BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Huddersfield Away

Bowyer talking about how Conway has ten assists for the season made me take a look at the assists stats for the league. Guess who is second in the league, with 13 assists? Alan Judge.

I like Conway but I think his assist column will look a little bare next season if he doesn't have Rudy's bonce to aim for !

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gestede and Rhodes must be really teed off. They do their job most weeks only for their efforts to be tossed away.

You'd forgive them for feeling they should be playing somewhere else.

By all accounts Rhodes had a couple of chances to make it 3-1 - yes the team defending is awful - but we have missed a lot of chances this season.

I enjoyed the game yesterday. Both teams wanted to score right to the end. Probably a fair result, though we played better in the second half than the first, despite the score.

Sorry. Don't want to do the lad a disservice but if Paul Taylor is the answer, I'm not sure what the question is. Conway looked very bright. Defence jittery at times but with such an inexperienced pairing - left back crock for most of the season and a rookie youngster - not to mention too younger prospects at full back, we did well. Their centre forward thought the defence was fair game and went for it most of the match.

Final thought. I have watched at least half of our games this season. It has been clear that conceding goals was the main reason for our falling short. After yesterday's game though, I am not convinced that it is the fault of the defence itself. We don't hold the ball well. I believe that Rudy is the main reason for that. I know that sounds perverse. He's a great target man. He has real presence. But we lack the personnel to make the difference. We give the ball back to the other team far too often when we try to attack.

I think the reason is that our lack of pace or trickery means that the opposition defence can play well up the pitch. They know full well that any balls behind them will not be picked up by our forwards. We just don't have the players. Most of the games this season have been played in the two thirds of the pitch we are defending. It's not rocket science. Opposition teams can squeeze our play into our half. it is only a matter of time before this is turned into goals no matter how the team plays and who the players are. We really need someone who can play behind not just in front of their defence. The opposition would then have to abandon the high line that they have all worked out they can play against us.

I have not seen a game this season when we have forced the other team to play in their own third for long periods. That is massive problem over a season. it might come off occasionally and against the poorer teams. But against the better ones, it is bound to fail. I reckon it would be better to let Rudy go, keep Rhodes and get King signed on, plus some others, O'Sullivan comes to mind. We need to find a way of playing to Rhodes poaching strengths. We need the ball more often in and around the box. Take some pressure off the defence and force their defence and midfield to watch the space in front of their keeper. At the moment, I could probably sweep up for the better teams. And I'm in my fifties.

We have dropped total of 22 points from winning positions. Add that to woeful games v Rotherham, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Derby, Brum, Bolton and you see where we could have been.

Gary Bowyer as good as he has been settling the club is no longer the man to take us forward.

A very poor ending to the season that promised so much.

Just seen the highlights posted by Rovers. What's glaringly obvious is how dreadful Evans and Williamson are. The Huddersfield players waltz through the centre of the park on a couple of occasions in a short clip, and I hear from those at the game it happened constantly. Can't believe Evans cost around £800k (according to transfermarkt). For me, he'd be first out the door this summer if we could find an adequate replacement (shouldn't be difficult).

Terrific work by Rhodes for Rudy's goal, after a bad touch he makes up for it with some nice footwork and a neat pass. Lucky Rudy got the deflection but it makes a pleasant change seeing it deflect in, unlike Rhodes's late effort that unfortunately deflected over. I do think Rhodes has shown more to his game recently and I truly think keeping hold of him has to be one of our top priorities this summer or else next season will look even bleaker.

We have dropped total of 22 points from winning positions. Add that to woeful games v Rotherham, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Derby, Brum, Bolton and you see where we could have been.

Gary Bowyer as good as he has been settling the club is no longer the man to take us forward.

A very poor ending to the season that promised so much.

22 would have us 2nd.

Final thought. I have watched at least half of our games this season. It has been clear that conceding goals was the main reason for our falling short. After yesterday's game though, I am not convinced that it is the fault of the defence itself. We don't hold the ball well. I believe that Rudy is the main reason for that. I know that sounds perverse. He's a great target man. He has real presence. But we lack the personnel to make the difference. We give the ball back to the other team far too often when we try to attack.

I think the reason is that our lack of pace or trickery means that the opposition defence can play well up the pitch. They know full well that any balls behind them will not be picked up by our forwards. We just don't have the players. Most of the games this season have been played in the two thirds of the pitch we are defending. It's not rocket science. Opposition teams can squeeze our play into our half. it is only a matter of time before this is turned into goals no matter how the team plays and who the players are. We really need someone who can play behind not just in front of their defence. The opposition would then have to abandon the high line that they have all worked out they can play against us.

Exactly. If the opposition don't have the ball they can't score. We huff and puff to get it and then give it straight back to the opposition.

Exactly. If the opposition don't have the ball they can't score. We huff and puff to get it and then give it straight back to the opposition.

There are times when sitting back, absorbing pressure and hitting on the counter with direct football can work. However, I've seldom seen it be successful in the Championship. Certainly not when the defensive organisation of the team is so questionable.

We need to try and impose a high-possession tactic where we operate in the final third and keep the opposition pinned back. This team have shown in glimpses we have the quality to do this, however under Bowyer I can never see us adopting such a mentality. Certainly not without a few additions and a complete change of heart from what he has been doing the last two and a half years. We've all highlighted Bowyer's mistakes and I'd wager the majority of them have been acknowledged from the beginning, with a few more chucked in there more recently. Bottom line is, none of these glaring errors seem to have been (or being) rectified.

The amount of times we lump the ball up to the strikers just to see it come straight back is ridiculous. Not the fault of our frontmen however, it's just a square peg, round hole concept implemented by GB. I think we lose many-a-point in central midfield. Evans, Williamson and Spearing don't protect the back four and they certainly aren't good on the ball. They rarely score or assist or offer anything to us going forward, and IMO are questionable even in their defensive duties.

I for one am looking forward to Lowe returning as I think he's superior to all three, and play him with someone who has the talent and drive to dictate play and we could start winning the battles in the centre of the park. Play Lowe with any of the aforementioned centre mids and he's left having to try and become something he's not, a creative midfielder. Let Lowe do the dirty work and have Cairney (or someone else) work the ball and we could improve. I am hesitant in believing Cairney could fulfil this role as a playmaker as he has been poor this season, which is a shame as he showed much promise last term. I don't think sticking him wide right or so long helped anyone but do believe under the right guidance he could be a very good Championship CM, he just needs someone working alongside him to relieve the pressure and Evans/Williamson/Spearing do not fit the bill.

I for one am looking forward to Lowe returning as I think he's superior to all three, and play him with someone who has the talent and drive to dictate play and we could start winning the battles in the centre of the park. Play Lowe with any of the aforementioned centre mids and he's left having to try and become something he's not, a creative midfielder. Let Lowe do the dirty work and have Cairney (or someone else) work the ball and we could improve. I am hesitant in believing Cairney could fulfil this role as a playmaker as he has been poor this season, which is a shame as he showed much promise last term. I don't think sticking him wide right or so long helped anyone but do believe under the right guidance he could be a very good Championship CM, he just needs someone working alongside him to relieve the pressure and Evans/Williamson/Spearing do not fit the bill.

would you play Cairney in the number 10 role in 4-2-3-1 formation and let him be the team playmaker or in centre midfield with Lowe or Evans?

We have gained a fair few from losing positions as well. We have been worse than the 8 teams above us in every area of the game. Even if we had held our own against the top 8 we would have challenged but so far we have 8 points in 15 games which speaks volumes.

would you play Cairney in the number 10 role in 4-2-3-1 formation and let him be the team playmaker or in centre midfield with Lowe or Evans?

For me - obviously depending if still here next season :-

Henley - Kilgallon - Duffy - Olsson

Evans - Lowe

Conway - Cairney - Marshall

King (or Gestede)

All falls down as don't think Gestede or King will be available.

As far as Cairney's form this season - IMO we shoudn't give up on him too soon - there is no reason he can't recover to the form of last season - he has always been very one footed, but what a left foot. One aspect o fhis poor form this season could be the loss of Lowe - I know lots of people on the MB don't rate him, but he is often one of those players that allows others to shine, by always passing and moving and being available to do the dirty work.

I'd try both tbh. It very much depends on who we bring in. If we can sign a solid box to box midfielder I'd play Cairney in the hole. If we can sign a talented attacking CM, I'd be intrigued to see what Cairney could do a little deeper with Lowe alongside him. For me, CM is our weakest position as neither Evans, Williamson or Spearing are remotely good in the centre of the park. None of them win the ball back nor pressure the opposition and all offer absolutely zilch going forward. That's why I rate Lowe over all three of them. At least alongside Lowe, Cairney has a bit of protection and with a ballplayer alongside him, Lowe can do the simple things without being relied on to create much.

Just to emphasise, I'd keep Evans as far away from the starting 11 as possible. He can't defend, he can't create, he's literally a complete passenger.

• Moderation Lead

Another ground ticked off, poor result, and also a big LOL at the Town fans getting on the pitch and offering out the away end. They had a combined age of about 7. Jokers.

For me - obviously depending if still here next season :-

Henley - Kilgallon - Duffy - Olsson

Evans - Lowe

Conway - Cairney - Marshall

King (or Gestede)

All falls down as don't think Gestede or King will be available.

As far as Cairney's form this season - IMO we shoudn't give up on him too soon - there is no reason he can't recover to the form of last season - he has always been very one footed, but what a left foot. One aspect o fhis poor form this season could be the loss of Lowe - I know lots of people on the MB don't rate him, but he is often one of those players that allows others to shine, by always passing and moving and being available to do the dirty work.

So you'd play King as our main striker and leave Rhodes on the bench? That doesn't seem at all sensible unless you're assuming he's already left? Expecting King to become a 20+ goal a season striker all of a sudden is hopeful to say the least. I'd be surprised if he stays fit for 20 games. Gestede is gone so let's forget about him.

Evans and Lowe together worries me. I'd sooner see Lenihan alongside Lowe as he looks like he might put a challenge in at least. He seemed to play more forward balls to feet from centre half than Evans manages from midfield.

I think if we are going to play Cairney then he has to be our playmaker.

I like you team DavidMailsTightPerm tbh. Cairney would be our playmaker and Evans would play as the box to box midfielder and Lowe as defensive midfielder.

Question is will Gestede, Rhodes or King even been here next season. I think at least 2 of them will be gone by the start of the season.

The simple answer to retain possession is for the entire team to work hard, make themselves available to receive the ball in space and play pass and move football. Leaves the opponents chasing shadows and frequently demoralises them.

I like you team DavidMailsTightPerm tbh. Cairney would be our playmaker and Evans would play as the box to box midfielder and Lowe as defensive midfielder.

Question is will Gestede, Rhodes or King even been here next season. I think at least 2 of them will be gone by the start of the season.

Do you honestly think Evans can operate as a box-to-box midfielder? Personally I think he is lacking in near all the key attributes required.

I think the one we have the most chance of keeping is Rhodes. I am certain Gestede will be gone after his latest interview stating he wants to be in the Prem next season. King doesn't look like signing a new deal at the moment either. I like King and think he could be a very useful player for us. However I wouldn't have him as our first choice lone striker for a number of reasons.

So you'd play King as our main striker and leave Rhodes on the bench? That doesn't seem at all sensible unless you're assuming he's already left? Expecting King to become a 20+ goal a season striker all of a sudden is hopeful to say the least. I'd be surprised if he stays fit for 20 games. Gestede is gone so let's forget about him.

Evans and Lowe together worries me. I'd sooner see Lenihan alongside Lowe as he looks like he might put a challenge in at least. He seemed to play more forward balls to feet from centre half than Evans manages from midfield.

I am assuming that Rhodes and probably Gestede (hence why he was only in brackets) would be gone. King is an unknown quantity as a striker - without doubt (taking aside his goals in the FA Cup) his finishing can be hit and miss - however his pace and strength will create more chances - so though he may miss more than Rhodes he could still score a reasonable return (all this again assumes he can stay fit for a season).

Do you honestly think Evans can operate as a box-to-box midfielder? Personally I think he is lacking in near all the key attributes required.

I think the one we have the most chance of keeping is Rhodes. I am certain Gestede will be gone after his latest interview stating he wants to be in the Prem next season. King doesn't look like signing a new deal at the moment either. I like King and think he could be a very useful player for us. However I wouldn't have him as our first choice lone striker for a number of reasons.

Excellent post. Spot on. The only thing Evans can do is become invisible. If people slate Rhodes for his workrate, how Evans almost getting there gets away with so little work is beyond belief. Worst cm I've seen at Ewood, and to think I thought he looked promising at first...

As for strikers Rhodes is the only one we'll keep, on account of his wages, and the transfer fee we'd demand. King would be an idiot to stay and I think GB will want rid of Gestede as it justifies his position to Madame. Mind you if I were Rhodes I'd want out too, but hopefully we can hang on to at least one forward option who can score.

I'm very unsure whether Rhodes will be here next season tbh. I expecting some PL clubs to come in for him whether the bid is enough is a different question.

what are your reason about King.

for me, King needs to play with target man type of striker IMO

Sorry mate but Evans just isn't a box to box midfielder. on a really good day he gets about side to side but mostly just operates in one area of the pitch and moves the ball ever so slowly side to side. I reckon there is more in his locker than he shows us but he a large part of the reason we play so painfully slow and don't get a grip on the first/second balls in there.

Archived