BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Huddersfield Away

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd try both tbh. It very much depends on who we bring in. If we can sign a solid box to box midfielder I'd play Cairney in the hole. If we can sign a talented attacking CM, I'd be intrigued to see what Cairney could do a little deeper with Lowe alongside him. For me, CM is our weakest position as neither Evans, Williamson or Spearing are remotely good in the centre of the park. None of them win the ball back nor pressure the opposition and all offer absolutely zilch going forward. That's why I rate Lowe over all three of them. At least alongside Lowe, Cairney has a bit of protection and with a ballplayer alongside him, Lowe can do the simple things without being relied on to create much.

Just to emphasise, I'd keep Evans as far away from the starting 11 as possible. He can't defend, he can't create, he's literally a complete passenger.

There is a lot of sense in that. Evans has been by far our worst player this season and is forever on a yellow card. Spearing is a lot better but still not brilliant. Without Cairney the team is bereft of ideas. I know he has his detractors but without him there is no playmaker in the side.

Final thought. I have watched at least half of our games this season. It has been clear that conceding goals was the main reason for our falling short. After yesterday's game though, I am not convinced that it is the fault of the defence itself. We don't hold the ball well. I believe that Rudy is the main reason for that. I know that sounds perverse. He's a great target man. He has real presence. But we lack the personnel to make the difference. We give the ball back to the other team far too often when we try to attack.

That was a point I made after seeing Rovers win at both Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton. I know it won't be popular on here but what I saw was Chris Brown working his socks off, winning and retaining possession. At Hillsborough we were 2-0 up at half time and then conceded early in the second half. Most fans would assume we would crumble at this stage and concede again, but in truth we never really looked like not winning the game. Sae thing but somewhat easier win at The Valley.

Just seen the highlights posted by Rovers. What's glaringly obvious is how dreadful Evans and Williamson are. The Huddersfield players waltz through the centre of the park on a couple of occasions in a short clip, and I hear from those at the game it happened constantly. Can't believe Evans cost around £800k (according to transfermarkt). For me, he'd be first out the door this summer if we could find an adequate replacement

I agree but unfortunately we all said the same thing during the last 2 close seasons and it hasn't got any better. Since Jermaine Jones came in for 6 months and stopped Steve Kean getting relegated at the first attempt, we have never had any decent central midfielder. We have bought shed loads of wingers and, when fit, have numerous defensive options. However this key position has never been addressed.

Unfortunately I do not share your optimism with Lowe. His ability is proven as being 'limited' and, as I have said every season since we came down, if he plays more than half the games in midfield for Rovers there is no way we will get promoted.

Lowe is no world beater but he's head and shoulders better than Evans and Williamson. There is no hope with that pair in midfield. Of what we have at the moment I would play Lowe, Spearing and Cairney as a midfield three. with two wingers and one striker, probably King if the manager does his job.

Lowe is no world beater but he's head and shoulders better than Evans and Williamson. There is no hope with that pair in midfield. Of what we have at the moment I would play Lowe, Spearing and Cairney as a midfield three. with two wingers and one striker, probably King if the manager does his job.IF HE HAD AN END PRODUCT THAT ONLY COMES INTO FRUITION ONCE EVERY 3 SEASONS

That's what £5 a ticket does I guess.

Was there any explanation on why Rovers fans were charged £24 in advance but only £20 on the gate?

Thanks Mark I hadn't realised it was cheap tickets in the home end.

There are times when sitting back, absorbing pressure and hitting on the counter with direct football can work. However, I've seldom seen it be successful in the Championship. Certainly not when the defensive organisation of the team is so questionable.

We need to try and impose a high-possession tactic where we operate in the final third and keep the opposition pinned back. This team have shown in glimpses we have the quality to do this, however under Bowyer I can never see us adopting such a mentality. Certainly not without a few additions and a complete change of heart from what he has been doing the last two and a half years. We've all highlighted Bowyer's mistakes and I'd wager the majority of them have been acknowledged from the beginning, with a few more chucked in there more recently. Bottom line is, none of these glaring errors seem to have been (or being) rectified.

The amount of times we lump the ball up to the strikers just to see it come straight back is ridiculous. Not the fault of our frontmen however, it's just a square peg, round hole concept implemented by GB. I think we lose many-a-point in central midfield. Evans, Williamson and Spearing don't protect the back four and they certainly aren't good on the ball. They rarely score or assist or offer anything to us going forward, and IMO are questionable even in their defensive duties.

I for one am looking forward to Lowe returning as I think he's superior to all three, and play him with someone who has the talent and drive to dictate play and we could start winning the battles in the centre of the park. Play Lowe with any of the aforementioned centre mids and he's left having to try and become something he's not, a creative midfielder. Let Lowe do the dirty work and have Cairney (or someone else) work the ball and we could improve. I am hesitant in believing Cairney could fulfil this role as a playmaker as he has been poor this season, which is a shame as he showed much promise last term. I don't think sticking him wide right or so long helped anyone but do believe under the right guidance he could be a very good Championship CM, he just needs someone working alongside him to relieve the pressure and Evans/Williamson/Spearing do not fit the bill.

Shouldn't Rovers be doing a £5 promotional for Saturday?

No. In case it's passed you by SG we are borassic and under a transfer embargo. Chucking income away is hardly the right move toward solving the demands of FFP is it? Maybe if you were to approach the players and their agents as well as BRFC staff etc and suggest they all forfeit 75% of their wages next week and they agree then it maybe a go er.

That's what £5 a ticket does I guess.

Was there any explanation on why Rovers fans were charged £24 in advance but only £20 on the gate?

Alan Myers was emailed about this on Saturday afternoon, he was unaware of the situation. He did reply saying that he had contacted the Huddersfield CEO about it. I will update when a reason is passed back.

• Moderation Lead

Alan Myers was emailed about this on Saturday afternoon, he was unaware of the situation. He did reply saying that he had contacted the Huddersfield CEO about it. I will update when a reason is passed back.

Aye, I was most unhappy about that!!!

Archived