubs to recover from. We still have no board structure, we still have players on big wages that don't want to play and we're on the brink if the play offs.

I'm with Gordon on this one, we have far to many posters with unrealistic expectations, most brought up during the Walker era i'd suspect.

I don't understand the comparisons that are being drawn, have Ipswich and burnley had 4yrs of instability, pillage and plunder?

In Ipswich's case, yes, very much so.

I'm with Gordon on this one, we have far to many posters with unrealistic expectations, most brought up during the Walker era i'd suspect.

This is just absurd. We have one of the biggest and most expensive squads in the league and you think it's unrealistic to expect, at the very least, to be challenging for promotion? Sorry, but this kind of mentality is quite transparently a defence mechanism from the inevitable disappointment that comes with supporting Rovers these days. If you're setting your sights as low as possible, then yeah Bowyer's done a sound job. In the real world, he's underachieved with the players at his disposal and the overall quality of this league.

Am I right in thinking you both don't attend many matches?

Could be the reason you don't realise how abject in squandering points we have been. It's been a very frustrating season and someone has to cop for it.

In Ipswich's case, yes, very much so.

This is just absurd. We have one of the biggest and most expensive squads in the league and you think it's unrealistic to expect, at the very least, to be challenging for promotion? Sorry, but this kind of mentality is quite transparently a defence mechanism from the inevitable disappointment that comes with supporting Rovers these days. If you're setting your sights as low as possible, then yeah Bowyer's done a sound job. In the real world, he's underachieved with the players at his disposal and the overall quality of this league.

You seem to completely ignore the fact that the current side has been assembled whilst the season was in full swing. Look at the keeper position alone, that wasn't sorted out until Robinson came back well into the current campaign, the club captain left, Best decided he was to good to play for the club and Gestede was brought in to play alongside Rhodes.

It's unrealistic to expect even a play off spot with all the upheaval that's taken place this campaign.

Surely you can see that Topman?

• Backroom

Some of those things could have been influenced by Bowyer though, you mention the keeper situation yet he signed Eastwood, then continued with Kean long after it was apparent he was costing us point and it took several ridiculous errors before he finally acted and tried Eastwood who was also terrible as it turned out.

I also think Best could have been handled better he's not appeared to cause any trouble at Wednesday and is playing ok, although Rudy is far better so fair play there although Varney is woeful.

The club captain left which was a loss but then we didn't replace him (whilst proven bowyer was allowed to bring people in) when we only had 2 centre halves, it took injuries to those to finally act.

I expected 10th-12th but 6th place has been there for the taking for anyone down to 12th and we seem to have squandered chance after chance to push on, that is the frustration.

I'd say there's probably more positives than negatives in Bowyers reign but I'm just not convinced he can take us up, keeping him is a gamble - replacing him is also a gamble, we need to roll the dice one way or another and go for broke next season. Will they stick or twist?

(Some muddled gambling analogies there)

If that was the case - why aren't QPR going up automatically ? They have spent the most - have by far the biggest wage bill - and have an experienced manager who was once touted as the next England manager.

It is amazing how the pendulum swings - one minute our squad isn't good enough - next it is easily good enough and it is the managers fault.

Personally I think it is somewhere in the middle - the squad we have now is good enough - but only because we have added Gestede and Conway mid-season - and also Evans is now fit. Injuries have had a huge impact on our season (I respect the argument that Bowyer has to take some responsibility for this) - and had a huge impact on our consistency (you only need to look at the Dingles to see the benefits of an injury free squad).

Bowyer deserves a second chance - I am hoping that he has learnt from the last ten matches - and that he needs to be more offensive. He needs to sort out the fitness issues - and get rid of the deadwood still at the club.

I wonder how many matches he needs to go unbeaten to get some fans off his back ?

• Backroom

From winning positions this season, we have dropped 18 points, for whoever it was, who was asking. From a different angle, we have dropped 14 points by conceeding goals form the 84th Minute onwards.

Wonder what the flip side is as we have scored a few late goals

If that was the case - why aren't QPR going up automatically ? They have spent the most - have by far the biggest wage bill - and have an experienced manager who was once touted as the next England manager.

Redknapp's massively underachieved. No argument there.

Hiring an experienced manager is no guarantee of success but it's more often than not your best bet. I think the Yeovil & Sheff Weds games have buttressed the argument that Bowyer hasn't developed the ambition or tactical nous to win on a regular basis. The latter could be found with the right assistant, but I'm afraid the former can't be taught. Bowyer lacks the killer instinct to go for the jugular. We've seen fleeting glimpses of it (Leeds away and yesterday) but not on a consistent enough basis to convince me it will consolidate into habit.

It is amazing how the pendulum swings - one minute our squad isn't good enough - next it is easily good enough and it is the managers fault.

I've always maintained that the team is good enough for promotion. You don't need a bunch of world-beaters to get out of this league. We've had too many games where Bowyer was too afraid to win, and they could very well turn out to be costlier than people first think.

Redknapp's massively underachieved. No argument there.

Hiring an experienced manager is no guarantee of success but it's more often than not your best bet. I think the Yeovil & Sheff Weds games have buttressed the argument that Bowyer hasn't developed the ambition or tactical nous to win on a regular basis. The latter could be found with the right assistant, but I'm afraid the former can't be taught. Bowyer lacks the killer instinct to go for the jugular. We've seen fleeting glimpses of it (Leeds away and yesterday) but not on a consistent enough basis to convince me it will consolidate into habit.

I've always maintained that the team is good enough for promotion. You don't need a bunch of world-beaters to get out of this league. We've had too many games where Bowyer was too afraid to win, and they could very well turn out to be costlier than people first think.

I think the inconsistency we have shown is more down to a lack of experience throughout the entire squad and staff rather than "Bowyer hasn't developed the ambition or tactical nous to win on a regular basis"

Remember when Big Sam first came and we played City at home? 2-0 with 10 minutes to go and it ended 2-2 (Robinho?) The Sheff Weds away game reminded me of this the other day, as it was the last time I remember a last minute equaliser really taking the wind out of me. I then sat and thought a little about what caused the City one, and I half remember Matt Derbyshire either not tracking or giving the ball away... A young inexperienced player making a mistake! Not an example of Big Sam not having the ambition or tactical nous...

We have seen a fair few of those this season, combined with a lack of confidence brought on by years of neglect in the background has led to us dropping many points for different reasons. Its going to take more than "ambition to win" to deal with a defence that seems to want to sit on top of the goal keeper as soon as the temperature rises.

If I remember rightly, this bad defending kind of started with the end of Big Sam and has never left us since.

If (and its a massive IF) we can get consistent defensive performances home and away, coupled with our ability to score lots of goals (3rd in league away?) then I think next season will be more like top 3. It's common sense really - we have averaged around 1.5 points a game. Without those 18 dropped from leading positions it'd be the magic 2 point per game ratio that guarantees playoffs at least.

Some of those things could have been influenced by Bowyer though, you mention the keeper situation yet he signed Eastwood, then continued with Kean long after it was apparent he was costing us point and it took several ridiculous errors before he finally acted and tried Eastwood who was also terrible as it turned out.

I also think Best could have been handled better he's not appeared to cause any trouble at Wednesday and is playing ok, although Rudy is far better so fair play there although Varney is woeful.

The club captain left which was a loss but then we didn't replace him (whilst proven bowyer was allowed to bring people in) when we only had 2 centre halves, it took injuries to those to finally act.

I expected 10th-12th but 6th place has been there for the taking for anyone down to 12th and we seem to have squandered chance after chance to push on, that is the frustration.

I'd say there's probably more positives than negatives in Bowyers reign but I'm just not convinced he can take us up, keeping him is a gamble - replacing him is also a gamble, we need to roll the dice one way or another and go for broke next season. Will they stick or twist?

(Some muddled gambling analogies there)

They'll stick

(no source, no ITK inside track.... just my opinion btw)

The whole point of bringing up the fact that Ipswich and McCarthy have dropped 30 points from winning positions was to show that what has happened with GB and Rovers can happened to very good and experienced managers in this league.

Perhaps in part it is down to Ipswich, having been rebuilt over almost two seasons by MM for very little money, don't have a lot of very good players and they give up the points rather than it always being MM's fault.

The same could be said of Rovers and GB, but it's more about lack of experience in Rovers' young squad rather than lack of quality.

I'm sure MM like GB has also made a few mistakes here and there.

So, Rudy scored a hat trick of headers. I'm wondering if this has been done by a Rovers player before? And if so, when was the last time? One for you stattos :P

A certain Jordan Rhodes holds the record for the fastest ever headed hat-trick. Eight minutes for HT v Exeter. Dixie Dean had the previous record.

See Lowe yet again failed to stop a cross which led to Brums first goal.

Do you mean he is good with a turntable, or at the fixed odds coupon?

Both probably............ but definitely not at football.

as much as it hurts i read a piece in the lancs evening paper on how burnley got up and how the club is run, it should how far down we have come, and how a club on ltd money should be run if there can do it so can we, we just ne3ed the right owners and people running it

Archived