BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

The pitch is sodden, get the ball into the box. Just like the first team, sideways football, no end product. The pitch is not conducive to our plan A football. And again we have no plan B. Batty may become more involved in the second half as that far side of the pitch seems dryer 

18 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Just like watching the first team: everyone passing responsibility under the guise of passing the ball, play 50 passes going nowhere then lose the ball and be in immediate trouble.

I call it “ pass it around until you lose it “ football. Players who are not in a great position abdicate responsibility and pass it to somebody else in a worse position. There’s a lot of it about in modern football.. 

• Like 4

Pretty poor showing from us. Thought Gillsenan looked decent on the ball but not involved nearly enough. Batty tried hard. Apart from that we just passed it back and forth without ever threatening. 

A side note. Time wasting and a complete lack of sporting behaviour looked even worse at youth level than senior football. Not that we looked like creating much anyway but the amount of time Brentford wasted was unbelievable. Thought the referee was terrible in controlling it. Then there was an occasion where Eastham had the ball in his hands and was literally being kicked and shoved by two Brentford players. None of it looked like men against boys stuff, just pure petulance with a weak referee. Considering the level it just demonstrated to me even more how much of a slight on the game all these 'spoiling tactics' are. Something the authorities simply have to get a grip of. It ruins football as a spectacle. 

As I said though, I don't think it affected the result. We looked toothless.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Pretty poor showing from us. Thought Gillsenan looked decent on the ball but not involved nearly enough. Batty tried hard. Apart from that we just passed it back and forth without ever threatening. 

A side note. Time wasting and a complete lack of sporting behaviour looked even worse at youth level than senior football. Not that we looked like creating much anyway but the amount of time Brentford wasted was unbelievable. Thought the referee was terrible in controlling it. Then there was an occasion where Eastham had the ball in his hands and was literally being kicked and shoved by two Brentford players. None of it looked like men against boys stuff, just pure petulance with a weak referee. Considering the level it just demonstrated to me even more how much of a slight on the game all these 'spoiling tactics' are. Something the authorities simply have to get a grip of. It ruins football as a spectacle. 

As I said though, I don't think it affected the result. We looked toothless.

Totally agree 5 mins extra time. I was thinking more like 10. Ref took no action to stop Brentford's time wasting.

Rovers dominated possession but lacked any cutting edge (sound familiar). Brentford comfortably coped until Philips was sent up to disrupt them.

Anyway well done on getting this far

• Like 2

The Brentford commentary kept talking about young Coombes like he is a 12 year old.

Just seen the team sheet.

Young-Coombes

Anyway, JDT was justified in his selections by Leonard's lack of penetrative ability against a superior defence this evening. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Pretty poor showing from us. Thought Gillsenan looked decent on the ball but not involved nearly enough.

Only caught a bit of tonight's game but every time I see Gillsenan he looks the best player on the pitch, yet he doesn't seem to start many games. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Anyway, JDT was justified in his selections by Leonard's lack of penetrative ability against a superior defence this evening. 

Bit of a shame, the lad has been very good at this level all season and in seasons gone against Cat 1s.  We are at that time of year, these lads will be thinking about the beach now and ibiza etc..  A lot of academies have closed already.

Ha, just noticed Beckham on the bench for Brentford....anyone know if he got on?

Edited by Sparks Rover

Why don't our under-21's feature in the Papa Johns trophy. They would be eligible I presume, and I know we did enter it one year.

You'd hope it would be based on finishing position in the Premier League 2 the year before but it looks like it has been only actual Prem clubs for the last few seasons. 

Is it that only 16 places are available and Premier League clubs get first dibs at it? Or do we simply elect not to enter it?

Not saying it's a good idea. Just curious as to why we aren't in it.

Edited by Hasta

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Why don't our under-21's feature in the Papa Johns trophy. They would be eligible I presume, and I know we did enter it one year.

You'd hope it would be based on finishing position in the Premier League 2 the year before but it looks like it has been only actual Prem clubs for the last few seasons. 

Is it that only 16 places are available and Premier League clubs get first dibs at it? Or do we simply elect not to enter it?

Not saying it's a good idea. Just curious as to why we aren't in it.

Premier League U21 teams are given first pick at entry to the Papa Johns trophy, Rovers U21 only get invited to take part if enough Premier League teams turn it down

• Like 1

Just seen the final U21s table! Very close in the end with 3 teams tied on 28 points. Spurs went down on goal difference with their fancy academy. Bet Ash Phillips is relieved he stayed! Leicester also had a disaster with their modern multi-million pound academy too

• Like 3