BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

53 minutes ago, goozburger said:

They thought we'd appointed a Notts County academy coach as our next manager. The style of the Tweet had me going for a second, too.

Well they should know that type of post would have been in proper thread or a new thread not in the academy/under 23 thread, 

40 minutes ago, rigger said:

If it needs explaining to you, it is not worthwhile.

Not really cos it's not in the right thread for next head coach appointment is it?

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well they should know that type of post would have been in proper thread or a new thread not in the academy/under 23 thread, 

Not really cos it's not in the right thread for next head coach appointment is it?

Your answer goes to prove my last post.

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Believe it or not, sometimes people scroll through threads just browsing rather than because their in a specific topic.

Even moreso when you're a mod, scouring the site for singles and other evildoers!

*Superman Theme Tune*

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Believe it or not, sometimes people scroll through threads just browsing rather than because their in a specific topic.

Even moreso when you're a mod, scouring the site for singles and other evildoers!

*Superman Theme Tune*

Since when was it evil to be single? Sounds a bit harsh to me.

• Like 1

I wanted to raise the question of whether season 20/21 was unusually bad for U23s injuries. I wonder whether it was coincidence or whether other issues were at play. Whitehall, Saadi, Barnes and Gilsenan missed the majority of the season, I believe. Cirino missed something like  half of it. Ash Phillips was regularly out during the campaign. That's five or six starters that missed major chunks, if not most, of the season.

I believe Gilsenan injured an anterior cruciate ligament, causing long-term absence and Cirino was out with a serious hamstring injury. Whitehall will miss, apparently, another five months, with his foot injury - giving him a few months to come back and prove he's worth of a further contract extension, which will be a tall order. The others are back fit, I think.

• Like 1

• J*B changed the title to Academy & U23s
  • Backroom
3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes Ethan , Welcome to the Rovers...

First of a couple maybe from the nobbers released list......🤔

I predicted we might acquire one or two...

What's your take on Walker, @Sparks Rover?

Opinion seems to be that he's a step above Dolan talent-wise, and I rate Dolan.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

What's your take on Walker, @Sparks Rover?

Opinion seems to be that he's a step above Dolan talent-wise, and I rate Dolan.

Can be a lot better Mike.  Had him at 14s and 16s....comfy on the ball and very technical. It's a lottery really as a lot at pne didn't rate dolan like they rated Ethan.....

I'd be getting Jack Baxter too👍

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20175823.blackburn-rovers-move-released-preston-north-end-winger-ethan-walker/

For anyone who wants to read about the new recruit.

He is coming with a bit of senior experience at least. Loan stints in League Two (Carlisle, 16 apps) and Conference North (AFC Fylde, 7 apps 1 goal and Altrincham, 2 apps). Two games for PNE first team too, one in the cup and one in the Championship against Villa.

Slight concern about where his appearances have been...he had his League Two loan before his AFC Fylde loan, which suggests he didn't do great on the former. His Preston appearances were also a couple of years or so ago. Suggests he hasn't really kicked on. Maybe the experience will stand him in good stead yet though.

Reflecting on McBride's departure, I'm even more convinced that the club has made a major mistake in managing him and it's reflective of wider mismanagement of some young players. The player's valuation was relatively high after 20/21 PL2 season, finishing Rovers top scorer and helping the team to 5th in the league. Then was the moment to send him on loan to a league team or give him a few appearances with the firsts, as a sub, and his valuation would've likely grown, if he did ok.

If the club deemed him surplus, they could've possibly got money for him, on the basis of that senior experience, in a way that we did with Joe Nuttall. Instead, he gets sent out to Queen's Park in January and now goes for nothing. Of course, there's no guarentee that it would've been any different had he been managed differently - he may have failed on loan in League One/Two - but, at least, we would've tried to protect the player's valuation and development better.

Edited by riverholmes

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20175823.blackburn-rovers-move-released-preston-north-end-winger-ethan-walker/

For anyone who wants to read about the new recruit.

He is coming with a bit of senior experience at least. Loan stints in League Two (Carlisle, 16 apps) and Conference North (AFC Fylde, 7 apps 1 goal and Altrincham, 2 apps). Two games for PNE first team too, one in the cup and one in the Championship against Villa.

Slight concern about where his appearances have been...he had his League Two loan before his AFC Fylde loan, which suggests he didn't do great on the former. His Preston appearances were also a couple of years or so ago. Suggests he hasn't really kicked on. Maybe the experience will stand him in good stead yet though.

He got a lot very young...he's the nobbers youngest ever player to make a first team appearance at 16...  Nobbers have had trouble placing their young pros on loan....they've just brought in a new loan Manager....

Could be a nice move for all.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Reflecting on McBride's departure, I'm even more convinced that the club has made a major mistake in managing him and it's reflective of wider mismanagement of some young players. The player's valuation was relatively high after 20/21 PL2 season, finishing Rovers top scorer and helping the team to 5th in the league. Then was the moment to send him on loan to a league team or give him a few appearances with the firsts, as a sub, and his valuation would've likely grown, if he did ok.

If the club deemed him surplus, they could've possibly got money for him, on the basis of that senior experience, in a way that we did with Joe Nuttall. Instead, he gets sent out to Queen's Park in January and now goes for nothing. Of course, there's no guarentee that it would've been any different had he been managed differently - he may have failed on loan in League One/Two - but, at least, we would've tried to protect the player's valuation and development better.

I'm not sure McBride was ever the calibre some suggested. Alot of it was based on the amount he scored at that level, however it was majorly padded out with penalties. Nuttall had goals at senior level which is what resulted in a cash sale which I belive we were extremely lucky to get. Players at that level often go for minimal fees and a sell on %

McBrides future was his for the taking. If he didn't cut it at Queens Park I don't think he would have done at League 1 level. At most we'd have received a sell on fee. If we had we'd have still been unlikely to see anything from him in the future. 

Edit - Best of luck to him. It can't be easy being released. And hopefully he'll have the talent to forge a career in the game. I'm just not sure it is at championship level.

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

I think there is a possibility we could have managed a Nuttall type situation, probably for a bit less money. But I think the player was a bit overrated. As Ben says, a lot of his goals were penalties. From memory he only got about 8 from open play?

I do think it wasn't managed right though, that as you say he should have been sent on loan after that fairly successful PL2 season. Instead we kept him around to pad out the numbers and never used him once. He failed pretty badly in a very poor Scottish league, which doesn't bode well for how he would have done in League One or Two, but as I always say, I think momentum is extremely important, especially for young players. It's not just about opportunities, but the timing of them and the psychological effects etc. He probably expected either a decent loan or a shot in the first team, and he got neither. Then eventually he got a shite loan, which likely wasn't very motivating. The strongest personalities can shrug such things off, but not many youngsters have that, and it isn't only the strongest personalities who are capable of carving careers if managed correctly.

Overall it's not such a big deal for me in this case, as I don't think he was ever gonna be big or anything. But I do agree with you that I feel we have a wider problem in maximising the potential of young talent. That said, our overall results at it are better than basically everyone else in this league. Doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement though.

Edited by bluebruce

Not sure if this has been posted in here before, but has anyone any knowledge of the sale of Brockhall Farm which sits next to the current Academy? Currently Sold subject to conditions.

I know there was a lot of talk last year about moving the senior training centre to the academy site, but would surely make sense for Rovers to have bought this if they really are keen on developing a single site training complex. 

25686885-A395-4617-8C5F-8CF32483D524.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Not sure if this has been posted in here before, but has anyone any knowledge of the sale of Brockhall Farm which sits next to the current Academy? Currently Sold subject to conditions.

I know there was a lot of talk last year about moving the senior training centre to the academy site, but would surely make sense for Rovers to have bought this if they really are keen on developing a single site training complex. 

25686885-A395-4617-8C5F-8CF32483D524.jpeg

Asked around about this, I think if you go back a few pages you’ll find some chat about it. The area behind the trees at the Academy site is on quite a slope and wasn’t deemed financially viable to covert into pitch space apparently.

37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Asked around about this, I think if you go back a few pages you’ll find some chat about it. The area behind the trees at the Academy site is on quite a slope and wasn’t deemed financially viable to covert into pitch space apparently.

Strange. I know one of the fields is but the rest is flat. I walk my dog through there quite regularly! 

• Like 1