BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

12 hours ago, 47er said:

When we have so many young players in our 1st team squad, I guess it follows that our youth teams are going to  be on the end of some pastings.

If the youngsters are going to move up through the u18’s u21’s and get to the first team squad they have to learn from the toughest games. What’s better for their development? Beating teams 5 or 6 nil, or taking a beating? The players that get disheartened are maybe not the ones who’ll make it to the first team. I’m sure the youth coaches are working with the youngsters to improve them. Bear in mind that as you say they will be younger than the opposition so the key is to keep them motivated, and I’m sure improvements will come as the season progresses.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Central League Cup that our 'reserves' are going to be participating in this season. We're in a group with Accy, Burnley, Preston and Wrexham. There are 4 groups, with 18 teams participating, all of them reserves.

I believe we're two time winners of this (64/65 and 66/67), but haven't played in it for some time? At least not so far as I can recall hearing. Accy are the current holders. Looks like our first game is against them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Central League Cup that our 'reserves' are going to be participating in this season. We're in a group with Accy, Burnley, Preston and Wrexham. There are 4 groups, with 18 teams participating, all of them reserves.

I believe we're two time winners of this (64/65 and 66/67), but haven't played in it for some time? At least not so far as I can recall hearing. Accy are the current holders. Looks like our first game is against them.

It was the actual Central League Championship that we won in those years under the guidance of Eric Bell.  The Central League Cup is a more recent competition to give Central League clubs some extra games. 

When we won the League, twice in the sixties, it was a 42 game League with all matches played at Ewood Park - alternate Saturdays with the first team and a few midweek fixtures thrown in.  It was a proper competition in those days with international players of some repute taking part if they weren't in the first team.  Youngsters came up against experienced pros week in and week out.  Totally different from the present system.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

It was the actual Central League Championship that we won in those years under the guidance of Eric Bell.  The Central League Cup is a more recent competition to give Central League clubs some extra games. 

When we won the League, twice in the sixties, it was a 42 game League with all matches played at Ewood Park - alternate Saturdays with the first team and a few midweek fixtures thrown in.  It was a proper competition in those days with international players of some repute taking part if they weren't in the first team.  Youngsters came up against experienced pros week in and week out.  Totally different from the present system.

I refereed in the Central (or Pontins) League for a time and it was really good standard. All the games were played at the home clubs stadiums and invariably had a mix of experience and youth as you say. The competition was usually quite fierce with players at both ends of the age spectrum looking to prove a point. It was a sad day for football when the powers that be decided to scrap reserve leagues and replace them with restrictive age football.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, unsall said:

Game streamed on WBA web site need to register currently 1 1 Rovers missed a penalty 

Now 2-2 after we took a 2-1 lead. Their equaliser was a direct result of over playing at the back.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, unsall said:

It was, but we are playing some good stuff, enjoyable game.

They are but I don't like over playing in the wrong areas. The yards further up field is far less riskier.

The stream has gone offline now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

My take on what I saw, is that we have a tendency to over-play the ball, and the final delivery into the box is poor. West Brom were physically stronger than us

The bold part is very likely by instruction, especially in playing out from the back, completely agree with the rest though

Edited by KentExile

22 hours ago, arbitro said:

I refereed in the Central (or Pontins) League for a time and it was really good standard. All the games were played at the home clubs stadiums and invariably had a mix of experience and youth as you say. The competition was usually quite fierce with players at both ends of the age spectrum looking to prove a point. It was a sad day for football when the powers that be decided to scrap reserve leagues and replace them with restrictive age football.

the current system in no way prepares you for league football,the few times iv`e been to leyland it  resembles a testimonial at times

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the current system in no way prepares you for league football,the few times iv`e been to leyland it  resembles a testimonial at times

It is going to be even worse, with promotion/relegation being scrapped.

• Like 1